Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed. He gets a lot of flack around here because of Mariner's infamous "one of the best finishers of the modern era" quote.
    I would agree with that. I think if Mariner had said that Wiedemann was "a decent depth player" then we wouldn't even care that he is being resigned. But the fact that Mariner said something stupid has stuck to the player like shit, and now we just smell the shit instead of look at the player!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's football. Anelka is in China; Grafite is in Dubai or some place. They'll go ANYWHERE if the Benjamins are significant enough.
    Of course, but again, it doesn't deny there's cultural negativity towards Canada with Americans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    I approached them, so I don't think they are trying to quash anything.

Bocanegra didn't turn TFC down. He was in active talks but they couldn't make the money work. I was talking to Ives yesterday and he reiterated that to me.

Duane Rollins
    Thanks for posting that here.

Re Bocanegra, OK.

Re Portland trade, we haven't got enough to be able to have an opinion. If they pass on Diskerud, I'm hopeful you and others will press them as to exactly why we didn't just take one of the best prospects to come into the league via allocation ever
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    TRe Portland trade, we haven't got enough to be able to have an opinion. If they pass on Diskerud, I'm hopeful you and others will press them as to exactly why we didn't just take one of the best prospects to come into the league via allocation ever
    Because we wouldn't have pulled off the Portland trade with the 3rd overall pick and allocation otherwise. Again I say, people on here highly value first round picks, moreso than DPs, so then doing a handshake agreement to pass on a player who may or may not pan out seems like a logical move for that 3rd overall pick, a solid back up GK, and the allocation, along with RJ and Kocic going the other way of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is ready to get excited??

Enrique Lanza

@kikelanza10

l Ya hubo platicas de Amado Guevara con el Toronto FC. Aun mas tambien tiene una oferta del Cosmo de NY en la Segunda Division de los EEUU.

He's old these days, but I doubt those spot kicks have changed much and if Blanco could do it at 38, I think he has a similar quality.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guevara will be 37 next season. Don't need no old geezers for part time player. no thanks
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have selected Danny Calliff. Decent but I wonder how much he makes?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Second stage so we will negotiate now...
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    made 275k this season. but let's see if TFC can negotiate him down to about 175k
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    made 275k this season. but let's see if TFC can negotiate him down to about 175k
    Ha. With Marquez gone, maybe TFC can make their backline twice as expensive as all other teams in MLS. Morgan still too inexpensive though. We need some over-paid LB to replace him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official, J. Hall & Wiedeman both re-signed. http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/12...an-return-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Of course, but again, it doesn't deny there's cultural negativity towards Canada with Americans.
    There's a cultural negativity between everyone, everywhere. It's part of our subconscious survival instinct. People in Canada think Americans hate them; people in America think everyone hates them. To a degree, everything is true in society.

On the most, the majority of people in the majority of countries are too worried about their own backyard to give much of a shit about anyone else's. I've lived around the world; xenophobics are always a minority, but always the loudest people. In a place like the U.S., where repetition and the transmission of informational detritus serve as a greater distraction for a variety of reasons, they're just a little louder, that's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider Toronto FC had reached a new contract agreement with Danny Califf before #mls re-entry draft even took place, I'm told

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amado Guevara rumoured to be returning to Toronto FC

Saw this little tidbit in the news and on the Twittersphere today.

"Inicio en enero si Dios quiere , porque es otra etapa y me tengo que preparar bien. Todo lo vamos a manejar en su debido tiempo. La idea es aprovechar con los entrenadores de la MLS como el profesor Bruce Arenas o con el equipo Toronto o con New York", afirmó.
    I threw it in google translate for those who don't know Spanish.

"Starting in January, God willing, because it is another step and I have to prepare well. Whatever we manage it in due time. The idea is to take advantage of the MLS coaches like Professor Bruce Arenas or Toronto or equipment with New York, "he said.
    He's saying he wants to prepare for a return to MLS in January and possibly sign for Toronto FC, the Galaxy or The New York Cosmos, not the Red Bulls.

Here's the source: http://diez.hn/Ediciones/2012/12/12/...r#.UMuVdqWfM_t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's a cultural negativity between everyone, everywhere. It's part of our subconscious survival instinct. People in Canada think Americans hate them; people in America think everyone hates them. To a degree, everything is true in society.

On the most, the majority of people in the majority of countries are too worried about their own backyard to give much of a shit about anyone else's. I've lived around the world; xenophobics are always a minority, but always the loudest people. In a place like the U.S., where repetition and the transmission of informational detritus serve as a greater distraction for a variety of reasons, they're just a little louder, that's all.
    I work for an American business, with Americans.
    MLB American athletes only ever come to Toronto when big money is involved.
    NBA American athletes avoid Toronto like the fucking plague.

I think? No. I simply see and comment on what I see.

When an American athlete thinks about playing in Canada, I would be sure that for many of them, the first thought is "inferior"

Agree to disagree I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider Toronto FC had reached a new contract agreement with Danny Califf before #mls re-entry draft even took place, I'm told
    Quite surprised, I assume the comments about him wanting to avoid Toronto may have been exaggerated if he was willing to work it out before hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I work for an American business, with Americans.
    MLB American athletes only ever come to Toronto when big money is involved.
    NBA American athletes avoid Toronto like the fucking plague.

I think? No. I simply see and comment on what I see.

When an American athlete thinks about playing in Canada, I would be sure that for many of them, the first thought is "inferior"

Agree to disagree I guess.
    word of mouth is the best persuader. some Americans have good experience with Canada. some don't. for TFC, there are guys like Jacob Peterson who didn't like Toronto (though more to do with TFC FO than anything else). but a lot of MLS players are friends or teammates with guys who have played in Canada.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Supposedly he's already agreed to a deal with TFC and is telling people he "Can't wait to come North"

- as per Neil Davidson of CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually don't mind seeing Hall and Wiedeman come back. Yes they both suck. But for an extremely cheap salary for both I wouldn't mind having Hall playing backup RB and wiedeman playing backup LM or RM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiedeman has value as a depth striker, but he's useless in midfield. Just useless. Speaks to Mariner's tactical ignorance and just general incompetence that he'd sign a player he thinks is "one of the best finishers in the modern era" and then stick him at right midfield.

He scored two goals for us, both simple enough inside the box (one toe poke/deflection, one side foot on a 1-on-1). Bring him in off the bench when we need a goal and bodies in the box and he could be useful.

As for Hall, only reason we re-signed him must be because he's versatile. If he couldn't play either side of defense or midfield he'd be gone because he can't defend 1-on-1 worth a damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely Payne's influence brought Califf here. If he made the comment earlier, I'm going to assume that was because of who was in charge and not with regard to the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Danny Califf I bet Kevin Payne had alot of influence remember Kevin Payne is involved with Soccer America and Califf has played for the US National team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You took the words out of my mouth You are bang on for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Most likely Payne's influence brought Califf here. If he made the comment earlier, I'm going to assume that was because of who was in charge and not with regard to the city.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. I think Califf's on decline since his Philly days. He's lost a lot of step and now tries to be overly aggressive to make up for it. I'd be happy with Califf as 3rd CB but not a starter

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

califf officially signed as per tfc website now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's official as per team's twitter... Califf has signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Califf will add leadership and sandpaper to our backline. Solid signing if the contract is reasonable.

On another note, I'm loving the Guevara rumors. Granted, he's a bit longer in the tooth now, but he would still add some much needed attacking flair and creativity to our midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh god people are actually ok with wiedeman? I don't care about Mariner's quote, just look at how he plays. The guy was a give away machine, and had no tactical awareness. We can't rely on players like him in the starting 11 or coming off the bench. I swear we are so used to seeing crap we just accept anybody no matter how bad. If u want to move up the standings resigning poor players like Hall and Wiedeman isn't a good start and i also gotta say, was never a fan of Califf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem with what Califf said about Toronto. If you had a choice to go anywhere in the mls during the season last year, wouldn't Toronto be at the bottom of your list too? We really, really sucked.

With a clean slate, this might now be his best option to keep his career on the right track. He can be a solid contributor to a team that has no where to go but up. With a rabid and starved fan base. Hopefully he fits in well.