Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I never once refered to myself as ultra, "european ultras" have no place in north america.

this term was placed on us by alot of the people around here,example #1 (OOOOOOOltra) we are just trying to bring the style of support that WE grew up watching.

we do not engage in battling security or police or other supporters,

we simply bring a european style of support in the stands, it does not mean that we are trying to replicate old world style or anything like that.

as a child i would have tapes sent to me from italy so i could watch matches almost a week after they occured, it was the only way to see them play, over the years i fell in love with "euro style stadium support" , so that is what i know and bring with me to every match.

When the team is down, you build them up, when they are up you raise them higher, i give as much effort as i feel the players should- 90 minutes
    This is what we should strive for. The kind of support that London describes is what we need to be striving for. We should bot be putting anyone down for supporting the team in their way. This is the downfall of living in a multicultural society. People will be doing things differently. People need ti stop thinking their style of support is better than the other. Personally, I try to do what London describes. I am pro smoke but since it is illegal, I won't be lighting anything. I just hate how divisive people are doing right now. We all support TFC so why all this hate towards each other?
    Last edited by David_Oliveira; 04-09-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to add London's Quote

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with what Furts is suggesting.

Imagine if we did up a huge TIFO with red glowsticks... go to yer dollar store and buy up all the red glow sticks.. etc. That would be both awesome and within regulations.

Sure, we're not all brandishing flamethrowers, but as cool as that might look on TV or sound in theory, I'm not sure I'd want to be part of it.

Anway, surely glow sticks are part of Nultra Culture ?
    Glowsticks have actually been tried before (season 2?) and didn't go over very well. For one they are not very visible under the lights of the stadium. Secondly they were put on a rope, so people would not end up throwing them on the field, limiting any mobility with them (I don't recall if this was a stipulation of the FO for using them, or something that was self implemented by the group). In the end they had little to no effect during the game. Good experiment, no result.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    With respect to those who organize the dispensation of tickets, I think that the GA problem can be mostly fixed with just a little more planning.

As a member of the banner team and one of those people who consistently wave the larger flags I know that we need to be in key positions in the crowd to a) maximize effect and b) be able to wave the flags in a way that disrupts the sightlines of the fewest people. If, for games that at stipulated as non-GA, we can allocate the seats to the flag wavers and those setting up the displays in such a way that they don't have 'invade' someone else's seat, I think we solve some of the problem.

Perhaps we can get Fort York Redcoat to work with the ticket folks to get at least some of that ironed out before the tickets are sent. It is a huge ask and will not solve the problem completely, but it will be a good start.

My seats were way back there and I was one the 'invaders' because I found an good area for waving that had no one in it. If this was planned out ahead of time it would avoid any possible friction.

Finally, please don't suggest that anyone can wave the flags. There are rules and respect needed that most people forget in their haze of whatever. We've had that debate before.

Just a thought.
    This is something that is best left to distribution staying simple and letting common sense apply. This is usually how things work naturally. The most specific the ticket team should get is whether they use the top of the pile or the bottom. This situation, for this game, all the complaints should be aimed at Impact FO. While I appreciate their co-operation on the day (security did a good job considering how bad it could have been) it was there lack of leniency on GA that forced the discussion we're having.

If we were left to our own devices it would have worked organically that those who didn't want to be active could move back or as close to the action as they wished and avoided burnt shirts. It was a real advantage to smoke bombers to be able to move around so freely since the support was spread out. I realize that was strategic. I think it took away from support on the day and it turned into a "supporters on tour" Once split, the drums were ineffectual.

It was a unique situation overall. We won't get those numbers to Montreal until they use the O for something more special than a regular season match.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-09-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Glowsticks have actually been tried before (season 2?) and didn't go over very well. For one they are not very visible under the lights of the stadium. Secondly they were put on a rope, so people would not end up throwing them on the field, limiting any mobility with them (I don't recall if this was a stipulation of the FO for using them, or something that was self implemented by the group). In the end they had little to no effect during the game. Good experiment, no result.
    Yup, I recall the attempt and it not working well at all. Visibility was a major issue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some handheld electric strobes that might actually look good if there were enough of them in a cluster and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So if not the glowstick idea then like I mentioned earlier, lets come up with something else. lets see what we have to work with and work around that. im sure there are other things that could be used. I cannot think of any off the top of my head but, if we got together and had a brainstorm im sure we could come up with something. there are some creative people in this group and that's awesome, lets use that to our advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCF1908 View Post
    There are some handheld electric strobes that might actually look good if there were enough of them in a cluster and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

i currently have 4 or 5 of them, to be honest they dont look too effective unless they are in smoke ( ohh the irony LOL)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    i currently have 4 or 5 of them, to be honest they dont look too effective unless they are in smoke ( ohh the irony LOL)

LOL, I know they are used in smoke, wasn't sure how they look without, wasn't going to bring up the smoke again hahahahahaha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

what about something with a shiny surface so that the sun reflects off it and it shows off well? if we had something like tin foil for example, that thing would stand out. maybe there's something thats similar to that we could use for like a display or something without blinding our players? i dont know im just trying to get the idea train a rolling.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    This is what we should strive for. The kind of support that London describes is what we need to be striving for. We should bot be putting anyone down for supporting the team in their way. This is the downfall of living in a multicultural society. People will be doing things differently. People need ti stop thinking their style of support is better than the other. Personally, I try to do what London describes. I am pro smoke but since it is illegal, I won't be lighting anything. I just hate how divisive people are doing right now. We all support TFC so why all this hate towards each other?
    Simply put David, the problem is a respect issue. People don't want to be forced into support one way or the other.

Here's the 2 extremes:

1. Don't tell me to sit down and shut up.
    2. Don't drop a flare or smoke, run away, and leave me to breath in your mess while you ruin my clothes.

GA helps with that but again, it was really only this game where the GA was in question.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First post in a bit... I was in MTL and frankly I was able to get to my seats. All I did was ask politely the dude who was sitting/standing/jumping in the area where my seat was to slide over a bit and he did. I did notice however people being more confrontational about it. Which is where I think the topic(Or what was the topic) of this thread comes in. General admittance et al. I've only been on a few away trips with TFC like MAYBE 5? or 6? but i've gone on many more with the club which shall not be named, and then until now GA has never been an issue. I like the way we do it where just go where ever as long as you're there to support. Or well how we used to do it? I don't think it'd have been such a big deal if peeps just asked to squeeze in just say "I don't mind if you stay but my seat is here just squeeze down a bit please..." No problem?

As for the sub topic which has started... I for one didn't mind the smoke and i was right in the midst of it. However I can understand some might find it and flares undesirable, They smell they can burn if you're unfortunate enough to be touched by one and they can sting the eyes, However i like it it adds something extra something special to the crowd. If done safely. Someone said that in Europe they hold them up which is true, I'd have no probs if the Adamzzzzzzz and fam held them up and whatever. Its against MLS rules but so is tossing rolls of streamers at players....
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most phones have a strobe option on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all the organizers who put in the time and effort to make these trips so memorable. I went a la carte, so even though I wouldn't normally switch seats i was in 255, the section over, beside 4 scarf wearing Montrealers. they were not too impressed to be so close to the TFC support. They were likely quite happy to see me move over into more 'friendly' seats. That said, i would have kept moving if I was in a seat where the ticket owners showed up.

toughest part of game was the point blank save on Koef - that kind of stuff fills one with what might have been's...

Highlights of support moments for me. The smiles between the security and police when they heard some of the chants and songs - esp 'All we are saying..'

By the way - the Porter sale, promo code sweet, ends today (i think)
    Montreal
    Boston
    New York
    Chicago
    DC ( May 19 long weekend-already booked for that one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O.K. I have given myself 48 hours to cool down and take stock of our experience in Montreal.

Let's start from the beginning.

Travel to the stadium via subway with all of us gathering in one spot away from the Montreal fans. Well done Montreal FO.

March to the stadium en masse. Incident free. Well done both sets of fans

Access into the stadium via one door. Good enough

Concession stands very busy to begin with. Oh well, no big problem for me.

General admission seemed to be the order of the day. Everyone that gets involved big time, all the time, seemed to congregate near the front of our sections, which is the norm for away games. To be expected.

My seats, 30 of us (12 of them under the age of 15) were in the 1rst 2 rows of 259. This worked out well for us as we were far enough away from the normally intense area at the front for us to enjoy the game without putting our kids into the thick of the action in the stands. Pekduck was aware of the kids with us, and if he 'put' us in at area, 'Thanks mate', as this is where we wanted to be.

Smoke bombs go off in our combined sections. First thoughts are we as a group are going to pay for that, and I hope no one gets hurt or there is no damage.

Second half starts and the Capo comes up to our section and parks himself and the drums right beside us. Hey no problem with that. Better acoustics for the drums, our section was really quite loud and involved. Whatever the reason, we just squished up a bit and made room for them and a few more people that came along with them.

Security were visible but quite subtle and from what I saw they went about their work without being heavy handed or in our faces.

Now I am entering into an incident that has me fuming. For the person who lit the smoke bomb off in the second row of Section 259, was it your intention to set it off and throw it in the direction of my wife and my 14 year old daughter? They both were completely unaware of what was happening, tried to move quickly and stumbled in the tight confines of our now busy section.

What if she fell? What if she fell on the smoke bomb? It would have scarred her without question. It left scorch marks on the concrete floor. Do you ever ask yourself how your actions will affect others. Particularly when you are the only ones who know what is about to happen? Can't you give any warning to those around you as to what is about to happen? Or even, just be a man with balls and stand there and hold it yourselves? Or even better, be a bigger man and fucking PM me with an apology, or even better, come up to me when you next see me and apologize in person for putting my wife and daughter in jepardy, just so you can behave in a particular way.

With all this security that was put in place, I didn't think that it would be our own fans (or supporters whatever you want to call yourselves) that would be the ones that my family had to be protected from.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    what about something with a shiny surface so that the sun reflects off it and it shows off well? if we had something like tin foil for example, that thing would stand out. maybe there's something thats similar to that we could use for like a display or something without blinding our players? i dont know im just trying to get the idea train a rolling.
    doves. flocks of doves.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wasn't in Montreal this weekend, but are the tickets in 112 distributed for the CMNT matches at BMO usually GA?

The problem I find is that when you have larger groups ie. Montreal/SkyDome matches where you people aren't on the boards you'll get more issues.

But as pointed out by many others, every road trip I've been on (TFC/CMNT) the seating has always been GA.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I wasn't in Montreal this weekend, but are the tickets in 112 distributed for the CMNT matches at BMO usually GA?

The problem I find is that when you have larger groups ie. Montreal/SkyDome matches where you people aren't on the boards you'll get more issues.

But as pointed out by many others, every road trip I've been on (TFC/CMNT) the seating has always been GA.
    It normally is, but the 8 page .pdf that Montreal sent us, and Pekduck buying all seats on his CC, Montreal FO demanded it not be GA. Seems their staff had no clue on this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It normally is, but the 8 page .pdf that Montreal sent us, and Pekduck buying all seats on his CC, Montreal FO demanded it not be GA. Seems their staff had no clue on this.
    It'd take an extraordinary amount of effort on securities part anywhere to make sure 1000+ people were in their proper seats. Especially when they arrive enmasse. I'd go as far to say it'd be unreasonable to ask them to do so.
    I just think this topic is blown way out of proportion, There was more problems at Skydome when our own supporters were fighting each other in my section than there was because of GA in MTL.
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Simply put David, the problem is a respect issue. People don't want to be forced into support one way or the other.

Here's the 2 extremes:

1. Don't tell me to sit down and shut up.
    2. Don't drop a flare or smoke, run away, and leave me to breath in your mess while you ruin my clothes.

GA helps with that but again, it was really only this game where the GA was in question.
    Why is it that people can't agree to disagree? People will support in different ways. I understand people don't want to be stuck in the smoke cloud or don't want to suffer any damages or injuries and that is perfectly fine. The pro smoke people want to light off the smoke and, if they are willing to suffer the consequences, that should be fine too. I think those that lit off the smoke should have let others around know about it. When flares and smoke have been lit in the past (ie. marches to BMO) people let others around know that it was going to happen. Can we just make this status quot going forward? IF you are going to light anything, you do it at your own risk and let people around you know. I think that this could be a major solution to this issue. People are going to do it no matter what (and will get punished if caught). We just need to find a solution so issues don't arise. A code of conduct needs to be established.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4evared View Post

Now I am entering into an incident that has me fuming. For the person who lit the smoke bomb off in the second row of Section 259, was it your intention to set it off and throw it in the direction of my wife and my 14 year old daughter? They both were completely unaware of what was happening, tried to move quickly and stumbled in the tight confines of our now busy section.

What if she fell? What if she fell on the smoke bomb? It would have scarred her without question. It left scorch marks on the concrete floor. Do you ever ask yourself how your actions will affect others. Particularly when you are the only ones who know what is about to happen? Can't you give any warning to those around you as to what is about to happen? Or even, just be a man with balls and stand there and hold it yourselves? Or even better, be a bigger man and fucking PM me with an apology, or even better, come up to me when you next see me and apologize in person for putting my wife and daughter in jepardy, just so you can behave in a particular way.

With all this security that was put in place, I didn't think that it would be our own fans (or supporters whatever you want to call yourselves) that would be the ones that my family had to be protected from.
    I've watched the progression of this drop and run mindset and I hope those responsible see what can happen

It's come to this where the decision to watch football the way you want was taken from you. I'm sorry for that. I can only say that next time we can try to make it more safe and the different support more segregated.

^This kind of story is not worth it.

The hard work on banners looked great and IMO that one decision just tainted the whole display aspect of the game.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ok.

Carry on.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we just make this status quot going forward? IF you are going to light anything, you do it at your own risk and let people around you know. I think that this could be a major solution to this issue. People are going to do it no matter what (and will get punished if caught). We just need to find a solution so issues don't arise. A code of conduct needs to be established.
    Lighting flares and smoke is illegal in our stadium. If one were to announce their intentions that is unwanted accountability. Risking harm upon others should never be an option to avoid responsibility for ones actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it is illegal to be intoxicated in public in every jurisdiction in Canada. Are you suggesting the RPB follows that to a tee? I bet a pound to a penny you're not.

So then where is the line actually drawn?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart.mac View Post
    Being drunk will only get you punished
    Throwing smoke bombs will get the entire support punished.

See the difference?

just saying... i havent seen a beer guy in the stands in like, 3 years...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfan2011 View Post
    just saying... i havent seen a beer guy in the stands in like, 3 years...
    but in Montreal there were lots, right up to the 90th minute. Small beers and they were expensive, but they were available all game, you could have got hammered if you chose to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it that people can't agree to disagree? People will support in different ways. I understand people don't want to be stuck in the smoke cloud or don't want to suffer any damages or injuries and that is perfectly fine. The pro smoke people want to light off the smoke and, if they are willing to suffer the consequences, that should be fine too. I think those that lit off the smoke should have let others around know about it. When flares and smoke have been lit in the past (ie. marches to BMO) people let others around know that it was going to happen. Can we just make this status quot going forward? IF you are going to light anything, you do it at your own risk and let people around you know. I think that this could be a major solution to this issue. People are going to do it no matter what (and will get punished if caught). We just need to find a solution so issues don't arise. A code of conduct needs to be established.

i think this is an overly optimistic outlook. you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would look around and ask everyone, and still.. what if someone said no? they went through all of the trouble of bringing it in there, i don't picture them moving a few times or just tucking it away for the next match. on top of that, you'd pretty much be asking everyone around you if they would mind you doing something that will get you banned from BMO, i doubt people would be that quick to identify themselve potentially hurting anyone around you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you serious? Even after what you read in my post, you are still willing to put other fans at risk of injury and property damage?
    There is a code of conduct in place. No flares or smoke bombs, certainly at BMO and in Montreal.

Why don't you hold it in your own hands if a code of conduct needs to be established. Then you will also be punished also. Win win situation as far as I am concerned.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O.K. I have given myself 48 hours to cool down and take stock of our experience in Montreal.

Let's start from the beginning.

Travel to the stadium via subway with all of us gathering in one spot away from the Montreal fans. Well done Montreal FO.

March to the stadium en masse. Incident free. Well done both sets of fans

Access into the stadium via one door. Good enough

Concession stands very busy to begin with. Oh well, no big problem for me.

General admission seemed to be the order of the day. Everyone that gets involved big time, all the time, seemed to congregate near the front of our sections, which is the norm for away games. To be expected.

My seats, 30 of us (12 of them under the age of 15) were in the 1rst 2 rows of 259. This worked out well for us as we were far enough away from the normally intense area at the front for us to enjoy the game without putting our kids into the thick of the action in the stands. Pekduck was aware of the kids with us, and if he 'put' us in at area, 'Thanks mate', as this is where we wanted to be.

Smoke bombs go off in our combined sections. First thoughts are we as a group are going to pay for that, and I hope no one gets hurt or there is no damage.

Second half starts and the Capo comes up to our section and parks himself and the drums right beside us. Hey no problem with that. Better acoustics for the drums, our section was really quite loud and involved. Whatever the reason, we just squished up a bit and made room for them and a few more people that came along with them.

Security were visible but quite subtle and from what I saw they went about their work without being heavy handed or in our faces.

Sorry to hear that bro. As someone who is a fervent supporter and gives his all each and every game, you have earned respect and you deserve someone answer for this.

I am staying away from this topic in general because I wasn't there and I am relatively neutral on the topic of smokes and flares. I like em, but I don't believe they should be used indiscriminantly. I had some ideas on how to solve this problem but it's no longer up to me to figure out this mess since I am not part of the group anymore. But the one opinion I do have is that if someone IS going to use smoke/flares, then man up, don't be a pussy by throwing it indisciminantly into a crowd of unsuspecting people. If you're "brave" enough to light on, be brave enough to hold it yourself or plant it at your own feet. And the rest of the travellers should hold these assholes accountable. Leaving it up to security to figure things out won't happen, all they will do is come down on all travelling support in general. The actions of a few retards shouldn't negatively affect the entire support base.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you serious? Even after what you read in my post, you are still willing to put other fans at risk of injury and property damage?
    There is a code of conduct in place. No flares or smoke bombs, certainly at BMO and in Montreal.

Why don't you hold it in your own hands if a code of conduct needs to be established. Then you will also be punished also. Win win situation as far as I am concerned.
    If you read my posts earlier, I stated that I like them but since it is illigal, I don't find a place for them. Some people will do it, just like tailgating and drinking in public. I am truly sorry about your experience but I just don't think that people will just stop using them. I agree that these people must be willing to be held accountable for their choice to light them.
    Please don't take offense to my post I, pretty much agree with you except I know that people will still light them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Roogsy for your post,

Supporting TFC and being part of the RPB has become of a very important and quite frankly a very enjoyable part of my life. Being able to share that with my family makes it even better.

Someone has messaged me with an apology as to what happened even though he did not light the smoke bomb, he inadvertently directed it in my direction after it landed by him from behind. Glad to see that someone has got some balls around here.

I still do not know who it was that threw it in the first place, but I can assure you that as a husband and a father, if anyone puts my family in danger in a setting that is supposed to safe and fun they will have to answer to their actions.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Sorry to hear that bro. As someone who is a fervent supporter and gives his all each and every game, you have earned respect and you deserve someone answer for this.

I am staying away from this topic in general because I wasn't there and I am relatively neutral on the topic of smokes and flares. I like em, but I don't believe they should be used indiscriminantly. I had some ideas on how to solve this problem but it's no longer up to me to figure out this mess since I am not part of the group anymore. But the one opinion I do have is that if someone IS going to use smoke/flares, then man up, don't be a pussy by throwing it indisciminantly into a crowd of unsuspecting people. If you're "brave" enough to light on, be brave enough to hold it yourself or plant it at your own feet. And the rest of the travellers should hold these assholes accountable. Leaving it up to security to figure things out won't happen, all they will do is come down on all travelling support in general. The actions of a few retards shouldn't negatively affect the entire support base.
    QFT !
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !