Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Basically, if TFC end the season 5-1-1, they clinch the SS, regardless of what NYC does.
    So we have 7 games left, and NYCFC has 8 games left, for any combination of us gaining points and them losing points to make it to a total of 16 at this point. I like those odds. I wouldn't be shocked if this team took care of it all on their own like you said with the 5-1-1.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our home games should be wins (SJ, MTL x2, NYRB)
    Out to LA I would lean towards a Win as LAG is not what they use to be.
    New England is always a strange place to play for TFC (plus Vanney better not have Jozy anywhere near that Pitch with his history) - I'd say one loss
    Atlanta at the end of the season is a toss up - they are the only system that can cause us problems - draw.

5-1-1 is my final thought on this stretch as well. (But, may also be 4-1-2 with a draw against MTL in either of the 2 remaining games)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully we can clinch with a game or two left so we can rest some guys before the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS GP GR Max Playoffs?
    Shield?
    Toronto FC 56 27 7 77 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    New York City FC 47 26 8 71 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    Columbus Crew SC 42 28 6 60 Wildcard vs Atlanta United FC
    Chicago Fire 41 26 8 65 Wildcard vs New York Red Bulls
    New York Red Bulls 39 25 9 66 Wildcard @ Chicago Fire
    Atlanta United FC 36 24 10 66 Wildcard @ Columbus Crew SC
    Montreal Impact 36 25 9 63 HOPE
    Philadelphia Union 31 27 7 52 HOPE NO Chance
    Orlando City SC 31 26 8 55 HOPE NO Chance
    New England Revolution 29 25 9 56 HOPE
    D.C. United 28 27 7 49 HOPE NO Chance
    WESTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS GP GR Max Playoffs?
    Seattle Sounders FC 42 27 7 63 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    Portland Timbers 41 28 6 59 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    Sporting Kansas City 40 25 9 67 Wildcard vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 38 25 9 65 Wildcard vs Houston Dynamo
    Houston Dynamo 38 26 8 62 Wildcard @ Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    San Jose Earthquakes 36 27 7 57 Wildcard @ Sporting Kansas City
    FC Dallas 36 25 9 63 HOPE
    Real Salt Lake 35 28 6 53 HOPE NO Chance
    Minnesota United FC 25 25 9 52 HOPE NO Chance
    LA Galaxy 23 25 9 50 HOPE NO Chance
    Colorado Rapids 22 25 9 49 HOPE NO Chance

Some fun with Excel. Playoff column is if the season ended today.
    Last edited by fergiejr; 08-28-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the top 6 in the east are set, we just have to wait on the order. We'll beat Montreal twice more and even if we split those points, the game in hand and easier schedules for the other teams puts them at a disadvantage.

Here's the remaining schedule

Columbus, 42pts/6 games: SKC, Vancouver, NYRB, DCU, Orlando, NYCFC... 3 away

Chicago, 41pts/8 games: Montreal, NYRB, DCU, Philly, SJ, NYCFC, Philly, Houston... 4 away

New York Drink, 39pts/10 games: FCD, Chicago, Philly, SKC, Columbus, DCU, TFC, Vancouver, Atlanta, DCU... 6 away games

Atlanta, 36pts/10 games: FCD, Revs, Orlando, LAG, Montreal, Philly, Revs, Minnesota, NYRB, TFC... only 2 away

Montreal, 36pts/9 games: Chicago, Revs, Minnesota, TFC, Atlanta, NYCFC, Colorado, TFC, Revs... 5 away

Montreal look to have the hardest schedule there in both fixtures, and number of away games. I know anything can happen in MLS, but the odds are really stacked against them here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Montreal look to have the hardest schedule there in both fixtures, and number of away games. I know anything can happen in MLS, but the odds are really stacked against them here.
    True, but no other team has been playing as well as them lately either, including everyone above them (except for TFC of course). TFC's win ended a 4 game win streak for Montreal. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to miss the playoffs, and for us to play a hand in it, but I could easily see them catching teams above them if they keep playing like they have been lately. Hell if I was Chicago (5 losses, last 6 games) I'd be worried about them, and NYRB/Atlanta and their game in hands catching up.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus is another version of Chicago. Good attack, shaky defence

Atlanta looks shaky. Not very convincing vs Philly and lucky to get a draw. They also have lots of game in short amount of time.
    Last edited by Yohan; 08-28-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's also the unbalanced schedule and the crazy MLS scheduling that make the SS not a fair representation of who wins the league. The playoff format is better imo, although still not ideal.
    Incidentally, our record against the West is 5-1-3 for a 2.0 points per game average.

We have beaten up on the West just as much as the East.

Unbalanced or no as far as fixtures are concerned, this team, should it win the SS, can rightfully claim that they were the best team in the league and the apologists for the West can go pound sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Incidentally, our record against the West is 5-1-3 for a 2.0 points per game average.

We have beaten up on the West just as much as the East.

Unbalanced or no as far as fixtures are concerned, this team, should it win the SS, can rightfully claim that they were the best team in the league and the apologists for the West can go pound sand.
    Lol. When you're this dominant I have to agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible TFC could go undefeated the rest of the regular season? 5 wins and 2 ties would pretty much break most of the records for best MLS team ever. The games I'm most worried about right now are NER away and NYCFC at home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    .....Atlanta looks shaky. Not very convincing vs Philly and lucky to get a draw. They also have lots of game in short amount of time.
    Atlanta reminds me of us the last couple of seasons vis a vis the whole "oh they'll start rocketing up once they start playing at home" thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know at what point in the season teams start to clinch playoff spots? We have to be almost there by now. I guess we are still a couple games away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Anyone know at what point in the season teams start to clinch playoff spots? We have to be almost there by now. I guess we are still a couple games away.
    Somebody posted somewhere that in 1 out of over 400K scenarios, we don't make the playoffs. Basically, we will have officially made it as of Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic numbers:

8 points - clinch (We are 20 points clear of Montreal who have possible 27 points available)
    10 points - avoid play down (15 points clear, 24 points available to Chicago)
    11 points - home advantage semi (tie - 20 points clear and 30 points available to Atlanta; 17 points clear and 27 points available to NYRB)
    16 points - Conference / SS (9 points clear, 24 points available to NYCFC)

(edit: KGH is correct, first clinch is 5 points, because Columbus has played 3 games more than Montreal and so could drop out - 14 clear but 18 available)
    Last edited by paul-collins; 08-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ours is actually 5 pts to clinch a playoff spot. Columbus can only hit 60 max. Although they're currently in 3rd they've played 28 games. They would be the 5th team that we would mathematically finish ahead of (max possible points DC 49, PHI 52, ORL 55, NE 56) securing a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But can we take a moment and recognize this discussion we're having. We're talking about when can we be the first team to clinch a playoff spot.

And the title of this thread is Supporters shield race and we're talking about how many points for US to clinch it.

Let's make sure we enjoy this ride while we can.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MTL can hit Max of 63, which is more than Columbus. So that's 7 points (?)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS
    GP
    GR Max
    Toronto FC 56 27 7 77
    New York City FC 47 26 8 71
    Columbus Crew SC 42 28 6 60
    Chicago Fire 41 26 8 65
    New York Red Bulls 39 25 9 66
    Atlanta United FC 36 24 10 66
    Montreal Impact
    Philadelphia Union 31 27 7 52
    Orlando City SC 31 26 8 55
    New England Revolution 29 25 9 56
    D.C. United 28 27 7 49
    Road Games:
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Is it possible TFC could go undefeated the rest of the regular season? 5 wins and 2 ties would pretty much break most of the records for best MLS team ever. The games I'm most worried about right now are NER away and NYCFC at home.
    I'd expect now opponents will start playing more behind the ball, playing for draws. The wins may be hard to come by.

If TFC can get points in NER where it's been so difficult, that would be quite an achievement.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta and the 2x Montreal games will be open affairs - both will need the win to keep in the playoff race and Montreal especially will try to punish us at home. San Jose might play for the tie, and LAG may not even show up. NER will try to ruin things for us.
    Road Games:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if 16 points is what it takes to clinch the SS, it will take a 5 game winning streak prior to meeting Montreal the second time in Toronto in order for that game to be possibly the one for the Shield?
    Would two losses or two ties in the next 6 games (plus NYCFC going on a streak of wins) mean that TFC will travel to Atlanta needing points?
    Don't want to jinx anything, but the perfect end to the season imho will be lifting the shield after beating Montreal and travelling to Atlanta with a chance to rest players and play the bench.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the earliest a team has clinched the shield?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    So if 16 points is what it takes to clinch the SS, it will take a 5 game winning streak prior to meeting Montreal the second time in Toronto in order for that game to be possibly the one for the Shield?
    Would two losses or two ties in the next 6 games (plus NYCFC going on a streak of wins) mean that TFC will travel to Atlanta needing points?
    Don't want to jinx anything, but the perfect end to the season imho will be lifting the shield after beating Montreal and travelling to Atlanta with a chance to rest players and play the bench.....
    16 points is a combination of us gaining, and NYCFC losing, so it could come much sooner than the Montreal game (or not, don't want to get ahead of things).

A 2 point/game pace is considered pretty exceptional in MLS - if NYCFC can keep that pace for the last 8 games they have that still means they're dropping 8 points over the remainder of the season. I'd love to see us set before that last Montreal game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be in Manchester the weekend of October 15, so just to aggravate me, the SS lift will happen at the game vs Mtl. hashtag all about me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    MTL can hit Max of 63, which is more than Columbus. So that's 7 points (?)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS
    GP
    GR Max
    Toronto FC 56 27 7 77
    New York City FC 47 26 8 71
    Columbus Crew SC 42 28 6 60
    Chicago Fire 41 26 8 65
    New York Red Bulls 39 25 9 66
    Atlanta United FC 36 24 10 66
    Montreal Impact
    Philadelphia Union 31 27 7 52
    Orlando City SC 31 26 8 55
    New England Revolution 29 25 9 56
    D.C. United 28 27 7 49
    Forget current table position for a second. We only have to finish above 5 teams (top 6 make the playoffs). In order to clinch a playoff spot our points have to be more than the team in 7th could possibly get. So looking at the max possible points above we already have more than PHI, ORL, or DC could get if he managed to win every game remaining for them.

That next lowest is NE who would have to win out to get 56 which is what we currently have. So our magic number to finish above NE is 1. Unfortunately finishing only above NE doesn't get us in to the playoffs. So we have to look at the next lowest max points.

Although they're currently in 3rd Columbus has played more games than anyone so their max is 60. If we can finish above them then we're in the playoffs. So our magic number is 5 to get us to 61 (I think first tie breaker is head to head so we could theoretically finish with 60 and still finish above them). Once we have 61 then it is impossible for us to finish lower than 6th.

Therefore our magic number is 5.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I'll be in Manchester the weekend of October 15, so just to aggravate me, the SS lift will happen at the game vs Mtl. hashtag all about me
    Well I will be in Manchester and London the week, thus missing Red Bulls home game. Seeing Man City in their first Champions League group stage home game among others.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Forget current table position for a second. We only have to finish above 5 teams (top 6 make the playoffs). In order to clinch a playoff spot our points have to be more than the team in 7th could possibly get.

<snip>

Although they're currently in 3rd Columbus has played more games than anyone so their max is 60. If we can finish above them then we're in the playoffs. So our magic number is 5 to get us to 61 (I think first tie breaker is head to head so we could theoretically finish with 60 and still finish above them). Once we have 61 then it is impossible for us to finish lower than 6th.

Yes your logic is correct. I used the same logic for all the other magic numbers but did not for this one because I hadn't noticed the 28 games played by Columbus...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget current table position for a second. We only have to finish above 5 teams (top 6 make the playoffs). In order to clinch a playoff spot our points have to be more than the team in 7th could possibly get. So looking at the max possible points above we already have more than PHI, ORL, or DC could get if he managed to win every game remaining for them. Therefore our magic number is 5.
    I'm not sure it's quite so simple, as the teams in question play each other--maximum points for all teams is impossible.

This link: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html has TFC with no chance of missing the playoffs with 2 more points (0-2-5 in our final games).

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. So if I get this right, if Columbus loses on 9/9 and we beat San Jose, then we're in?
    Road Games:

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I'm not sure it's quite so simple, as the teams in question play each other--maximum points for all teams is impossible.

This link: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html has TFC with no chance of missing the playoffs with 2 more points (0-2-5 in our final games).
    You actually have to go up to 60pts to find a 0% chance. That's 4 points.
    With 58 points, there's a 4% chance we end up in 7th. Slim, but a chance.
    Road Games:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    You actually have to go up to 60pts to find a 0% chance. That's 4 points.
    With 58 points, there's a 4% chance we end up in 7th. Slim, but a chance.
    I don't see that in the chart. With 58 points, it's a 4% chance we end up in 4th.