Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up some positives from yesterday...

okay, I'm going to step up and be that idiot who makes a positive thread after a shit-show of a game. Aside from that 90 minutes of pain, there were some good things yesterday. Here's mine:

- huge props to the tailgate crew and the KW Company for pulling off a kickass tailgate. The food was great (and hot) and people were starting to act like it's summertime. I know a bunch of people who needed tickets got hooked up, and a bunch of people who needed to get rid of tickets did it at minimal cost to help out RPBs. Good stuff all around.

- the raffle for the Frei jersey was a great success, and I'm happy to see that the guy who won it (okay, it was his girlfriend actually) was already wearing a Frei 'stop sign' shirt. It's great when someone who wins a prize really REALLY loves it. I just hope meeting with Frei after the match wasn't too rough a moment.

- like Always, Shoeless Joe's was super accommodating, even though we went just a hair over capacity. Thanks for being patient with the slower service, and with that prick working the door (oh wait... that was me). And to the guy who left without paying his tab WITH his small child with him..... "the bill was coming too slow" is not a reason to walk out. Next time it won't be me chasing you, it will be the real security guard. Also, thanks to Flush for helping me find that guy in such short notice. Props hombre.

- The people who run the TFC Academy games do something that TFC can't do - think on their feet! Instead of making a huge stink about the pyro that some people chose to light off, they were smart and moved all the TFC Academy supporters to the opposite side of the field, into the wasteland of old chairs where we could do our thing in peace. Smart move - I just wish TFC could roll with the punches like that. (not saying I want pyro at BMO, because I don't, but at least they addressed the issue in a smart way)

- a big NO thanks to the brutal security guard who almost rubber gloved Red Rat while bringing in the drum and them had the nerve to say "If you guys didn't bring in flares, we wouldn't have to be so strict". I ripped into him for that one, because it sure as hell wasn't Red Rat or myself doing that. Oh, and thanks to techNORB for bringing in all scotchy scotchy scotch and sharing it with me. Sharing is caring.

- thanks to all the people who waited patiently to get into Joe's for the CL final, and didn't act like crybabies (yes you, surfer dude who showed up well after the game started and just tried to walk right in). Some old British guys even tried to bribe me, and I just laughed that one off and let them in next. Good on ya!

so yeah.... there were some good things about yesterday, and they ALL had to do with this kick-ass supporters group. Toronto FC would be practically unbearable if we weren't all in this together.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haterblock: ON

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for this thread parky.

As ive said in some pm's and other posts, its very important to note the positives. The positives that you have noted was the work of the supporters. This is why its great to have this group.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh shit.... and it was great to have all those red flags in the stands. Glad that came together.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome Parks, lets celebrate was is STILL good about this soccer community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win or Lose Local Soccer Community did very well to celebrate Love Football Day. And again thank you to all the tired people who were at the Academy game. I made some calls this morning to make sure we didn't lost anyone :-)

Last edited by DavydMT; 05-29-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least 3-4 goals came off of individual errors, things that do not accurately reflect the overall talent of the squad. We showed character and class by scoring 2 goals and controlling the game during the first 15 minutes of the second half. The last two goals came after a huge formation shift in which only Eckerseley and Williams were left to defend. While many people on the forum have complained that Winter is not motivating his players, no one can dispute that after the first half Maicon Santos played like a man who had been called out and decided to show his class. Winter instead of giving up and playing for next game, as could be argued he did after the DC United and Seattle game, decided to put on every offensive player available to him on the pitch to grab a slim hope of victory.

While many people only see the shame of a historic loss I see progress whereas before we could never see passion from our team we saw care, we may not be able to see this clearly now but besides the left fullback, and left midfield positions we now have good MLS quality players at every position.

WE HAVE GOTTEN BETTER, WE WILL SURVIVE THIS, and IF WE LEARN FROM THIS EXPERIENCE WE WILL CONQUER

Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.
    William Arthur Ward

It may not always love you back but I will always love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the weather was better too!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    the weather was better too!
    I prefer the rain. Pasty white boy burns easily ><

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One positive from the loss, due to the crap that was on display at BMO I left early, and met a woman with great tits and legs on the steetcar pulling away from the game. Found out later she was a hooker hired by TFC for a pre game tryst with all the players, something the manager tried as a way of helping out team morale, but she left pissed off cause non of the boys could get it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    - a big NO thanks to the brutal security guard who almost rubber gloved Red Rat while bringing in the drum and them had the nerve to say "If you guys didn't bring in flares, we wouldn't have to be so strict". I ripped into him for that one, because it sure as hell wasn't Red Rat or myself doing that.
    I was standing several feet back and couldn't hear everything, but after giving redrat the 3rd degree didn't he ask if you were staying to watch the CL game?

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Me too, my face still hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to read this. It took me until now to summons the courage to get on the board, figured it would be a shit tsunami.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Good to read this. It took me until now to summons the courage to get on the board, figured it would be a shit tsunami.

I experienced one of those once.

Bad sushi.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, we had a great 10 minutes or so after the break. No bugs and no rain were also very welcome. Seeing your team get pissed on while it's pissing rain is not fun. Been there, done that, got the (NYRB) t-shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so yeah.... there were some good things about yesterday, and they ALL had to do with this kick-ass supporters group. Toronto FC would be practically unbearable if we weren't all in this together.
    Too true..we're a suport-group supporter's group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this Parky. I was waiting for one of these to pop up, too often there is so much negativity spewed from post game thread; win lose or draw. Opening up a 'positives' thread 24 hours or so after a match should be habitual - people keep forgetting we're a supporters club. No sarcasm, no ML$E bashing, no DeRo-related comments (DeRo-related avatars are still allowed ).. just positives we can take moving forward out of the last match.

My positives...

1. We had some serious spark plugs. Martina, Plata, Santos, Soolsma... all of these guys had flashes of trying to push the pace. That 4th Philly goal deflation aside, those four showed great heart.

2. Frei's post-match comments. If you haven't heard them, listen to them. His words had a mix of anger, frustration, embarrassment ... but also of resilience and determination. Listening to him, I got the feeling that he never wants this to happen again, and he never wants it to happen to TFC again. Got a real sense of pride for the badge - even with 21K sarcastically applauding him he's still dedicated to the club.

3. Santos came deep to the Bunker, alone. Stood there for 30-40 seconds taking abuse. Despite it all he applauded the Bunker and pointed to the crest. I questioned Santos as our captain before but this single act proves to me that he's worthy of being our captain. I'm proud of our club's captain.

4. Second half adjustments. Whether you like Winter or not, we all have to admit that he doesn't adjust often enough. This time he had to and boy did it make a difference. This had the potential to be the greatest comeback in TFC history - as I foolishly said during halftime (3-0 down), and was confidently screaming jumping up and down after both TFC goals.

5. Return of Nana? If this doesn't bring the return of Mr. Attakora, nothing will. I'm convinced he at least needs an opportunity to prove himself. People who were at the reserve match said he was bossing the defensive side of things.

6. Lessons learned. The players all learned something about themselves, their teammates and the fans today. We've reached the breaking point in our relationship with the club and now there are two options for the Reds - give up and half-ass it until the off-season, or come back next match guns blazing and make up for this match throughout the second half of the season. We're going to learn a lot about our club in the next few weeks, and I expect nothing less but to come out the next match playing like they have a point to prove.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not raining was huge. When it got to 2-3, for a couple of moments it looked like it was going to be an epic comeback. Got out of the house . . . Lots of pretty girls were there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borman with 2 lovely assists to Santos. Perfect through ball, timed and weighted on the first one, and a great cross on the turnover to Santos unmarked on the second goal.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Not raining was huge. When it got to 2-3, for a couple of moments it looked like it was going to be an epic comeback. Got out of the house . . . Lots of pretty girls were there.
    There was a lot of talent in the stands yesterday...

Lots of talent...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Borman with 2 lovely assists to Santos. Perfect through ball, timed and weighted on the first one, and a great cross on the turnover to Santos unmarked on the second goal.
    funny cuz i am pretty sure earlier this month someone had labled Borman as a "problem" and TFC "needed to get rid of him"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the main positive I took from the match was Eckersley.

otherwise the day was made awesome by the comradery, the friendliness between the Man U and Barca supporters in the pub made for a really cool atmosphere, and /respect to Parkdale for running the door!

missing the final and dealing with the public must have been the least fun way to spend the afternoon, but he helped give us all the chance to have a good time in there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    There was a lot of talent in the stands yesterday...

Lots of talent...

Carts...
    *insert joke about talent in the stands but not on the pitch here*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    funny cuz i am pretty sure earlier this month someone had labled Borman as a "problem" and TFC "needed to get rid of him"
    He's terrible defensively, but he gets forward well and has shown that he can cross a ball and make a good out-let pass...it would be worth seeing what he could do as a midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta give props to Santos for sure.

We all knew deep down this was the reality of our situation at the start of the season. Sure the loss is painful.

Looking forward to the transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    It was me. I still don't think Borman is our solution at fullback, but he seems to be effective in attack. I'm pretty sure in the thread where I lambasted Borman, I also noted his killer through ball that gave TFC a quality shot on target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- the raffle for the Frei jersey was a great success, and I'm happy to see that the guy who won it (okay, it was his girlfriend actually) was already wearing a Frei 'stop sign' shirt. It's great when someone who wins a prize really REALLY loves it. I just hope meeting with Frei after the match wasn't too rough a moment.

the money for the tickets came out of my pocket i just gave them to here because i had to go pee before and didn't wanna miss it and besides we are married so there is no his and hers..lol

stuck around for about an hr after the game at gate 4 and got his sig i will post a pic later i have to go to work now..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    the money for the tickets came out of my pocket i just gave them to here because i had to go pee before and didn't wanna miss it and besides we are married so there is no his and hers..lol
    So, it's all hers then?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post

Me too, my face still hurts.
    Me three and I have scarf marks.

Thanks to all that picked up their Canada tix and a special thanks to anyone who played a part in helping me get enough liquid that loooooong day of football.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post

stuck around for about an hr after the game at gate 4 and got his sig i will post a pic later i have to go to work now..
    Keep telling yourself that....