Page 205 of 215 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,150 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is how I see the Laba deal and most of this has been suggested already in it's various parts which is good to see... (I hate looking totally insane, at least not without wearing a straight jacket or clown make-up)

So Dike injury happens. Laba has to be loaned to make the team rule compliant. We can't score because Weids (I'm sorry) is only slight more useful then Mista.

We need more power up front, but the salary cap is an issue, a Loan out of Laba and keeping part of his salary may be a hindrance to bringing in a Number 3 striker. So the loan becomes a Trade and we dump the whole salary.

The Future considerations maybe the ability to do a net zero trade of Laba back to TFC in a year or Allocation if we needed it to bring in a 3rd striker.

getting the "most" for Laba may be the full salary dumb to replace Dike
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-27-2014 at 11:23 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is future considerations come from the MLS in some unmeasurable gesture towards cap relief or roster spot coupled with the Dike injury and the large transfer fee being held against us. Pretty sure it was a big failure point on Payne that Laba's transfer fee wasn't covered by the MLS.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Laba and was looking forward to seeing him develop as a red, but he only played 16 games for us, 10 of them he showed some real potential but then got hurt. Bradley on the other hand looks amazing, even when he is having an off game, he is nowhere near gelled with this team and has shown internationally that he can do that pretty quick.

So, I again brandish it down to some pretty serious issues with past management making some deals that just don't fit where we are going forward. Love it or hate it, its clear what our model is as a team and this comes from much higher than a manager or president, its the CEO of the company installing his vision and team to make it happen. Its proven and here. The MLS with its back room deals makes all this really hard to understand or appreciate but I am willing to guess that the rest of the league turned down their hatred of us a bit and might be willing to do some move talks for pieces we need, that or space will be made for us.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty pissed about the way it went down, but I agree with you. Another d-mid is simply not a priority at this time.

edit: referring to Kaz's post.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    What does that mean? They get a roster spot but wont have the money to use it so its really no relief?
    Yep.

They can replace him on the roster, if they have the budget space. They get no relief for his budget charge. So, if they are up against the assigned budget, there is no player coming. If by moving Laba and waiving Welshman they have some wiggle room, that's the "relief."

Sure makes trading down last year at the draft and not getting generation adidas players (who have no budget charge) seem like a questionable move... especially when they waive Welshman a year later.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bottom line. TFC's desire to pick up Bradley cost them Laba.

Ironically, they went for the upgrade hoping it would improve results. As a function of Laba ending up in Vancouver and TFC facing Vancouver in the first leg of the V Cup, they arguably have hurt their chances of winning that. And all it cost them was $5M a year.

Following this team makes your head spin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Bottom line. TFC's desire to pick up Bradley cost them Laba.

Ironically, they went for the upgrade hoping it would improve results. As a function of Laba ending up in Vancouver and TFC facing Vancouver in the first leg of the V Cup, they arguably have hurt their chances of winning that. And all it cost them was $5M a year.

Following this team makes your head spin.
    Yup TFC is paying Bradley $5M a year just to win the Voyageur's Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    How much do you want to bet that Bradley doesn't even see the field during the Voyageur's Cup. I'm thinking 95%.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    That's not exactly the point I was trying to make.

TFC wants to win this year. Most fans expect the V Cup at a minimum.

Point is that they upgraded Vancouver as a function of their decisions. Vancouver is a rival and while it is spun as a West Coast team, tell that to the fans that show up for the V Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not exactly the point I was trying to make.

TFC wants to win this year. Most fans expect playoffs at a minimum.

Point is that they upgraded Vancouver as a function of their decisions. Vancouver is a rival and while it is spun as a West Coast team, tell that to the fans that show up for the V Cup (all 5,000 of them).
    FYP. This is one of those things where the opinion of this board and the opinion of the general fan base vary greatly.

I know management has international ambitions and all, but if we accidentally fielded a second choice roster in the V's cup and were eliminated leaving more time to focus on the league I'm sure they'd be "really disappointed".

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

While that may be true, I'm sure the loss of additional rental dates would in fact leave some in the executive suites really disappointed.

In the end of season tally, if there are no playoffs that's not good. If there is no V Cup to go along with no playoffs, that's not good. I really feel for the marketing person who would have to spin that one.

Results, in all contests, matter this year IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While that may be true, I'm sure the loss of additional rental dates would in fact leave some in the executive suites really disappointed.

In the end of season tally, if there are no playoffs that's not good. If there is no V Cup to go along with no playoffs, that's not good. I really feel for the marketing person who would have to spin that one.

Results, in all contests, matter this year IMO.
    This is the most sense, there is no way that in the end all be all, with all the move tallied together that the FO is thinking "The V Cup is useless and we don't need to worry about it" when they want to try and make as much money as possible in order to pay for the moves we made.

More than 1 V Cup date is needed, CCL dates are needed, MLS playoff dates are needed.

In the end all be all, the FO wants to win in all comps (which means Bradley will play in V Cup, means that Tim B will probably pick up someone to replace Dike for the year)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

former tfc player news:

Tampa Bay Rowdies@RowdiesSoccer2 hrsBREAKING: Rowdies Sign Former @NorwichCityFC & @stokecity midfielder @DarelRussell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    This is the most sense, there is no way that in the end all be all, with all the move tallied together that the FO is thinking "The V Cup is useless and we don't need to worry about it" when they want to try and make as much money as possible in order to pay for the moves we made.

More than 1 V Cup date is needed, CCL dates are needed, MLS playoff dates are needed.

In the end all be all, the FO wants to win in all comps (which means Bradley will play in V Cup, means that Tim B will probably pick up someone to replace Dike for the year)
    Hey I'm sure they'd like to do it all, but they certainly realize that MLS rosters are not deep - especially ours - and there are tradeoffs involved.

The original point was "TFC fans expect V's Cup at a minimum". That is not correct. Playoffs are the expectation, V's cup & CCL are secondary. The general fan base doesn't understand those comps as well, they've been poor at the gate in comparison to the league, and TFC's reputation of futility is largely based on league play. This team can do what is did previously in V's and CCL, but if they don't make post season headline will read "failure".

Their priority is to make us successful, the priority this year will be league play. If we consistently become a top half team I think the other comp will start to gain importance, but right now the tagline of TFC is "never made playoffs" not "multiple V's cup wins and one CCL run".
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-27-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put the chance of Laba comming back at 1%. You have no control once the player is no longer yours, Tim B may be smart be he too will sugarcoat things because he knows how pissed of people are about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    FYP. This is one of those things where the opinion of this board and the opinion of the general fan base vary greatly.

I know management has international ambitions and all, but if we accidentally fielded a second choice roster in the V's cup and were eliminated leaving more time to focus on the league I'm sure they'd be "really disappointed".
    A large portion would be disappointed. The domestic title means just as much if not more then the MLS Cup.

The benifits of playing champions leauge football out weigh winning the MLS cup to me.

Showcasing not only our country but our city through out North America and possibly on a world stage if we won the champions leauge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    A large portion would be disappointed. The domestic title means just as much if not more then the MLS Cup.

The benifits of playing champions leauge football out weigh winning the MLS cup to me.

Showcasing not only our country but our city through out North America and possibly on a world stage if we won the champions leauge.
    ah yes. the CCL. where you get to play about 2 games that are worth it against a Mexican team, if you're lucky. otherwise, it's more MLS teams. or worse, fun and engaging games vs powerhouses like Arabe Unido or Communiciones.

I like CCL. I really do. but other than Liga MX teams, does CCL really provide good value?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    If what you're saying is true, should TFC not be considered a success based on their usual performance domestically? Given that we're seen as a bumbling failure, I would suggest V's isn't what people see as important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if there is room now for another striker, who is realistically out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    ah yes. the CCL. where you get to play about 2 games that are worth it against a Mexican team, if you're lucky. otherwise, it's more MLS teams. or worse, fun and engaging games vs powerhouses like Arabe Unido or Communiciones.

I like CCL. I really do. but other than Liga MX teams, does CCL really provide good value?
    Some of best games TFC have ever played happen to be in CCL and V-Cup.

What I personally love about V-Cup and CCL is that atmosphere in those games are much better than regular season MLS games where it's more family friendly like atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So if there is room now for another striker, who is realistically out there?
    Earnshaw?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Earnshaw?
    why? TFC already has 3 small, poacher type strikers already. 4 if you count Aparicio. TFC needs a hold up, target man striker
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I put the chance of Laba comming back at 1%. You have no control once the player is no longer yours, Tim B may be smart be he too will sugarcoat things because he knows how pissed of people are about this.
    Sorry, there is no basis for saying this, other than cynicism based on the previous regime.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why? TFC already has 3 small, poacher type strikers already. 4 if you count Aparicio. TFC needs a hold up, target man striker
    Well it's going to be hard find one until summer time. If we're desperate for strikers, you get any striker who can score goals. Earnshaw (assuming is available) can be that guy. We can get our target man in summer time unless we can make trade for target man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ah yes. the CCL. where you get to play about 2 games that are worth it against a Mexican team, if you're lucky. otherwise, it's more MLS teams. or worse, fun and engaging games vs powerhouses like Arabe Unido or Communiciones. I like CCL. I really do. but other than Liga MX teams, does CCL really provide good value?
    Besides, the prize is a chance to get obliterated by Bayern Munich or Barcelona (certainly not dismissing the opportunity to be the first MLS representatives there though - that would be awesome). I like the CCL too, but winning the League is important to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's going to be hard find one until summer time. If we're desperate for strikers, you get any striker who can score goals. Earnshaw (assuming is available) can be that guy. We can get our target man in summer time unless we can make trade for target man.
    2 1st rd picks will get you pretty much any player in MLS

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1.

The best part is these types can be very effective without actually scoring goals. So you can find someone relatively cheap who is an asset to the team and a fair amount of these types are available domestically.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What exactly is Conor Casey's status? He'd be an intriguing option if he were available, only thing I don't like is he couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough before when we had him. His tune may have changed though if it means playing with the likes of Defoe and Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaron Schoenfeld; target man at Columbus, young, good at dishing and holding up the ball (better at that than scoring) and isn't going to see much time. Worth a crack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    What exactly is Conor Casey's status? He'd be an intriguing option if he were available, only thing I don't like is he couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough before when we had him. His tune may have changed though if it means playing with the likes of Defoe and Bradley.
    He's second to MciNerney in the 433, it appears, but Hackworth claims he'll get lots of time.