Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It was a big game, big effort - and you could tell they were happy. Played with a certain freedom too. Validated Armas for sure - although lots more chances to see whether he is the right guy, he certainly got the first game right. The first 20 minutes they were the better team, and then were tough to beat the rest of the way.
    There is truth to saying this is a more exciting game. The problem is how fragile we are....players were exceptional, faith in the young guys solid, but we need another forward and defender. Ali get moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    KJ seems to think Jozy going down will speed up our DP pursuit. I am not sure he has met Ali Curtis yet.

Don't worry it should only be two weeks away

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    There is truth to saying this is a more exciting game. The problem is how fragile we are....players were exceptional, faith in the young guys solid, but we need another forward and defender. Ali get moving.
    another forward? let's see if Akinola and Achara are the real deal. Peruzza needs a look too

defender? Rocco Romeo is 21. Julian Dunn is 20. they need games to prove themselves too. now i'd love a commanding CB to replace Gonzalez, but....

play the kids.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But seriously, what is the problem with Ayo? We've heard literally nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On reflection, fascinating.

What is the order of our midfielders? Based on today, I’d say:

Bradley
    Pozeuelo
    Osorio
    Delgado
    OKello
    Priso
    Fraser

And there is room for four

Add the winger / midfielders and I don’t even know where to start

Shaff
    Endoh
    Gallardo
    DeLeon
    Achara

And I am missing some. But that’s 12 competent midfielders for four spots. Will be interesting to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Europe is gonna come for Okello before it even thinks of coming for Priso. Teams dream on that kind of physique and ability on the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Europe is gonna come for Okello before it even thinks of coming for Priso. Teams dream on that kind of physique and ability on the ball.

Reminded me of something Caldwell & KJ said in their "best 25 Canadian based MLS players of all time" list they are doing right now about Davies.

Robinson knew that if you overplayed him, he doesn't grow & he doesn't learn as much.

I think Okello will play half games, only start 1 out of 3 - just like we saw with Davies.

As for Priso, give him time - I remember Osorio had to learn how to be consistent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn’t Okello be a striker? I look at that height and coordination and think he would be lethal up front.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Shouldn’t Okello be a striker? I look at that height and coordination and think he would be lethal up front.
    The fun thing about Okello is that a team in Europe might see him as anything from a striker to a centerback.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    another forward? let's see if Akinola and Achara are the real deal. Peruzza needs a look too

defender? Rocco Romeo is 21. Julian Dunn is 20. they need games to prove themselves too. now i'd love a commanding CB to replace Gonzalez, but....

play the kids.
    Not opposed to playing them and they showed wicked character, even with the massive depth Mullinho brings when your strikeforce consists of two injury prone strikers, a recovering achiles injury in Achara and an unproven at MLS level but high potential player in Peruzza, you cannot stand. If you are serious about winning something. Forget the treble, I mean to win anything you need that certainty upfront.

I thought Zavs was very good and I think perhaps our bias goes away a bit without Vannney but even with Mavinga back, our back line is still fragile. I hope Dunn and Romeo are as good as projected. But Leon missed some sitters last night and we were fortunate. Both Philly (even with losing Aaronson) and Atlanta (Josef is back and Heinze is an up and coming manager) are better. This season is no cakewalk.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 04-08-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's already happened tbf. Wolfsburg were trying to sign him a few years back after one of those training stints iirc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reminded me of something Caldwell & KJ said in their "best 25 Canadian based MLS players of all time" list they are doing right now about Davies.

Robinson knew that if you overplayed him, he doesn't grow & he doesn't learn as much.

I think Okello will play half games, only start 1 out of 3 - just like we saw with Davies.

As for Priso, give him time - I remember Osorio had to learn how to be consistent.
    Okello is 20 not 15. He looks to me like he needs to play regular minutes. Let’s see what he's got.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fun thing about Okello is that a team in Europe might see him as anything from a striker to a centerback.
    A centerback might be a more valuable position than striker these days. Good centerbacks are much harder to find for a MLS club than forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a brilliant game in Armas debut.

11 players were out and two more were injured and they still got a result.

Auro and Omar were tremendous all game. Okello looks like he will fetch TFC a 7 figure payday. There's a logjam in the midfield, a trade might help balance the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s give zavaleta credit too. He wasn’t perfect but he held it together pretty well as a backup facing that quality of opposition.

About what we need from him if he’s to occupy that spot on the roster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents...good start by everyone...Jozy showing he was slowing down 20 minutes into the game but started well and then went down with an injury (no surprise)....all the young guns did well enough for a start against a good team...Bradley still fit and tough so that is good but should learn to do corner kicks further away from the keeper's reach if he is going to be taking them with any regularity...in the end everyone worked really hard and we really got lucky at the end of the game where it was pretty obvious all shape of our team was collapsing. I will definitely take it and see signs of optimism with this team this year especially when we get the full squad going and have our first choice starting lineup. We can be a handful for MLS teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I missed this game thinking it was today. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s give zavaleta credit too. He wasn’t perfect but he held it together pretty well as a backup facing that quality of opposition.

About what we need from him if he’s to occupy that spot on the roster.
    No. He played Bono a hospital pass with a Leon man chasing that nearly cost us this match. Zavaleta was once at this level, he no longer is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Not opposed to playing them and they showed wicked character, even with the massive depth Mullinho brings when your strikeforce consists of two injury prone strikers, a recovering achiles injury in Achara and an unproven at MLS level but high potential player in Peruzza, you cannot stand. If you are serious about winning something. Forget the treble, I mean to win anything you need that certainty upfront.
    I don't disagree. But if you're going to make this argument, I'd also say you need certainty at CAM too. Pozo is the single point of failure with TFC, with no real back up. At least at forward, there's like 6 players who can play that position, and TFC can platoon if it needs to be.
    I thought Zavs was very good and I think perhaps our bias goes away a bit without Vannney but even with Mavinga back, our back line is still fragile. I hope Dunn and Romeo are as good as projected. But Leon missed some sitters last night and we were fortunate. Both Philly (even with losing Aaronson) and Atlanta (Josef is back and Heinze is an up and coming manager) are better. This season is no cakewalk.
    Let's wait a few games before saying how good other MLS teams are...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    No. He played Bono a hospital pass with a Leon man chasing that nearly cost us this match. Zavaleta was once at this level, he no longer is.
    If there are MLS defenders that can play perfect games, well, they wouldn't be playing in MLS.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there are MLS defenders that can play perfect games, well, they wouldn't be playing in MLS.
    I would say this especially applies to backup defenders. And let’s be honest, there were lots of things that could of happened that game but didn’t, I don’t see a reason to hold Zavaleta to a higher standard than others.

I would say 7 or 8 of our players could have similar call-outs (Priso coughing up the ball in bad spots, Bono’s poor command of his box and spilling that rebound right to an attacker rather than punching it clear, Laryea’s school-boy defending covered only by his pace)

Not fair just to pinpoint Zavaleta, especially when he otherwise played a decent game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would say this especially applies to backup defenders. And let’s be honest, there were lots of things that could of happened that game but didn’t, I don’t see a reason to hold Zavaleta to a higher standard than others.

I would say 7 or 8 of our players could have similar call-outs (Priso coughing up the ball in bad spots, Bono’s poor command of his box and spilling that rebound right to an attacker rather than punching it clear, Laryea’s school-boy defending covered only by his pace)

Not fair just to pinpoint Zavaleta, especially when he otherwise played a decent game.
    ^this.

Laryea got torched badly as a defender, and hopefully this is just one game and he learns from his mistakes.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's either perfect or Zavaletta? Yikes there is a lot of middle ground there that would be acceptable. Zav played good enough to play again, but let's not pretened the last 3 or 4 years don't exist, or that he wasn't a lucky bounce or 2 away from a pretty bad and forgettable performance. He's a liability for this team if he's higher than 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listened to the post game interviews. Funny how the Mexican reporters compliment but at the same time talk down about TFC. "Congratulations on the result, it was just a tie but must feel like a win for you...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree. But if you're going to make this argument, I'd also say you need certainty at CAM too. Pozo is the single point of failure with TFC, with no real back up. At least at forward, there's like 6 players who can play that position, and TFC can platoon if it needs to be.

But I think the issue is: where can we really count on getting goals? Altidore looks to be picking up where he left off in certain respects. We can praise the activity level last night but a better sign would have been him potting that free header.

I am okay with giving the rest of the guys time. Certainly they could develop into something special down the road and Mullins always gives a workman like effort.

But in big games we need more than this to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Lol oh ok really so because of that he had a bad game ? He did well like he has done many times before , but when a player is disliked it’s very easy to watch a player play and only see the negatives. He usually does not make anymore or any less mistakes than most Center Backs in this league or region .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    So it's either perfect or Zavaletta? Yikes there is a lot of middle ground there that would be acceptable. Zav played good enough to play again, but let's not pretened the last 3 or 4 years don't exist, or that he wasn't a lucky bounce or 2 away from a pretty bad and forgettable performance. He's a liability for this team if he's higher than 4th or 5th on the depth chart.
    Whatever discussion is going on between Armas and Curtis, they've decided that re-signing Zavaleta as someone who's familiar with TFC is better than trying to get another defender in after Zavaleta's contract expired. Whether that's the right call or not, we shall see.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we held the 2020 champions of Mexico, at their stadium, at altitude, to a single (unstoppable) goal ... and we think something was wrong with anyone on our backline last night?
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2021 at 12:13 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS soccer punditry has the attention span of a gnat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So we held the 2020 champions of Mexico, at their stadium, at altitude, to a single (unstoppable) goal ... and we think something was wrong with anyone on our backline last night?
    if that was the only data point to consider then sure.. our defense is unbeatable. i have watched more than last night however so my impression is that something is wrong with our backline. i think this despite the success in one match where the other team had 18 shots and missed 2 impossible to miss chances, hit the woodwork 2x, and had at least 1 goal called back on a close offside.