Page 74 of 138 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 4129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Which is what scores me the next time we go to the well. Manning’s name is certainly dirt at this point and our chances of being Solteldo’d again are high.
    I think he rep is probably that he is easy to fleece into overpaying big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think he rep is probably that he is easy to fleece into overpaying big time.
    I think after the shitkicking he's taking for this fiasco, he's letting Hernandez make ALL the personnel decisions, period. I don't think he has the confidence to wade in and take over, or sees it as a poor percentage play relative to his knowledge of the market.

The only caveat is that he wants a rationale to sign off, rather than it being based on something they've heard from a guy they know. Other than that, Hernandez is rebuilding the team, not Manning.

So Ibarra made immediate sense. They didn't rate MAK's ability under pressure or to drive the team forward from the number six position, and he's inconsistent even as an eight, so it made sense to move him. We lack midfield speed and intensity but have good passers, so it made sense to get a pure six and an eight with speed. Ibarra's numbers are top two percent in the league defensively. Blessing has an engine.

So far, they seem to be working off a plan based on hierarchy of needs. And it's really not rocket science. It's comparing value-for-value to other clubs and signings, then looking at the base performance numbers for consistency and improvement, then doing as many checks as possible on a player's character.

In the past, it was just "so-and-so likes him. we like so-and-so. let's sign him."

That was essentially our template after Bez left other than Pozuelo, who Manning and Dodd targeted because his skill profile was similar to Giovinco's and he was his team's captain. He expressed eagerness to come, even though he was doing well at Genk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think Insigne with a balanced squad is a potential MVP candidate, still, in this league. He has that ability.

But the combination of sleight stature and no one working at his speed is making it difficult to get the best out of him. He's not a weavy attacker, like Seba or Hany Mukhtar or Almeda, but his outside shooting, passing and ability to beat several on the dribble are all elite level.

If he had a DP striker ahead of him, a few more Oso-quality (i.e. mls elite but not necessarily DP or TAM) midfielders, he'd probably be good for 10-15 goals a season and the same in assists, because they'd all either draw attention away from him, or be left open because of him.

But our players right now have many flaws that are making that hard to achieve.

Sapong's movement is truly, truly, terrible. He is more likely to impede another player's progress or space than he is to find the right spot. He has no lateral movement to spread the defenders or beat a trap, he has no consistency in his movement in the box, he's static in the box.

Frankly, this is true of all of our strikers. I'm not sure why we never seem to employ coaches who were strikers, but whoever we have surely is not doing a job. And the reason we know that is that our young players have the same shit movement.

Watch Teemo Pukki's first two games for Minnesota. There's striker who knows how to work defenders. He'll drift back and forth laterally between them, going just past their blind shoulder, making them each take a step or two wider, until one of them cheats and gives him space between them. And then he's gone to wherever the ball is likely to be.

Our strikers, to a man, have no idea how to do this.

Every good striker in Europe over the age of 14 knows how to do this.

It must be very odd, sometimes, for foreign fans to watch MLS and wonder how so much of it can be so athletic and highlight-reelish, and so much of it looks like most of the players started playing at age 18 or something.

MLS players, below the elite, break every fundamental kids are taught in Europe about football. They don't have their heads up throughout, checking around them. Watch our midfielders, then watch Coello, who grew up in elite Spanish dev clubs. He watches the play around the rest of the pitch all the time, because he's reading shape, so that he knows where the space is likely to be, in the same way as a quarterback has to read a defence to see where receivers will have the most space to catch a pass.

Watch when he traps a ball. It's nearly always instep, even when he's bringing it down hard and fast. Because the entirety of the length of the instep can be turned downwards, meaning the 'trap' is unlikely to squirt away.

Now watch Akinola, Sapong, Kaye trap balls (ok, not MAK anymore here, but it'll still happen at NE, mark my words). They trap more often than not with the SOLE of their boot. That's fine sometiomes, but the reason kids in europe are taught never to do it is that there isn't as much surface area OVER the ball, so there's more chance for it to bounce loose.... which one of them does seemingly every game.

I think Insigne could be a major player in this league, but lots of good athletes can't really "play down" to the level they're at. If they expect him to have Giovinco-like success making defenders look foolish, that's usually not going to happen. He's too set in working with a good team. So we need to give him a good team... because no one's picking up $15M a year in guaranteed compensation.
    Agree with this. He has a great game but needs support around him.

That said, I’d rather have someone who can do it all without a balanced squad around them. Just makes sense in this wacky league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is finally the day when I get to say this in here:

Intelligence is not wisdom & wisdom is not necessarily dependent upon experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agree with this. He has a great game but needs support around him.

That said, I’d rather have someone who can do it all without a balanced squad around them. Just makes sense in this wacky league.
    Oh, absolutely. I mean, I really like watching him play but a guy with slightly more speed who just wants to beat other players is usually more dangerous here.

From Bob's perspective wingers made sense because his 'system', such as it is, looked good at LAFC. But that's discounting that Vela is more in the Poz/Seba mold than the winger mould. If you stuck him centrally, he wouldn't miss a beat.

Bouanga, who I was very hot on when he started this season, ls more in the Fede mold but with more speed and mobility. But he's been found out, too. He had a goal the other day but it was his first in seven or eight games. Just like Fede, he started strong, scoring seven very quickly. But since about May, that has ended.

It's just very hard in this league for guys who attack from low wide positions.

As good as Richie was, he'd still be a four goals-six assists guy most seasons in this league (with the odd outlier where he scores seven or eight), because teams aggressively defend anyone cutting in with double-teams and immediate pressure.

We're SO direct in MLS that no one wants a cross to even leave a boot, if possible, so that guy is always teamed up on, no matter which teams are playing.

And I think it's just defensive pragmatism. MOST of the time in MLS, the dude they're paying the most is the guy in the middle, trying to meet the cross.... because decent, direct wingers aren't that rare or expensive. There's no reason to pay massive DPs for them.

But there is for strikers and hole players.

I rather suspect we might look at Atlanta's success with Giakoumakis and go for someone of similar pedigree/profile. If they did, and it's a pretty solidly rational move based on his history at Celtic and in Holland, we might be among the teams going after Antonio Colak from Rangers. He's older at 29, so probably a little cheaper than Giakoumakis, but is a consistent scorer at levels similar to MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last thing on MAK. I hope to God they have a decent counseling program at NER because this move after this experience has probably crushed him personally. The uploaded video of his goodbye today has so many flags popping off in my HR brain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Today is finally the day when I get to say this in here:

Intelligence is not wisdom & wisdom is not necessarily dependent upon experience.
    Yeah, true.

"Intelligence" as a term has about as much value as "Liberal" or "right-winger". It's mostly only valuable to the user, because it has no universally agreed definition relative to actual neurological function.

The brain is a combination lock of operations that are both compartmentalized and inter-dependent, so a person can be high-functioning in several areas and seem, outwardly and in the right circumstance to be very 'bright' or 'competent', whilst simultaneously being very poor in other areas.

I score highly in comprehension and literacy tests. I'm also not very clever, not very quick and an average-to-poor lateral thinker. I can understand complex or novel notions more easily than other people, and can see logical flaws easily. But I can't use those things particularly well to solve a problem for you in a particular moment of time.

I also have deficits in attention, learning and reading the emotions of others.

Wisdom is defined and perceived experientially, so technically to have wisdom, you DO have to have the relative experience which is more likely to happen over time. But as you say, I've met many people much wiser than me and half my age.

Some people have more balanced neurological function generally, both emotional and intellectual. They tend to be wiser, happier, nicer and, quite often, extremely successful at whatever they care most about. They're also pretty rare. They probably won't beat you at Trivial Pursuit, but it probably won't bother them, and they'll leave the party more popular than they were when they got there.

Very few of them, in my experience, wind up as professional athletes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last thing on MAK. I hope to God they have a decent counseling program at NER because this move after this experience has probably crushed him personally. The uploaded video of his goodbye today has so many flags popping off in my HR brain.
    Some of the manner in which our fanbase has conducted itself this season has been shameful. I don't think he's played well, but he doesn't deserve the sort of verbal abuse he's getting online over fucking football man, it's just not civil or right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the manner in which our fanbase has conducted itself this season has been shameful. I don't think he's played well, but he doesn't deserve the sort of verbal abuse he's getting online over fucking football man, it's just not civil or right.
    On the contrary you get paid money to play for the badge and the fan base, city included. The fans pay the money for tickets, concessions, and various club products, if you don't perform to standards the fan base pays for your gonna get heckled. It's all part of the game. If MAK was to perform game in game out he would have tifos raised and songs be sung in his name. The backlash he is getting is deserved. Even Canada has overlooked him! For a reason he is having a really bad run for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    The backlash he is getting is deserved. Even Canada has overlooked him! For a reason he is having a really bad run for a long time.
    No one deserves to have objects thrown at them or their family insulted. There are lines. Many of them have been crossed this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are paid to play - if he does not succeed at playing, he does not deserve the vitriol on social media. That is the problem.

And the loudspeaker guy can go pound sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man that's really hard to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the contrary you get paid money to play for the badge and the fan base, city included. The fans pay the money for tickets, concessions, and various club products, if you don't perform to standards the fan base pays for your gonna get heckled. It's all part of the game. If MAK was to perform game in game out he would have tifos raised and songs be sung in his name. The backlash he is getting is deserved. Even Canada has overlooked him! For a reason he is having a really bad run for a long time.
    We're harder on local kids for some reason. He didn't deserve a lot of what was thrown at him (quite literally thrown).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, absolutely. I mean, I really like watching him play but a guy with slightly more speed who just wants to beat other players is usually more dangerous here.

From Bob's perspective wingers made sense because his 'system', such as it is, looked good at LAFC. But that's discounting that Vela is more in the Poz/Seba mold than the winger mould. If you stuck him centrally, he wouldn't miss a beat.

Bouanga, who I was very hot on when he started this season, ls more in the Fede mold but with more speed and mobility. But he's been found out, too. He had a goal the other day but it was his first in seven or eight games. Just like Fede, he started strong, scoring seven very quickly. But since about May, that has ended.

It's just very hard in this league for guys who attack from low wide positions.

As good as Richie was, he'd still be a four goals-six assists guy most seasons in this league (with the odd outlier where he scores seven or eight), because teams aggressively defend anyone cutting in with double-teams and immediate pressure.

We're SO direct in MLS that no one wants a cross to even leave a boot, if possible, so that guy is always teamed up on, no matter which teams are playing.

And I think it's just defensive pragmatism. MOST of the time in MLS, the dude they're paying the most is the guy in the middle, trying to meet the cross.... because decent, direct wingers aren't that rare or expensive. There's no reason to pay massive DPs for them.

But there is for strikers and hole players.

I rather suspect we might look at Atlanta's success with Giakoumakis and go for someone of similar pedigree/profile. If they did, and it's a pretty solidly rational move based on his history at Celtic and in Holland, we might be among the teams going after Antonio Colak from Rangers. He's older at 29, so probably a little cheaper than Giakoumakis, but is a consistent scorer at levels similar to MLS.
    Antonio Colak is signing with Parma. Morelos is still a free agent!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Antonio Colak is signing with Parma. Morelos is still a free agent!!!
    Great goal scorer. Rangers have sought of painted him as having attitude problems, after they turned down transfer requests for him. Have to wonder though... 27 and that goal scoring record. Hard to say no to that on a free transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How interested do you think a TFC player is in a pep talk from someone who reports to the same guy that is responsible for the problem? Does that feel like a setup for an open heartfelt dialogue about how to fix things?
    I have no idea how interested in participating many TFC players would have been; obviously there was a language barrier for some in the room to overcome. I expect at the very least they would have been professional; been attentive/respectful. You are also assuming that TFC players would believe Manning is ultimately responsible for their predicament. I am not sure all or most of them would make that connect other than he was the one that hired BBradley; which is him just doing his job. Also, it's not as if BBradley wasn't well regarded with an established MLS reputation that preceded. Still, I accept that a few may have come to think that they got stuck with BBradley because of Manning. Yet, if I was in that locker room, I may have also been more inclined to think MBradley was a key factor in bringing his Mister dad to the club. I suspect the players have now just resigned themselves to the notion that choices were made and we find ourselves here... lets move forward. I also believe any/all the heartfelt dialogue has already likely happened. That that page has been turned, that possible corrective actions are now under-way and this exercise with Pinball was more a rah-rah, com'on, you/we can do it, thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Pinball, but I'm just shaking my head.

This is what it's come too? An ex CFL coach giving a pep talk to a bunch of footballers? Like wow, I can only imagine what Insigne must be thinking.

Pinball is a cool dude but this teams doesn't need a kick in the ass, it needs skill, preferably footballing skills, like passing the ball forward, not having a lead foot for a first touch, having some brain cells to pick out a pass.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-14-2023 at 02:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He deserved to have a loudspeaker thrown at him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get paid money to do my job, that doesn't mean I deserve to have shit thrown at me or have to go onto social media and see personal abuse and haterid thrown at me. It's a game. He didn't work out here, and it wasn't for want of trying so we traded him. That should be where it ends. This isn't life and death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

This is what it's come too? An ex CFL coach giving a pep talk to a bunch of footballers? Like wow, I can only imagine what Insigne must be thinking.

Pinball is a cool dude but this teams doesn't need a kick in the ass, it needs skill, preferably footballing skills, like passing the ball forward, not having a lead foot for a first touch, having some brain cells to pick out a pass.
    This smells like Manning asked Pinball to inspire the team with some story about being a Gray Cup Champion. Meanwhile the Argos are the Champions in a league consisting of 9 teams with 82 players and a total payroll of $5M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Insigne with a balanced squad is a potential MVP candidate, still, in this league. He has that ability.....
    ......I think Insigne could be a major player in this league, but lots of good athletes can't really "play down" to the level they're at. If they expect him to have Giovinco-like success making defenders look foolish, that's usually not going to happen. He's too set in working with a good team. So we need to give him a good team... because no one's picking up $15M a year in guaranteed compensation.
    Good solid points all around. TBH, all these dynamics are why I'm gonna wait a bit to see how Messi works out in Miami. As we all know even if this is becoming Amigos FC and he's just gonna be cruising... he's gonna have expectations of quality. He's only ever played with quite literally the best on their positions around him in midfield 8's, FullBacks and wingers- and his play is built around serious off ball movement and one touch/one-two passing to keep the opposition reacting as opposed to being proactive. He's gonna expect his team mates to be playing at a much faster execution level in one touch passing/one-twos than they have been playing this season

I'm not certain Miami have the players who at basic levels will be able to keep up with this fast passing movements he's come to expect, and if they are signing Alba and Busquets and he begins falling back to them as he's confident in their quality or ability to work in his dimension of playing... Could become Messi/Busquets/Alba & 7 pylons... and a relatively easy marking exercise with the athletic aspects of MLS defending. But back to your points, I think Messi will struggle like Insigne with these same elements -even with 2 other barca bros.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    This smells like Manning asked Pinball to inspire the team with some story about being a Gray Cup Champion. Meanwhile the Argos are the Champions in a league consisting of 9 teams with 82 players and a total payroll of $5M.
    Anyone who has heard Pinball speak knows that he's a very inspirational speaker. I have no problem with this whatsoever. TFC could do with some inspiration from any athlete from any sport at the moment. I know we're down on this team (as constructed) but no need to be negative about everything.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Anyone who has heard Pinball speak knows that he's a very inspirational speaker. I have no problem with this whatsoever. TFC could do with some inspiration from any athlete from any sport at the moment. I know we're down on this team (as constructed) but no need to be negative about everything.
    I agree. The fact that he played CFL football is irrelevant. He's been brought in to speak in many, many fields completely unrelated because he's very good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You can inspire and motivate all you want but you're not going to inspire the skill out of them when they don't got it.

I'm sure they have already been in a million "we need to do better" team meetings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I get paid money to do my job, that doesn't mean I deserve to have shit thrown at me or have to go onto social media and see personal abuse and haterid thrown at me. It's a game. He didn't work out here, and it wasn't for want of trying so we traded him. That should be where it ends. This isn't life and death
    Yep. I’m surprised where some people want to take their fandom.

I’ll cheer, boo, praise or criticize but I’m not going to go after someone personally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I agree. The fact that he played CFL football is irrelevant. He's been brought in to speak in many, many fields completely unrelated because he's very good at it.
    OK I am doing what I said I wouldn’t….

1) Pinball works for their boss. This is just kabuki. We just made this mistake (the BB/MB fiasco) ... Does everything around this team have to have such potential for awkwardness and insincerity? We can't just find some way or some other speaker somewhere, anywhere? Nope. We are all about “synergy” here, Bill has the solution right at hand.

2) As to whether Pinball can have an impact, maybe, sure.. but let's look at the first three recent speaking engagements that turn up on google:
    - https://www.thespec.com/life/pinball...672ed9dc.html?
    - https://prepskills.com/michael-pinba...-expo-join-us/
    - http://www.oromedontecc.com/2021-business-awards.html

This is a league where Patrick Mahomes, Will Ferrell, Giannis Antetokoumpo, Magic Johnson, Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, Reese Witherspoon, Matthew McConnaughy, Drew Carey, Macklemore…. are owners. People like that own stakes in more than half the teams!

I will bet you money that the stature of people talking to players in other locker rooms is a whole lot different than Pinball. I mean no disrespect to him.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-14-2023 at 03:47 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    OK I am doing what I said I wouldn’t….

1) Pinball works for their boss. This is just kabuki. We just made this mistake (the BB/MB fiasco) ... Does everything around this team have to have such potential for awkwardness and insincerity? We can't just find some way or some other speaker somewhere, anywhere? Nope. We are all about “synergy” here, Bill has the solution right at hand.

2) As to whether Pinball can have an impact, maybe, sure.. but let's look at the first three recent speaking engagements that turn up on google:
    - https://www.thespec.com/life/pinball...672ed9dc.html?
    - https://prepskills.com/michael-pinba...-expo-join-us/
    - http://www.oromedontecc.com/2021-business-awards.html

This is a league where Patrick Mahomes, Will Ferrell, Giannis Antetokoumpo, Magic Johnson, Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, Reese Witherspoon, Matthew McConnaughy, Drew Carey, Macklemore…. are owners. People like that own stakes in more than half the teams!

I will bet you money that the stature of people talking to players in other locker rooms is a whole lot different than Pinball. I mean no disrespect to him.
    Yeah, this feels a little cringy to me. I mean, I've met motivational guys who can make rubber run through a brick and they're valuable no matter who they speak to. But that's really, really rare.

Usually, this stuff is earnest on behalf of the deliverer but feels awkward on the part of the recipient.

Even if I'd done this, I wouldn't publicize it. No knowing how it'll turn out.

Why would they let anyone know this? This is the sort of shit that should be kept internal. There are just too many permutations for how it'll be read.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this feels a little cringy to me. I mean, I've met motivational guys who can make rubber run through a brick and they're valuable no matter who they speak to. But that's really, really rare.

Usually, this stuff is earnest on behalf of the deliverer but feels awkward on the part of the recipient.

Even if I'd done this, I wouldn't publicize it. No knowing how it'll turn out.

Why would they let anyone know this? This is the sort of shit that should be kept internal. There are just too many permutations for how it'll be read.
    any insight on the berna to bologna interest jloome?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield let it slip - he's had a minder in his pressers since the first day often looking over at somebody before he says something to get a nod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield let it slip - he's had a minder in his pressers since the first day often looking over at somebody before he says something to get a nod.
    i noticed that also...that is real creepy if they are censoring mannings sacrifical lamb dunny,god i hate this FO