0 Thread(s)

Lol

Insigne joined in the 80 minute clap from the bench

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man.... the cultural moment of that game..

We may get smacked by Cinci next week

But nobody is going to doubt how this team is Toronto till they Die

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great win, but we're slipping further down the standings. If we keep winning 1, losing 2, we could be in danger of not even making the playoffs.

But I guess if we're looking at this year as a rebuilding year, then we should just savour days like today.

I still can't believe that Bob Bradley managed to do such a fucking terrible job with mostly the same group of players and that we effectively lost an entire year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a glorious night at BMO, Every game I get to watch Spicer play makes last season feels a little less painful, so glad we didn’t waste that pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Great win, but we're slipping further down the standings. If we keep winning 1, losing 2, we could be in danger of not even making the playoffs.

But I guess if we're looking at this year as a rebuilding year, then we should just savour days like today.

I still can't believe that Bob Bradley managed to do such a fucking terrible job with mostly the same group of players and that we effectively lost an entire year.
    We're slipping due to NYCFCs amazing run as of late mostly.

Also need to be realistic , we are not going to sit in 3rd place all season.

But yea we definitely can't win one, lose two.

If we go .500 the rest of the season we will make the playoffs. That seems very possible and hopefully with some summer reinforcements to ensure it.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 05-19-2024 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fede apparently suspended next match for yellow card accumulation...

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, win one, lose two, is not bad when you are not having a good run of games. Three points from three games. It's when the draws accumulate, those really drop you in the standings. Like Nashville.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not hung up on our final position in the standings this year. If we slip too far maybe we get the benefit of getting rid of Manning once and for all.

Otherwise, the team is making all the progress we could ask for given the constraints on the group and all the awful legacy contracts we are shouldering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanna know what did Herdman do to motivate Fede.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
    BTW - The play by play man on Apple TV tonight Callum Williams - is by far the best I have ever heard

He can make any game sound like the Super Bowl
    Agreed. That's the first time I can honestly say I enjoyed the Apple TV broadcast more than TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the previous 2 games were an aberration, not a trend. If we continue to get healthy, I think we will get stronger as the season progresses.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given our ability to give away the ball in our own end, I don't think we are going to finish much higher then 6th. BUT...we are more organized then any team in the East outside of Cinci (Miami doesn't have to be organized) and that goes a long way.

IF we could somehow get rid of the bone head passes to their guys, we'd be #3 in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Given our ability to give away the ball in our own end, I don't think we are going to finish much higher then 6th. BUT...we are more organized then any team in the East outside of Cinci (Miami doesn't have to be organized) and that goes a long way.

IF we could somehow get rid of the bone head passes to their guys, we'd be #3 in the East.
    I think we are a bonafide striker and another defender away from being a contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having had time to digest last night's win these are my thoughts.

* Flores a beast, no doubt that has tenacity and work ethic equates to 2 players on the field.
    * Longstaff needs to be a permanent starter, replacing Oso. He plays anywhere asked of him on the field. Oso cannot do this.
    * Owusu's size and speed causes havoc for defenders. They simply cannot defend him.
    * Coello still has a number of wtf moments as you saw when Flores went over to him for support after 1 of his gaffes.
    * Once Spicer gets a step on defenders he is gone.
    * Sean Johnson made big saves when we needed them.
    * Herdman a huge factor in this revival. Has everyone bought in. Who has benefited the most, imo, defenders from last year who struggled. Petretta, Rosted, O'Neill (did not play last night) all playing much better this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was the best time I’ve had at BMO in years. Felt like 2017 again. Crowd was amazing. The Montreal supporters were belligerent for about two minutes then I never heard from them again. Great night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the highlights again this morning. I got that warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart again when thinking about this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post

* Flores a beast, no doubt that has tenacity and work ethic equates to 2 players on the field.
    * Longstaff needs to be a permanent starter, replacing Oso. He plays anywhere asked of him on the field. Oso cannot do this.
    Both these two signings have been excellent and Longstaff looks like he could be an absolute gem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think we are a bonafide striker and another defender away from being a contender.
    Yep. Really need another quality CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough I am getting the impression that Herdman wants guys with pace at LCB/RCB that can also double at WB, midfield or even winger.

Positional versatility.

I wonder if we almost see another WB that can play in different parts of the pitch. Maybe this Hilary Gong player. Does that also mean we may see Laryea at RCB a little?

I guess it depends on the profile of the opponent. Do we need size? Speed?

I almost wonder if perhaps Spicer gets the occasional look at LCB with Gomis in the middle and Long on the right once Laryea gets back & slots in at LWB.

With these potential options it makes me wonder if TFC look to add at striker first. Maybe a U22?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although this game is called the Canadian Classique, unlike Montreal we did not have a single Canadian player in our starting line-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    Although this game is called the Canadian Classique, unlike Montreal we did not have a single Canadian player in our starting line-up.
    Damnit. Guess we actually lost on Canadian aggregate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Actually, win one, lose two, is not bad when you are not having a good run of games. Three points from three games. It's when the draws accumulate, those really drop you in the standings. Like Nashville.
    Fair. Yet, not always; unlike Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    This wasn’t the ‘Canadian Championship’. I always understood it as the ‘401 Darby’ and that the ‘Canadian Classique’ reference construct was appropriated by media from the NHL/CFL rivalries. And not until during or after that ‘Greatest Ever’ TFC match- playoff of a two-leg affair in 2016 against Montreal for the first Canadian MLS club to get to the MLS Cup? I thought MLS didn’t start referencing it as such until 2018 and that Molinaro made such article references in 2017?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone on Reddit today noted that Gomis is leading the league in percentage of dribblers tackled, at 100%. He literally hasn't been beaten on the dribble once all season.

Long is tied for the lead in percentage of aerial duels won at 81.5%.

So basically, we have the centre half with the best tackling record and the centre half with the best aerial record. I'd wager by the end of the year, Rosted will be up there in blocks, too, as he's been exceptional in that one area.

This was really smart defensive building on a budget. They've gotten guys who are all-around solid, but also specialize in complimentary areas.

Feels like Etienne is a similar smart signing. Used as just winger or wide forward, he is inconsistent. Used in a more free role under the striker, with room to go both ways, and he's way more dangerous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of our goals again happen after a giveaway or a set piece - breaking us down is difficult.

I think we need another CB because eventually Long & O'Neill are going to show signs of age and I would rather we get someone in to learn under them - Mabika is not that guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hadn't been to a match since before covid. Sure picked a good one to attend on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Someone on Reddit today noted that Gomis is leading the league in percentage of dribblers tackled, at 100%. He literally hasn't been beaten on the dribble once all season.

Long is tied for the lead in percentage of aerial duels won at 81.5%.

So basically, we have the centre half with the best tackling record and the centre half with the best aerial record. I'd wager by the end of the year, Rosted will be up there in blocks, too, as he's been exceptional in that one area.

This was really smart defensive building on a budget. They've gotten guys who are all-around solid, but also specialize in complimentary areas.

Feels like Etienne is a similar smart signing. Used as just winger or wide forward, he is inconsistent. Used in a more free role under the striker, with room to go both ways, and he's way more dangerous.
    Herdman talks a lot about “player profiles” while scouting etc. So, this was probably by design (or at least I hope so).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I hadn't been to a match since before covid. Sure picked a good one to attend on Saturday.
    Same here. I told my son 15 mins into the game that attendance was somehere in the 28K, which was in the ball park.

BTW: one many seats at BMO field in the current configuration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Same here. I told my son 15 mins into the game that attendance was somehere in the 28K, which was in the ball park.

BTW: one many seats at BMO field in the current configuration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Merci!