Page 40 of 138 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    defense of laryea hedges mabika franklin actually looks very solid.

kind of makes you wish you weren't spending so much TAM/ GAM on rosted and petretta, but them's the breaks.

we badly need a DP striker. the amount of chances and half chances we had yesterday without scoring is crazy.

you can't succeed without a DP striker in this league. needs to be addressed in the summer window or will be another year wasted...

vancouver last night has a similar xg to us and scored 6 goals btw.
    Yes, agree. While I'm unhappy with Bob, there are some good development stories on the roster right now.

Rosted as a signing (quality aside) I understand. You wan to fix the CB problem and you can never have too many good CB's. Not sure why we admired him specifically as he seems not particularly special but nonetheless I get it.

Petretta I do not understand at all. You need pace to be a standout fullback in this league. He's a more skilled player and meant for a system Bob doesn't play. And when you factor in Franklin's success isn't entirely shocking, it was silly to make the starter one of the best paid players at his position in MLS. We should have gone for someone more mid budget who is dependable but can still be pushed by Franklin for his spot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yes, agree. While I'm unhappy with Bob, there are some good development stories on the roster right now.

Rosted as a signing (quality aside) I understand. You wan to fix the CB problem and you can never have too many good CB's. Not sure why we admired him specifically as he seems not particularly special but nonetheless I get it.

Petretta I do not understand at all. You need pace to be a standout fullback in this league. He's a more skilled player and meant for a system Bob doesn't play. And when you factor in Franklin's success isn't entirely shocking, it was silly to make the starter one of the best paid players at his position in MLS. We should have gone for someone more mid budget who is dependable but can still be pushed by Franklin for his spot.
    i'd sell petretta in the summer, use the money to bring in another creative cm. when oso is out we're severely lacking in that dept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we aren't able to keep Richie, we might need Petretta. Personally I like Petretta even if he hasn't been amazing. He certainly isn't the issue with this team (even if he isn't the solution either).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    If we aren't able to keep Richie, we might need Petretta. Personally I like Petretta even if he hasn't been amazing. He certainly isn't the issue with this team (even if he isn't the solution either).
    This is probably going to be the case because I would think Richie is dying to get out and also to test himself back in England.

Also Petretta never looked terrible and I always give new players to the league a 6 month window to get acclimated.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great point actually.

how would people feel like if laryea left and we used the $$ to bring in a DP striker (moving oso out of the DP role).

defence (from left to right):

petretta mabika/rosted hedges Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, we need a fullback, yes. Does Petretta offer what we need though? Is the price make it good value?

I think it’s best to back out of this one rather than stick around and find out we have another Ayo Akinola on our books

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, we need a fullback, yes. Does Petretta offer what we need though? Is the price make it good value?

I think it’s best to back out of this one rather than stick around and find out we have another Ayo Akinola on our books
    The price isn't good value and that makes him difficult to move. Really, who is going to want him now at that rate?

This is why I hope we don't do moves this summer unless Bob is out. If he gets desperate then he will bring on more bad contracts and probably sell off guys like Kerr or Franklin to make room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The price isn't good value and that makes him difficult to move. Really, who is going to want him now at that rate?

This is why I hope we don't do moves this summer unless Bob is out. If he gets desperate then he will bring on more bad contracts and probably sell off guys like Kerr or Franklin to make room.
    I’m sure his value in Europe hasn’t completely collapsed yet. Must be a reasonable option for him overseas.

He’s just paid a lot in MLS terms. It’s not particularly a high or abnormal salary for Europe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m sure his value in Europe hasn’t completely collapsed yet. Must be a reasonable option for him overseas.

He’s just paid a lot in MLS terms. It’s not particularly a high or abnormal salary for Europe.
    But he was poor in Turkey and did nothing of note here except lose his starting spot to an acedemy kid. Can't see anywhere that would want him really or at least anywhere he would agree to go to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But he was poor in Turkey and did nothing of note here except lose his starting spot to an acedemy kid. Can't see anywhere that would want him really or at least anywhere he would agree to go to.
    If true, that just makes his contract even worse. Why do we need to pay so much to somebody with no options?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to be honest, unless one of the Italians go in the middle. I dont see it working, with or without a DP striker. IMHO - I can't see Bob creating an offence that works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, that just makes his contract even worse. Why do we need to pay so much to somebody with no options?
    Ask Diomande. He is a beneficiary of this type of financial winfall too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    IMHO - I can't see Bob creating an offence that works.
    I think Bob can but if he does then we'll leak goals like last year. He is unable to find a balance between attack & defense and I guess this is the better option of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not particularly a high or abnormal salary for Europe.
    Misconception, I think. Outside of the top five leagues and the top players in the Championship, salaries plummet in Europe. I know for example that a leading scorer in a league similar to MLS was available to us recently (and may still be) and wants 700K a year, which would be a raise from what he's at now.

Top money guys are often paid low millions, but most footballers in leagues seven and down make the same or less than MLS. Petretta would have a tough time getting what we're paying him anywhere. He lost his starting job in Turkey (albeit I think to injury).

He's a $350-500K player in most of Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Mabika is expected to be called up to the Zambian national team for the African Nations Cup qualifiers in mid-June.
    Apparently he might not be able to join Zambia because he still doesn't have a passport (required for official matches)
    https://zambianfootball.co.zm/mabika...r-chipolopolo/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petretta links up with Insigne better then Franklin. He gets the movement better and tactics.

Franklin is better athletically though but has terrible movement.

I think it's way too early to write off Petretta. Once and if he can get used to the physicality of this league (which I think was a surprise for him) he will get better. He's still young.

Either way, defense is literally not a problem this season. How many clean sheets do we have now? Our problem is our offensive play is garbage. We can't score.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 06-01-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask Diomande. He is a beneficiary of this type of financial winfall too.
    I hope Bob is “Carl Robinson-ing” these contracts or something. How could one person sign so many bad deals? Did he just pick up Ali Curtis’s to do list and start striking off more items?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Bob is “Carl Robinson-ing” these contracts or something. How could one person sign so many bad deals? Did he just pick up Ali Curtis’s to do list and start striking off more items?
    the only thing worse than BB the coach is BB the sporting director.a double lazy wammy by the argo prez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Misconception, I think. Outside of the top five leagues and the top players in the Championship, salaries plummet in Europe. I know for example that a leading scorer in a league similar to MLS was available to us recently (and may still be) and wants 700K a year, which would be a raise from what he's at now.

Top money guys are often paid low millions, but most footballers in leagues seven and down make the same or less than MLS. Petretta would have a tough time getting what we're paying him anywhere. He lost his starting job in Turkey (albeit I think to injury).

He's a $350-500K player in most of Europe.
    According to whose-knows-if-accurate site, the average Super Lig salary is 850,000$ and Petretta was on 400-500,000 euros. So looks like we gave him a bit of a raise which you’d expect. It probably would have been more comfortable for him to go back to Basel.

What’s happening with Guittirez? Are we waiting until Richie leaves to play him? Van is paying most of his salary.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Petretta links up with Insigne better then Franklin. He gets the movement better and tactics.

Franklin is better athletically though but has terrible movement.

I think it's way too early to write off Petretta. Once and if he can get used to the physicality of this league (which I think was a surprise for him) he will get better. He's still young.

Either way, defense is literally not a problem this season. How many clean sheets do we have now? Our problem is our offensive play is garbage. We can't score.
    I guess that is very fair, defense is much improved and you win with defense. But you still have to score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see what Gutierrez has too. Franklin is serviceable, If Guti can be as well then Petretta is utterly expendable (though I don't dislike the player).

How I wish we still had Poz around to play false nine. His creativity would have been ideal in this apparent "take the ball and do something with it" offensive strategy. He's a better finisher than what they have too, which is pretty sad.

I'd really like to see Kaye as an RCB in a back-three. Good defensive instincts and decent in the air but an absolute pain to watch with the ball. Laryea moves up the pitch and the DPs get more freedom to roam. Just feels so right to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering if anyone would like to engage in a Snog, Marry, and Avoid, type exercise concerning TFC for the Y23 Secondary Transfer Window- 05JUL23 to 02AUG23. I would like learn anyone's preference by gaming-out some ideas. The presumption of course being we are maxed out budgetary cap wise. Although, personally I think there is some space banked for the Richie dilemma; regardless, that money would still be earmarked allocated. Anyways, in this TFC case, it would be according to any MLS/PA-CBA parameters for the Salary Budget Relief For A Season-Ending Injury Replacement Player and the Expansion Of A Player Buyout Policy. Ideally, the main goal would be to at least cover any mid season 3rd DP addition's salary budget charge of circa $325,625.00? As well as, to then make space for moves for other supporting cast options...

The transfer of both or either of the Italians is the easy out <EDIT:> for this exercise. Their replacement would be like for like; not necessarily positionally, but in terms of budget charge.

1/ Your Season-Ending Injury List Player (Salary, a like for like?): For myself, it's Micheal Bradley @1/2 of Salary = $307,143.00.

2/ Your Buy-Out Option Player: For myself, it's Diomande @1/2 of Salary = $295,500.00. And an International Spot?

3/ Your Transfer Out Player: For myself, it's VV [to Miami?] @1/2 of Salary = $150,750.00. And an International Spot?

4/ Your Waiver Selection (Likely responsible for half to most of the salary): For myself, it's Ayo Akinola @1/2 of Salary [U-22 Budget Charge] = S100,000.00.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-02-2023 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would like to engage in a Snog, Marry, and Avoid, type exercise concerning TFC for the Y23 Secondary Transfer Window- 05JUL23 to 02AUG23. I would like learn anyone's preference by gaming-out some ideas. The presumption of course being we are maxed out budgetary cap wise. Although, personally I think there is some space banked for the Richie dilemma; regardless, that money would still be earmarked allocated. Anyways, in this TFC case, it would be according to any MLS/PA-CBA parameters for the Salary Budget Relief For A Season-Ending Injury Replacement Player and the Expansion Of A Player Buyout Policy. Ideally, the main goal would be to at least cover any mid season 3rd DP addition's salary budget charge of circa $325,625.00? As well as, to then make space for moves for other supporting cast options...

The transfer of both or either of the Italians is the easy out. Their replacement would be like for like; not necessarily positionally, but in terms of budget charge.

1/ Your Season-Ending Injury List Player (Salary, a like for like?): For myself, it's Micheal Bradley @1/2 of Salary = $307,143.00.

2/ Your Buy-Out Option Player: For myself, it's Diomande @1/2 of Salary = $295,500.00. And an International Spot?

3/ Your Transfer Out Player: For myself, it's VV [to Miami?] @1/2 of Salary = $150,750.00. And an International Spot?

4/ Your Waiver Selection (Likely responsible for half to most of the salary): For myself, it's Ayo Akinola @1/2 of Salary [U-22 Budget Charge] = S100,000.00.
    I suppose any of the above will help. The bigger issue is that the transfer of the Italians isn't an "easy out" because they're both paid far more than worth on the market. Nobody wants to touch those contracts relative to what they produce.

Remember, Napoli was offering him less than a third of what we paid Insigne, and Bernardeschi was on less than half of what he's on now.

So they have to be cool with spending on another DP in the first place, and that might be difficult. With the ones we've got, we're already the league's most expensive payroll and have nothing to show for it. I highly doubt another DP is in the cards, unless it's an U22 with extreme sell-on potential.

Might get a TAM striker though. That would surprise me less. They can clear out $625K-$1M more easily than they can likely convince the board to spend millions more, the cap hit notwithstanding.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One never knows...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Yes, you are right; of course. It was meant in relation to this exercise. The DP cost question of either or both in respect to a transfer is complicated. I have shared this thought before... that I would not be surprised if either or both Lollo and Fede have been given permission to negotiate with another team. Ideally, it has been conditioned upon a no transfer fee (the honey) and a mutual termination of the contract- no $ owing (the catch). Given what has transpired, I would not be surprised that BB has maintained the confidence of BM and/or the MLSE Board in the matter of player open revolt; a closing of ranks. However, in the matter of winning, a situation thaat could be corporately rationalized as separate, I am not so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I want to see what Gutierrez has too. Franklin is serviceable, If Guti can be as well then Petretta is utterly expendable (though I don't dislike the player).

How I wish we still had Poz around to play false nine. His creativity would have been ideal in this apparent "take the ball and do something with it" offensive strategy. He's a better finisher than what they have too, which is pretty sad.

I'd really like to see Kaye as an RCB in a back-three. Good defensive instincts and decent in the air but an absolute pain to watch with the ball. Laryea moves up the pitch and the DPs get more freedom to roam. Just feels so right to me.
    That’s an interesting comment that Poz would be good in “take the ball and do something with it offensive strategy”. He looked pretty poor under Bradley who seemed to not at all allow him to do his thing. There was a system/structure there and it didn’t suit Poz, at least not where/how he was played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    That’s an interesting comment that Poz would be good in “take the ball and do something with it offensive strategy”. He looked pretty poor under Bradley who seemed to not at all allow him to do his thing. There was a system/structure there and it didn’t suit Poz, at least not where/how he was played.
    Bob was using Poz as a thankless grinder, huffing and puffing running box-to-box. It took him out of the best attacking positions and wasted his energy on things he didn’t do as well.

The one game I remember where he actually played as more of a true AM, the results were quite good. JJ’s form dried up once Poz left too, not a coincidence I’d say.

That said, we can all acknowledge Poz took a big step back with all the off field issues he was having. He was rebounding in Miami and might have done well here too had he stayed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob was using Poz as a thankless grinder, huffing and puffing running box-to-box. It took him out of the best attacking positions and wasted his energy on things he didn’t do as well.

The one game I remember where he actually played as more of a true AM, the results were quite good. JJ’s form dried up once Poz left too, not a coincidence I’d say.

That said, we can all acknowledge Poz took a big step back with all the off field issues he was having. He was rebounding in Miami and might have done well here too had he stayed.
    Bob also took him out of the middle seemingly adverse to the idea of a ten. Poor guy, to think of the way he was used in belgium (which was certainly box to box with loads of freedom and really good young wingers)… a travesty it was here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Bob also took him out of the middle seemingly adverse to the idea of a ten. Poor guy, to think of the way he was used in belgium (which was certainly box to box with loads of freedom and really good young wingers)… a travesty it was here.
    We were “preparing for the arrival of the Italians”, remember that? Sounded nice and long term thinking in the moment. Really should have been red flag #1 about how tactically limited our manager was. As if processional footballers can’t adapt or train multiple things at once or that we should stick to one stupid system rather than try and maximize the talents of the players we have available.