Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Defoe could be worth a lot more then 11 million if he keeps Sunderland in the BPL. Altidore is a no brainer for us with his current age and being a north American striker. I would have preferred Cubo Torres, but Altidore's physical dominance will allow him to succeed in this league. Similar striker to Gilberto so it's not a match made in heaven but if we get Giovinco then oh... my.... god... look out. If we add 1 playmaking winger and 1 CB I call this offseason a success. GIO is just exceeding expectations and putting us on a LA Galaxy level platform. The Galaxy of the east they would call us.

not at 32 with the injury history he's had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Altidore for Defoe straight up? There is no planet I'm aware of in which that is a good deal. Players want out all the time. Doesn't mean you hold out for nothing for them.
    Well, we haven't literally got nothing - we have Altidore.

I guess the question is what is the value of Defoe at 32 compared to Altidore at 25? "Historically" speaking, Defoe is worth more (scored more goals, had a better international career etc) - but at age 32, the value of the players have to be fairly equal. Defoe could only have a season or so left in his legs. Altidore has at least 6 or 7 more left.

The other part of the equation is what would the other teams interested in Defoe have offered? Yes, money possibly - but then what percentage of that money would TFC actually get, and what portion of that would go towards our cap?

A player swap may actually be the best we could have got out of this deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    not at 32 with the injury history he's had.
    The value comes from keeping them in the EPL. The TV money to be had vs what would be got in the Championship. 32 and injured or not, if he has an impact in keeping them up, then it's money well spent no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    The value comes from keeping them in the EPL. The TV money to be had vs what would be got in the Championship. 32 and injured or not, if he has an impact in keeping them up, then it's money well spent no doubt.
    Defoe's not that good, and will likely get injured. he had 3 goals in his last 33 league games for a much better tottenham team. that's an awful sunderland team. There going down and going down hard with that 80 thousand pounds a week contract.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-15-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe's not that good, and will likely get injured. he had 3 goals in his last 33 league games for a much better tottenham team. that's an awful sunderland team. There going down and going down hard with that 80 thousand pounds a week contract.
    Why do you keep saying this? You know it's not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you keep saying this? You know it's not true.

it is true. I believe you countered by saying he had 7 in 5 over that period against Europa league teams, to which I raised the point that most of those teams would struggle to be in the top half of the championship.

if you don't believe me you can see for yourself: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...&season_id=143

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is true. I believe you countered by saying he had 7 in 5 over that period against Europa league teams, to which I raised the point that most of those teams would struggle to be in the top half of the championship.

if you don't believe me you can see for yourself: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...&season_id=143
    Yeah 7 goals in Europa. That counts. In EPL he played 48 games in the 2012-14 seasons (and the majority of the 2013-14 as a sub, so you should factor minutes in) and scored 12 goals. That's a 1 in 4 strike rate. See below:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/p.../jermain-defoe
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is in Toronto for his physical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dzedic Catic looks like such a natural pro, good movement and finishing. Shame we have so many forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It shows the skill/luck needed in scouting. At same time Sunderland picked up Altidore from Eredivise, Swansea got Wilifred Bony from same league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I like playing with a traditional CF/Targetman, Jozy can be that. I would like to see Gilberto play along him, or behind him as the 10 to Jozy's 9.

I think it would be a good combo in this league, and I think it would give the team fulcrum for the attack.

I still think that at times we never looked better then with Dichio, because he gave that point of reference in attack that Jozy could be.

Hopefully Bradely could be the same for when we do not have the ball.
    If Giovinco rumors are true, how would he do playing in behind a target man like Jozy? From the limited bit I know, he's a threat from deep, which might work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on last years EPL prize money, staying in the EPL is worth a minimum of Ģ67.3m (that is 17th place prize money + TV revenue). Sunderland made Ģ73.1m from 14th last year. That is an annual loss, and it's not a given that they are going to come right back up - getting out of the Championship is tough. So it could be losing that kind of revenue for years.

Now look at Sunderland - they have scored 18 goals this year - second worst in the league. Yes, there is a team (and clueless manager problem), but without scoring more - they are going down. Guaranteed. In Defoe they have a quality poacher, and just as important - a highly experienced player. Is he going to turn the team around on his own, no. Is he going to score a few goals and pick a few extra points while there - absolutely. And those few extra points could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Source for prize money.
    http://www.tsmplug.com/football/prem...e-prize-money/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Sunderland are picking up a lot of clean sheets, so their real problem is putting balls in the net. If they can continue not conceding they could stay up even without a lot of goals.
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-15-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^And literally, converting one of those clean sheets from a 0-0 to a 1-0 could be enough of a margin to stay up. And Defoe is the kind of player that can score out of nowhere on a half chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    ^^And literally, converting one of those clean sheets from a 0-0 to a 1-0 could be enough of a margin to stay up. And Defoe is the kind of player that can score out of nowhere on a half chance.
    For sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I haven't actually seen mentioned much is how picking up Findley plays into all this.

At first glance it seems a little odd we got him, and it seems as though he's part of our plans so far. We have Altidore, Gilberto, Dike, Moore, Hamilton, and now Findley as candidates for playing time up front.

I wonder where the Altidore move ranks on the Defoe-to-Bradley scale of planning. If Sunderland's interest in a swap was sudden, Findley may have been a depth move that Bez thought he was going to need before Altidore became available. But if Altidore was always on the cards, the move does still seem a little curious, however Bez may have always been planning to pay down Findley's contract with some of the allocation from the Defoe sale.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    One thing I haven't actually seen mentioned much is how picking up Findley plays into all this.

At first glance it seems a little odd we got him, and it seems as though he's part of our plans so far. We have Altidore, Gilberto, Dike, Moore, Hamilton, and now Findley as candidates for playing time up front.

I wonder where the Altidore move ranks on the Defoe-to-Bradley scale of planning. If Sunderland's interest in a swap was sudden, Findley may have been a depth move that Bez thought he was going to need before Altidore became available. But if Altidore was always on the cards, the move does still seem a little curious, however Bez may have always been planning to pay down Findley's contract with some of the allocation from the Defoe sale.
    I figure Hamilton is going to spend the year at USL club. That leaves 5 strikers. If TFC plays 2 at top, that's plenty to go around, esp with injuries and int call ups
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm stealing this Alitdore joke from reddit

>Surprised he didn't miss the flight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://bit.ly/1AVq5C1

Jozy in da houzeeee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Vanney and Fraser both know him really well from RSL, so it's not that surprising. He got picked up in England because he's a good pro; he's mostly developed into a fast wide forward as he's aged but he's never been a great goalscorer. Good bench depth, good leadership, good for a start here and there. AS noted, we have buttloads of allocation, so we're probably shaving a big chunk off his deal with it.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    http://bit.ly/1AVq5C1

Jozy in da houzeeee.

"he isn’t officially a Toronto FC just yet"

Is that what we call people who play for TFC?
    I question the grammar in that sentence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Sunderland are picking up a lot of clean sheets, so their real problem is putting balls in the net. If they can continue not conceding they could stay up even without a lot of goals.
    but are they doing that by sitting in their own end and not committing to go forward? If so, their defensive capabilities are overstated.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    "he isn’t officially a Toronto FC just yet"

Is that what we call people who play for TFC?
    I question the grammar in that sentence.
    an FC. He isn't an FC yet. What that stands for we'll never say...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    an FC. He isn't an FC yet. What that stands for we'll never say...
    Was Collin Samuel a FC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Was Collin Samuel a FC?
    After he ate the pies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been thinking about this from Altidore's POV: I suspect we're going to find out that Altidore got PAID here ($4-5M). Same as Bradley. I don't really know why else he'd come.

If so, wildly overpaying Jozy would turn out to be the way TFC got off the hook on Defoe. Especially clever bit of business by Altidore's agent, to take advantage of the situation and make hay. But the whole thing turns on Sunderland's apparent willingness to take on Defoe's whole deal. Amazing.

Final shoe hasn't dropped yet (Impact/allocation piece). That part has been VERY quiet.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Been thinking about this from Altidore's POV: I suspect we're going to find out that Altidore got PAID here ($4-5M). Same as Bradley. I don't really know why else he'd come.

If so, wildly overpaying Jozy would turn out to be the way TFC got off the hook on Defoe. Especially clever bit of business by Altidore's agent, to take advantage of the situation and make hay. But the whole thing turns on Sunderland's apparent willingness to take on Defoe's whole deal. Amazing.

Final shoe hasn't dropped yet (Impact/allocation piece). That part has been VERY quiet.
    Also probably doesn't hurt that Bradley offered his input and lobbied for Altidore.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Offside goal View Post
    Also probably doesn't hurt that Bradley offered his input and lobbied for Altidore.....
    Agree.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Garber likes this one bit.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-jozy-altidore

I don't understand all the pussy-footing around on his part. I'm assuming he's desperately trying to figure out some way to land him somewhere else and refuses to accept reality. I liked the comment that Wikipedia is 16 hours ahead of Garber.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^No. He's pussy-footing because the deal isn't done, because the allocation piece isn't done. Montreal or San Jose could be (I expect will be) really difficult about this.