Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I think you're well aware it's the HOW each gets their phenom is what's in contention here. It's ok. We're all following a NA league but we don't all agree with how they're run.
    Very true and I would love it if the leafs were able to build a development system with the top talents from the GTA but alas we just had to hope some ping pong balls fell right so we could get a kid from phoenix.

Some people watched that for the same reason some of us will stream the 2's game tonight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed.

That being said, MLSE doing a piss poor job of promoting TFC right now. There's no advertisement to get people excited about TFC this season.
    TFC's problem is that it is part of MLSE and staff are assigned between the clubs. We don't have much in the way of dedicated assigned staff that aren't doing work for the Raptors and / or Leafs or Marlies at the same time. All you need to see is how Real Sports gutted their entire store for Raptors stuff, not a single TFC item in it as if it can't manage to walk and chew gum at the same time. They just can't manage to do the promo stuff well when the other clubs in MLSE are in play. Once Raptors are out of the playoffs and well ahead of Leafs training camp we'll see some decent promotion, although we'll already be into June at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much does MLSE need to do to promote TFC right now? There's an eight page spread in the Star on Saturday that will reach wide readership and besides, we saw elsewhere that four of the first five home games are approaching sellouts, too. If MLSE can can sellouts with little publicity then why go out and spend more? TFC is doing just fine as far as exposure and interest is concerned. We just have to be realistic where the club or the sport stands in terms of the Leafs and the Raps. But it will get there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    How much does MLSE need to do to promote TFC right now? There's an eight page spread in the Star on Saturday that will reach wide readership and besides, we saw elsewhere that four of the first five home games are approaching sellouts, too. If MLSE can can sellouts with little publicity then why go out and spend more? TFC is doing just fine as far as exposure and interest is concerned. We just have to be realistic where the club or the sport stands in terms of the Leafs and the Raps. But it will get there.
    It's also about TV ratings and increasing TFC brand in general. TFC usually don't have problems selling tickets for most of their 10 year history, but TV ratings always been piss poor to a point that people rather get up early morning on weekend to watch two English clubs play against each other than watching local soccer team playing on afternoon or evening time.

Lack of TV ads and online advisement (who reads newspaper these days?) is puzzling especially when we got league MVP on our team who happens to be one of most exciting players in the league.
    Last edited by TFC07; 05-05-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cdnorman View Post
    TFC's problem is that it is part of MLSE and staff are assigned between the clubs. We don't have much in the way of dedicated assigned staff that aren't doing work for the Raptors and / or Leafs or Marlies at the same time. All you need to see is how Real Sports gutted their entire store for Raptors stuff, not a single TFC item in it as if it can't manage to walk and chew gum at the same time. They just can't manage to do the promo stuff well when the other clubs in MLSE are in play. Once Raptors are out of the playoffs and well ahead of Leafs training camp we'll see some decent promotion, although we'll already be into June at that point.
    I am sure a billion dollar organization like MLSE can afford to hire enough staff to manage marketing for all their teams. So I don't buy that argument especially given TFC isn't exactly corporate friendly compare to Leafs and Raptors (to certain extent). TFC requires completely different approach to market their brand so MLSE needs to take it more seriously especially when they put in so much money into TFC and BMO field (a stadium they don't even own). MLSE can't afford TFC to fail at this point.
    Last edited by TFC07; 05-05-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also about TV ratings and increasing TFC brand in general. TFC usually don't have problems selling tickets for most of their 10 year history, but TV ratings always been piss poor to a point that people rather get up early morning on weekend to watch two English clubs play against each other than watching local soccer team playing on afternoon or evening time.

Lack of TV ads and online advisement (who reads newspaper these days?) is puzzling especially when we got league MVP on our team who happens to be one of most exciting players in the league.
    You are right, it is the TV viewership that is piss poor. As I and many others have mentioned a good portion of TFC fans actually attend games. Its what I love about TFC, its a old school way of supporting a team....majority of fans actually going to the matches live rather than watching on TV. We have good attendance but piss poor viewership on TV, and it is a puzzle how to fix that. Today's markets like NFL, NHL NBA, exc, there is more money in TV ratings then actual ticket sales to attend the game live. But as I said, its cool for the game to grow, but some point as a fan, just be happy to attend games, support the team and who cares if everybody else doesn't know who TFC is!
    Last edited by james; 05-05-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned in this forum topic about people I have worked with over the years from soccer haters, Euro snobs to people who do not even know who Toronto FC is, but also working with a few actual TFC fans. Just today at work (a place where a few Toronto FC fans work with me, more than my previous locations) I mentioned to a person who I don't normally talk sports with but mentioned I was going to the Toronto FC game Saturday and that is why I am off, they didn't know who they were, even better, they didn't know about the stadium despite the fact just last week I know they drove right by it on the QEW and actually drive by it on occasion to visit a friend in Downtown Toronto.....sometimes the lack of knowing of what is around you in your city is surprising, especially something that big!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure a billion dollar organization like MLSE can afford to hire enough staff to manage marketing for all their teams. So I don't buy that argument especially given TFC isn't exactly corporate friendly compare to Leafs and Raptors (to certain extent). TFC requires completely different approach to market their brand so MLSE needs to take it more seriously especially when they put in so much money into TFC and BMO field (a stadium they don't even own). MLSE can't afford TFC to fail at this point.
    No he's right. MLSE is sharing workloads between teams. But you're spot on about them missing the boat on League MVP. That won't happen every year but they make a bigger DEAL over a players purchase than his efforts and achievements. Telling...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post

League MVP and first playoff appearance is bigger than this^ yet this was pasted on every construction wall, and even bus shelters downtown.

PS- did they turn BMO 90 degrees or put the skyline int he lake for this pic??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League MVP and first playoff appearance is bigger than this^ yet this was pasted on every construction wall, and even bus shelters downtown.

PS- did they turn BMO 90 degrees or put the skyline int he lake for this pic??
    Yup, the 'geography' of that image is a little creative for sure.

And you are correct, the achievements of last season are way bigger than the potential of the season ahead of the Defoe campaign, and much more real, too for that matter. But they got burned by that campaign which may go some way towards explaining their reticence to go balls out right now.

personally, I think they aren't doing so because they are expecting the investment in the team to do the talking and create an organic buzz. We're all here widely in agreement that this is our best lineup ever and hope, nay expect a playoff appearance this season. A risky approach I think, but understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right about the financial risk, which is why it's really quite baffling they don't invest more in the personnel to support the team. My ticket representative introduced himself with a questionnaire for his 'clients' (the same goes to everyone) and it asked about my favourite moment at the ACC. I responded with my BMO moment, but was rather dismayed that they couldn't get that simple thing right. I'm not slagging MLSE as I've actually been very happy as a season seat holder with their service, but those staff are often assigned to multiple sports at the same time and that means less attention to TFC by definition.

What it means is that the focus on building the team in the community, with partners and fans is divided out and that is going to lead to a weaker brand profile as a result -- unless media will carry the day (like the Raptors) or tradition (like the Leafs). If your MLSE rep doesn't know the club inside out and the BMO experience it's probably because they're attending to Raptors, Marlies and Leafs all at the same time.

If you look at most European clubs (and I'm not being a Euro snob here) or those markets where there isn't shared ownership between sports properties like Portland, for example, it's not surprising that the level of support is so much more solid (maybe not bigger, but solid). Here, we have some die hards like us, a softer middle, and then the response that @james had with someone not even knowing TFC exists. I do think it will change, but it means winning and keeping a solid core of a team (including a coach -- which comes with winning) to be the face of that club.

We're on the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a counter-point to this, I mentioned to my son that Leicester and Man U were playing the other day and asked if he wanted to watch. He said he wasn't that interested in EPL anymore - he would rather watch MLS. I'm thinking in about 10 years we are going to see a big shift in numbers once their demographic starts being noticed by sports broadcasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw that the hosts of Breakfast Television wearing TFC scarves on air and doing some news segments from BMO.

Probably more to do with the new stadium, but it's something.

EDIT: Heard Bez was on earlier.
    Last edited by CanadaLFC; 05-06-2016 at 07:39 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    oh wow, weve made the big time, Franky Fukn Flower, OG Mofioso

next up, cover of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol..

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    oh wow, weve made the big time, Franky Fukn Flower, OG Mofioso

next up, cover of

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm laughing too

& that show is seen by lots of people.

Can't stand it myself and it is Rogers owned so its all in house promotions but...hey.....gotta take the PR where you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kind of a boring thread for one about excitement.

If Toronto FC is ever to become a big deal then the whole approach to marketing itself needs to change.

In my opinion, Toronto FC should have the most diverse and multicultural fan base in the city. They don't. The Raptors do. The Raptors are building a monopoly on the future while Toronto FC twiddles it's thumbs and seemingly gets pushed around by the Argos. Maybe they are hoping Argos fan will become TFC fans? It's ridiculous. In 2031, Stats Can projects 67% of this city to be a visible minority. 25% to be South Asian. Those people are not natural hockey, baseball, football fans. Hockey has had its peak moment. The Jays have the same crowd momentarily infused by hipsters. CFL is going the way of its fans...the grave. Yet Toronto FC fans act scared of them. The future is there if the organization has the mind to take it. Get out into the communities. Sell the diversity of soccer. We the North works because it celebrates our diversity while binding us all together. For the cost relative to other sports MLS is ideal for immigrants who come from places where soccer is already huge. Bingo. Forget Frankie Flowers, this shi@ needs some Nav Bhatia.

Its cool that there is a passionate fan base arguing over the colours of the walls but that just screams insular and parochial. There should be a mosaic of chants and fans and cultures that I just don't see. You want excitement? Be exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually very disappointed in the lack of hype in this city around the TFC home opener.

I wish I had just one relative or friend that has the same un-healthy obsession with TFC that I have. Just last night I had a conversation with my brother-in-law (who is a total hockey junky) about my daughter's new boyfriend and about how she will slowly turn him into a soccer fan. My brother-in-laws response was "I guess if he doesn't mind being bored". This was right after I had a whole conversation with him about how much I was looking forward to Saturdays game.

Thankfully I have this forum to come to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol Canada was late to the globalization locomotive. We only really opened up culturally after NAFTA, a soccer culture is where we're headed, albeit with a 20% or so annual growth rate. It's not going to happen overnight but I'm confident the next 2 years will be transformative.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robotfighter View Post

If Toronto FC is ever to become a big deal then the whole approach to marketing itself needs to change.

In my opinion, Toronto FC should have the most diverse and multicultural fan base in the city. They don't. The Raptors do. The Raptors are building a monopoly on the future while Toronto FC twiddles it's thumbs and seemingly gets pushed around by the Argos. Maybe they are hoping Argos fan will become TFC fans? It's ridiculous. In 2031, Stats Can projects 67% of this city to be a visible minority. 25% to be South Asian. Those people are not natural hockey, baseball, football fans. Hockey has had its peak moment. The Jays have the same crowd momentarily infused by hipsters. CFL is going the way of its fans...the grave. Yet Toronto FC fans act scared of them. The future is there if the organization has the mind to take it. Get out into the communities. Sell the diversity of soccer. We the North works because it celebrates our diversity while binding us all together. For the cost relative to other sports MLS is ideal for immigrants who come from places where soccer is already huge. Bingo. Forget Frankie Flowers, this shi@ needs some Nav Bhatia.

Its cool that there is a passionate fan base arguing over the colours of the walls but that just screams insular and parochial. There should be a mosaic of chants and fans and cultures that I just don't see. You want excitement? Be exciting.

Tell us more of "should be's", robot. We're all here for you.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-06-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem is most multicultural groups and new canadians come from a futbol background, they honestly think MLS is similar level to that CSL league. Last thing they want to watch is MLS, when they get EPL and champions league on all the time. They laugh every time i bring up MLS.

If the stadium is full and all the games are on TV, i'm pretty satisfied with that. After thats is done, i don't really care who else is a fan.
    Last edited by Onyx; 05-06-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    As a counter-point to this, I mentioned to my son that Leicester and Man U were playing the other day and asked if he wanted to watch. He said he wasn't that interested in EPL anymore - he would rather watch MLS. I'm thinking in about 10 years we are going to see a big shift in numbers once their demographic starts being noticed by sports broadcasters.
    Adding to this - I only really started watching soccer when TFC came to town and I watch far more MLS soccer than I do EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    problem is most multicultural groups and new canadians come from a futbol background, they honestly think MLS is similar level to that CSL league. Last thing they want to watch is MLS, when they get EPL and champions league on all the time. They laugh every time i bring up MLS.

If the stadium is full and all the games are on TV, i'm pretty satisfied with that. After thats is done, i don't really care who else is a fan.
    Then we honestly show them otherwise.

Most immigrants are coming from Asia, not Europe. Their "Super Leagues" are hardly comparable to MLS. True that there are more association football fans in Toronto than MLS fans but that's a positive not a negative. Better than them all thinking it's a "sissy" sport full of divers or played by girls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell us more of "should be's", robot. We're all here for you.
    Who is "we're"? Maybe that's the problem? Maybe less you against them. More inclusion. An entire city of all different peoples rather than just the "we're"s. New guy just trying to add his own two cents. Not looking for a Gladiator brawl but I guess ready if you got a couiple swords, some beer, and some armor...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is "we're"? Maybe that's the problem? Maybe less you against them. More inclusion. An entire city of all different peoples rather than just the "we're"s. New guy just trying to add his own two cents. Not looking for a Gladiator brawl but I guess ready if you got a couiple swords, some beer, and some armor...
    My bad. It's an old movie now...

You address us, we speak. You wish to be a part of it - Welcome, robot. Let us all be excited and if we excite, so much the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most immigrants are coming from Asia, not Europe. Their "Super Leagues" are hardly comparable to MLS. True that there are more association football fans in Toronto than MLS fans but that's a positive not a negative. Better than them all thinking it's a "sissy" sport full of divers or played by girls.
    lol, relax man. As another visible minority, I think I might be able to provide a unique perspective. TFC definitely has a multicultural composition if one were to actually sit in the stands and look around, it's pretty diverse and obvious. The thing is that the diverse mix is a little different to the Raptors Jurassic Park crowd (which by the way are an extreme example). In the early days of TFC a lot more people from Asia came out but many stopped being engaged around the same time the franchise was going through its dysfunctional phase, they're now starting to come back. You see, Asian cultures don't have the same depth of soccer tradition as some of the other communities so it will take more to get them involved and they're likely more fickle with an immature product. Many Portuguese/English/Italian supporters are already in the support them no matter what mentality so that fan base is "stickier" right now. This will change with time as more people expose themselves to soccer culture. Basketball is quite unique in that most immigrant-gateway neighbourhoods in this city have basketball nets everywhere including in pretty much every single school. Give it time I say, in the meantime the TFC fanbase is diverse and fun, enjoy it for what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

certainly not my opinion, but just what I've heard others give as reason for the potential to not match the actual interest in TFC......the team tried too hard in the initial stages to appeal an English/PL type fan through players, management, etc. and it turned off many at first.....once they're turned off at the start its even harder to get them interested later......now, of course perception does not always equal reality, but its something I've heard way more than once as a reason to not be interested....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said.

Just imagine if Raptors crowd dealt with Argos situation how different things would have been. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah but they all follow man u, chelsea, barca and real