Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Seems to me there was someone by the name of D. Dichio who became a bit of a club legend, but yeah, I get what you mean. Difference is, these English players should still have a bit left in the tank (Earnshaw) or still have most of their careers ahead of them and weren't being given much of a chance at their current clubs (Ephraim). At least they aren't career League 1/2 players (Welsh).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point about Dichio, how he slipped my wind I'm not sure. I'm excited, I always am when we get new players, but on the whole the "Keep TFC British" thing hasn't worked. It's a little reminiscent of Mo with all these British players.

Still super psyched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    As for Johnny Bostock... doesn't seem like much an improvement over what we currently have, just more depth at 63 - http://sofifa.com/en/fifa13winter/pl...7-john-bostock
    The guy likes to attack, likes to shoot on goal, can use both feet well, and likes to dribble around people, and has the inherent ability to do so... I'd say that's a hell of an improvement over a good amount of players on TFC's roster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    The guy likes to attack, likes to shoot on goal, can use both feet well, and likes to dribble around people, and has the inherent ability to do so... I'd say that's a hell of an improvement over a good amount of players on TFC's roster
    Fair enough. If he is signed I hope he trains well and pushes for a spot. Increased competition for playing time is always a good thing in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Fair enough. If he is signed I hope he trains well and pushes for a spot. Increased competition for playing time is always a good thing in my opinion.
    ... to be fair, it remains to be seen if he can do any of those things well in-game at the MLS level, but if he's good at any one of those things, i would restate he is better then some of the talent on the roster currently

... also, he has a heavy foot on spot kicks, i'm told, which on TFC team is a premium - beyond Bekker and Silva (although i've seen Silva take a couple corners that didn't elevate) i'm not sure who would fill that role with Frings gone - O'Dea has a nice boot though too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    ... also, he has a heavy foot on spot kicks, i'm told, which on TFC team is a premium - beyond Bekker and Silva (although i've seen Silva take a couple corners that didn't elevate) i'm not sure who would fill that role with Frings gone - O'Dea has a nice boot though too
    Dunfield will step up and take all set pieces in a hard working way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eckersley, Ephraim, Koevermans, Lambe, Morgan, O'Dea 2 Int spots open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earnshaw is gonna take up another int spot, 1 spot left..Think Payne moves Lambe to make more room?
    Last edited by andmat; 02-27-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amarikwa to the Fire for a 1st (supplemental round) pick sounds good.

Seems like the fish has flopped himself out of the pond.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

earnshaw did nothing but want me to bash my head against the wall when with derby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Callum Williams@CalWilliamsSKCJi Sung Park, the latests to be linked with #MLS - Obvious rumor flying around is Toronto FC due to Nelsen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ji-Sung_Park

Would you want him on the assumption that he would probably have to be made a DP at age 32 (if this at all credible)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks to Park as a DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    No thanks to Park as a DP.
    No thanks as a DP is right. Maybe if he was willing to come real cheap or on a cheap, non-DP level loan.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way to Park. Great player in his prime, but 32 is two years minimum on the side of uncomfortable. As much as I love high-profile DP signings, if he's not a goal machine like Lampard or Drogba, I'm not interested. This league has proven time and again that only DPs who can score over and over again (Danny K, please stand up) are worth anything at all in that spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Park wearing red again, but only if it comes as non-dp. I read something saying that Payne will only sign older, players to lower contracts, so i don't think we need to worry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, the leagues other Korean international is well over 32 and is doing well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Callum Williams@CalWilliamsSKCJi Sung Park, the latests to be linked with #MLS - Obvious rumor flying around is Toronto FC due to Nelsen.

Would you want him on the assumption that he would probably have to be made a DP at age 32 (if this at all credible)?
    Park Ji-Sung is a great player, a big-game, cup winning player, the kind you need to get wins on the road, to win balls on the wings and the mid-field, i think any team would like to have this type of player on teir team, and would probably fit well in Nelsen's "defend to attack" counter-attack style...

... but at a DP salary, that would be squandering what little opportunity you have to sign impact, game-changing players - i don't think he fits that role (maybe if was just coming out of PSV in his prime, but not now). Would be an improvement on the right on both sides of the ball for sure, but i dunno about a DP for that - he's not really known for crossing or 1v1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see PJS, and he can fill all midfield positions except CAM. but he's got a bit of bum knee and he's the type of player that needs a talented group of players to bring out the best in him. relying on him to carry the team is only going to disappoint people, a la JDG
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    To be fair, the leagues other Korean international is well over 32 and is doing well!
    He didn't require a DP deal, did he? These guys have made their money. Vancouver, Chicago, Colorado, Seattle have all signed foreign players for reasonable weekly money instead of premier league money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Park does not fit this clubs needs right now.

Too old for big DP money, and has already been on the decline in recent seasons.
    TFC isn't going to seriously compete this year (maybe not even next), so there is not point bringing him on.

We need Young(er) DP's who can grow with the team, or at least still be of DP quality in 2-3 years from now.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    I would love to see Park wearing red again, but only if it comes as non-dp. I read something saying that Payne will only sign older, players to lower contracts, so i don't think we need to worry.
    I hope that's right. There's just so much empirical evidence to point to that says older (ie over 30) DPs in this league will fail 9 times out of 10. David Beckham and Thierry Henry are the only successes I can think of. Everyone - barring maybe Danny K - who has worn the tag for TFC has been an unabashed failure.

Mista, anyone?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where there is smoke, there is fire?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/wi...#ixzz2M9wYsrxn

Q: When you leave, which South Korean player are you going to talk into replacing you? Can it be Ji-Sung Park?
    A: [Laughs] Last week I was talking with Ji-Sung Park actually.
    Q: And you said?
    A: If I can, I will bring another good Korean player. Must be much better than me.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/with+Whit...#ixzz2MDPUSY9h
    - See more at: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/wi...#ixzz2M9wYsrxn
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As per Payne's talk at the presser the other day, older players would only come on loan so no worries about DP deals really. Maybe as a stop gap cover until next year plus for some leadership and for Park it'd be better to get some minutes rather than rot at the soon to be relegated QPR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    As per Payne's talk at the presser the other day, older players would only come on loan so no worries about DP deals really. Maybe as a stop gap cover until next year plus for some leadership and for Park it'd be better to get some minutes rather than rot at the soon to be relegated QPR.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but loan players can also be DPs, no? For example, if TFC agreed to pay 50% of a player's wages and that equaled a sum greater than $400K (or whatever the threshold is these days), then that player would be a loaned DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No point talking about it when the only "source" is one guy who realized Nelson also played at QPR. This is not happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sky Sports reporting we signed Russel.

Pete O'Rourke@SkySportsPeteO
    Former Norwich and Stoke midfielder Darel Russell has agreed a deal to join Toronto FC after impressing on trial. #SCFC #NCFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Sky Sports reporting we signed Russel.

Pete O'Rourke@SkySportsPeteO
    Former Norwich and Stoke midfielder Darel Russell has agreed a deal to join Toronto FC after impressing on trial. #SCFC #NCFC
    Not surprised. Starting to think Lambe will be toast as he is waste of that international roster spot. Especially if we work something out with Bostock and/or Earnshaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but loan players can also be DPs, no? For example, if TFC agreed to pay 50% of a player's wages and that equaled a sum greater than $400K (or whatever the threshold is these days), then that player would be a loaned DP.
    probably; if you have an open spot - no rules on length of contract, loan contract vs. league contract, etc.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprised. Starting to think Lambe will be toast as he is waste of that international roster spot. Especially if we work something out with Bostock and/or Earnshaw.
    For sure he's toast, or either he or someone else. I think he's got a bit of promise so wouldn't mind him as depth, but that international slot is too important and valuable if it can be spent on someone like Russell. Russell's a smidge on the old side, so don't think we're paying DP cash, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Lambe is a 1-in-sixer, right? Too soon?