Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dero Comparables:

salaries from start of 2013, and their 2013 production.

Dero (35 years old) was on $645K guaranteed - 3 goals 2 assists - bust
    Morales (33 years old) was on $300K guaranteed - 8 goals 10 assists - yahtzee!
    Arnaud (33 years old) was on $290K guaranteed - 1 goal and 5 assists - bust
    Buddle (32 years old) was on $275K guaranteed - he scored 5 goals, was kind of a bust.
    Hassli (32 years old) was on $262K guaranteed - he scored 4 goals - bust.
    Cummings (31 years old) was on $239K guaranteed - he scored 1 goal - bust
    Le Toux (29 years old, he's a bit young to be a true comparable, but I put him in anyway) - $212K guaranteed - 3 goals - bust
    Casey - (32 years old) on $175K guaranteed - 10 goals - yahtzee!
    Le Toux had 12 assists... For a striker, he plays more of a withdrawn playmaking role. Also saw a lot of time on LM IIRC.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero Comparables:

salaries from start of 2013, and their 2013 production.

Dero (35 years old) was on $645K guaranteed - 3 goals 2 assists - bust
    Morales (33 years old) was on $300K guaranteed - 8 goals 10 assists - yahtzee!
    Arnaud (33 years old) was on $290K guaranteed - 1 goal and 5 assists - bust
    Buddle (32 years old) was on $275K guaranteed - he scored 5 goals, was kind of a bust.
    Cummings (31 years old) was on $239K guaranteed - he scored 1 goal - bust
    Le Toux (29 years old, he's a bit young to be a true comparable, but I put him in anyway) - $212K guaranteed - 3 goals - bust
    Casey - (32 years old) on $175K guaranteed - 10 goals - yahtzee!
    Let's be fair to him. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, which typically requires at least a year in order for the player to regain proper form. I guarantee you that no one in DC would consider him a bust based on his overall body of work in 3 years with that organization.

In 2012, he scored 7 goals and 12 assists an 26 games. In 2011, he scored 16 goals and 12 assists in 33 games.

If you look at the more appropriate sample size of his entire career, it's reasonable to conclude that his sudden decline in production last year was primarily the result of the lingering affects from the first serious injury he has ever had to deal with.

DeRo has been training vigorously off the pitch this off season. If he is healthy to start the season as anticipated, I think he can still be an impact player off the bench for our club.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 12-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the fact he's back. I think he can still help this team win games and get goals; and in the end that is all that matters.

All the other stuff about having the local guy get that chance to do well in his home town is just potential icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Let's be fair to him. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, which typically requires at least a year in order for the player to regain proper form. I guarantee you that no one in DC would consider him a bust based on his overall body of work in 3 years with that organization.

In 2012, he scored 7 goals and 12 assists an 26 games. In 2011, he scored 16 goals and 12 assists in 33 games.

If you look at the more appropriate sample size of his entire career, it's reasonable to conclude that his sudden decline in production last year was primarily the result of the lingering affects from the first serious injury he has ever had to deal with.

DeRo has been training vigorously off the pitch this off season. If he is healthy to start the season as anticipated, I think he can still be an impact player off the bench for our club.
    No matter what you do off the pitch, you lose a step at 34-35. Combine that with an injury and you have the reason his production declined.

I do though think he can still do a job. If he's mostly subbing later in games I think he'll score a few goals. I'd also consider putting him on the wing for some starts, but Morrow or whoever sits behind him better be well prepared to have no cover. And the central mid should play as two holding mids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/eric-hassli

0 goals actually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Le Toux had 12 assists... For a striker, he plays more of a withdrawn playmaking role. Also saw a lot of time on LM IIRC.
    Then not a bust. I should take him off the list, a 29 year old just isn't relevant, Dero was 29 in 2007.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Right!

In that case, megabust.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-19-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    No matter what you do off the pitch, you lose a step at 34-35.
    I dunno. I'm well into my 30's and I haven't lost a step. I can still eat and drink as well as I ever have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Therein potentially lies the problem, at his age, he will be 36 next season, these injuries become much more common and are a lot harder to shake off.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Welcome back! Here is hoping he finds his old form.
    Word.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait until player's union release salary figures and the board goes apeshit over DeRo's wages
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key is squad rotation.

The question should be, how many minutes will DeRo see? I can see him starting in cases of injury to either striker or Osorio/Jackson/Rey and otherwise being a half hour sub in league matches, then playing all the cup games. I wouldn't be surprised of he's well under 2000 minutes... which is still a fair shake, but not the constant grind of being an out and out starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I dunno. I'm well into my 30's and I haven't lost a step. I can still eat and drink as well as I ever have.
    Well I just turned 40 and I can't drink two consecutive nights anymore. Very sad.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    I suspect the only thing he will tear apart this season is his hamstring.
    Bazinga. Well played, sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only is DeRo back, but that means I'ma start posting on this message board again...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we're building here. And boy is that a change

It may not be true that Dero likes what were building, or that he can get more $$.
    Fact is, He is toronto's own, and nowhere in teh leagyue will he be as warmly welcomed and cheered as here.
    LOVE that he is back!

#DERFOE2014TTLA
    Last edited by Technorgasm; 12-19-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wants to come back because he lots of Business interests here. Its his home, he's adored here...new management and new staff. Its a win. He wont be the main man but he will look after the kids and set up our strikers....How this si looked upon as bad I dont kow. welcome home....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCK DE RO AN HIS CHECK SIGNING ANTICS. FUCK HIM AND THE HORSE HE RODE TO TOWN.

Actually, I was never one that was calling for De Ro to leave town, although I understood that we need to make changes. He was the best offensive player we have ever had, something of a AM/SS/CF mix, but he scored goals, and created for himself. I am not sure what to expect, he is slower and weaker then he was, so I am not sure how effective he will be, but still think that he has the nose for the goal, that is not common in the MLS, so it is good to have him back. I wonder how he will be used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Dero had gone to another Canadian team it would have simply been wrong. This city has always loved him and the way he left was a complete shame. This team has very few players that will long term be the face of TFC as the Leafs and Jays have. Dero can be and I believe will be that for this team. This is an excellent pick up for the team with short term goals in mind. I am realistic enough to know that Dero will not be playing for many more years but he will be kept on in some shape or form with the team when he retires. I welcome him back and will break out all the Dero jerseys and shirts I disgustingly put away when he was traded for a bag of balls a few years ago. Thanks TFC for doing what I believe is the right thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Well I just turned 40 and I can't drink two consecutive nights anymore. Very sad.
    Maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Some practice will help improve your form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Some practice will help improve your form.
    Even with proper warm up I still get overuse injuries.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this is righting a wrong from our clubs history and helps build back trust.

Best case Dero contributes on the field and everyone loves him. Worst case we have paid Dero $200k or so that we probably owed him from broken promises... I understand that football is a business but I want to support and love a team that I can respect. There are many more strong characters in the dressing room that will manage the atmosphere and hopefully a happy Dero will contribute in a positive manner.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I can't wait until player's union release salary figures and the board goes apeshit over DeRo's wages
    That feels like a dead cinch certainty to me.

Oh well, who cares I guess. We've seen worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That feels like a dead cinch certainty to me.

Oh well, who cares I guess. We've seen worse.
    We have a crapload of allocation cash, apparently, so they'll probably just buy it down on a year-to-year basis and record it as a sub 200K cap hit for the actual salary. Something like 175K salary (cap hit), 220K guaranteed and some off books as allocation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We have a crapload of allocation cash, apparently, so they'll probably just buy it down on a year-to-year basis and record it as a sub 200K cap hit for the actual salary. Something like 175K salary (cap hit), 220K guaranteed and some off books as allocation.
    buying down salary with allocation money is stupid move, unless you're a team that's going for one more push for MLS cup. allocation money don't grow on trees.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article on CSN mentioned his salary is rumored to be around 150k.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Article on CSN mentioned his salary is rumored to be around 150k.
    Totally unreliable source, but let's assume that it's true, for now.
    No need to buy down, he'll fit easily in the cap.
    He knows he'll be a sub, not the star.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Totally unreliable source, but let's assume that it's true, for now.
    No need to buy down, he'll fit easily in the cap.
    He knows he'll be a sub, not the star.
    I think you mean Not a starter.
    He could very well end up being a star, and then eventually a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very least he won't be scoring goals against us. He played against us like it was the world cup final.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Dero feeding the ball to Gilberto/Defoe is awesomely awesome.

Defoe plays down low...needs fed low...Dero playing high behind front 2 in midfield will do this. NOW, Defoe (if he signs) will tear this league apart and Dero will get a ton of assists.
    .... assuming 2 of the 3 don't tear their aging ACL's apart.

Hoping this doesn't end up like when Doug Gilmour returned to the Leafs and hurt himself on his first shift. Then there was Wendel's return which revealed he wasn't the player he used to be as a result on age.

In the end though, the team is doing all that it can given its current state of infrastructure. It has to exploit its pocketbook for an immediate stop gap and then find diamonds in the rough of MLS' signed pool of players. They appear to be doing all they can over the short term.

Gilberto is the player that really interests me as he likely has a shelf life longer than a season or two.