Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So was DeRo... 2 years ago
    You didn't just compare DeRo to Defoe lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    In the MLS, no age is too old. Defoe's 32 and he's the best striker in the league.
    Is he? I mean statistically? Several forwards have more goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm pretty sure Hume would be a step up on DeRo, I think there are better ways to spend our salary cap room right now then another forward.

Midfield comes to mind....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Defoe's only played 6 games whereas most of the leaders have played around 10-12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Yes, I can't think of a league outside of MLS that is single entity. Not really sure how that counts as 'most NA leagues'.
    Enough with this nonsense. Common. You all know by North American leagues that I am referring to Canada and the US,,,, and so think a little I DID NOT MEAN SOCCER LEAGUES, JUST SPORTS LEAGUES. I was referring to NA sports as a whole, but you assume I dont know what I am talking about. I was saying that leagues with similar, single entity, structure to MLS like NHL NBA NFL all have no movement clauses despite them being single entity. So, that MLS can have and DOES have the same.

Enough with assuming everyone on here is an idiot, when realistically its your simple mind who can't follow a simple thread.
    Last edited by mcolvy; 05-31-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Made it more appropriate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Enough with this nonsense. Common. You all know by North American leagues that I am referring to Canada and the US,,,, and so think a little I DID NOT MEAN SOCCER LEAGUES, JUST SPORTS LEAGUES. I was referring to NA sports as a whole, but you assume I dont know what I am talking about. I was saying that leagues with similar, single entity, structure to MLS like NHL NBA NFL all have no movement clauses despite them being single entity. So, that MLS can have and DOES have the same.

Enough with assuming everyone on here is an idiot, when realistically its your simple mind who can't follow a simple thread.
    but none of leagues (NHL, NFL , MLB, NBA) are similar or are they single entity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but none of leagues (NHL, NFL , MLB, NBA) are similar or are they single entity.
    Profit sharing, salary caps, lockouts from negotiations between the leagues and PA. These are structures built from the center and with all teams controlled by the central league. You think an EPL team has the power to vote out an owner (NBA style?). You no exactly what I mean.
    Regardless, there are no movement clauses already in MLS. so I dont understand what your babling about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NBA, NHL, etc ARE single-entity structures. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    That's a great question for the scouts...if we have scouts.
    remember we have Danny Califf so no fear! o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NBA, NHL, etc ARE single-entity structures. Period.

No they are not.

This except from the first link sums it up best,
    "The “Big 4″ leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL) are all structured as multiple entities. Each team is an independent entity from the other teams in the league. Essentially, they are all in competition with one another for players, sponsors, partnerships, and the like. Thus, it is for this very reason that those 3 leagues have spent millions of dollars over many decades arguing for exemptions from antitrust, and largely to no avail. And, therefore, it is for this very reason that the NFL, along with the other Big 4, really wishes it was the MLS."

http://sportslegaleagle.wordpress.co...to-be-the-mls/
    https://laworgs.depaul.edu/journals/...%20leagues.pdf
    http://jurist.org/paperchase/2010/05...t-purposes.php
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5214509
    http://www.worldhoopstats.com/news/1...ess-works.html
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...lan%20LLC&sc=0
    http://deadspin.com/5939623/where-wo...league-in-2005

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. MLS is clearly the only single entity league in North America

2. MLS standard player contracts already allow for no trade clauses. The vast majority of players have no bargaining power to get them. Typically you would see a DP or other player of stature be able to negotiate one with the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most NA leagues claim to be single entities. That is how they get around anti trust laws when they add rules for players staying on one team after their contracts are done or when the NHL stops another competing team coming to the Toronto area.

There have been many court cases where the leagues have stated they are single entities.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...rts-Cases.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a glaring mistake was made when we brought in Bradley, as no one assumed him to take on a larger offensive role. The team right off the bat put him with an offensive, attacking midfielder in Osorio, when really the need for Laba was actually the right call.

They are now shuffling to change this error, but I feel Bez and Nelsen should get heat for this very bad judgement call. And Warner is not the solution...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a glaring mistake was made when we brought in Bradley, as no one assumed him to take on a larger offensive role. The team right off the bat put him with an offensive, attacking midfielder in Osorio, when really the need for Laba was actually the right call.

They are now shuffling to change this error, but I feel Bez and Nelsen should get heat for this very bad judgement call. And Warner is not the solution...
    Is that sarcasm? Bradley was a mistake?
    Id take Bradley, and build the midfield around him; rather than have Laba and add mediocre AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    As a DeRo replacement, why not Hume? As a replacement for Gilberto, uhhhh...
    good point . how about hume for wiedman ...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how much space in the squad are there for international players and how many of them would come to Toronto on reasonable wages?
    true and we need back-up......it's a long season , esp if we lost any of our strikers......and feel with his holding up of the ball he offers more than weidman...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, getting past the single entity semantics... The original post, waaay back at the start of this, more or less said you couldn't have non-movement clauses because of single entity.

That's just entirely untrue. As it stands, certain MLS players have those clauses in their contracts, and there is nothing that stops players from arguing for more restrictions / bargaining rights in the next round of CBA negotiations.

This is one of those things where MLS wants to pretend it's on an island but it isn't. These non-standard measures hurt their ability to sign talent and are taken into consideration by agents.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is that sarcasm? Bradley was a mistake?
    Id take Bradley, and build the midfield around him; rather than have Laba and add mediocre AM.
    I agree that is what we do, but I don't think they have been successful at that yet. (This is my drum right now and I'm going to beat it )

IMHO, there was a mistake made in not knowing how Bradley was going to play and a couple of assumptions about Osorio and Laba that did not pan out which have made the building of the midfield around Bradley less then successful.

Nelsen and Bez and TL didn't know what type of player Bradley was going to be when he played here. Nelsen said it a number of times, "We are getting used to how Bradley plays and what he does." They seemed to think he'd be a deep lying playmaker. That's what they saw when he played for the USMNT and for Roma. If people recall, in the friendlies before the season started, there was talk of the defence getting used to Bradley and to a lesser extent Osorio going back to get the ball from the CD's.

Well, it turns out, he's more a box to end line type of guy. He's been hampered by not having somebody good enough behind his back who would be covering. Due to Bradley being away for two weeks of injuries, none of this was really finally figured out until maybe the New England home loss (Game 7). (When did we get Warner? 2 weeks later.)

Bez and Nelsen also seemed to think that we could somehow keep Laba - not sure what it was, but the rush at the end before they had to name the team indicates to me that a solution that was being worked on to keep him fell through.

So, they go to plan B for a midfield guy to partner Bradley - Osorio.

The midfielder who did pretty good last season. Rightfully so, they think that Osorio would continue his development pace. This has not happened. Injury maybe, sophomore jinx maybe, who knows - but Osorio is not as effective as he was last season. Again, when did we really know this? Probably about the time of the New England game.

Others stated it before this season started - a good MLS team needs 1 really good playmaker, and 4-5 domestics who can fit in around that guy, either as partners or when he's not on the pitch.

At the beginning of training camp, we had Bradley, Laba & Osorio who were good MLS quality CM's. Still needed 2 others to fit in.

Laba is gone.
    Osorio has regressed to the point where Nelsen has stated he may not play much at CM anymore.
    Bekker has shown some spark, in the right situations. But he's not a starter and doesn't fit well with Bradley against most MLS teams.
    Orr has fit but is not a long term solution as he is needed to fit into other areas.
    DeRo actually played a decent AM yesterday when he came in, but that's no long term solution.

So, we need, IMHO, 2 more CM's to make this work, preferably with more defensive mindset to partner Bradley and Bekker.

Warner might do the job, and was flagged a couple of weeks ago as the probable starting partner to Bradley. We'll see.

We still need another decent MLS domestic CM, with a defensive mindset.

And this all develops because

a) Nelsen and Bez didn't know what they were getting in Bradley
    b) They thought they could keep Laba
    c) Osorio has not continued like they thought he would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    In the MLS, no age is too old. Defoe's 32 and he's the best striker in the league.
    and Plata has the same goals as Defoe with 4 less minutes played, but we all know the saying 'show me a great midfield and ill show you a great striker.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said Og. I'm looking out for a number of midfield signings in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that Oso is just in a funk.. I fear that teams have just figured him out. He's slow and his decision making is not quick enough for an AM role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like a 4 3 2 1 formation

4 4 2 IMO is the worse formation for this team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see we are back on topic, the league single entity argument belongs some where else, so clam up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    He is certainly up there. G/90 minutes is probably a more fair stat right now instead of total goals, due to the fact that many teams have played more games than us (and to the fact that Defoe missed some due to injury).

For players with a non-trivial amount of minutes played - Wright-Phillips is still tops with 1.01 G/90. Dempsy is next at 0.96, then Plata and Defoe are tied at 0.90 apiece. Dempsy and Wright-Phillips have both played a lot more though which will still skew things.

Of the players above - Defoe has the most Game winning goals at 3 (although I always hate that stat as the goals that get scored after the mathematical winner often play a big role in the eventual winning of the game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I hope that Oso is just in a funk.. I fear that teams have just figured him out. He's slow and his decision making is not quick enough for an AM role.
    i agree he looks so slow out there. Maybe just the nagging injury after that first game in Seattle where he looked good. Hopefully after the world cup break he can be back to the form of last year and be at 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hume never stops running, very good running in the channels and gives all for 90 minutes, if we had given him better service in the 18 yard box he would have scored plenty, watched every game he played for Fleetwood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    i agree he looks so slow out there. Maybe just the nagging injury after that first game in Seattle where he looked good. Hopefully after the world cup break he can be back to the form of last year and be at 100%.
    I find him and Bekker just don't move into positive positions.. It's always.. pass the ball.. run off to the side.. ask for it back.. and then back to the defenders.

It's funny that the a main reason why we won the game against CLB was because Hagglund ignored Bekker's attempt at direction (to pass it back to the defense).. and instead he pushed up the field which eventually led to the free kick/goal by Henry.

Watching Vancouvers movement last night was night and day with what this midfield does. These players don't seem to get it. They are tentative and so slow on the ball that they rarely create any space for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's obvious that we're not good in possession especially with Bradley away but our strength is in transition. When Defoe's in the team, we're probably one of the best, if not the best in the league in terms of taking opportunities when possession is won. You can't doubt that Nelsen has a plan and it's worked well up to now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Gilberto pans out , then the transition ball might work a lot better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I find him and Bekker just don't move into positive positions.. It's always.. pass the ball.. run off to the side.. ask for it back.. and then back to the defenders.

It's funny that the a main reason why we won the game against CLB was because Hagglund ignored Bekker's attempt at direction (to pass it back to the defense).. and instead he pushed up the field which eventually led to the free kick/goal by Henry.

Watching Vancouvers movement last night was night and day with what this midfield does. These players don't seem to get it. They are tentative and so slow on the ball that they rarely create any space for themselves.
    Nobody should ever listen to Bekker. Wonder what Nelsen says to him that he has such a big head.