Page 9 of 193 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    I have no idea how bad Lawrence's behind the scenes legal issues are, and the details there could change everything, but given what we know on the surface this looks like a horrendous deal.
    I agree, there is no way to know the merits of this trade (or Auro’s) without inside info. What’s frustrating is, our press corp is useless. You have guys who will print things the club doesn’t like but have no access or you have guys with access who are either corporate lap dogs or too busy to chase.

Not much depth of experience as a fan when nothing has context.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He should just become the ne Chryrou. Accept a situational sub role and get a contract similar to what Lawrence had. Unless they radically change the cap rules with the new TV deal that is.
    i think if we had someone who could replace him, he'd accept that role. But he knows as well as we do, there is no one right now.
    Priso may be that guy, but we'll see how he does as the season progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The return on the Kemar deal is obviously disappointing, given the transfer fee we paid to acquire him. However given how public his availability is, I have to imagine this was close to the best return we could get from another MLS team. Maybe another team was offering a player, but TFC valued the open roster spot and salary cap space instead. A lack of due diligence completed by Curtis and Manning previously. Along with that, I'm curious what Kemar's 2022 full season salary comes in at - that may have something to do with why the return was so lack lustre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC2 announced their initial signings. All players from last year. Kobe Franklin included

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    The return on the Kemar deal is obviously disappointing, given the transfer fee we paid to acquire him. However given how public his availability is, I have to imagine this was close to the best return we could get from another MLS team. Maybe another team was offering a player, but TFC valued the open roster spot and salary cap space instead. A lack of due diligence completed by Curtis and Manning previously. Along with that, I'm curious what Kemar's 2022 full season salary comes in at - that may have something to do with why the return was so lack lustre.
    BB and Manning have both mentioned numerous times this off-season that the summer transfer window is when a lot of things are going to happen. I can only assume that they are lining up international players to join the team so the open roster spot would be more valuable to them. I feel like we'll end up with 2-3 long term players in this Summer window.

Thinking ahead, I'm curious to see what happens in the winter transfer window as that's when they will target MLS players to hopefully fill out the roster. That winter transfer window will also give us a final verdict on which youngsters were good enough to stick around and which ones forced us to look within MLS to fill spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of us know whether it's physical decline, attitudinal decline, off-field impairments, or some combination of the above that made Lawrence no longer a viable option for us. However, I agree with noxx98, we got full value for him. Obviously we way overpaid on the way in, but we got full value on the way out. We need to keep in mind, all players are contracted to the league. The teams pay the salaries, but the league owns the contracts. The MLS league office will have been shopping Lawrence for months to every team in the league, and simply, there were no takers, until MUFC found themselves in a pickle. Even then, they took him, but not his salary. I suspect the issue in getting this or anything done was a negotiation between TFC and the league over salary cap rules. Someone on here earlier described this transaction as “another buyout”. I imagine that is how it has gone down in the end. It has been reported that TFC is picking up the salary and any remaining payments on the transfer fee. But, I’ll bet TFC only eventually agreed to this when the league office agreed to not have Lawrence’s salary and pro rata transfer fee count against the TFC salary cap. Candidly, I consider this a big win for TFC. The actual money involved is a rounding error for MLSE. But avoiding the cap allocation is really important for TFC’s alleged summer roster building. This could have worked out worse if no team was willing to take the seemingly impaired Lawrence. As it has transpired, I think we got full value and then some.

On another note, this might set an important precedent. If an MLS team can transfer a player, pick up the salary, and get cap relief, it gives deep pocketed owners like MLSE effectively an unlimited number of buyouts each year (providing there are teams willing to take our cast-offs for free). This could be big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    None of us know whether it's physical decline, attitudinal decline, off-field impairments, or some combination of the above that made Lawrence no longer a viable option for us. However, I agree with noxx98, we got full value for him. Obviously we way overpaid on the way in, but we got full value on the way out. We need to keep in mind, all players are contracted to the league. The teams pay the salaries, but the league owns the contracts. The MLS league office will have been shopping Lawrence for months to every team in the league, and simply, there were no takers, until MUFC found themselves in a pickle. Even then, they took him, but not his salary. I suspect the issue in getting this or anything done was a negotiation between TFC and the league over salary cap rules. Someone on here earlier described this transaction as “another buyout”. I imagine that is how it has gone down in the end. It has been reported that TFC is picking up the salary and any remaining payments on the transfer fee. But, I’ll bet TFC only eventually agreed to this when the league office agreed to not have Lawrence’s salary and pro rata transfer fee count against the TFC salary cap. Candidly, I consider this a big win for TFC. The actual money involved is a rounding error for MLSE. But avoiding the cap allocation is really important for TFC’s alleged summer roster building. This could have worked out worse if no team was willing to take the seemingly impaired Lawrence. As it has transpired, I think we got full value and then some.

On another note, this might set an important precedent. If an MLS team can transfer a player, pick up the salary, and get cap relief, it gives deep pocketed owners like MLSE effectively an unlimited number of buyouts each year (providing there are teams willing to take our cast-offs for free). This could be big.
    The cap relief is the big thing here for me too. If TFC is truly out of his cap hit, even though we are still paying a portion of his salary and transfer fee, that’s big. We’ve seen MLSE use it’s financial strength to great impact on the leafs. For example, they include significant signing bonuses on the first day of each season. MLSE pays that amount and then they can trade that player to a smaller market team who only pays the season salary.

As long as TFC/MLSE doesn’t care about money, it’s a great way for us to get out of contracts when players are past their prime.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    That's an interesting thought for sure. However I cannot imagine the league allowing this to happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cap relief is the big thing here for me too. If TFC is truly out of his cap hit, even though we are still paying a portion of his salary and transfer fee, that’s big. We’ve seen MLSE use it’s financial strength to great impact on the leafs. For example, they include significant signing bonuses on the first day of each season. MLSE pays that amount and then they can trade that player to a smaller market team who only pays the season salary.

As long as TFC/MLSE doesn’t care about money, it’s a great way for us to get out of contracts when players are past their prime.
    a minnesota writer mentioned that tfc are playing some of his salary and the rest of his transfer fee,if true tfc are paying 150-200 k in salary and 400k -500k in transfer fee so i guess that is 500k to 600 k against the cap this year,but who knows we never get the truth on these type of deals

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    That's an interesting thought for sure. However I cannot imagine the league allowing this to happen
    Since most MLS rules are thought up and changed on the fly to suit whatever team they're currently pushing as advertising darlings, they do leave themselves open for short term loopholes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I think it's safe to say we shouldn't hold our collective breath waiting for a press release to confirm this. But as Ultra & Proud points out, there seem to be copious loopholes for when the league needs them. In this case, I'll wager they found a loophole. Whether it becomes precedent, we will wait and read the tea leaves on future deals.

But imagine the scenario. TFC tells Kemar he's no longer welcome and to stay home and get paid. That's not good for Kemar's future earning prospects. The league steps in and says to TFC, come on, if you're willing to eat the salary, let the guy go play somewhere at least. TFC says sure, but, we're not about to make a competitor stronger by adding a serviceable player to their roster, and also allowing them to maintain their full cap space, so we want something in return. We'll do it, but we at least want the cap relief. (a) That seems pretty reasonable, and (b) the league would be motivated to find one of those loopholes. I think, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree, there is no way to know the merits of this trade (or Auro’s) without inside info. What’s frustrating is, our press corp is useless. You have guys who will print things the club doesn’t like but have no access or you have guys with access who are either corporate lap dogs or too busy to chase.

Not much depth of experience as a fan when nothing has context.
    So true. And combined with the lack of league transparency it makes for a hell of a lot of speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We seem to have developed a taste for locking players out of training/training camp. Which doesn’t especially suggest deep respect. However, Lawrence is a starting 11 Jamaican international who came from Anderlecht and was reported to have options in Europe… but most wanted to go to a club that he could win with. He might have had some say in the matter of where he was sent. And he might have a chance of winning in Minnesota.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    They have done that though, haven’t they? Blown it up. Whatever he says. It’s like BB said “time to clean house”

And it very much looks to me like this is a transitional year for MB. Whatever people here think, they need his presence, his work ethic, and skill if they are in a complete rebuild mode.
    Well they haven't really done it, have they? For example Manning is still here. Which could be ok if he showed some awareness of what went wrong. Not sure if you read my whole post. In his words he seems to lack that awareness. The "amazing culture" bit is a joke. He still seems to want to spin the yarn Curtis and Armas were the right guys, but a bunch of circumstance like COVID, plus some bad-egg players were to blame for their failures.

We can just hope that BB has almost all the say in sports matters, and that he can handle all the different roles, which is more than he did in the past. Hopefully Manning is just BS'ing and is mostly dealing with the business side, schmoozing the board, closing the biggest deals, etc. But we don't know that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it with a pound of salt

No one at tfc wanted to bring in kemar Lawrence, no scouts, no staff (couldn’t confirm if that included Ali Curtis) Bill manning was the only one who wanted kemar Lawrence “saw him play for Jamaica in the summer and he was good”

We had a deal for dayne st Claire fall through… you’re not gonna like it… bono (tfc paying most of his salary) new contract for dsc and a pile of gam… westberg “wouldn’t backup a kid” it seems nonesensical that tfc would care about westbergs feelings on the matter though - currently westberg is still trying to force a move

Crepeau also wanted to come to Toronto

Insigne will get whoever he wants to come to tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCD Eindhoven View Post
    Take it with a pound of salt

No one at tfc wanted to bring in kemar Lawrence, no scouts, no staff (couldn’t confirm if that included Ali Curtis) Bill manning was the only one who wanted kemar Lawrence “saw him play for Jamaica in the summer and he was good”

We had a deal for dayne st Claire fall through… you’re not gonna like it… bono (tfc paying most of his salary) new contract for dsc and a pile of gam… westberg “wouldn’t backup a kid” it seems nonesensical that tfc would care about westbergs feelings on the matter though - currently westberg is still trying to force a move

Crepeau also wanted to come to Toronto

Insigne will get whoever he wants to come to tfc
    My connections at TFC are pretty much non-existent these days, but I call bullshit on all of that.

Not a grain of salt, a pound of nonsense.

And I don't believe a 35-year-old keeper who we signed as a backup and was a career backup before coming here is trying to "force a move", either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My connections at TFC are pretty much non-existent these days, but I call bullshit on all of that.

Not a grain of salt, a pound of nonsense.

And I don't believe a 35-year-old keeper who we signed as a backup and was a career backup before coming here is trying to "force a move", either.
    Yea that’s fine, wasn’t from people inside the club (which obviously raises questions of “how do you know no one in the club wanted kemar?”

Wasn’t in a position to probe

Simply posted for conversational purposes as it came from people who know more than me (which is 0)

Fun to have some things on the record if they come true in the future by some chance

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitting pre game in a bar and watching Cinci VS Miami because it's still better than the formula 2 on the screen here.

We are better than those 2 teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sitting pre game in a bar and watching Cinci VS Miami because it's still better than the formula 2 on the screen here.

Neville is such a useless wanker. Easily the worst manager in the league. Utterly lacking in humility to ever take responsibility for how his team performs. He's been trying to play Brek Shea as a central defender and Gonzalo Higuain as a playmaking midfielder so far this season. Just dense as a brick privy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Better than Miami. Cincinnati, I think we're about equal.

Remember this is the roster thread.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-19-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could see Dybala coming to MLS. Another splash DP for TFC? Probably a bit too young for Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently he was only looking for 10-15M from Juve. If he's willing to accept that from a MLS team, no reason it shouldn't be TFC...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

petrasso included in the MLS TOTW.

2nd tfc youngster to be included already.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 03-21-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New farm team for TFC incoming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theparleh.com/post/aleja...nto-fc-in-2022

Pozuelo pushing for a contract extension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theparleh.com/post/aleja...nto-fc-in-2022

Pozuelo pushing for a contract extension
    I think the world of Pozuelo and he looks a lot better than last year, I just am not sure he fits what Bradley wants in his system. A lot depends on Salcedo's status as a DP, but I could see Bob preferring to get a RW'er or a midfielder in the Gini Wijnaldum mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I think the world of Pozuelo and he looks a lot better than last year, I just am not sure he fits what Bradley wants in his system. A lot depends on Salcedo's status as a DP, but I could see Bob preferring to get a RW'er or a midfielder in the Gini Wijnaldum mold.
    He's basically playing for the extension now, I guess. If he another 8-10 goal/15-20 assist season... Dude's not that old. But yeah, he's not the ideal type of player for a high pressing system.

Having said that, his defensive efforts have been pretty stellar so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    What are the implications for TFC, I wonder? Surely not a rebranding. We're the reds, not the blues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    What are the implications for TFC, I wonder? Surely not a rebranding. We're the reds, not the blues.
    Would be no different than Montreal/Bologna who wear different colours.
    We'd get the occasional friendly, somewhere consistent to send players to train in the offseason, get some young player loans from there, etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be more subtle then both the Stinky Cheese Man's Bologna moves & the Citeh Group. Larry T doesn't strike me as the interfering man.