Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand why some would see this as a DeRo fail. But it takes two sides (at least) to make a trade. DC obviously think they are getting something of value or they wouldn't have given up McCarty (who still has upside in terms of his development). So this is as much about what DC wanted, as what NYRB didn't want. DeRo still has value in this league. If there's to be any judgement on DeRo it's what he does with DC by seasons-end that should be the real determinant, not how often he is traded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    6 goals? Not bad? Chad Barrett had 7 last year. Just saying.
    And Chad Barrett plays striker while Dero is usually deployed as an attacking midfielder. When Dero was playing Striker, he hit rate was better than Barrett's.

David Ferreira had 8 and 13 the year he won MVP.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-28-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    and you joke, but don't forget that dero used to look like this:

i'll also just leave this here:

ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa this killed me...
    i remember the day i got his Houston Dynamo card in the mail i was so excited...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And Chad Barrett plays striker while Dero is usually deployed as an attacking midfielder. When Dero was playing Striker, he hit rate was better than Barrett's.

David Ferreira had 8 and 13 the year he won MVP.
    the real question is, why are we extrapolating 2 penalty kicks into 6 league goals

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    the real question is, why are we extrapolating 2 penalty kicks into 6 league goals
    i didn't want to say it, but i was thinking the exact same thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i didn't want to say it, but i was thinking the exact same thing..
    Aren't all DeRo's stats extrapolated, magnified and massaged so the make him look like the bestest player in all of history?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Yes they do, yes they are and ... I don't know how to read your last question. But it still doesn't undermine what I said earlier: NYRB thought DeRo would fit and was what was needed. He didn't, and isn't, so he's gone. And it took them just a few months to realize that.
    You verbally acknowledge NYs struggles at defense but you don't account for it when you consider why NY made the trade. Instead you make up a rationalization about him not fitting and yet NYs offence was the most potent since DeRo arrived. The facts simply don't support your assertion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also have to wait to see the other shoe drop though and see who they bring in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Also have to wait to see the other shoe drop though and see who they bring in.
    I don't think it's going to matter though. They would have been better keeping dero and trying to win with offense. There is no way NYRB are winning anything with that defense.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see where DeRo will end after this season is finished,DC won't give him DP money for sure.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Does De Rosario take an international spot? That might be another reason for this move. Not sure about NYRB situation in that regard.
    Nope. He has a his green card, or whatever it takes for him to be considered domestic in the US.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    It will be interesting to see where DeRo will end after this season is finished,DC won't give him DP money for sure.
    And since the DP tag was only an issue in Toronto, that won't be an issue anywhere else in the league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

outside of NY and DC, the "why" is never really to be answered.

The objective part of this is somewhere between Tchani, Borman and a 1st round pick, DeRo's value has dropped to that of McCarty. A player with upside who has trouble staying in a poor line up.

His stock has dropped and Winter deserves two thumbs up for not caving to public pressure and overpaying for a declining asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Interesting tweet from Portland. With the latest DeRo trade, the Timbers will face DeRo in three different uniforms this year.
    And Vancouver I think as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Roogsy, re: page 5

I'm not calling it a dump. You simply asserted that there were no contract talks and I highlighted in a direct quote from Soler that there were.

Obviously a lot of variables come into play when contemplating a trade. Current needs, available talent, asking price, and contract terms.

Whether these talks played a small or big role, who knows. One factor of many perhaps. In the end, NY considered him expendable 3 months after making the deal with Toronto. .
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Are you so certain of that? DC United is the only club, as far as I can tell, that has given Designated Player contracts to players who made a name for themselves in MLS and stayed in the league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Branko Boskovic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I really wonder about whether you even try to see the other side Pookie.
    Most. Ironic. Post. Ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Branko Boskovic?
    lol well played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogs, honest question.

Why was the DP request dropped after Toronto? Was he determining his value based on the players around him and felt that in TO he deserved it but in NY he was well suited at his current deal? Or was it more 'wait until the season is over'?

Edit: Tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As per @KristianRDyer

Soler also conceded that this was a move to shore up the team's defensive posture and bring in a player to work alongside Teemu Tainio.
    Somebody call up Dyer and tell him he's got it wrong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I'm not calling it a dump. You simply asserted that there were no contract talks and I highlighted in a direct quote from Soler that there were.

Actually you quoted something where they said they intended to have discussion, not that they actually had them. Can you find a quote where they actually indicate that negotiations had started at all?

Expendable? Or usable? The use of your word indicates an opinion not a fact. Fundamentally, all players are "expendable". It's a matter of what you get back in return. Most of us consider this term to be less accurate than the less judgemental "asset". NY got an asset in return for trading an asset. That's business. That's sports. And neither prove your points about DeRo either failing in NY or being traded because he was not useful or because of contract negotiations going poorly. In fact, Soler goes on to state that they've been looking to bring in McCarty since he was in Dallas. They've obviously been after him a while and valued him. If DC knew that, they were going to ask for value in return, severely crippling any argument in this thread that this trade reflects an poor opinion of DeRo in NY.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 06-28-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Are you so certain of that? DC United is the only club, as far as I can tell, that has given Designated Player contracts to players who made a name for themselves in MLS and stayed in the league.
    You mean the same DC United that traded away the heart and soul of their team (and former league MVP) Christian Gomez because they didn't feel the 33 yo midfielder was worth DP money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great. He's gotta pack his bags and his family up again. Atleast he goes to a club with some decent fans this time. Joooournnneyman.... You're just a fucking Joooooureynman....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all comes down to ego.
    De Rosario can't handle being "underpayed" - he's not by the way - at Toronto FC
    De Rosario can't handle being overshadowed at New York - and still "underpayed"
    What's going to happen in DC? Hmmm... :/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    It all comes down to ego.
    De Rosario can't handle being "underpayed" - he's not by the way - at Toronto FC
    De Rosario can't handle being overshadowed at New York - and still "underpayed"
    What's going to happen in DC? Hmmm... :/

So you're saying he asked for the trade?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously can't believe there are some people making more out of this then there is.

Straight up trade by two clubs looking to tailor their rosters to their needs. It's like trading hockey cards - got 'em, got 'em, got 'em, need 'em ... hey wanna trade? Yup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty serious fall in value. Just to remind everyone, McCarthy wasn't protected by Dallas last November, and went to Portland in the expansion draft.

Also I find NY's sudden need for a DM kind of funny. They traded a pretty good one away for Dero 3 months ago! Personally, I would not trade Tchani for McCarthy.

I have been pretty critical of WinterMariner, but they deserve praise today. NY's FO really look like chumps.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Seriously can't believe there are some people making more out of this then there is.

Straight up trade by two clubs looking to tailor their rosters to their needs. It's like trading hockey cards - got 'em, got 'em, got 'em, need 'em ... hey wanna trade? Yup.

If you have this one let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is a pretty serious fall in value. Just to remind everyone, McCarthy wasn't protected by Dallas last November, and went to Portland in the expansion draft.

Also I find NY's sudden need for a DM kind of funny. They traded a pretty good one away for Dero 3 months ago! Personally, I would not trade Tchani for McCarthy.

I have been pretty critical of WinterMariner, but they deserve praise today. NY's FO really look like chumps.
    It's too bad DC released Julius James....