Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There are rumours that both Home Depot United and eventually the Loons will be using hybrid. The Home Depot supporters seem to be crowing about it because "WEMBLEY!".
    It's already been confirmed Atlanta are using the fake stuff

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/s...2cjo4NTlLTD9O/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

So we'll be reading stories about DPs saying, "I really like it in Atlanta, but I was surprised about the fake grass."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't have a good feeling Atlanta will be a good franchise ... kinda of like NER or DC
    Its like this team should be Garber United.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    don't have a good feeling Atlanta will be a good franchise ... kinda of like NER or DC
    I don't get that sense. They've pretty much knocked everything out of the park so far.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, it's your 'feeling' up against the $3.1 billion personal net worth and soundly established business acumen of one Arthur Blank.

I'm sure Mr. Blank isn't worried in the slightest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i knew Seattle, New England, and vancouver play on fake grass (all share with football teams) but why Portland? Out of all teams, that's weird. And Vancouver....can they follow what TFC and Argos have done with real grass? It's better then fake grass for both teams I imagine. I never see a NFL team following tho in USA what Toronto has done, they wouldn't give a shit what conditions the field is in for a MLS team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    i knew Seattle, New England, and vancouver play on fake grass (all share with football teams) but why Portland? Out of all teams, that's weird. And Vancouver....can they follow what TFC and Argos have done with real grass? It's better then fake grass for both teams I imagine. I never see a NFL team following tho in USA what Toronto has done, they wouldn't give a shit what conditions the field is in for a MLS team
    Portland has a plastic pitch due to the weather ... it just rains to much. Portland shares its field with college football as well, although 4-5 games instead of 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    If your expectation is that the pitch at BMO Field will never again be substandard, you're probably going to be disappointed one day.
    I never said that I wasn't expecting the pitch to never be substandard again. I was merely stating that it shouldn't be an issue with what remains at BMO this year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a point where a horribly deteriorated field actually becomes an added source of entertainment. I'd pay to watch the CFL if it was played under these conditions:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Whitecaps still have plans to move out of the dome for a new ground in Gastown. They got politically hornswoggled into playing on plastic for a few years to help pay down the stadium costs. If they hadn't, they would have faced a hostile political process to get approval for a new stadium. It'll be grass.

The Sounders are also considering building their own stadium which will have a proper grass surface. As for New England, I'm not sure Bob Kraft even knows he owns a MLS team, let alone where or what they play on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a troubling trend in MLS that we are getting more plastic pitches and shared stadiums again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland has a plastic pitch due to the weather ... it just rains to much. Portland shares its field with college football as well, although 4-5 games instead of 10
    You can have quality pitches in cities were it rains a lot, just check out cities like Cardiff and Manchester, notoriously wet cites in the UK...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with Portland's stadium, along with what Oynx said, is that it sits right above a water table which makes digging down and grass growth an issue. It's not impossible but apparently massively expensive, at least that's what their owner has said previously.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's a troubling trend in MLS that we are getting more plastic pitches and shared stadiums again.
    Yes MLS but even worse here at home will be the optics of groundshare with our game if (but hopefully when) the CPL actually partners with CFL. Great for more Canadian footy but a lot of people won't understand how good we had it with our stadium before groundshare.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    So, it's your 'feeling' up against the $3.1 billion personal net worth and soundly established business acumen of one Arthur Blank.

I'm sure Mr. Blank isn't worried in the slightest.
    BTW Arthur Blank is, like, my favorite person in sports. Period

I guarantee short of acting like complete buffoons, Altanta supporters will be treated like gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Yes MLS but even worse here at home will be the optics of groundshare with our game if (but hopefully when) the CPL actually partners with CFL. Great for more Canadian footy but a lot of people won't understand how good we had it with our stadium before groundshare.
    Are all the CPL teams going to be connected to and/or run by CFL teams? Certain irony in that if that's the case.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are all the CPL teams going to be connected to and/or run by CFL teams? Certain irony in that if that's the case.
    Here. Certain irony here in Toronto. Most of the rest of the country doesn't see any conflict or antagonism between sports.

But there is no confirmation as yet of how many would be connected or how close that connection would be. It's all speculation and planning stages still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here. Certain irony here in Toronto. Most of the rest of the country doesn't see any conflict or antagonism between sports.

But there is no confirmation as yet of how many would be connected or how close that connection would be. It's all speculation and planning stages still.
    Yeah, fair enough. It actually makes a lot of sense, but still leaves the unfortunate thing of soccer teams playing on plastic most of the place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, fair enough. It actually makes a lot of sense, but still leaves the unfortunate thing of soccer teams playing on plastic most of the place.
    Oh, come on. You're fretting far too easily. Ottawa Redblacks and Fury owner and bon vivant Jeff Hunt is a huge fan of playing on plastic. No problems there attracting fans:

Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 10-20-2016 at 04:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    BTW Arthur Blank is, like, my favorite person in sports. Period

I guarantee short of acting like complete buffoons, Altanta supporters will be treated like gold.
    Its his kids I'm worried about - guy is old and his love for soccer came with his most recent wife.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people in the hinterland hate soccer. It's the most polarizing sport out there. Mostly out of fear, fear that it will come in and disrupt the established sporting order, especially football and hockey fans.

Look at how a grass playing surface is killing the Argonauts hopes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people in the hinterland hate soccer. It's the most polarizing sport out there. Mostly out of fear, fear that it will come in and disrupt the established sporting order, especially football and hockey fans.

Look at how a grass playing surface is killing the Argonauts hopes.
    I'm sure they do hate soccer. A "lot" of them. But most don't even register it enough to hate it. That's not antagonism it's just ignorance of what else is out there and comfort with what they know.

What's with the pic above? Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure they do hate soccer. A "lot" of them. But most don't even register it enough to hate it. That's not antagonism it's just ignorance of what else is out there and comfort with what they know.

What's with the pic above? Weird.
    looks to be picture evidence of how the Redblacks and Fury owner doesn't mind playing on, ahem, plastic......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    looks to be picture evidence of how the Redblacks and Fury owner doesn't mind playing on, ahem, plastic......
    Oh man.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I thought it would be reassuring to put a face onto this issue. And what a happy face that is. Not only do his football and soccer teams draw well playing on plastic, Jeff is one of the men behind that proposed Trans-Canada Kickball League. This nation’s Great Leap Forward in soccer.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

And a shpritz of disappearing foam.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I thought it would be reassuring to put a face onto this issue. And what a happy face that is. Not only do his football and soccer teams draw well playing on plastic, Jeff is one of the men behind that proposed Trans-Canada Kickball League. This nation’s Great Leap Forward in soccer.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

And a shpritz of disappearing foam.
    Thanks for sharing. I wish him all the luck as well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful what you wish for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 10-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.
    Well for one, you're comparing downtown Toronto to the ghetto in Hamilton. Different operating costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Ivor Wynne was used by my highschool football team, they use it for soccer too. I'm sure the field gets quite a bit of community use.