Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    This Lopez kid sounds extremely tempting. Would be amazing to get him. We need to free up some international spots.
    I dunno. I think I wouldn't mind taking this kid as 3rd 'young' DP. only 150k hit on the cap incl transfer fee
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I dunno. I think I wouldn't mind taking this kid as 3rd 'young' DP. only 150k hit on the cap incl transfer fee
    Much better use of the DP slot than Hassli or Frings. Why did we pick up Hassli's option again?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Much better use of the DP slot than Hassli or Frings. Why did we pick up Hassli's option again?
    because hassli scored 3 goals in 7 games for TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Toronto fc are planning to sign him in the near future, they must have either planned to make room for an international spot, or are going to sign him to a dp contract. Personally I'd like the first choice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    If Toronto fc are planning to sign him in the near future, they must have either planned to make room for an international spot, or are going to sign him to a dp contract. Personally I'd like the first choice.
    you still need an international spot if you sign an international player to a DP contract

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! I watched the first video and although it was an incredible goal, my immediate thoughts however were 'anyone can get lucky'

After watching the second video, it looks as if this guy would be our go-to guy for free kicks. I hope we get him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you still need an international spot if you sign an international player to a DP contract
    Oh, ok thanks for the clarification. Like I said, we must try and create room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Stress;1549662]I could deal without Plata and/or Lambe if it meant opening a spot for this kid Lopez. If this is the same guy, looks like he'll fit right in with our hoof ball style:

I would not be against dropping Lambe. While he has good individual skills, his lack of vision and passing takes all the movement out of our attack. Plata is an unknown really.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Lambe and Plata are one dimensional players, however, they are still 21 and 20 right now. Still got some time to learn some football intelligence

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So wait let me get this straight our FO doesn't come back into operation until seven days into the January transfer window? (January 7th)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    So wait let me get this straight our FO doesn't come back into operation until seven days into the January transfer window? (January 7th)
    MLS transfer window 2012

The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

• January 21 – April 15 (Primary Window)
    • June 27 – July 27 (Secondary Window)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC confirm their interest in Alex Lopez http://www.latribuna.hn/2013/01/02/t...eres-en-lopez/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC confirms interest in Lopez
    Deportes 2 enero, 2013 - 1:51 PM
    Sports January 2, 2013 - 1:51 PM

11281552 To

Redacción deportes.- El propio gerente general de Toronto FC, Kevin Payne, confirmó este miércoles el interés que tiene el club canadiense, que participa en la MLS, en contratar al mediocampista hondureño Alexander López.
    Writing sports. - CEO himself Toronto FC, Kevin Payne, confirmed Wednesday the interest of the Canadian club, which participates in the MLS, in hiring the Honduran midfielder Alexander Lopez.
    Tenemos una lista de jugadores a los que intentaremos fichar durante el Súper Draft.
    We have a list of players who will try to sign during the Super Draft.
    Donde aparecen nombres de jóvenes promesas que ya son seleccionados en su país (López y Arnold Peralta)”, declaró Payne.
    Where are promising young names that are already selected in your country (Lopez and Arnold Peralta), "said Payne.
    Alexander López
    Alexander Lopez

En la página oficial del equipo canadiense, Torontofc.ca, además del nombre de los catrachos, aparecen como posibles opciones a contratar: Andrew Farrell, José Gómez y Mikey López.
    On the official website of the Canadian team, Torontofc.ca and the name of the Hondurans, appear as possible options to hire: Andrew Farrell, Mikey Gomez and Jose Lopez.
    De momento Olimpia ni López se han pronunciado sobre su posible paso a la Major League Soccer (MLS), pero en los próximos días se estaría oficializando o descartando su salto al balompié extranjero.
    For now Olimpia and Lopez have spoken about a possible move to Major League Soccer (MLS), but in the coming days will be formalizing or discarding your jump to football abroad.
    Mientras que Vida y Toronto FC ya llegaron a acuerdo por Peralta, solo falta que el equipo canadiense arregle con el jugador, para que él estampe su firma.
    While Toronto FC Life and agreement reached and Peralta, just need to fix the Canadian team with the player, so he affixed his signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Toronto FC confirm their interest in Alex Lopez http://www.latribuna.hn/2013/01/02/t...eres-en-lopez/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that we are getting a piece of this Honduran fire sale. Alex Lopez would have to be a DP signing though, which means somebody's got to go. Frings buyout maybe? Wish we could have both of them in 2013 somehow, that would be a great starting AM transition.

I assume there will be some salary shenanigans to keep him under DP status in 2013, we'll probably deal for a int'l slot. He would take TF's DP slot in 2014.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 01-03-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I like that we are getting a piece of this Honduran fire sale. Alex Lopez would have to be a DP signing though, which means somebody's got to go. Frings buyout maybe? Wish we could have both of them in 2013 somehow, that would be a great starting AM transition.

I assume there will be some salary shenanigans to keep him under DP status in 2013, we'll probably deal for a int'l slot. He would take TF's DP slot in 2014.
    Well, I remember the last time we tried something like that :/

That said, I think Payne is a little more trustworthy than Mo. I just hope for Lopez's sake, its all on paper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Lambe and Plata are one dimensional players, however, they are still 21 and 20 right now. Still got some time to learn some football intelligence
    Agreed.

On a playoff team, guys like Plata and Lambe are ideal late game subs on the wings. The fact that they are currently our best wingers is a testament to our lack of depth in that department. Amarikwa and Wiedeman don't cut it as starters either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole story around Frings is a mystery to me. He left for home very abruptly. It was right after the game when PM through him under the bus for diving in defensively. Then it comes out that his hip is injured. I assume PM would have known he was injured, so why publicly call him out? Frings is a proud player and played at the highest levels on winning teams. Who said Frings wants to come back? I have not heard that Frings has directly said he wants to come back. I have only heard PM say that which may be a bit dubious. Maybe Frings is looking at his options. So we may have 1 DP position open and Lopez fits the right age bracket that Payne is looking for. Maybe others have a more definitive idea of what is happening with Frings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed.

On a playoff team, guys like Plata and Lambe are ideal late game subs on the wings. The fact that they are currently our best wingers is a testament to our lack of depth in that department. Amarikwa and Wiedeman don't cut it as starters either.
    Do not disagree with you at all, some good points raised. However, we are still short of 2 or 3 midfielder starters for this coming season and we may have to give up one of our ideal depth players to get the starters we need. Also in the MLS structure can we afford to tie up international positions as depth players or do those need to go to domestic players where we have more flexibility.
    Last edited by SKB; 01-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    The whole story around Frings is a mystery to me. He left for home very abruptly. It was right after the game when PM through him under the bus for diving in defensively. Then it comes out that his hip is injured. I assume PM would have known he was injured, so why publicly call him out? Frings is a proud player and played at the highest levels on winning teams. Who said Frings wants to come back? I have not heard that Frings has directly said he wants to come back. I have only heard PM say that which may be a bit dubious. Maybe Frings is looking at his options. So we may have 1 DP position open and Lopez fits the right age bracket that Payne is looking for. Maybe others have a more definitive idea of what is happening with Frings?
    Mariner calling anybody on the team out in public is bad form IMO no matter what the circumstance.

To answer your other point Frings spoke at the end of the season party and said that he wants to and plans to come back and give us a better season in 2013. I don't recall his exact words but that is what he essentially said. Now whether he was just appeasing the crowd or not who knows but he did in fact say it himself that he wants to come back. I am sure he is always looking at his options though as well just like anyone would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it really strange that Mariner has not been in contact with our new CB that we picked up in the lottery a few weeks ago. You would think he would contact him and say welcome aboard, but that makes sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    I find it really strange that Mariner has not been in contact with our new CB that we picked up in the lottery a few weeks ago. You would think he would contact him and say welcome aboard, but that makes sense.
    There hasn't been anything from any of the new acquisitions that I've seen. Califf had a little interview with Larson, and Braun told TFC how he started in MLS... I think that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    LOL.

Although it's the Honduran league, his career numbers are staggering, and he's only 20 years old...

58 appearances (league/CCL), 22 goals, 37 assists
    (off wikipedia) "He also provided 3 goals and 2 assists in Olimpia's 2012-13 CONCACAF Champions League campaign...";

now look up the CCL games this past year and find how many times he scored a goal...he only played in one of the four CCL games, he started, played 70 minutes and Olimpia's only goal scored when he was on the pitch was from a FK (scored by someone else)...so, I smell bullshit on all these stats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be possible that TFC will trade their first round pick for international slot and huge amount of allocation money so they can sign Lopez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Steve Goff's twitter:

Steven Goff@SoccerInsiderBrit tabloid report that QPR's Ryan Nelsen is joining D.C. United coaching staff is "100 percent" not true, Ben Olsen says #dcu#mls

Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsiderDon't be surprised if Ryan Nelsen ends up at Toronto FC. Kevin Payne loves Nellie. #tfc #mls

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    From Steve Goff's twitter:

Steven Goff@SoccerInsiderBrit tabloid report that QPR's Ryan Nelsen is joining D.C. United coaching staff is "100 percent" not true, Ben Olsen says #dcu#mls

Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsiderDon't be surprised if Ryan Nelsen ends up at Toronto FC. Kevin Payne loves Nellie. #tfc #mls
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ut-as-a-coach/

"More likely, however, is that Nelsen would begin his coaching days as an assistant, perhaps to Paul Mariner at Toronto. There, he could be groomed as an eventual replacement, allowing Mariner to return to the front office position he held prior to replacing failed Dutch coach Aron Winter."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Nelsen > Danny Califf as short term CB. just saying. make Nelsen a player/coach for one year, with full time assistant coach job next season

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Nelsen > Danny Califf as short term CB. just saying. make Nelsen a player/coach for one year, with full time assistant coach job next season
    I would agree with this, but after already signing Califf that ship has already sailed, no?

Dropping Califf to #3 CB means dropping one of Henry or Boss to #5 CB - not ideal.

I still think Nelson would be a great addition even solely as a coach.
    He could work closely with Henry & Boss (as well as O'Dea), improving the future of our backline.

EDIT: If Califf (or O'Dea) pick up a long-term injury (knock on wood) could we then convert Nelson from Ass. Coach to Player/Coach role?
    Might be good insurance for an aging Califf.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 01-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    I would agree with this, but after already signing Califf that ship has already sailed, no?

Dropping Califf to #3 CB means dropping one of Henry or Boss to #5 CB - not ideal.
    Henry can continue his development at RB as back up for Ecks. Push Hall to back up LB/DM.

I'm not opposed to Henry and/or Boss going on loan. I think Henry would be a good fit for Edmonton. And for Boss? I'm sure he'd love to play at Rochester, his hometown.

I still think Nelson would be a great addition even solely as a coach.
    He could work closely with Henry & Boss (as well as O'Dea), improving the future of our backline.

EDIT: If Califf (or O'Dea) pick up a long-term injury (knock on wood) could we then convert Nelson from Ass. Coach to Player/Coach role?
    Might be good insurance for an aging Califf.
    I don't disagree.

And Onstad came out of retirement for few games to be back up GK for DC last season

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems awkward to be discussing a surplus of quality CBs on a TFC roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God it just keeps getting better Nelsen coming on as a player-coach & possibly a full time experienced coach in the future. That would 100% shore up our defense for the season, then we could focus on midfield and forward problems. Which are already starting to be addressed with the draft & Peralta/Lopez. Can't wait for Montreal as it is. I'm trying not to get excited.