Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm pretty sure our scouting department isn't focused on top tier talent. I would bet their player knowledge is strong with leagues where they could get players who would come in on TAM and lower.
    So to say that our scouting department would know any better isn't necessarily true either.

To compare Woodward or anyone in that top tier of football - and I assume their scouting departments - to Bill Manning and TFC is ludacris.

This whole nose upturn conversation to what Manning did is beyond dumb. The guy landed two top players doing what he did. It worked. and yet people are still being salty bitches that he did it.

The more I engage with supporter conversations, the more I realize they are more interested in seeing clubs fail. It's some sort of sick obsession to shit on the club no matter how well they do or progress in order to watch a rebuild every 3 years.
    I agree with the first part of this. I mean honestly, talk to your scouts? What's a more efficient way to answer a question, search a database with the answer and find it in literally 5-10 seconds, or call someone who won't know the answer as that isn't their job, get them to check and call you back? What? My mind is blown that people care about this. There is no more efficent way on planet earth to answer the question of 'which big name players can I get without a transfer fee' than this

I disagree with the second part, though. I think the reason people get upset is a weird insecurity and inferiority complex around MLS. They worry it's perceived as mickey mouse, so they're sensitive to anything public that could be embarrassing and lead outsides to believe it's mickey mouse. I don't think the people here want the club to fail at all, but that 'what will fans of REAL leagues think if they read this' sentiment may explain why this one has stuck with people. The funny thing is, we have examples of others from 'real' leagues saying things similar, and I doubt their fans care in the least.

Bottom line, 1, it worked. You can't argue that. And 2. Nobody complaining can tell me a more efficient way to answer the question we had. If you're complaining, find me a more efficient process than one that takes 5 seconds - literally googling 'transfer market free agents'. The information is valid and correct enough to be a jumping off point to start a conversation, which is exactly what we used it to do to make maybe the biggest signing in league history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I agree with the first part of this. I mean honestly, talk to your scouts? What's a more efficient way to answer a question, search a database with the answer and find it in literally 5-10 seconds, or call someone who won't know the answer as that isn't their job, get them to check and call you back? What? My mind is blown that people care about this. There is no more efficent way on planet earth to answer the question of 'which big name players can I get without a transfer fee' than this

I disagree with the second part, though. I think the reason people get upset is a weird insecurity and inferiority complex around MLS. They worry it's perceived as mickey mouse, so they're sensitive to anything public that could be embarrassing and lead outsides to believe it's mickey mouse. I don't think the people here want the club to fail at all, but that 'what will fans of REAL leagues think if they read this' sentiment may explain why this one has stuck with people. The funny thing is, we have examples of others from 'real' leagues saying things similar, and I doubt their fans care in the least.

Bottom line, 1, it worked. You can't argue that. And 2. Nobody complaining can tell me a more efficient way to answer the question we had. If you're complaining, find me a more efficient process than one that takes 5 seconds - literally googling 'transfer market free agents'. The information is valid and correct enough to be a jumping off point to start a conversation, which is exactly what we used it to do to make maybe the biggest signing in league history
    The comment did get mocked by other MLS teams, and I agree. I would mock it too because it is Mickey Mouse. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal, and agree at the end of the day the result is more important, but our president should be a bit smarter about how he messages.
    Last edited by Canary10; 09-01-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The comment did get mocked by other MLS teams, and I agree. I would mock it too because it is Mickey Mouse. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal, and agree at the end of the day the result is more important, but our president should be a bit smarter about how he messages.
    Maybe, I just don't care about being mocked. Random internet commenters mock everything. In their prime you could find random commenters saying Messi and Ronaldo were shit and laughing at them if they missed easy chances. Who cares?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post

I'm getting the sense at this point that MLS (Don Garber and Co) may have finally started to not care what the detractors have to say about the league, as long as they are able to continue to grow and show progress is what matters.

The haters haven't been on board up to this point, The league doesn't need them.

I think the Apple deal is a huge step in that direction. Just like EPL, if you want to watch MLS, you will go and find it on a service that is pretty world renowned. If you are SSH, they will give it to you free so you can immerse yourself more into other MLS markets (smart) The stadiums on a whole are pulling in decent numbers; more high profiled and skilled players are choosing to come here even if they were discovered on transfermarkt. More of our top talent is moving to Europe meaning the standard is being raised on the pitch. And we stopped that BS MLS All Stars vs Euro team garbage game and have now focused on building a partnership with the league next door

I think if the league is able to say "fuck the haters" then fans should as well. We got the deal done. I don't care if Bill did it over Tik Tok - we have 2 players who can actually legit compete for MLS MVP next season with the right core around them.

If any team would become the first to have Co-MVPs - it'll be TFC. And YA'LL CAN THANK TRANSFER-FUCKING-MARKT FOR IT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should sign Vangelis Pavlidis from AZ Alkmaar as a striker DP. Toronto has one of the world's largest Greek communities, he's a lethal striker, and he only cost them $2M a year ago. We might be able to get him for $6-8M plus Addons for future performance -- a sell on percentage -- as he's only 23. (Okay maybe more like $10-12M but he'd score 20-30 in MLS.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangelis_Pavlidis

https://www.transfermarkt.us/vangeli...spieler/324503
    Last edited by jloome; 09-01-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We should sign Vangelis Pavlidis from AZ Alkmaar as a striker DP. Toronto has one of the world's largest Greek communities, he's a lethal striker, and he only cost them $2M a year ago. We might be able to get him for $6-8M plus Addons for future performance -- a sell on percentage -- as he's only 23. (Okay maybe more like $10-12M but he'd score 20-30 in MLS.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangelis_Pavlidis

https://www.transfermarkt.us/vangeli...spieler/324503
    Man I like this idea.

Also, I think I know the music that would play in the stadium when he scores….
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Man I like this idea.

Also, I think I know the music that would play in the stadium when he scores….
    I was about to counter with the Miami Vice theme, but we'd need a striker named Jan Hammer for that. Awesome but unlikely.