Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    If Bruce Arena can’t get the best out of this guy, nobody will. Maybe the hard ass, take no prisoners approach is what he needs. Never really struck me as putting his foot on the gas while playing with TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Chugga, chugga, choo, choo... all aboard? Smoke... & Fire? Never say never! MLS can be creative too... A slice of a/the club ownership pie
    Last rumor I heard was a 20% ownership stake of Miami and a solid cut of merch sales.

On the football side some of his people talked about MLS and saying that if he comes he wanted to be like Beckham in the way that Beckham is referred to as being the guy that changed MLS from 1.0 to what it has become today. If Messi comes he wants to be known as a player, along with Beckham, that was key in the development of the league. I assume that means a major shake up of the cap, the DP numbers, or the amount of TAM signings and how that works against the cap. I can't see him coming here to play along with what's currently in Miami. He will want it stocked with players of a certain quality and from there it will spread to the ambitious clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Last rumor I heard was a 20% ownership stake of Miami and a solid cut of merch sales. On the football side some of his people talked about MLS and saying that if he comes he wanted to be like Beckham in the way that Beckham is referred to as being the guy that changed MLS from 1.0 to what it has become today. If Messi comes he wants to be known as a player, along with Beckham, that was key in the development of the league. I assume that means a major shake up of the cap, the DP numbers, or the amount of TAM signings and how that works against the cap. I can't see him coming here to play along with what's currently in Miami. He will want it stocked with players of a certain quality and from there it will spread to the ambitious clubs.
    All you suggest is reasonable to me. IMHO, the generational bench-markers in the development/evolution of football in North America... The NY Cosmos w/Pele, Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, then LA Galaxy w/Beckham, and now IMCF with Messi. Well... looks like he is mos def not going back to Barca now with that emerging circus; corruption charges and conditional transfer ban. The confluence of happenstance factors... my Spidey-Sense is a tingling!

BTW, these latest pickings/nuggets, FWIW...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-11-2023 at 06:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article on James Sands return to NYCFC.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/james...r-rangers-loan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Brien finalizing his move to DC today.

O'Brien and Klisch behind Taxi Fountas and Christian Benteke is a seriously dangerous middle of the field in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If Bruce Arena can’t get the best out of this guy, nobody will. Maybe the hard ass, take no prisoners approach is what he needs. Never really struck me as putting his foot on the gas while playing with TFC.
    I think they should get past the arrogance about his ball skills and move him to centre half. I mean, the dude is 6'7 or something now and he doesn't read the two-way game particularly well. Passing backlines are pretty common now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all day… he would be an ideal cb. Just needs to add some muscle to his frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing confirmed... tho chatter seems to be intensifying... spinning into a whirlwind... I BELIEVE... The GOAT will soon browse on MLS... 20SEP23!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-13-2023 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    O'Brien finalizing his move to DC today.

O'Brien and Klisch behind Taxi Fountas and Christian Benteke is a seriously dangerous middle of the field in this league.
    Ah, I saw that coming a mile away. I don’t think he was for us, on a few levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Hillal of Saudi Arabia reportedly offering Messi $220M per year. I don't think he's going to Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insanity is the only way to describe it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Hillal of Saudi Arabia reportedly offering Messi $220M per year. I don't think he's going to Miami.
    If Messi is going to play for $30-40M next season some place because he owns property and likes it there, that would only be in one place -Barcelona.

Otherwise he goes to Saudi.

This has been an irritating kabuki MLS has been running for Apple's benefit since day one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If Messi is going to play for $30-40M next season some place because he owns property and likes it there, that would only be in one place -Barcelona.

Otherwise he goes to Saudi.

This has been an irritating kabuki MLS has been running for Apple's benefit since day one.
    Miami's too. They've sold out everything but single seats through to the second half of the season, apparently, just on the rumour.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^they haven’t released 2nd half single game seats yet for the remainder of the season on Ticketmaster or InterMiami’ websites officially yet.( https://www.intermiamicf.com/tickets/single ) or hadn’t as of last week. Generally speaking what is being sold for the 2nd half is resale by and large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If Messi is going to play for $30-40M next season some place because he owns property and likes it there, that would only be in one place -Barcelona. Otherwise he goes to Saudi. This has been an irritating kabuki MLS has been running for Apple's benefit since day one.
    I am probably peeing into the wind on this one. But that's fine, it happens. I enjoy a bit of pie in the sky for the soul. I would like to think Messi is a different kind of cat, not all tuna, we shall shortly see. I hope he is interested in more than money to leave as, or add to, his legacy; me thinks his family already enjoys generational wealth. IDK, maybe grabbing hands always want to grab all they can; while they can? I believe the influence of other esoteric forces are at play. Being of our time, at the right time, for football in North America, for MLS/FIFA and for the potential the market offers as a frontier and all that that encompasses. The one step beyond. He would be transformative, up there with B&C&P @ NY Cosmos and Beckham @ LAG. Say what you will, I suspect that sort of gravitas is still powerful to a legend. What do you offer someone who has everything? Maybe another significant footnote in the annals of footballs? Barca is a fair default, home, but it is in shambles and not an adventurous way to go out; more like the safe choice. The KSA? There is nothing there to give to be valued and treasured historically. He offers no value-add to 'the beautiful game' by going/being there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other ongoings...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am probably peeing into the wind on this one. But that's fine, it happens. I enjoy a bit of pie in the sky for the soul. I would like to think Messi is a different kind of cat, not all tuna, we shall shortly see. I hope he is interested in more than money to leave as, or add to, his legacy; me thinks his family already enjoys generational wealth. IDK, maybe grabbing hands always want to grab all they can; while they can? I believe the influence of other esoteric forces are at play. Being of our time, at the right time, for football in North America, for MLS/FIFA and for the potential the market offers as a frontier and all that that encompasses. The one step beyond. He would be transformative, up there with B&C&P @ NY Cosmos and Beckham @ LAG. Say what you will, I suspect that sort of gravitas is still powerful to a legend. What do you offer someone who has everything? Maybe another significant footnote in the annals of footballs? Barca is a fair default, home, but it is in shambles and not an adventurous way to go out; more like the safe choice. The KSA? There is nothing there to give to be valued and treasured historically. He offers no value-add to 'the beautiful game' by going/being there.
    These things could all be true, but they aren’t especially likely.

He might do it, I mean what do I know? But Pele is widely viewed by non North Americans to have wasted his time here - that won’t be what his marketing people are telling him…

I just think all the non financial pieces point “home” to Barcelona, and I think its compelling…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt he goes back to Barcelona as they are in shambles especially with the latest scandal

also IMO he has young children and I bet miami is a lot more attractive then Saudi Arabia with a young family. Seba left his wife and kids here when he signed there

plus I don’t really think money is the driver it’s more about where would they have a better lifestyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I doubt he goes back to Barcelona as they are in shambles especially with the latest scandal

also IMO he has young children and I bet miami is a lot more attractive then Saudi Arabia with a young family. Seba left his wife and kids here when he signed there

plus I don’t really think money is the driver it’s more about where would they have a better lifestyle
    When someone's offering you $220M to perform a task that, in just two or three years, you will no longer be able to perform, I'd say mone yis very much the driving issue.

If it wasn't, he'd be in Miami tomorrow. He's already won everything, he's already the consensus greatest ever, and he loves it there apparently.

But MLS's money is going to be an intangible, a gamble, like Beckham getting a cut of LA Galaxy revenue. Whenever you take a deal like that, you're girding up to at some point have your lawyers fighting their lawyers. It worked out for Beckham and he made a half-billion dollars off it.

But... Messi's already guaranteed that in Saudi Arabia, just by showing up. His family will just stay in Spain and he'll jet back privately whenever he feels like it.

THey'll probably give him a four-year-deal AND incentives, so unless MLS is going to figure out a way to give the man a BILLION dollars to play football for two or three years....

Saudi oil money colors all things.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all just guessing at what the wealthy will do. He is already estimated to be worth about $600 million. Sure he could go to SA and do well for himself, but at some point you have enough wealth.

Other factors at play include ego. This would pay him more than Ronaldo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final destination intrigue continues...

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/0...-saudi-arabia/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    We are all just guessing at what the wealthy will do. He is already estimated to be worth about $600 million. Sure he could go to SA and do well for himself, but at some point you have enough wealth.

Other factors at play include ego. This would pay him more than Ronaldo.
    We live in a culture/world in which the winner is the one who is the wealthiest. And in the case of football, it’s also evidence of being the best, of being appreciated, respected, loved. It’s weird and unhealthy but it’s not very often someone takes less to stay in a place he has real feelings for… like our much maligned captain has done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would the signing of Busquets by IMCF signal the coming of Messi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would the signing of Busquets by IMCF signal the coming of Messi?

No.

Why would it? Different levels of player. Older Euro stars come here all the time.

The greatest player ever doesn't. If he does, I can't see this having any impact on it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't see any many older stars come here as we used to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We don't see any many older stars come here as we used to see.
    The business model for big salaries isn't there anymore. Busquets isn't selling a ticket or an apple tv subscription, so you've no money return, and the on field return for them has been 50/50 at best recently. I think as a general practice this has mostly gone the way of the dodo outside of exceptional circumstances for your truly completely spent former star types

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many 35 year olds are on 3.5M euros? Busquets is a DM. He has no business being insulted by that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My perspective is sympatico with Herc's latest on this matter. Seems to confirm that MLS is responsible for MLS Season Pass production, Apple is/provides the platform. Pressure is on! From 48:50 to 53:35.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-18-2023 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-18-2023 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF??? No interest even as a MLS backup? Not even by Philly? Odd.