View Poll Results: What would you do with JDG?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Petition for a 4th DP slot or try and vacate one to retain him as DP

1 0.56%
  • Sign him at a pay rate of 200K-300K (assuming he would)

82 45.81%
  • Sign him at a pay rate of 100K-200K (assuming he would)

58 32.40%
  • I would not resign him at any wage.

38 21.23%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JDG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    lightyears better than Dunfield - i'd happily have JDG at $300K
    What????? You'd make him the HIGHEST PAID DM in the league....Seriously??? I hope that was a joke!!! LOL!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    What????? You'd make him the HIGHEST PAID DM in the league....Seriously??? I hope that was a joke!!! LOL!
    I'm not sure why you find that funny... 1/2 off those polled think he should be paid in the $200k-$300k range. I'm not thinking that he should be paid $300k... but it means backbeat's opinion is hardly unusual...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find JDG is enough of a difference-maker to deserve more than $200k.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    I'm sure at 2million a season he's already the highest paid DM in the league!

I'm assuming somebody was confusing the post with Dunfield, and not JDG at 300k a season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He might be looking for higher pay cheque to fix his Lamborghini :-)

http://instagram.com/p/MooAnKifmz/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty i think JDG should play in Mexico next year, he plays so much better when facing Mexican teams. I think his value there is a lot higher than in the MLS, he cant seem to find a good groove in this league but every time we face Mexican opposition he is amazing and i dont think that is a coincidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In all honesty i think JDG should play in Mexico next year, he plays so much better when facing Mexican teams. I think his value there is a lot higher than in the MLS, he cant seem to find a good groove in this league but every time we face Mexican opposition he is amazing and i dont think that is a coincidence.
    Same with Plata. Thers's something about the way latin teams play that allows some players to do well against them but not against American teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep him if it's gonna cost us under 250'000. I think people opinion of him will improve once he's not making 7 figurs a year. He is still a great player and on of the best midfielders to ever wear our crest!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    He might be looking for higher pay cheque to fix his Lamborghini :-)

http://instagram.com/p/MooAnKifmz/
    That's hilarious. From when is that picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't even think of that, I bet he could pull a decent wage playing down there post TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Comments were from today - so I'm guessing recent.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Guzmán, in my opinion, has been a fiasco and a half.

He came with a lot of hype, and he just isn't that good. Remove his salary from the conversation, it isn't my money. What is my concern is that that DP spot could be used for someone who can make a real difference.

Keeping him as a non-DP would be a bad idea because he will hold a grudge against us, I would if I were him. My salary gets slashed to 20% of what it was, yeah .... I'd be pretty cheesed.

Keeping him as a DP just isn't an option .... I'd like to think we can do better.

Best thing for both parties is to allow him to test the free agent market.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

He came with a lot of hype, and he just isn't that good. Remove his salary from the conversation, it isn't my money. What is my concern is that that DP spot could be used for someone who can make a real difference.

Keeping him as a non-DP would be a bad idea because he will hold a grudge against us, I would if I were him. My salary gets slashed to 20% of what it was, yeah .... I'd be pretty cheesed.

Keeping him as a DP just isn't an option .... I'd like to think we can do better.

He is not only the highest paid DM in the league, he is the highest paid SUB in the league and quite possiblly the worst signing in the history of the club. The money he earned these past few years could have been better spent upgrading the depth on this team. Now that the club is playing better, when all the pressure of making the playoffs are realistically over, this bum still sits on the bench to start most games. He should be dropped from the team, mlse can easily afford to buy him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[X] Petition him to pay back the money he stole from you guys

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-06-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: off topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats because julian style of play is indirect which is anti-mls(direct) football. And one of the other reason a less technical but more direct dunfield has taking his spot in the team.

central/south america is his best bet if he doesnt drastically reduce his wages with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't we just replace him with a space hopper? I'm sure we would get a similar performance at a fraction of the price. The team could just kick the ball off it and try and figure out which way it will bounce which isnt much different than we have now. Space hopper would probably not jump out of the way at free kicks either. But then again a space hopper can't shoot. Oh.... right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The picture is from One Restaurant at Yorkville.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

But here's the thing guys. We all tend to think that MLS' cap is just like the NHL or other leagues. A set of rules that are followed.

However, it is more than possible for JDG to be resigned to a salary of over $500k, have a cap hit of just $335k and have a non DP status.

DeRo resigned for $700k (approx), counts $335 against DC's cap and is not a DP. There are more exceptions across the league.

When the league makes allocation money available for "circumstances as deemed appropriate by the competition committee" (their words not mine) and the competition committee IS the league and they never disclose the amounts given.... Anything is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to JDG, the team was put on his shoulders and it was unrealistic for us to expect him to lift the team by himself and here is why:

At Deportivo, he was the DM who would play simple passes and run his arse off in the field to get the ball back for the more offensive players to start the attack.

He was expected to play as a box to box midfielder, a jack of all trades, like Kyle Beckerman, who is a the best CM in the league IMHO.

Now that we have Frings, who is a more technically gifted passer, JDG is on the bench.

He has lost the pace that made him useful at Deportivo and looks second best in most challenges, if we re-sign him its because he will be a utility bench player who can mentor the next crop of players, and can eventually have a coaching role at the academy. Im not of the opinion of discarding old players, specially those loyal to the club and the city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take him if he re-signed between $100k-200k, but other than that I'd let him walk. He occasionally shows flashes of what we hoped he'd be, but is otherwise wildly inconsistent, and we need better than that from an MLS player making over $200k (let alone from an MLS designated player making nearly $2 million dollars).

I was happy when we signed him, and held out the hope that he would eventually get it together. But I also don't think there's any question he has failed.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan = playing for SWANSEA in the EPL.
    Julian = GONE BY THE END OF THE WEEK. confirmed.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Swans seal De Guzman loanSwansea have signed Jonathan de Guzman on a season-long loan from Villarreal to follow up the capture of Jose Manuel Flores.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    LOL - who talks like that ?

Picture taken by Eric Avila - gold.

I hope the driver of the other car took the opportunity to rake JDG over the coals about what a complete waste of money he's been since turning up on our doorstep.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed by whom*?

(*to carry on the shakespearian style vocab!).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Confirmed by whom*?

(*to carry on the shakespearian style vocab!).
    Confirmed by His Brother, he just called me to break the news. he will probably play tomorrow, but. . . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed by His Brother, he just called me to break the news. he will probably play tomorrow, but. . . . .
    I'll wait on official news about that....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. From 6 hours ago:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro JDG says he has recently started prelim talks with ‪#TFC over new contract. Days his preference is to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Interesting. From 6 hours ago:

John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro JDG says he has recently started prelim talks with ‪#TFC over new contract. Days his preference is to stay.
    Lol of course he wants to stay. Maybe he thinks this regime is still as dumb as Mo, who knows maybe they will give him another million per year.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he says he wants to stay. At what price is the question? We'll see how serious he was by end of week. He sees how different his bargaining situation is since he signed.

Ugh. Now I might see JDG2 play in the prem? Blast..
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I think that JDG can provide much more to the team if he ever decides to play to his potential rather than mailing it in, it might be interesting to figure out how he rates compared to some of the other DM's weve had over the years;

Frings>Robbo>Cronin(now)>JDG>Sanyang

So on a sliding scale, I would re-sign him for what San Jose is paying Cronin.