Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 1839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    edit: MLS are also very strict on what things can be offered to players outside of money. They don't allow shit out of fear a team like TFC would say "Hey Dero, we can only pay you the 400k, but here's a shiny new condo at Maple Leaf Square! Deal?" Which is crap
    The point I have been trying to make is that MLSE (TFC) would never do that, they are huge penny pinchers when it comes to this shit. I've been told that teams like New York and LA do this very frequently though.

Which is why DeRo went to New York........ because Red Bulls know how to run a soccer club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id argue that as theyve only recently become successful even then that success has been limited (im not denying they are one of the strongest teams in the league but they are also in one of the biggest most popular cities in NA which helps draw)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does MLS "look the other way" when it comes to NY and LA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post

This club makes over 2 million a home game, put some money back into the players.
    I think we do in the form of paycheques. Where did the 2 million figure come from? Is that profit? The way you worded it is confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Does MLS "look the other way" when it comes to NY and LA?
    I doubt it, but it's not hard to do things like that without people know, it happens everywhere else in the world and even in the other major leagues in NA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the DeRo sittuation was a poorly handled on BOTH SIDES! As for the promised contracts if the promise was made by Earl and then Winter came in after the fact then to bad.

All deals are off when the people change, and if a player was offered a contract before ariving and trialing then I think the player is full of shit. If someone had a deal and had the documentation to prove it then this would to the courts.

If the organaization has in fact turned the corner, there will be a line up of players ready to jump on the ship. IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point about how tickets could be deemed additional compensation though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babone View Post
    I agree the DeRo sittuation was a poorly handled on BOTH SIDES! As for the promised contracts if the promise was made by Earl and then Winter came in after the fact then to bad.

All deals are off when the people change, and if a player was offered a contract before ariving and trialing then I think the player is full of shit. If someone had a deal and had the documentation to prove it then this would to the courts.

If the organaization has in fact turned the corner, there will be a line up of players ready to jump on the ship. IMO
    pretty much how i feel about the matter
    im throwing more energy behind winter and mariner than i am being furious with MLSEs prior mistakes, if they continue to make them sure they will get called out on it but it hasnt happened yet, so why not focus on the good while its around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see this posted yet. It's yesterday's article in the Toronto Star quoting Paul Mariner's response to the DeRo trade and his thoughts looking forward...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...ight-direction

The trading of Dwayne De Rosario, the best player to ever wear a Toronto FC jersey, generated a torrent of reaction, from fans lamenting the loss of goal-scoring to experts concluding a fifth season without making the playoffs is at hand.

Paul Mariner paid attention to none of it.

“You’ve got to believe in your own ability,” Mariner, TFC’s new director of player development, said Tuesday in an interview in the BMO Field office he shares with head coach Aron Winter and first assistant Bob de Klerk.
    “I think the people in this room have got good insights into what it takes to put a team together,” he said of the trio hired in January to run the club.

Despite sending De Rosario to the New York Red Bulls last Friday, Mariner, a former English international, said “we would have loved to have kept him.”

“I think it’s just the financial package wasn’t satisfactory to him,” he said of De Rosario, who admitted Tuesday he requested the trade and will be paid the same salary in New York he would have made with his hometown club.
    With the captain and all-time leading scorer out of the picture, Mariner said the goal remains a similar, if modest, one: “Trying to get a good product on the field so the fans can see that we’re moving in the right direction.”

De Rosario scored a club-record 15 goals last season. There’s no obvious successor to take on that key role but Mariner insisted he’s not concerned.

“Somebody is going to step up, they always do,” he said confidently.

While he still thinks the lineup is “a couple of players away” from where he wants it, Mariner said there’s no rush to add more bodies, up front or anywhere else. On June 30, the international transfer window opens, and there will be “a lot of players out of contract and looking for work,” he said.
    “There has been a lot of change,” Mariner said of a roster that has more than 15 new faces from 2010. “What we need now is some stability and some cohesion and we need players to get to know each other.”
    “We’re inching along and we just want to calm down a little bit and take stock, let the coaches do their jobs,” Winter said. “It’s going to take a bit of time.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point I have been trying to make is that MLSE (TFC) would never do that, they are huge penny pinchers when it comes to this shit. I've been told that teams like New York and LA do this very frequently though.

Which is why DeRo went to New York........ because Red Bulls know how to run a soccer club.
    In the book the Beckham Experiment, Grant Wahl states that LA did not do anything to make players' lives any better (such as paid living quarters)... so I'd be interested in your source... or are you just guessing that this happens?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... he was the boss!

You forgot the ""

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    In the book the Beckham Experiment, Grant Wahl states that LA did not do anything to make players' lives any better (such as paid living quarters)... so I'd be interested in your source... or are you just guessing that this happens?
    Wasn't one of the things in the book was showing the disparity between Beckham and his teammates? And how some teammates expected Beckham to "help them out" somehow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

joke right? rb was a bigger clusterfuck then TFC ever was a couple of seasons ago. its only recent that new people were brought in to turn things around. kinda what your seeing in TO right now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't one of the things in the book was showing the disparity between Beckham and his teammates? And how some teammates expected Beckham to "help them out" somehow?
    Yes, but even Beckham bought his own mansion. It wasn't provided by LA. Of course, our very own Alan Gordon was at LA until last season, and he can confirm everything that Wahl wrote.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, but even Beckham bought his own mansion. It wasn't provided by LA. Of course, our very own Alan Gordon was at LA until last season, and he can confirm everything that Wahl wrote.
    When a guy has money you expect them to buy their own accommodations.

I think it's more about guys who are in a transition period and who probably can't afford to live in downtown Toronto.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this quote from the U-Sector board:

Quote Originally Posted by Milky,Apr 6 2011, 11:14 AM
    I like the "no player is bigger than the club" philosophy. We have to stop hating on DeRo and move on. Try to look at the positives. One thing that giving DeRo DP status would have done is it would have sent a message to the locker room saying that if you think you're a good player and you complain enough, that you'll get the contract you want. We already saw this attitude start to creep into the minds of the other players at the club when Adrian Cann left camp during pre-season. However, I don't think you'll find any TFC player knocking on the office door asking for more money now. Potentially, this could pay huge dividends down the road as we build this squad under the strict salary cap that is MLS.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    joke right? rb was a bigger clusterfuck then TFC ever was a couple of seasons ago. its only recent that new people were brought in to turn things around. kinda what your seeing in TO right now.
    Good point.

Even after Red Bull bought the MetroStars they still went through a couple of seasons of disarray. The MetroStars were similar to TFC in that they tried to bring all these names and ended up with a revolving door of players and coaches.

You could argue that since hiring Erik Soler and Hans Backe, the two of them of have the team on the right track, but they haven't won anything of consequence yet with those two.

Their best success came under Osorio in 2008 when they got to the finals of the MLS Cup... which was immediately followed by the worst finish in 2009.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this quote from the U-Sector board:
    Sometimes I forget, and start to get annoyed. Thanks for the signature, reminding me that laughter often works better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dont see how its possible to defend DeRo with the revelations that have come out since the trade. He lied about not demanding a trade, he's not getting the money that he wanted (wasn't it the reason for the trade?), he could've made more money right now if he had signed Mariner's contract extension (33% raise to $600K I read somewhere). He wanted Preki gone and a new coach / management team, which he got. Klinsmann reached out to DeRo specifically for his opinion on how to move the club forward.

MoJo, Cochrane, even Jimmy B; they're all guilty in this mess. But FFS, at what point does DeRo hold some accountability for his actions?

The reason I'm personally disappointed by all this is because Dwayne De Rosario was coming back home. A man who's done everything there was to do in North American soccer, he's accomplished. He was coming back to help his hometown club strive to greatness. He was better than Dichio by leaps and bounds. Had he been a legend to our club like Dichio had been, we would've honoured him accordingly. He would've been a legend we would've told our kids about, this magical guy named DeRo who was Canadian and simply the best. But instead, he chose a different path. He chose to make money his top priority, over his legacy, over the club. Hell, even over the fans (hard to say he cares about the fans when he demanded a trade).

The story of Dwayne De Rosario for TFC fans was abruptly cut short. From one of honour, accomplishment and loyalty to betrayal, greed and lies. What could've been if DeRo had resolved these issues quietly and not publicly tried to sign his own cheque? What could've been if the public were kept unaware of his contract disputes? What could've been if he had accepted the contract extension, mentored the young guns like Robbo helped Cronin, worked with the club to make it the best club in the MLS.

Toronto FC has always been the laughing stock of the league. We still are. Nobody likes us, we don't care. But, DeRo could've changed all that. That's where this story should've went. DeRo could've been an ambassador on the field and off, years after he hung up his boots. Instead, he'll be forgotten by most and some will never welcome him home again.

Five days after the trade, Dwayne. You are officially dead to me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whoa. Even I'm not that upset. LOL

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Pook, I thought DeRo was just quoted saying that he's hoping for DP status next year. No gaurantee.
    He said the same thing in Toronto too, that he would "let his play do the talking" and see where he ends up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. But the book also talks about perks that the team got because of Beckham, but never from Beckham himself.

ex. riding in a private jet nicer than some of their apartments and how Beckham never picked up the tab on dinner when the team went out together.

Its been a while tho since I read that book so my memory is a bit foggy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    That's what I remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point.

Even after Red Bull bought the MetroStars they still went through a couple of seasons of disarray.
    That's a good point often forgotten in the NYRB comparison. There seems to be an implication by some people (not outright stated) that Red Bull arrived and the team went from worst to first. But Red Bull bought the team in March of 2006.

So they changed owners but true success took a change in management and two coaching changes (Arena and Osorio gone).
    Last edited by rocker; 04-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I really dont see how its possible to defend DeRo with the revelations that have come out since the trade. He lied about not demanding a trade, he's not getting the money that he wanted (wasn't it the reason for the trade?), he could've made more money right now if he had signed Mariner's contract extension (33% raise to $600K I read somewhere). He wanted Preki gone and a new coach / management team, which he got. Klinsmann reached out to DeRo specifically for his opinion on how to move the club forward.

MoJo, Cochrane, even Jimmy B; they're all guilty in this mess. But FFS, at what point does DeRo hold some accountability for his actions?

The reason I'm personally disappointed by all this is because Dwayne De Rosario was coming back home. A man who's done everything there was to do in North American soccer, he's accomplished. He was coming back to help his hometown club strive to greatness. He was better than Dichio by leaps and bounds. Had he been a legend to our club like Dichio had been, we would've honoured him accordingly. He would've been a legend we would've told our kids about, this magical guy named DeRo who was Canadian and simply the best. But instead, he chose a different path. He chose to make money his top priority, over his legacy, over the club. Hell, even over the fans (hard to say he cares about the fans when he demanded a trade).

The story of Dwayne De Rosario for TFC fans was abruptly cut short. From one of honour, accomplishment and loyalty to betrayal, greed and lies. What could've been if DeRo had resolved these issues quietly and not publicly tried to sign his own cheque? What could've been if the public were kept unaware of his contract disputes? What could've been if he had accepted the contract extension, mentored the young guns like Robbo helped Cronin, worked with the club to make it the best club in the MLS.

Toronto FC has always been the laughing stock of the league. We still are. Nobody likes us, we don't care. But, DeRo could've changed all that. That's where this story should've went. DeRo could've been an ambassador on the field and off, years after he hung up his boots. Instead, he'll be forgotten by most and some will never welcome him home again.

Five days after the trade, Dwayne. You are officially dead to me.
    I would not have had the gumption to write this..... but it is how I feel too. Harsh but true. And I had so much respect for the man, on and off the field.

We went to the Yonge and Dundas thing and D and I chatted. He was sombre, I asked him if he was going, he said no but his eyes said yes.

As an aside, aren't sports agents supposed to handle these things? Contracts, press, advice on how to handle yourself, communication, NEGOTIATION? Doesn't he have one? The whole thing is a sordid, sorry mess.
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gotta say theres alot of things in that post that speak to me (both finding fault in MLSE and DeRo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Rachel View Post
    As an aside, aren't sports agents supposed to handle these things? Contracts, press, advice on how to handle yourself, communication, NEGOTIATION? Doesn't he have one? The whole thing is a sordid, sorry mess.
    according to one article I read, De Ro changed his management last fall (yeah, the same management that negotiated the contract he was already under). hmmm.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's been a PR disaster on both sides for the last two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, pretty deep and correct. I think Moe screwed a lot of things up for a lot of people including DeRo. Quick question - was it not MLS who recomended Mow? Could of swore that's what was said at his press conference all those years ago!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes. You are correct. MLS suggested TFC look Mo's way.