Page 270 of 288 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,100 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Bez was sent along to moneyball the situation. We're picking two DP's, and the cost is what it is below the cap - everything above that is none of Bez's concern. Bez was supposed to be the guy who kept our cap in check. He's a league guy, knows all the rules, etc.. So what could his input be on the question of, let's say, Berbatov? Nelsen would have input. TL would have input. What could Bez add to the conversation? TL is holding the cheque book. Unless (and God forbid this is what's happening) Bez is treated as a proper GM, and he actually will have a real say over what players we choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised about some comments re Klose. No idea where the fear is about him getting injured because of his age is coming from - guess what we had an 18 yr old pretty much end his career on a snowmobile. Injuries happen, any age, any time. We should also compare him to Di Vaio who is two years older than Klose and doesn't look like he's slowing down, and could play next year if he so chose. Putting that in perspective, there is no reason why Klose couldn't go through a 4yr contract and be effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di Vaio is a good example but not the rule but exception of the rule. For every Henry, DiVaio there's two or three Mistas and DeGuzmans.

Plus DiViao is gone after the year. Unless we can continually bring in top DP talent I think it's a thing you only do when your on the brink of becoming better. That we are not. Soild MLS foundation first then DPs.

Now if they do bring in Klose ill still back him wearing the crest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I don't think Bez was sent along to moneyball the situation. We're picking two DP's, and the cost is what it is below the cap - everything above that is none of Bez's concern. Bez was supposed to be the guy who kept our cap in check. He's a league guy, knows all the rules, etc.. So what could his input be on the question of, let's say, Berbatov? Nelsen would have input. TL would have input. What could Bez add to the conversation? TL is holding the cheque book. Unless (and God forbid this is what's happening) Bez is treated as a proper GM, and he actually will have a real say over what players we choose.
    Unless they are also looking to add non-DPs this trip, then his inclusion would make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=908_3iWWYk0

This goal made him a Hero. Have so much respect for the guy and would be honored if he would wear are crest. Only thing is he can't stay healthy for the full season.Has been injured every season for Lazio. Deadly in the box thou. NEEDS SERVICE THOU!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=908_3iWWYk0

This goal made him a Hero. Have so much respect for the guy and would be honored if he would wear are crest. Only thing is he can't stay healthy for the full season.Has been injured every season for Lazio. Deadly in the box thou. NEEDS SERVICE THOU!
    If Chicarito is truly seen as a "goal scorer only" or a "poacher only" as this article suggests, maybe he'd be the perfect MLS DP...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Di Vaio is a good example but not the rule but exception of the rule. For every Henry, DiVaio there's two or three Mistas and DeGuzmans.

Plus DiViao is gone after the year. Unless we can continually bring in top DP talent I think it's a thing you only do when your on the brink of becoming better. That we are not. Soild MLS foundation first then DPs.

Now if they do bring in Klose ill still back him wearing the crest.
    I totally agree re Solid MLS foundation and how to build then add the DP.

However, re my point on MDV - Di Vaio is not the exception. Look at Serie A - Di Natale, Klose, Milito, Pirlo, Totti, Cassano, Miccoli, Rocchi - these are all guys still competing at the top level in their mid 30s (well save Cassano and the list of guys in early 30s is long too). Hell Zanetti is 40! It must be a glass or red wine a day or something like that :P

My point was just that there are instances where the age should not scare us off. Players get injured. It happens at 18, it happens at 33. I'm more interested in their recent rates and production and in this instance I think Klose would do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the problem is those clubs have depth, larger squads, and less demanding travel schedules.

They can afford to keep a talented but only sometimes healthy 30 something in the lineup and play him occasionally. Not the case here.

We need someone without questionmarks next to their name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But the problem is those clubs have depth, larger squads, and less demanding travel schedules.

They can afford to keep a talented but only sometimes healthy 30 something in the lineup and play him occasionally. Not the case here.

Let's face it, people tend to forget that big clubs in the big 3 European Leagues have a roster of 3 starting XI's so players last longer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with that. Rooney is not coming here anytime soon.

I'm willing to settle for a proven player who can still contribute at a high level. Klose fits the bill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking like T/L for a moment:

Klose doesn't check the shirt selling box that T/L wants.

If we are going to get a 36/37 year old, he better be able to sell shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

I'm willing to settle for a proven player who can still contribute at a high level. Klose fits the bill.
    I didn't say they have to be young, but they should be able to stay healthy. If Klose is on the field as much as Koevermans it's not going to work out.

I doubt we'll do this, but I'd prefer if we looked at players who have profiles Valeri or Higuain.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

Rooney has been wanting to leave ManU for a very long time, I believe he is likely a temperamental spoiled childlike man but I think that the idea of going on a goal scoring spree would actually pique his interest.

His agent is a vacuum cleaner(?) salesman. TL is a slick MoFo, if ANYONE could sell Rooney on coming to Toronto it would be him. Toronto is NOT a podunk town in the eyes of the world. Although not New York, I think that most people would take Toronto over LA.

His contract is up at the end of this season, he ticks all the boxes.

He currently makes about $26m CAN per year, we can tack on another $10m and have $4m left for the name with question marks next to it.

We have plenty of young grannies for him if you go to the right areas of the GTA.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying the league will tear him apart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MLS is a reckless league with shit officiating to police the game, those type of players are accustomed to good clean tackles, not the garbage hacking going on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a really good recent interview with Ryan Giggs where he talks about playing as an older player - what is involved, recovery times, how playing at a big club helps.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...al-Madrid.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Rooney has been wanting to leave ManU for a very long time, I believe he is likely a temperamental spoiled childlike man but I think that the idea of going on a goal scoring spree would actually pique his interest.

His agent is a vacuum cleaner(?) salesman. TL is a slick MoFo, if ANYONE could sell Rooney on coming to Toronto it would be him. Toronto is NOT a podunk town in the eyes of the world. Although not New York, I think that most people would take Toronto over LA.

His contract is up at the end of this season, he ticks all the boxes.

He currently makes about $26m CAN per year, we can tack on another $10m and have $4m left for the name with question marks next to it.

We have plenty of young grannies for him if you go to the right areas of the GTA.
    His contract is up at the end of next year (2015).

Also, the reason he is/was unhappy is because he was played out of position and then dropped for the biggest game of the year (Real Madrid 2nd leg).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I thought it was the league will tear him a new one. But no, I'm not opposed to Klose as long as we do our diligence on wear-and-tear. But I question how many DPs are necessary. Other clubs in this league are successful with less than that and there is a huge risk you become cap-strung.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was the league will tear him a new one. But no, I'm not opposed to Klose as long as we do our diligence on wear-and-tear. But I question how many DPs are necessary. Other clubs in this league are successful with less than that and there is a huge risk you become cap-strung.
    Wouldn't be anymore cap-strung than we are now with Koev, Frei, and Ecks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Wouldn't be anymore cap-strung than we are now with Koev, Frei, and Ecks.
    Well that doesn't mean it's the way forward, it just means it's slightly better and that's not a very high standard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with the idea of the DP, but you do run a bigger risk due to the cap hit. However, it's been great for some teams, and not so great for others. To me it's all about picking the right player, and then the rest is a gamble. But who dares wins, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we please stop talking about Rooney.. unless it's John Rooney, in which case I still don't want to talk about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino would be a good signing in my opinion. A more agile Koevermans with better touch.

edit: He generally won't be turning games on their heads alone. But he'd be a consistent finisher with decent service.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad look. Hes the type of guy you would assume.. He started professionally very young so I don't think he has too much juice left in him...

Offer him 2 million, which is about .5 million more then he makes right now and send Genoa over 4-5MIL.

This isn't the BIGGER THAN BECKHAM signing.... but if you put someone with a big time name behind him I like that look very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    decent service.
    This seems to be a constant theme, I hope the coaching staff has a plan to get the forwards the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Not a bad look. Hes the type of guy you would assume.. He started professionally very young so I don't think he has too much juice left in him...

Offer him 2 million, which is about .5 million more then he makes right now and send Genoa over 4-5MIL.

This isn't the BIGGER THAN BECKHAM signing.... but if you put someone with a big time name behind him I like that look very much.
    He'd be good for 3 seasons easily which is about what you'd expect making the signings we're looking for.

This seems to be a constant theme, I hope the coaching staff has a plan to get the forwards the ball.
    And I do mean decent, i.e. about average MLS chance creation. He has enough quality to be scoring regularly if we can fashion 3-4 good build-ups a game.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-15-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again another player that needs service. I've thought for years Gilardino was not very good and should definitely no where near the national team. For the MLS, he is good striker but needs service. He doesn't create chances out of nothing, he relies on service and he is a good finisher. I think there are better players we could get with that money then him thou.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=BuSaPuNk;1615709]Di Vaio is a good example but not the rule but exception of the rule. For every Henry, DiVaio there's two or three Mistas and DeGuzmans.

Now if they do bring in Klose ill still back him wearing the crest.[,. /QUOTE]

Actually Di Viao is staying through 2014....according to MLS site, but you're right we need a foundation first and even though Payne made some purchasing errors , he had the right idea in getting YOUNG DP's...EG; Laba a great find.
    Last edited by jazzy; 10-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS site can say whatever it wants. There's been multiple reports he's going back to Italy and retiring.

Plus you think the leauge is going to say a top player to one of its teams is going to leave the league?

Not saying it's not possible. Just think when there's smoke there's fire. He's as good as gone.