Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s a shame. Always want to root for a local kid but I think it is fair to say it was time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember an early appearance by JP. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it was Richie who stormed down the right and scored a goal. Perruzza was open in front of the goal and even after it went in still contained loudly (with body language) that he should have been passed the ball. I've been expecting this news since that day, very surprised it didn't come earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    I remember an early appearance by JP. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it was Richie who stormed down the right and scored a goal. Perruzza was open in front of the goal and even after it went in still contained loudly (with body language) that he should have been passed the ball. I've been expecting this news since that day, very surprised it didn't come earlier.
    Yep, it was this one
    Last edited by rydermike; 05-21-2024 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t speak to the guy’s character overall but feels more like a moment where eagerness got the best of him as opposed to someone who is outright a selfish prick. As a striker too, you’ve got to be hungry.

I might be inclined to take it over many of our academy grads who don’t seem to have much in the way of competitive fire.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most strikers at this level make a "but you should have..." gesture when they think they were open.

Prince did it on Bernes third goal on Saturday. But he quickly pumped his fists in celebration when the ball went in

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember this game. Richie was being a big ball hog and Jordan was free for a pass and better shooting opportunity 2 or 3 x prior to this play. This play was similar to the other ones where Richie was selfish and took it all himself but luckily scored on this attempt. I kinda of understood Jordan's frustration since all three times his positioning should have been the first option to pass. I don't hold that gesture against him even though he should have celebrated with Richie since he's the rookie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I remember this game. Richie was being a big ball hog and Jordan was free for a pass and better shooting opportunity 2 or 3 x prior to this play. This play was similar to the other ones where Richie was selfish and took it all himself but luckily scored on this attempt. I kinda of understood Jordan's frustration since all three times his positioning should have been the first option to pass. I don't hold that gesture against him even though he should have celebrated with Richie since he's the rookie.
    Same thing happened with the rookie wingback yesterday. Had Mailula standing central and open ten feet from goal and tried a tight angle shot instead. I don't mind selfish when it's an easy chance, but wingbacks thinking they're going to score from acute angles aren't helping anyone (unless they're Kobe Franklin playing an amateur and can bank it off the defender, I guess. Yeesh, that was a harsh game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to MLS Multiplex, the news stirring behind the scenes involves Toronto FC's interest in Corinthians defender Raul Gustavo. At 25, the Brazilian defender is on the verge of terminating his contract with the São Paulo club and is one of the names on the Canadian team's "Discovery List," giving them priority in negotiations. But is Raul Gustavo truly the answer to Toronto FC's defensive woes?

its probs a rumour before the gomis pickup.he is a left foot CB
    Last edited by reggie; 05-23-2024 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    May fit just a little too well with Herdman’s Ruff Necks

https://www.sambafoot.com/blog/news/...nthians-defeat
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-23-2024 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    its probs a rumour before the gomis pickup.he is a left foot CB
    Maybe; source seems to be Brazilian. Interesting but not an exciting candidate; though he kinda fits a defender profile. Rumour is negotiations are ongoing to have club terminate contract; IIUC, valid until end of Y24? Also, IIUC, his salary is about USD375K? He seems to play L-CB in a Back Four or C-CB in a Back Three. Perhaps the thinking is a role as part of a primary and interchangeable Back Three of Gomis, Gustavo and Long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, as GMoney first noticed and pointed out on X, the article suggests Shane O’Neill is departing TFC.

Brazilian/Portuguese version/translation of article…

‘A club can put up to five players on the Discovery List, and can remove and add athletes throughout the season. At TFC, Raul Gustavo is one of them. Strengthening the defense is one of the team's priorities in the mid-year window, with the possible departure of Irishman Shane O'Neill’.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-24-2024 at 06:05 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Maybe; source seems to be Brazilian. Interesting but not an exciting candidate; though he kinda fits a defender profile. Rumour is negotiations are ongoing to have club terminate contract; IIUC, valid until end of Y24? Also, IIUC, his salary is about USD375K? He seems to play L-CB in a Back Four or C-CB in a Back Three. Perhaps the thinking is a role as part of a primary and interchangeable Back Three of Gomis, Gustavo and Long?
    Of all the acquisitions we've made, I don't think any of them have actually been flashy. Maybe Matty Longstaff based on pedigree, but at this point, Hernandez/Herdman (mostly Herdman) have earned my trust on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feels a bit overdone at this stage? Not sure it addresses needs the way someone at a different position would.

My bet is, this is something they did without knowing Gomis would work out as well as he has.

While it sounds like he has some flexibility (can play in the middle or on the left side of the line), they’d probably be more interested in a right footed CB at this stage or someone who can play elsewhere on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think O'Neill's going anywhere and MLS Multiplex is just a rumour mill. It has no ongoing track record of accuracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    After all our years of overpaying for players, it probably needs to be said: Long and Gomis are underpaid. Long should be on at least 350K, and Gomis should be on at least 200K. I'd say based on their skill level and performances that that would be true at any club.

For Gomis to be on league minimum seems genuinely wrong. Long's making decent coin, so I can't knock it. But for his pedigree and performance levels, he's a little low.
    Same. While I hate seeing bad contracts, I also would like to see players rewarded when they perform.

I know the supplemental salaries do increase each year, so I assume Gomis will get a nice pay bump next season. I know there's a max salary for supp staff so I wonder if he gets the bump to the senior roster to allow them to pay him closer to his worth.

Long is on club option. I assume he gets a nice pay bump, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Missing SJ for both games next week. Didn't think we'd be losing players for int window but forgot US likes to call their guys in early. Not sure when Marsch will call the Canadian guys in but I also wonder if that squad will vary slightly due to the European location. Maybe not all MLS guys go over & he looks at more European guys?

Spicer, Osorio, Laryea, Johnson, Flores & Etienne probably all heading out due to CONCACAF national team obligations. I don't believe we're losing anyone outside of CONCACAF. We'll lose JMR to the U20's in July/Aug (good news is Franklin, Thompson & Kerr are too old. I think this tournament will qualify JMR for an English VISA but don't quote me on that). At least we're only losing 3 during Copa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    TouchlineTFC on X suggesting SJ will be available for the Wednesday Philadelphia match despite having to report for USMNT selection on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahem, reports are Alex Sandro will be available after tomorrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herdman said in his presser SJ is not going until the Int Window starts - so after the DCU game.

He expect SJ to be gone for all of the Copa - earliest back would be July 3rd.

So 4 games for Gavran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Herdman said in his presser SJ is not going until the Int Window starts - so after the DCU game. He expect SJ to be gone for all of the Copa - earliest back would be July 3rd. So 4 games for Gavran.
    Are you sure? IIRC, Herdman only stated SJ would be around for the Philadelphia match; with no indication made about DC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahem, reports are Alex Sandro will be available after tomorrow.
    Can he still play? Loved him when he was younger.

Don't these types of players always wind up in Istanbul?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure? IIRC, Herdman only stated SJ would be around for the Philadelphia match; with no indication made about DC.
    Its funny - Herdman says "We'll have him for Philly - The Fifa window doesn't open until after that game" but the window starts June 3rd after the DCU game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC play in DC on 6/1 which is where USMNT players are reporting beginning 5/28. I would assume Berhalter gave TFC permission to start SJ on the Wednesday considering he's the 3rd GK & I assume because TFC will be chartering him over to DC with the rest of the roster & covering costs US MNT would have had to pay for SJ's commute. This is just my assumption though.

Also to note Raul Gustavo scored in a training game today. So no sign of a mutual term yet but their coach has been talking about moving players along that aren't getting playing time. Make of it what you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Can he still play? Loved him when he was younger. Don't these types of players always wind up in Istanbul?
    I think he has lost a half step. Suspect the issue was his age/33, his salary/Euro11M+ and his longevity at Juve. Was getting 35+ appearances until this season; with play time halved? Still, he has that Herdman profile; several positions of CB, FB, WB, etc. Depends on his desire/intention and salary expectation. Main rumour is Brazil; though can see him going to Türkiye or KSA. If Brazil, I doubt he would be getting half of what he earned at Juve; likely not even third? So, MLS could be a fit for him for a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he has lost a half step. Suspect the issue was his age/33, his salary/Euro11M+ and his longevity at Juve. Was getting 35+ appearances until this season; with play time halved? Still, he has that Herdman profile; several positions of CB, FB, WB, etc. Depends on his desire/intention and salary expectation. Main rumour is Brazil; though can see him going to Türkiye or KSA. If Brazil, I doubt he would be getting half of what he earned at Juve; likely not even third? So, MLS could be a fit for him for a couple of years.
    I struggle to see any MLS side giving him DP money. TAM for sure and I would do that but nothing more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandro seems to me like the player we should have pursued … if we didn’t have Richie.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People don't like playing against Prince

Worth keeping, I think and focus on the midfield and defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People don't like playing against Prince

Worth keeping, I think and focus on the midfield and defence.
    We still need a second #9 though even with Prince. We have literally no off the bench #9... Kerr is not it.

But agree otherwise. When Flores came off last night the whole midfield shape collapsed.

Badly need 1-2 more CBs and another quality DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    We still need a second #9 though even with Prince. We have literally no off the bench #9... Kerr is not it. But agree otherwise. When Flores came off last night the whole midfield shape collapsed. Badly need 1-2 more CBs and another quality DM.
    Agree. We need a 9/Inside Forward; Kerr not it; either to complement Prince or vice-versa. Another quality CB or two would be welcomed. Another DM would be ideal. Only dilemma is the type/direction of midfield and/or forward moves. Depending on those, Osorio likely then becomes the next player most affected/displaced. As the Captain who just massaged his contract for the club, I suspect the FO will try to temper any of their strategic decisions to least affect his standing/playing time.