Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't think that happens. The guy plays for Galatasaray. I don't think the turkish league is any better than MLS
    Nonsense. I want MLS to get better but I think people buy far too much into what the league says. MLS is still pretty shit in comparison to the lower Euro leagues.

We have some decent players here, but still far too many shit players (when comparing to other leagues) across every team. Looking at our own roster, guys like Bekker, Bloom, Warner for example. Serviceable MLS players...only because MLS offers equals in competition. It's really not so much their skill as it is their football IQ I think. Which is why I believe when guys like Defoe come to MLS, they get frustrated not so much with their teammates skill, but that they just don't see the game the same. They don't see the runs, the passes, etc.

This is the key difference between MLS and these leagues.

As for Gerrard and Sneijder, sure why not. Osorio would be a huge benefactor to what he could learn from these guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love the plethora of people who say no thanks to either. Because of what? Money?

Let me tell you something, if we start winning with Stevie G or we start winning with Jeff Cunningham Jr., either will be enough to jack up the price of tickets. So I don't really care what they pay or who is "worth it". When it comes to DPs "worth it" means nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guffaw.

This cannot be serious. Nobody here, least of all lame duck Leiweke, has the ability to deliver this. Plus no player of the stature of these guys is coming into a situation where they don't know who the boss will be.

This highlights the mistake Bogers is making in not canning Leiweke right away.

Leiweke is just doing favors for the agent for Gerrard and Sneijder, while he can.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-06-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Gotta love the plethora of people who say no thanks to either. Because of what? Money?

Let me tell you something, if we start winning with Stevie G or we start winning with Jeff Cunningham Jr., either will be enough to jack up the price of tickets. So I don't really care what they pay or who is "worth it". When it comes to DPs "worth it" means nothing.
    No thanks to Stevie G as he's old, a walking injury waiting to happen, and well he's not what we need at all.

Would rather bring in a true #10 between 24-27.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    No thanks to Stevie G as he's old, a walking injury waiting to happen, and well he's not what we need at all.

Would rather bring in a true #10 between 24-27.
    and that's fair. If you don't think hes still is up to par, okay.

its the cost argument that's off the rails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry came over at 33, Stevie G is 34 and seems a character guy. If he was brought in, took a leadership role and brought some stability to the team and set the tone for the organization going forward it might be a good investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every failed big money DP is another step towards MLSE closing the bank account on this team. That's my cost argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't think that happens. The guy plays for Galatasaray. I don't think the turkish league is any better than MLS
    This is a joke, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    my point was if you think Henry and his bonehead card collecting ways are worth keeping around, Collin isn't as bad as Henry in that regard
    But we're not bringing in Colin to be Doniel Henry or a better version of him. We want a top notch defender, period. And at the money he'd command it's a totally different equation than keeping around Henry.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Not surprised about Gerrard (he's a lot more marketable than Defoe)

Sneijder is a surprise for me to read that TFC might consider signing him.

These are signings TFC has to make if they want to sell out 30K seats next year.
    Yes. Probably the signings they have to make if they want to sell tickets. And there is the injury excuse speech they have ready to play so that saves some prep time for press conferences.

Clearly not the signings they have to make if they want to build a long term championship team. It never really is about that is it ?

It would be such a wasted opportunity. You have 2 DPs now 26 and 24 (unless of course he has already been sold). You have multiple draft picks. Think of the core they could walk into the season with? A core that could be together for years. We all talk about stability. Here's the opportunity. It's knocking.
    Last edited by Pookie; 11-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins source is this very thread.

Both names were mentioned a few days ago.

He's trolling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rollins source is this very thread.

Both names were mentioned a few days ago.

He's trolling.
    If he's trolling he's doing a good job. NBCSN had now picked up on this story

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If he's trolling he's doing a good job. NBCSN had now picked up on this story
    Is it season ticket renewal time yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understood people that complain about how much we spent. Like after we sell Defoe we should be getting back almost all of the original investment. That's football, sometimes you make a good deal in the transfer market sometimes it comes back to bite you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Never understood people that complain about how much we spent. Like after we sell Defoe we should be getting back almost all of the original investment. That's football, sometimes you make a good deal in the transfer market sometimes it comes back to bite you.
    We paid 2x what Liverpool did for Lambert. I very much doubt Defoe moves without TFC taking a huge bath.

Leiweke's public statements on the matter are untruthful, but it's not a reflection of his character - he has to do this, it's about face for him, for MLSE, for the league.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-07-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard this rumour yesterday and didn't find much to it through my network.

However, I guess stranger things have happened.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We paid 2x what Liverpool did for Lambert. I very much doubt Defoe moves without TFC taking a huge bath.
    Summer offer was $11M and we paid $8M. We should have done that then. Who knows in January but knowing the Jan window economics and QPR's typical overspending ways, I think that original investment will at least come back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Summer offer was $11M and we paid $8M. We should have done that then. Who knows in January but knowing the Jan window economics and QPR's typical overspending ways, I think that original investment will at least come back.
    I think that is bunkum. I think QPR were willing to take his contract off our hands if we ate the transfer. I think that negotiation is what was really going on that last day of the window (there was a lot of loan discussion as well), and I am not the only one who thinks that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Leiweke's public statements on the matter are untruthful, but it's not a reflection of his character - he has to do this, it's about face for him, for MLSE, for the league.
    Yet as said here the reported fee last transfer window was almost exactly what we paid for him. Now if we can get that same amount in January is yet to be seen.

Tims statements however "untruthful" are himprotecting this club. I don't know of any owner, manager ect that would come out and shit all over a move they made while the player is under contract to the club still.

Even if we end up losing a few million of the transfer fee so be it. MLSE has deep pockets that they could take the hit this time. Just makes the next move to a DP in that calibre that much more important to get it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Henry came over at 33, Stevie G is 34 and seems a character guy. If he was brought in, took a leadership role and brought some stability to the team and set the tone for the organization going forward it might be a good investment.

G-unit to replace Dero .....as non DP. sure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to sell tickets. If it's not Gerrard and Wes, it's comparable names.

Say what you will about who we get, I'm willing to bet there isn't an offensive minded 30+ international we don't have on the short list.

Everyone should get used to the idea that we are not the Oakland A's. We need to bring big names in.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TFC can approach whomever they like. They could seriously go and speak with Messi. The reality is they will never get that calibre of player.
    I can believe that TFC would try and go after Sneijder, but there is no chance in hell they would get him.

If anything, they are just putting out stories to see what sort of interest comes back.
    With this teams track record, the only player that will come knocking is Mista looking to make a comeback.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Nonsense. I want MLS to get better but I think people buy far too much into what the league says. MLS is still pretty shit in comparison to the lower Euro leagues.

We have some decent players here, but still far too many shit players (when comparing to other leagues) across every team.
    Having lived in France, I'd say that while the level is higher in France, it's not extremely so. There is more evenness in quality (you don't have the Bloom types), and the technical side is higher (even in the younger players), but ligue 1 (like MLS) is a pretty gritty league. It is not so much higher that I would call MLS "shit" by comparison. I'd also say that ligue 2 is behind MLS these days.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Katie Hind@katiehind · Nov 5 I spoke to Jermain Defoe about coming to @QPRFC. He said we are a "joke" and it would take Dynamo to work his magic for us to have success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Katie Hind@katiehind · Nov 5 I spoke to Jermain Defoe about coming to @QPRFC. He said we are a "joke" and it would take Dynamo to work his magic for us to have success.
    Ha! That's funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Katie Hind@katiehind 21h21 hours ago
    @Goddardinho @QPRFC Yes, he was. He was very nasty about us. I was trying to encourage him to come to us and then he said that

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Say what you will about who we get, I'm willing to bet there isn't an offensive minded 30+ international we don't have on the short list.

Everyone should get used to the idea that we are not the Oakland A's. We need to bring big names in.
    Why?

It's a revenue shared league and the real prize is the share of ownership within MLS/SUM . MLSE only keeps half it's ticket revenue for MLS games. The big money is in Friendlies where teams keep 100% of proceeds. As long as MLSE has access to a soccer stadium to book events and shares in TV rights for USA/Mexico NT games through SUM, it's fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

People here need to accept what TFC is now. Also given salary cap is going to increase and potentially have another DP slot means bigger clubs like TFC can spend their way to win trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    TFC can approach whomever they like. They could seriously go and speak with Messi. The reality is they will never get that calibre of player.
    I can believe that TFC would try and go after Sneijder, but there is no chance in hell they would get him.

If anything, they are just putting out stories to see what sort of interest comes back.
    With this teams track record, the only player that will come knocking is Mista looking to make a comeback.
    Based on what? Sneijder is all about money not glory.

Gerrard makes sense because he probably looking for last big pay cheque (which he isn't going to get in Europe) before hanging his boots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Why?

It's a revenue shared league and the real prize is the share of ownership within MLS/SUM . MLSE only keeps half it's ticket revenue for MLS games. The big money is in Friendlies where teams keep 100% of proceeds. As long as MLSE has access to a soccer stadium to book events and shares in TV rights for USA/Mexico NT games through SUM, it's fine.

If that's the case, then why do we have clubs like L.A., Seattle and newer teams (NYCFC and Orlando) spending big on players?

Reality is that MLS is changing where we are going to have and have not teams because teams have freedom to buy "world class" players.

Given TFC history, I highly doubt they will stop spending money (TFC always had DP's).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

Given TFC history, I highly doubt they will stop spending money (TFC always had DP's).
    Uh, wern't people screaming about the lack of a DP for a long time and wondering when this team would finally bite the financial bullet?