Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    ...of a manufactured cup that THEY created
    MLS and Liga MX might as well just merge at this point they are both so rock hard for Chicano dollars.

Either that or US and Mexican nat players can cease to have club teams while they face off 40,000 times a year to make sure they didn’t miss any commercial opportunities..

It’s a disgrace how much of North Americans football is becoming about one thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    MLS and Liga MX might as well just merge at this point they are both so rock hard for Chicano dollars.

Either that or US and Mexican nat players can cease to have club teams while they face off 40,000 times a year to make sure they didn’t miss any commercial opportunities..

It’s a disgrace how much of North Americans football is becoming about one thing.
    I hate to say it, but I can actually see a time when I won't watch football from here anymore. MLS will ruin everything I love about it, and the CPL will never achieve it. And like most people here, I have another team from Europe I support, because that's where my roots are.

I don't want a franchise system with meaningless season games, endless playoffs and cups, 60 plus games a year exhausting players, squads that have to be topped up with unqualified youth just to field a team.

It's fucking pointless. I hate North American sports generally for the absolute tedium of most of the games meaning nothing, which is why I no longer watch them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't judge what Leagues cup will feel like until we get there

IMHO

I suspect the first round matches will feel forced - 4 team groups are always better then 3.

But cup competitions, especially ones with games every night, are fun. Those games will feel like they mean something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am willing to give the League's Cup a fair go. I am actually really excited for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. Seems wife got a call from our TFC Rep today to opt out? She/we decided to remain(?) opted in.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-20-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I hate to say it, but I can actually see a time when I won't watch football from here anymore. MLS will ruin everything I love about it, and the CPL will never achieve it. And like most people here, I have another team from Europe I support, because that's where my roots are.

I don't want a franchise system with meaningless season games, endless playoffs and cups, 60 plus games a year exhausting players, squads that have to be topped up with unqualified youth just to field a team.

It's fucking pointless. I hate North American sports generally for the absolute tedium of most of the games meaning nothing, which is why I no longer watch them.
    These are exactly my thoughts too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not wrong about north American soccer, but European soccer is worse. Leagues where the only way to win is to hope you get backed by the right human rights abuser trying to sports wash their reputation, most clubs with a 0.0% chance of ever winning who exist only to feed the big teams, and as many cups and games as here. Add in clubs actively hostile to their local fans ("legacy fans") who would rip up everything about their history move the teams to Asia in a second if they had the chance

European soccer has bigger problems than here tbh and I'd take MLS, as absurd and artificial as it feels with it's manufactured everything, given a choice between the big euro leagues and here any day.

There's still so much I'd chance about MLS, mainly about the supporters culture, so I'm not saying it's amazing but the European scene is fucking bleak. And I grew up in a family and place in Europe obsessed with football

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents and I don't think this necessarily applies to people on here but I'm noticing some things in our post covid social media infested world that I'm just going to riff on for a little bit:

Football suffers from "unless you are the very best, you are a failure & thus not worth supporting" disease.

When out last night, I drank 2 types of beer

1 - a decent draft IPA
    2 - Sleemans Honey Brown

The second I drank because it was cheaper (happy hour time reached) but still enjoyable. Do I think Sleemans is the best & would always go for it? No.

So why in HELL would I expect my football to be perfect and always a winner?

I'm watching tonight's game expecting my team to lose - but I watch for the sport, for the fact its my local & cause its still enjoyable to do among all the other things I enjoy. Does the game "mean something"? Hell no. Neither did those Sleemans last night.

So?

If you're not enjoying yourself, stop watching, definitely. But if you're not enjoying yourself because the games are not good enough....you might want to consider whether "good enough" is something fabricated by consumer culture.

Edit: I do draw the lines at somethings - I have tried CPL & just can't. Just like I find Molson Canadian & Bud not worth my time. People have to find the line - I just wouldn't make it so high that you don't enjoy ANY aspect of what you are doing for entertainment.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-21-2023 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I share your opinion here but I will say it extends more so to all the big leagues in general rather than MLS specifically. It increasingly feels like 12 layers of corporate bs / consumerism surrounding one level of authenticity.

I grew up in Halifax (with no major pro teams in the city of course). Lower level leagues can be fun. Ignoring the “plunging the nats for dollars” aspect for a second, I think they are on to something with the CPL. But I’d appreciate a little bit more investment than I’m seeing currently. If the quality raised ever so slightly and they started playing in nice local stadiums, it would really go a long way to making me want to attend.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised at hearing the fatigue from some of our longest serving and proficient posters but I completely understand.

If I tried to watch all leagues and/or my teams with the same expectations my heart would explode with frustration.

Messi will be fun to watch in the established MLS way. He probably won't meet the hypes expectation on the pitch but most people won't care because in NA the sizzle beats the actual steak all the time.

Still. Messi here is better than Messi not here.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-21-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting listen/watch by SportiCast from Sportico on Messi details, as well as, sport franchise valuations and current on-goings as a background to the Larry Tananbaum/MLSE matter. Decided to included this post in two threads because of it's specific portions relevance to each.

https://www.sportico.com/podcasts/sp...le-1234726636/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Messi knock... 'standing still' or 'walking'... but then... magic (this time against Brazil)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ving-barcelona

So... how? Non dp player? On league minimum? Be interesting to see how they explain this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Bro, if you have got no idea... I would like to think I try to have a modicum of sense about such MLS matters and am utterly lost on this; the how is Inter-Miami managing all this? I thought they were also (recently?) penalized- sanctioned by the league for a past transfer/wage transgression. The transfer reports, outgoing and incoming, are all over the place. Keeping one of or both of Campana or Martinez. Busquets supposedly a DP. Alba the next target? A DP? Add to that mix some rumours of Suarez pulling a Criscito. IIUC, Martinez had a good portion of his contract paid for by Atlanta and may not count as a DP for either club. The general consensus suggests Pizzaro gets bought out. Gregore is traded or bought down; been stated IMCF have enough TAM. While it seems the Messi-IMCF-MLS deal did not involve any league-wide or shared financial sacrifice, I suspect the league head office is working overtime, even looking the other way or pinching their noses against any rules and regulations, to facilitate any required moves to accommodate the arrival and best Messi approved possibility for success of The GOAT et al.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ving-barcelona

So... how? Non dp player? On league minimum? Be interesting to see how they explain this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    ^
    Bro, if you have got no idea... I would like to think I try to have a modicum of sense about such MLS matters and am utterly lost on this; the how is Inter-Miami managing all this? I thought they were also (recently?) penalized- sanctioned by the league for a past transfer/wage transgression. The transfer reports, outgoing and incoming, are all over the place. Keeping one of or both of Campana or Martinez. Busquets supposedly a DP. Alba the next target? A DP? Add to that mix some rumours of Suarez pulling a Criscito. IIUC, Martinez had a good portion of his contract paid for by Atlanta and may not count as a DP for either club. The general consensus suggests Pizzaro gets bought out. Gregore is traded or bought down; been stated IMCF have enough TAM. While it seems the Messi-IMCF-MLS deal did not involve any league-wide or shared financial sacrifice, I suspect the league head office is working overtime, even looking the other way or pinching their noses against any rules and regulations, to facilitate any required moves to accommodate the arrival and best Messi approved possibility for success of The GOAT et al.
    To put to much thought into it.

MLS is in WWE mode, they will create, bend, break whatever rules to appease Messi.
    Last edited by Richard; 06-24-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff is coming out about what happened with Messi and the PSG Ultras in Paris. Unimaginable.

It's wild to read that some PSG supporters are driving all of him, Mbappe and Neymar out. They have been organizing protests at these guys homes (it happened to Neymar for sure and Messi alludes to “things”)…
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Stuff is coming out about what happened with Messi and the PSG Ultras in Paris. Unimaginable.

It's wild to read that some PSG supporters are driving all of him, Mbappe and Neymar out. They have been organizing protests at these guys homes (it happened to Neymar for sure and Messi alludes to “things”)…
    Sometimes I find myself resenting how artificial and underwhelming supporter culture is here and long for something like Europe. But then you're reminded of the ugly reality behind alot of that and honestly MLS support starts to look a whole lot better by comparison. Between stuff like that and the violence still at games, not to mention how things like racism consistently still appear in even all of Europe's major leagues...I'll take what we have overall

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remain convinced we attracted Insigne because he could walk the streets here & nobody will notice and if they do, they will nod & smile & not bug him much.

Messi isn't going to have to deal with Ultras in Miami but he will not be able to walk around in a mall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did Tata just whisper into Messi's ear? Perhaps, see you soon in Miami?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-26-2023 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Messi goes, participates, in this year's upcoming MLS All-Star match, is anyone going?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-27-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    If Messi goes, participates, in this year's upcoming MLS All-Star match, is anyone going?
    No, it’s a friendly and pointless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-29-2023 at 01:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats off to Miami. They might actually turn that club around. Too bad we couldn't land Tata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF!? #1...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-03-2023 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumours... Fast & Furious! Suarez still possible; in play!

Jorge Mas, president of IMCF... 'Two or three more players will come. We spoke with Jordi Alba, while Luis Suárez has a contract and a termination clause. I don't know if that will happen. All the announcements will be made before July 15'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s happen’. It’s finally happen’!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude is out there buying Family Size Lucky Charms for his kids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luis Suarez doing everything possible to get to, no sleep 'til, IMCF. Seems Gremio holding his feet to their agreement's 'release clause' fire.

'Inter Miami insists on signing Luis Suárez, but Gremio has already made its position clear: he is only leaving because of the exit clause and the MLS team considers it very high. Except for a radical change, it seems very difficult to get out of this market.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Dude is out there buying Family Size Lucky Charms for his kids...

Something he could probably never do in Europe.