Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    As far as I remember, I think one of the journos was talking about it.
    I think I mentioned my favourite version of Bradley so far is when he played at the 10 in the diamond 2015. Maybe Bradley takes the Tyler Adams role this year?

From MLS Soccer dot com on 2017 Eastern Conference Semi Final Home Leg:
    Never one to shy away from a tactical twist, Red Bulls head coach Jesse Marsch had another trick up his sleeve with his team's season in the balance. This time around, he opted to send out his team in a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with the twist coming as Tyler Adams was deployed at the point of the diamond, as a "forward destroyer." The move paid dividends in that it limited Michael Bradley to his fewest touches in a game and Toronto to their fewest shots in a game all season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so with the players we have today what is the starting lineup?

westberg
    lareya gonzo mavinga auro

delgado ?
    bradley poz oso

jozy
    Why Are the wingers on the roster completely ignored?

I doubt Bradley is an everyday starter this year. He will be pushed by priso, and is highly unlikely to be equal quality in relation to Oso and Delgado.

Even if you go old school, endoh and DeLeon would replace Oso on the wing and push him back to CDM. Why not put JMR and Nelson on the wing if you want speed?

They may not have polish, but they have talent and speed. Took a bit to realize that you think the eleventh best player on our roster is "?" Especially if you have that player being a CDM. That CDM would obviously be one of Priso/Fraser/Okello.

Could we also see the team pulling a laryea on shaffleburg? Might not be the worst idea since he has speed and work rate, and not much production. We might have just gotten Gallacher to bridge the time until our own player could be ready to become a rotation LB, with the possibility of Stepping up to starter if he is good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Why Are the wingers on the roster completely ignored?

I doubt Bradley is an everyday starter this year. He will be pushed by priso, and is highly unlikely to be equal quality in relation to Oso and Delgado.

Even if you go old school, endoh and DeLeon would replace Oso on the wing and push him back to CDM. Why not put JMR and Nelson on the wing if you want speed?

They may not have polish, but they have talent and speed. Took a bit to realize that you think the eleventh best player on our roster is "?" Especially if you have that player being a CDM. That CDM would obviously be one of Priso/Fraser/Okello.

Could we also see the team pulling a laryea on shaffleburg? Might not be the worst idea since he has speed and work rate, and not much production. We might have just gotten Gallacher to bridge the time until our own player could be ready to become a rotation LB, with the possibility of Stepping up to starter if he is good enough.
    the big fail for curtis so far is he didnt find the next LB starter he had mths and nothing so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I wonder if Dunn gets a few games of play. I watched some of his highlights from the CPL this season, and he seemed to do quite well tracking back and passing out of the back. Certainly has more speed that Omar. Some highlights here, with defensive plays starting around the 4 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHf_f4vru6U
    Completely agree. To me he is a lock to get big minutes even if they bring in another CB. He's athletic, is a good passer, has length, decent wheels - everything we need from a CB on this team right now. I still would like another CB to push Zav a little further out.

I also think (in resoponse to some of the roster talk in the thread) we are going to see a lot of Jayden Nelson, Ralph Priso, and JMR. You don't get the hype train moving by hiding them on TFC 2 until they are 26. It's not like last year - they are going to play regularly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, anybody who wants to understand what the heck this team is going to do.....you HAVE to go listen to Armas presser today. There's a lot of hints their. Don't just read the journos takes.

Specifically, the answer to Buffery's question at 1:40 - he gives out a LOT of what people are being asked to do. Press is happening but certain guys getting creative freedom (Poz) - backline playing higher up the pitch - Mavinga & Omar being put into places they are not comfortable with & "when in doubt be aggressive".

Based on listening to this, I think we are playing a 4-2-3-1.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    backline playing higher up the pitch - Mavinga & Omar being put into places they are not comfortable with & "when in doubt be aggressive".
    Wow we had lots of screw-ups with that last year (and even occasionally the year before). We shall see I guess.

I'll try to listen to the whole presser. That's where I still notice my PTSD from the horrible days at TFC. I used to gobble up every interview, every presser, anything TFC-related. But so many years of screw-ups, with empty or broken promises -- made me totally allergic to any of that talk. I should try again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

I'll try to listen to the whole presser. That's where I still notice my PTSD from the horrible days at TFC. I used to gobble up every interview, every presser, anything TFC-related. But so many years of screw-ups, with empty or broken promises -- made me totally allergic to any of that talk. I should try again.
    Oh, I'm not saying its not all going to go pear shaped or that Armas is not spinning stuff here. But if people want to understand how we are going to play, Armas is telling us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some minor news on Borre from an article I don't think has been shared yet: https://elintransigente.com/2021/03/...orre-de-river/

Highlights were that Borre is most likely going to leave River however he'd like to have some sort of transfer fee involved so that River is not left empty handed.
    His goal is to play in Europe again and wanted to do it with this contract, but that seems unlikely at this point.
    His agent has experience with MLS, representing Fredy Montero of Vancouver and Michael Barrios of Colorado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow we had lots of screw-ups with that last year (and even occasionally the year before). We shall see I guess.

I had visions of Andy Iro playing the high line years ago under Winter. Gulp.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, anybody who wants to understand what the heck this team is going to do.....you HAVE to go listen to Armas presser today. There's a lot of hints their. Don't just read the journos takes.

Specifically, the answer to Buffery's question at 1:40 - he gives out a LOT of what people are being asked to do. Press is happening but certain guys getting creative freedom (Poz) - backline playing higher up the pitch - Mavinga & Omar being put into places they are not comfortable with & "when in doubt be aggressive".

Based on listening to this, I think we are playing a 4-2-3-1.

Don't be surprised if we see Delgado and Oso being the two guys right in front of the defence with Bradley being in front of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm not saying its not all going to go pear shaped or that Armas is not spinning stuff here. But if people want to understand how we are going to play, Armas is telling us.
    You know, it was an presser of decent substance. The problem is, in this market, without a bit of noise / style you’re going to get lost in the shuffle.

They have to wake up and realize the importance of marketing. Especially with the backdrop of a 2026 WC in North America. There will never be a better opportunity to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Don't be surprised if we see Delgado and Oso being the two guys right in front of the defence with Bradley being in front of them.
    One of my favourite runs of form for Osorio was when he first joined the team and played next to Laba in the 4-2-3-1. That really seemed to get the most out of his skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You know, it was an presser of decent substance. The problem is, in this market, without a bit of noise / style you’re going to get lost in the shuffle.

They have to wake up and realize the importance of marketing. Especially with the backdrop of a 2026 WC in North America. There will never be a better opportunity to grow.
    The only thing their social media has been promoting is the stadium they probably won't be playing in until next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and now they are promoting gallardo like he is the second coming
    are the media fed on what to ask,not a single question on our LB.CB ,DP situation.
    Last edited by reggie; 03-02-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see that Mullinho hype though. No doubt Chris Armas has been on the board and bought in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are the media fed on what to ask,not a single question on our LB.CB ,DP situation.
    Buffery is a joke and outside of that I'm not even sure who there is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the answer to the DP question not, we're close to getting something done?

This is the coach not the GM. He has nothing to do with player acquisition. As for LB, he big upped Morrow and said vague things about the draft pick.

He was asked if Dunn would be getting minutes this year and danced around the answer. Personally I felt he was being very coy about his mention of shaffleburg.he mentioned that he was contributing well to the attack, which he could be doing from a LB position.

If the club feels that they have the necessary pieces in the club structure already. Then any piece that they bring in would have to be better than the internal options. Since we are not inside the club we don't know how they rate these players.

I highly doubt that they have not identified these holes in the roster, and are blithely heading into the season with no plan.

Looking back at 2018 we went into the season with auro as our only proven RB and left with him as the backup to laryea. Why is it hard to believe that the team cannot pull another such Rabbit out of it's hat?

If Dunn shows to be ready for MLS we are fine for CB depth, as we would only have to get to June to get a fifth CB, in the form of Romeo. Without internal scouting reports we just don't know. I wonder why we feel it is incumbent upon the team to give us this information?

When the team actually plays we will know what the depth chart looks like and where players fit. The lack of trust for a successful FO is rather confusing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Justin Morrow needs to step up and be an all-star again. That's the plan for LB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justin Morrow needs to step up and be an all-star again. That's the plan for LB
    I highly doubt they are that bad at their jobs.

That would be a monumentally stupid plan.

Do you truly believe this leadership group is that short sighted, foolish, and blind?

Or are you simply mad at them for not telling you what their plan is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you truly believe this leadership group is that short sighted, foolish, and blind?

It certainly isn't visible what their plan is, for any of this - I think it is reasonable to question the path forward when there have not been too many signs of what it is.

Also, the history of this club suggests a healthy scepticism of management is reasonable.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-02-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh Yaro, remember him?
    Coming in on trial
    https://mlsmultiplex.com/2021/03/02/...mpression=true
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 03-02-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It certainly isn't visible what their plan is, for any of this - I think it is reasonable to question the path forward when there have not been too many signs of what it is.
    I am not sure what entitles us to a visible path? Should they be required to publish their prospective depth chart 10 days into training?

It seems to me the question at LB is what happens if 2 of the three currently known outside backs on the team are injured or unavailable at the same time. Which is a legit question. Not necessarily one that needs to be answered this moment by the coach.
    Last edited by bought with blo; 03-02-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Josh Taro, remember him?
    Coming in on trial
    https://mlsmultiplex.com/2021/03/02/...mpression=true
    smallish cb, 2nd overall pick a few years ago,maybe a lareya type project?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are you going off about? Where did you see any indication that I would be mad at TFC about the LB? Stay off the tide pods kid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smallish cb, 2nd overall pick a few years ago,maybe a lareya type project?
    Well, if a 26 yr old could be considered a project.

I remember this guy having speed. Might be an asset for a high press and chase down players when the press fails.

But I'd rather give the kids mins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you going off about? Where did you see any indication that I would be mad at TFC about the LB? Stay off the tide pods kid
    Sorry for the incorrect inference. The seemingly quite sarcastic response relative to Morrow the all Star LB seemed quite dissatisfied with current state of the position.

If you were not being sarcastic and truly think that Morrow will be an all star LB, or you would not be at all upset if we went into the season with only three named outside backs on the roster, then those are different conversations.

Did not mean to offend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Well, if a 26 yr old could be considered a project.

I remember this guy having speed. Might be an asset for a high press and chase down players when the press fails.

But I'd rather give the kids mins
    lareya is 26
    defenders tend to mature later in life,maybe tfc 2 depth
    Last edited by reggie; 03-02-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lareya is 26
    defenders tend to mature later in life,maybe tfc 2 depth
    Reading between the lines I think Armas knows Gonzalez won't cut it. He will need more athletic CBs like what they had in NY. Probably sign one from abroad (the French guy maybe), maybe Yaro, and possibly Dunn on top of Mavinga & Zavaleta. I think Omar will be traded at some point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry for the incorrect inference. The seemingly quite sarcastic response relative to Morrow the all Star LB seemed quite dissatisfied with current state of the position.

If you were not being sarcastic and truly think that Morrow will be an all star LB, or you would not be at all upset if we went into the season with only three named outside backs on the roster, then those are different conversations.

Did not mean to offend.
    Sorry for snapping. I can see how that could be seen as sarcastic - let's try this again

The plan sounds like they want Morrow to get back to All-Star level form - that IMO doesn't mean literally being an all star. He's a really good player - on the upper level of skill and IQ for players born out of this league. Players like him have the ability to do very well in later stages of their career based on their IQ and skill (See drew moor). So not All-star league wide - but all star on the team.

A healthy Morrow playing at his best has him starting more games than not.

So that would mean a strong rotation of Lareya, Auro and Morrow at LB/RB
    +1 youngster getting minor minutes to give these players a break (probably morrow)

This buys us at least until the next transfer window, maybe even next season to find a suitable replacement.

Worse case if Morrow doesn't pan out - bring in a European player looking for minutes (Tony Gallacher type player) to fill in for the rest of the season. worked well for us and Tony last season. I can see us getting a better player this time around for this experiment.

They could being looking for a LB now for all we know, Armas hesitated when he was laying out the plan for Morrow. Maybe he isn't convinced Morrow can do the job. But IMO - even if he can't - we have until the summer window to fix that "issue"
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-02-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for snapping. I can see how that could be seen as sarcastic - let's try this again

The plan sounds like they want Morrow to get back to All-Star level form - that IMO doesn't mean literally being an all star. He's a really good player - on the upper level of skill and IQ for players born out of this league. Players like him have the ability to do very well in later stages of their career based on their IQ and skill (See drew moor). So not All-star league wide - but all star on the team.

A healthy Morrow playing at his best has him starting more games than not.

So that would mean a strong rotation of Lareya, Auro and Morrow at LB/RB
    +1 youngster getting minor minutes to give these players a break (probably morrow)

This buys us at least until the next transfer window, maybe even next season to find a suitable replacement.

Worse case if Morrow doesn't pan out - bring in a European player looking for minutes (Tony Gallacher type player) to fill in for the rest of the season.

They could being looking for a LB now for all we know, Armas hesitated when he was laying out the plan for Morrow. Maybe he isn't convinced Morrow can do the job. But IMO - even if he can't - we have until the summer window to fix that "issue"
    Personally my problem with relying on Morrow, is not his quality, which, defensively is still quite good. It is his likelihood of staying healthy enough to be a day in day out player. I don't feel been can rely on him for 2500 mins anymore than we can rely on Jozy for that. Morrow has missed a good bit of time the last two years with various niggling injuries. This is an indicator that he is getting old, his body is wearing out. I feel we need him at his best when he plays, but we need a reliable number two to cover when he is injured.

I am willing to be patient, the window will still be open for a long time.