Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1593
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen was not going to get us into the playoffs.

Neither is Vanney, unless we suddenly get a defence.

But suggestions that what we saw today is how Vanney wants us to play are unrealistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Often times a new boss comes in and it lifts the whole club right away, think Pulis at Palace last season, players raise their game. We haven't seen that yet.The players just seem kind of lost right now. Even Di Canio lifted Sunderland initially during his reign.Maybe since Vanney came from within, he doesn't carry that lift or buzz since everyine already knew him. In fairness it is only 2 games, but that today was Marineresque.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is coming to NYC on October 11 to support the Reds, we shall be a voice heard.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I thought he played well. There's a reason Vanney said he "respects the Canadian player" at the presser; right or wrong, people perceive that Nelsen didn't because he only played Henry.

To a degree, I think they're right. In backup roles, I think DeRo, Morgan and Bekker have something to offer. Rare that we saw them used, and rare that we were in a position of either necessity or comfort to do so. So I'm not sure if it's a legit issue or just another distraction.
    Nelsen was right not to start these Canadians.

Dero has value - he showed some quality today, but he is still trying to play his old game. Still hasn't learned to adapt to his age/lack of pace. And it showed. He got into good spots with the ball - but then...nothing. Not a shot on net, not a proper pass to another team mate.

Morgan was on the bench for a reason. He's useless. Time to give up on that project.

Bekker is too soft. He needs to bulk up and toughen up. Maybe in 2-3 years he can be a starter. For now - off the bench or down to the hammers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You aren't being fair. And you should have showed up on time.
    Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Bekker is too soft. He needs to bulk up and toughen up. Maybe in 2-3 years he can be a starter. For now - off the bench or down to the hammers.
    Bekker was a huge asset in the second half today. No conclusions yet, but I have a hard time believing someone who has as much talent as that doesn't have any place in the lineup, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Bekker needs is to go out on loan over the winter to a place like Huddersfield or Bradford in the lower leagues of English football to toughen up a bit where football is the end all.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-07-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Bekker was a huge asset in the second half today. No conclusions yet, but I have a hard time believing someone who has as much talent as that doesn't have any place in the lineup, ever.
    People would be way less hard on him if he got a hair cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Watch the video after the game.
    Vanney correctly points out that this team was set up by Nelsen to play slowly, using zones to defend and had no way to adjust if the counter wasn't there.

That's exactly how we played today. And what everyone complains about, all season. No movement off the ball.

4 days of practice after the manager most of these guys were recruited by was fired along with the whole coaching staff, this is not going to change for today unless this group is really self aware. They are not.

If we play like this next week, then we will know either the coaches can't coach or the players won't listen.
    If you are right - and I think you are - there is no way Nelsen should have been fired when he was. Bad for the team, unfair to him, unfair to Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Lol.
    We're good. Sorry about Nor Witch, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nelsen was not going to get us into the playoffs.

Neither is Vanney, unless we suddenly get a defence.
    And an offence. We have neither.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen had a better chance than Venney but shit happens. The only thing keeping us in it is the weak Eastern conference. If we can manage to scrape together a small win streak we could be in the playoffs.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Ha, there was a reason he wasn't playing and we saw it again today.
    Did you watch the same game as the rest of us? DeRo was one of the better players in red on the pitch today. I know his best days are behind him, but compared to the rest of the squad, he had a pretty good game.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-07-2014 at 03:40 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just at a TIFF event. Oduro and Moore were there earlier in the evening. Later at night I was upstairs and I see this absolutely beautiful woman walk by. Turns out I recognize her boyfriend, its Gilberto. Also, in tow right behind Gilberto is Nelsen. Our ex-coach is out on the town with the team.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    May sound trivial but If we ever sign a dp for the same kind of money again, let's make sure the guy is not only a great player but is willing to be the face of the franchise. Especially when you market things as a bloody big deal. in my opinion Defoe never took to that role. When he was interviewed I always got the sense he did not want to do it or he was doing everyone a favour by merely being interviewed.
    This. I mean, if you wave a couple million dollars in front on anyone's face they'll probably say anything to be your friend, but someone really should have done their homework here and maybe some of the blame falls on the shoulders of the two Tims. It just doesn't sit well with me that a player given the contract that Defoe got and positioned as the most public face of Toronto FC is gonna want to move back to England after less than a year with absolutely no prior warning signs or indications made.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

The best way to handle this from a PR perspective is for the rehab to be longer than anyone thought. For Defoe to tweet out… from the comfort of England… that he is pulling for the boys to make the playoffs and maybe attend the odd game here and there. For him to rehab, stay healthy and get ink to paper as quickly into January as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Jermain Defoe@IAmJermainDefoe 1m
    Big game for boys tonight good luck can't wait to be back out there scoring #goals

Seems weird given all the crap surrounding that he won't play for us again this season.
    Not weird. Just the flow of events unfortunately.

I wrote my post a few days before this tweet. It eases the public pressure to allow all sides to work out a deal. Backing people into corners rarely works. I wonder if I can get a consulting fee?
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-07-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I was just at a TIFF event. Oduro and Moore were there earlier in the evening. Later at night I was upstairs and I see this absolutely beautiful woman walk by. Turns out I recognize her boyfriend, its Gilberto. Also, in tow right behind Gilberto is Nelsen. Our ex-coach is out on the town with the team.
    That's oddly concerning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everything about this club is odd..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are right - and I think you are - there is no way Nelsen should have been fired when he was. ....

Um....what part of "no way to adjust" do you not understand?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Off the bench then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Defoe will play (I have my doubts) I would welcome him with open arms.

I will always give a player the benefit of the doubt. There is a locker room to police what players do.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also had plenty of opportunity in the first part of the season...depth player who needs to grow at best at the minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's oddly concerning.
    Has a sports marketing business..networking is his middle name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe not here during Tiff? Sucks..could've seen all the partying Toronto is capable of

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have no idea what's really going on with Dafoe. What if the leaks/media have wrong? What if did he wanted to leave and then he has a change of heart and wants to stay? What if? What matters to me is that we get our ability to score goals back. With or without Dafoe, at this point in the season, I'll take either scenario. If he goes, this league, and this team in particular, is going to have a small public relations problem with far reaching consequences, IMO.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's oddly concerning.

Nothing wrong with that imo. Players and coaches can be friends outside of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off the bench then
    I don't mind that. There are certainly a lot of situations where Kyle Bekker does not work. But when already down 2-0 and with Warner being defensively out of position frequently? Not much to lose by throwing him in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen was right not to start these Canadians.

Dero has value - he showed some quality today, but he is still trying to play his old game. Still hasn't learned to adapt to his age/lack of pace. And it showed. He got into good spots with the ball - but then...nothing. Not a shot on net, not a proper pass to another team mate.

Morgan was on the bench for a reason. He's useless. Time to give up on that project.

Read the post again. I quite specifically said they were good backups, not starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they were reminiscing about the good old days when we were sitting comfortably in 4th place with Nelsen versus the 7th place position we are now in. Those were the good old days my friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're good. Sorry about Nor Witch, though.
    My first inclination was to be pissed at that comment, especially because of the unexpected lengths I had to go to to make it 10 minutes late. But then I realized you were right. I hate being late to games.