Page 87 of 138 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    On Oso… I find those who want to be rid of him jumping the gun too much. It’s very easy to play armchair GM and clean house (yet again) but if someone like him can retire a red it should happen. There’s much more to be gained than lost. A well constructed roster should be able to sustain his contract.
    Oso flirted with leaving a number of times, I don’t feel we owe him a chance to retire a red, It’s a lot of money/cap space, injury issues, slowing player-me could easily become our next Michael Bradley

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Oso flirted with leaving a number of times, I don’t feel we owe him a chance to retire a red, It’s a lot of money/cap space, injury issues, slowing player-me could easily become our next Michael Bradley
    Osorio is 31 years old. At some point he will need to retire but he's not an old man yet.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Osorio is 31 years old. At some point he will need to retire but he's not an old man yet.
    That corner can come fast though and he has never been durable. Can't see him all of sudden being an iron man heading towards his mid 30's. For players on salaries over $1M they have to be available for at least 80% of matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio has like two years left on the contract? With upcoming rule changes, and expansion of budget inevitable his cost isn't going to hurt the team. It's good to have a veteran on the team that has been through all of the lows and highs.

We are in for a full rebuild the next couple years and the young guys coming through need a mentor.

You just dont get rid of guys like Osorio, you build footbal culture around guys like him when their careers do eventually end, he is a big part of TFC history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Osorio has like two years left on the contract? With upcoming rule changes, and expansion of budget inevitable his cost isn't going to hurt the team. It's good to have a veteran on the team that has been through all of the lows and highs.

We are in for a full rebuild the next couple years and the young guys coming through need a mentor.

You just dont get rid of guys like Osorio, you build footbal culture around guys like him when their careers do eventually end, he is a big part of TFC history.
    2 Years with an option year for 2026..

What mentor? Why do people think Osorio is some kind of mentor all assuden? What has he proven or done besides resigning here to make people believe this fact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m onside with these things as long as players roles within the club can be kept appropriate for the level of play they offer as they age. And it fits with the club’s overall goals.

We can’t set ourselves up for anymore Bradley situations.
    I think the Bradley situation is somewhat unique. Including having his father as a coach. Manning unfortunately has proven himself to have not enough understanding of who (and what situation) he is hiring to have understood that hiring Bob meant locking in Micheal as the starting six (and that this might be a problem). And anyway Oso has sat often over the span of his career in Toronto. Mostly lately, we’ve looked worse when he isn’t starting.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 07-24-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    What mentor? Why do people think Osorio is some kind of mentor all assuden? What has he proven or done besides resigning here to make people believe this fact?
    Because he was here for a decade. People equate longevity with being influential and a positive on the young players but that's not always the case.

I say again, all this Berna/Insigne/Bob/MB/Soteldo/etc happened when he was a senior player, a leader, and a vice captain. When his time to be influential came, it coincided with some of our worst times and most soap opera-ish/bad locker room eras. He was here and did a great service for us but just like MB, the time has or is coming to move onto all new voices and a new era. No carry over or stories how "we did it like this in 2017 when we were the best MLS team of all time". Time to turn the page or better yet, close that book and start a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Because he was here for a decade. People equate longevity with being influential and a positive on the young players but that's not always the case.

I say again, all this Berna/Insigne/Bob/MB/Soteldo/etc happened when he was a senior player, a leader, and a vice captain. When his time to be influential came, it coincided with some of our worst times and most soap opera-ish/bad locker room eras. He was here and did a great service for us but just like MB, the time has or is coming to move onto all new voices and a new era. No carry over or stories how "we did it like this in 2017 when we were the best MLS team of all time". Time to turn the page or better yet, close that book and start a new one.
    Let’s be honest here by the time you put Bradley and all the Italians at the table there wasn’t much air left in the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re blaming Oso for “Berna/Insigne/Bob/MB/Soteldo/etc”? I don’t think he had much to do with that going wrong. During this time and before this time he gave his all for the team with his usual high standards for his own play and comportment. Same has been true of his National Team career. I’ve been lucky to have been watching him play since 2013.

One can go a little too crazy for getting rid of everyone… we had the revolving door of 33 players out over the last two seasons and that has only hurt us. I wouldn’t confuse Osorio with Manning….

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can go a little too crazy for getting rid of everyone… we had the revolving door of 33 players out over the last two seasons and that has only hurt us. I wouldn’t confuse Osorio with Manning….
    I don't confuse him with Manning but I bet he will start looking a lot more MB 2021 to 2023 than Osorio of that 2018 CCL run in no time and I've seen nothing so far to say his leadership qualities are worth over $1M a season with his injury record and recent production.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re blaming Oso for “Berna/Insigne/Bob/MB/Soteldo/etc”? I don’t think he had much to do with that going wrong. During this time and before this time he gave his all for the team with his usual high standards for his own play and comportment. Same has been true of his National Team career. I’ve been lucky to have been watching him play since 2013.

He didn't blame him for then, he just said he didn't seem to change what happened.

Oso isn't a leader of men. He seems pretty emotional and quite shy, if anything. I also don't think we should shed him, even if we could (which at that money in MLS we probably couldn't.)

I think by MLS standards he's a very good player. Even at $1.4M, if we get a healthy-ish season of 20 games or more out of him I think he's worth the dosh. He can change matches, and he's one of ours.

If a club is reasonably well built (or rebuilt), having one player who's a bit over budget shouldn't kill us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't confuse him with Manning but I bet he will start looking a lot more MB 2021 to 2023 than Osorio of that 2018 CCL run in no time and I've seen nothing so far to say his leadership qualities are worth over $1M a season with his injury record and recent production.
    We shall see. I think he was abused by Bob this season: missing training camp then starting consecutive matches out of position; out injured then 90 again right before he leaves for international duty… this sort of stuff wears on any player, even one with as much fortitude as Osorio. Bob may well be “a good man” but his conception of football is so broad and narrow at once that it led to plenty of misuse on the pitch and (seemingly) off the pitch.

But beyond this, I don’t think the league can consider itself legit unless a $1M player can sit on the bench. We want to compete with Liga MX or Europe… that means a bench of million and two million dollar players simply as a matter of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He didn't blame him for then, he just said he didn't seem to change what happened.

Oso isn't a leader of men. He seems pretty emotional and quite shy, if anything. I also don't think we should shed him, even if we could (which at that money in MLS we probably couldn't.)

I think by MLS standards he's a very good player. Even at $1.4M, if we get a healthy-ish season of 20 games or more out of him I think he's worth the dosh. He can change matches, and he's one of ours.

If a club is reasonably well built (or rebuilt), having one player who's a bit over budget shouldn't kill us.
    I suppose I don’t see how someone in Oso’s position could have changed all of that. That he didn’t should not be on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose I don’t see how someone in Oso’s position could have changed all of that. That he didn’t should not be on him.
    By the same, a "leader" connotates a guy who is in the fight, who is trying to resolve it, or who is preventing it from happening in the first place.

I don't think we had anyone like that in the locker room. I think our defacto leader, Michael Bradley, is a tough and driven cookie. But he's not a "leader".

He's a leader if the group is a small band of Spartans trying to hold off an invasion; he's that kind of leader. If this were the moivie "Platoon", he would be Tom Berenger, not Willem Defoe. Both leaders, very different types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    By the same, a "leader" connotates a guy who is in the fight, who is trying to resolve it, or who is preventing it from happening in the first place.

I don't think we had anyone like that in the locker room. I think our defacto leader, Michael Bradley, is a tough and driven cookie. But he's not a "leader".

He's a leader if the group is a small band of Spartans trying to hold off an invasion; he's that kind of leader. If this were the moivie "Platoon", he would be Tom Berenger, not Willem Defoe. Both leaders, very different types.
    Hah, yeah, I agree. I don’t agree with the sentiment that because Oso couldn’t do much in the context he found himself (as much as we can know - not being there ourselves) he should be gone. That makes no sense to me. As for the football itself, I find his contract quite okay for the fine player he is.

No question the Bradley way is the band of Spartans way. It’s undergone generational refinement in MB but still pretty apparent. That sort of thing often is what is necessary in football or what gives it meaning, no doubt. As well, Micheal is an unusually intelligent guy for a footballer… I give that marks as well because, after all, we often have to listen to a captain. It helps if what he says about football, life and politics is thoughtful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To head off excessive MB talk in this thread, let me make the issue an older one: what is the relationship between Art (or craft) and life? Are we comfortable about a team of very limited individuals playing beautiful football?

Okay… I admit this is an excuse to mention the funniest answer to this question - The Philosophers’ Football Match. If I had the skill I’d post the link more convincingly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfduUFF_i1A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Years with an option year for 2026..

This guy was written off by many in the first few years he was here, many said he wouldn't be able to adapt and change his game as MLS grew.

Well he proved everyone wrong and made it through at least 3 different era's of MLS since 2013.

You keep him around because he is TFC, a one club man, someone you highlight for the young kids in the academy to model after.

He doesn't need to be a "leader of men" to be a mentor.

If Dero didn't exist he would be my favorite player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview with Bernadeschi in Italian
    https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/bern...iomercato-news

EDIT:MikeForbes you beat me by 1 minute lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Unless I’m missing something he doesn’t have much to say about himself or the club. He will evaluate transfer proposals with the club and he’s fine in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from the "Toronto Till I Die" Podcast

-Toronto FC will field offers for any players on the roster except Jahkeele Marshall
    -Expect Johnson and some of the young players to be traded
    -Mailula will be announced in the next few days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Toronto FC will field offers for any players on the roster except Jahkeele Marshall
    -Expect Johnson and some of the young players to be traded
    -Mailula will be announced in the next few days
    Hoping one of those young players going is the greatest u-22 initiative signing of all times, Ayo Akinola.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also from TTID:

- ideal candidate they have in mind may not be available til the end of the season
    - also known to TFC fans or canadian

narrows it down a bit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hoping one of those young players going is the greatest u-22 initiative signing of all times, Ayo Akinola.
    maybe we should start calling him ayo akingoala to trick some team into trading for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I’m missing something he doesn’t have much to say about himself or the club. He will evaluate transfer proposals with the club and he’s fine in Toronto.
    Sounds 100% like he is staying, whether his choice or the transfers just didn't work out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, the club’s obsession with JMR continues. We don’t have a proper third DP because he was expected to be sold but there weren’t any offers… and now we refuse to sell him? Sounds like we’re screwing him around. Why don’t they just sell him to Rosenborg and let him develop?

As for yet another rebuild… I hope our rookie GM is damn good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    also from TTID:

- ideal candidate they have in mind may not be available til the end of the season
    - also known to TFC fans or canadian

narrows it down a bit.
    Greg Vanney

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Greg Vanney
    Robin Fraser, the guy who coached pacific fc, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Greg Vanney
    Might be. Might also be Alen Marcina. He's won the title in the NASL then USL at San Antonio three times. He's highly thought of as an MLS prospect in a few circles. Canadian striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, we’ve come full circle on this now have we? Good to know, cause I thought he was already in Europe from all the offers we got last offseason.

Fucking idiots.