Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need another DM to be our #2 - Coello ain't it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We need another DM to be our #2 - Coello ain't it.
    He's really not. He wasn't just a liability passing; there were two sequences where he was caught so far forward and so much behind the play that they basically had a free channel to goal.

He has great technique and a couple of his long passes late set us up for a couple of chances. So I can see his value. But the bad decisions and lack of mobility are really making him a problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn’t a CM. Could he turn into a defender, a la Lovitz?

He has skill on the ball. He can tackle. What he can't seem to do is read the play, ie judge time and space in these 50/50 situations …. He gets beaten, is late to the ball, or gets dispossessed repeatedly. Plus he cannot stop making mistakes with square balls that just cannot be turnovers …

The elite thing he does is the long ball across the field. He has landed those on the dime repeatedly. He looks like Beckham when he does that.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

He has skill on the ball. He can tackle. What he can't seem to do is read the play, ie judge time and space in these 50/50 situations …. He gets beaten, is late to the ball, or gets dispossessed repeatedly. Plus he cannot stop making mistakes with square balls that just cannot be turnovers …

The elite thing he does is the long ball across the field. He has landed those on the dime repeatedly. He looks like Beckham when he does that.
    He’s slow of foot and I think it limits where he can play. Against Dallas he was fabulous spraying balls forward and he didn’t make any real mistakes. All the same I wasn’t upset that he came off around the 60th minute.

Still learning to be a 6 - it’s quite possible that he will come good. It’s also possible that his game/nature is unbalanced in a way that shouldn’t have allowed him to make it to this level, at least in North America.

In his first matches it was evident he was seeing the play and reading the field beyond anyone else we had. Not VV level but unusual for our league. Too often now he’s not seeing the field… though that is often when he’s under pressure.

As for getting forward,
    Herdman seems to want everyone to get forward… getting back can be tricky when you are not quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He struggles with better teams that press well, especially solid pressing strikers.

Can he improve this weakness? Time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple sources tell @TSN_Sports Jesse Marsch will be named next head coach of #CanMNT. Marsch is expected to lead Canada for its June pre-Copa América games in the Netherlands and France. Marsch's CV includes Leeds United, RB Leipzig, Salzburg, and NY and MTL Impact @TSNSoccer

https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/sta...9H4sZJVGA&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Multiple sources tell @TSN_Sports Jesse Marsch will be named next head coach of #CanMNT. Marsch is expected to lead Canada for its June pre-Copa América games in the Netherlands and France. Marsch's CV includes Leeds United, RB Leipzig, Salzburg, and NY and MTL Impact @TSNSoccer

https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/sta...9H4sZJVGA&s=19
    I'm not upset with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm not upset with that.
    They could have done worse. Stylistically I think he fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its interesting the 3 mls teams donated funds to sign him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    From the press release:

“The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the position is officially tied via name to MLS as a donor.....like a wing in a hospital.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just shows how ridiculously broken the CPL / CSB arrangement is. The organization took a low level annuity (that doesn’t even have an inflation escalator) in order to pilot a semi professional league that will never pay back into the CSA.

It’s left them with so few revenue generating opportunities that expenses have to be funded outside of normal operations, essentially through charitable giving (to avoid making those amounts collectable by the CSB) and taking more fees from children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It just shows how ridiculously broken the CPL / CSB arrangement is. The organization took a low level annuity (that doesn’t even have an inflation escalator) in order to pilot a semi professional league that will never pay back into the CSA.

It’s left them with so few revenue generating opportunities that expenses have to be funded outside of normal operations, essentially through charitable giving (to avoid making those amounts collectable by the CSB) and taking more fees from children.
    For a league that will never generate a single first-team national player and currently sits at the equivalent of the third division in North America.

I asked someone to produce a list of players that have gone on to significant leagues from the CPL and it was about a dozen people out of hundreds, with most of those in MLS.

The country has been scouted to death for decades. The notion that a groundswell of developable talent is being missed is just nonsense. Of course it's good to have a professional environment to develop in, but arguably they'll develop better at clubs with better foreign players with whom to compete.

It's been handled terribly since day one because the owners running it aren't in for the right reasons. They were sold on the old bullshit lines that big money would be made from transferring all these undiscovered stars to bigger clubs, but that's never going to happen.

According to transfermarkt, their record remains $218K for sending Tristan Borges to a Belgian club, where he never played, was relegated to the youth team.

But that's not news; a lot of us said the route they were taking was destined to fail, basically. And unless they can grow it, and produce better players and better games, that's still inevitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

So true. The CSA have always been woefully inept but the deal with CSB is a new low. Lucky they’re being rescued here by U.S. corporate practice. I suppose now that there is nothing left to buy naming rights to (The New Museum in New York sold naming rights to its toilet years ago) sports is the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have an interesting second half to the season if MLSE's parent, Kilmer Sports, buys St. Etienne.

https://www.asse.fr/fr/actualites/ne...u-club-ac36642

Positions us a la Joey and Bologna to send players back and forth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But that's not news; a lot of us said the route they were taking was destined to fail, basically. And unless they can grow it, and produce better players and better games, that's still inevitable.
    But I thought Sigma was going to show us all how to develop people...... Irony - I suspect a good League 1 program across the country will lead to better development - so a Sigma approach...without the chip on the shoulder.

Not that any of this will lead to TFC players for a good 20 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Maybe a central defender. Not wide.

But I don't think so. His defensive awareness of what's going on behind him or at oblique angles isn't good. His passing errors are often from just not seeing a player creeping into space, or possibly just seriously underestimating opponents/overestimating himself.

I think he's going to struggle to stay at this level. He's a little bottom heavy in his physique which is probably affecting his quickness. But if they can't get him a little quicker, improve his acceleration, he's just too slow to have other issues.

If they can improve his agility -- and it's happened before, with Oso significantly improving his speed and quickness from his first two years -- then he's probably best suited to be a eight, connecting stuff. He's an excellent long passer.

But ... so is Charlie Staniland, the young Sheffield prospect, and he's a lot more mobile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not 100% impressed with Coellos passing, to be honest. He has great technique, but so do some Sunday league footballers. The times his passes have been clever, or instigated a play, are probably outnumbered by his careless giveaways that have given up chances.

I'm not sure the vision matches the technique enough for him to dine out on the great passer tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Might have an interesting second half to the season if MLSE's parent, Kilmer Sports, buys St. Etienne.

https://www.asse.fr/fr/actualites/ne...u-club-ac36642

Positions us a la Joey and Bologna to send players back and forth.
    Get ready to learn French, JMR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Get ready to learn French, JMR.
    If they win promotion, watch out Nicksoen Gomis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

salaries for 2024 released, and fair to say they've done outstanding work:

flores- 456K
    long- 277K
    Longstaff- 213K
    Spicer and gomis- 73K each

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

flores- 456K
    long- 277K
    Longstaff- 213K
    Yes. Full list is here for everyone's reference. Just search Toronto in the search engine.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Some of those Ali Curtis and Bob Bradley signings are awful. Akinola on over 800k, Petretta at 900k and Luke Singh at 147k are some notable laughing points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced by Flores at that price, but Longstaff is an absolute steal at 213k. And yeah Spicer & Gomis are the types of players that you should make the backbone of a salary cap league squad, especially Spicer. It's all about output vs price, and he's outperforming his price by a comical amount right now.

Some other salaries there that aren't great so it's by no means perfect, but it's nice to at least feel like there's some thought going in to the fact this is a salary cap league and you need to think about it like one. That was Bob Bradleys biggest weakness. He put absolutely no value whatsoever on our low cap hit, good impact players and jettisoned them like they were worthless which is...suicidal, in MLS as they're the opposite of worthless they're actually incredibly valuable. And he loved to overpay for middling talent. We're definitely moving away from that, and our squad construction is so much better than last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

flores- 456K
    long- 277K
    Longstaff- 213K
    Wow!

Considering what Rosted and Petretta are making and guys like Ayo and Diomande previously were, this is incredible.

Long is an absolute steal and Longstaff looks like he will be as well. I don't even mind Flores at that much. In MLS nowadays that's not bad and he has been solid for us.

Cash at 300k with basically zero minutes is brutal.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 05-16-2024 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For convenience, so we don't have to keep opening it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, we are currently paying 5 guys who no longer play for us. I can see why MLSE is wary about spending right now.

Also, how many times did we magically extend Michael Bradley without any announcement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So, we are currently paying 5 guys who no longer play for us. I can see why MLSE is wary about spending right now.

Also, how many times did we magically extend Michael Bradley without any announcement?
    Well Altidore and Mavinga are the Revolution and Galaxy respectively. I just posted it since they were former players

Bradley it was confirmed he extended last year by halving his salary for 2023 and spreading it to 2024.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    For convenience, so we don't have to keep opening it

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but it almost seems like the league pushed Curtis and Bradley to TFC to ensure there wouldn’t be a non-American dynasty. I find myself thinking more and more that the best outcome for the three Canadian MLS teams would be a NA super league. I’d prefer a tier one Canadian league, but that still feels a way off.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 05-16-2024 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so bradley gets paid even though he retired and it still counts against the cap?wtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so bradley gets paid even though he retired and it still counts against the cap?wtf
    I feel like they must have used the buyout on his cap hit. Only reason it would make sense to not use it on Diomande, since Bradley's hit is higher. The "retirement" might have been a ruse and been a buyout, but phrased as retirement for PR reasons as a club legend