Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe that anyone has seen these guys play in person... How the f do they find these guys.. That being said, I do have faith they can find a gem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will be revealing to see some action via the live stream opposed to you tube highlight clips, edited TFC TV feeds or twitter post (sheese) this part of the off-season seems the longest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Actually, the belgian has some pedigree, FC Rijeka (where my fam is from in Croatia) actually placed relatively well in the Croatian Domestic well the last couple years. Seeing as they are in the top 10 in the world, the league has healthy standard.

the others.....errr, not overly pleased.
    Not really, the Croatian league is really poor, all the Balkan leagues are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That being said, Dejan Jakovic was a whipping boy for red star and a real dog of a player, but he seems to work out fine in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serb_Star View Post
    every player on the croatian national team was groomed in Croatia, as most of the Serbians are and they are placed VERY favourably on the international table (which i know is spurious). Furthermore, when i've been to Belgrade to see Partizan play in Champs league or whatever, they've shown quite well for small nations. I stand by what i wrote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, what i want to really know, as i'm sure 99% of people here are, is who the heck are we going to bring in to strengthen our squad. I'd be pleased to see some MLS proven players make the move. Look with Jeff Larentowicz did for colorado, or what Jimmy Conrad will do for Chivas. We could easily have made space in our cap for these players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serb_Star View Post
    Come on man, I dunno why people tend to make some ridiculous generalizations like this?
    Both Greece and Romania are considered to be part of the Balkan, and both first division championships are clearly stronger than MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greece and Romania part of the Balkan??? Dude, you really f*cked up your geography class. Pretty girl next to you, I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post
    Greece and Romania part of the Balkan??? Dude, you really f*cked up your geography class. Pretty girl next to you, I guess
    In most of the English-speaking world, the countries commonly included in the Balkan region are:[6]
    Albania
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Greece
    Kosovo
    (partially recognized[4])
    Macedonia
    Montenegro
    Slovenia
    Serbia
    Other countries sometimes included are:
    Moldova
    Romania
    Hungary
    Turkey

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

However, the definition of the Balkans doesn't matter so much as it is not a good idea to over-generalize.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch, TFC Hague, schooled by Wiki and two posters. I felt the same way when I lost a bet that the Canada Health Act overrides provincial jurisdiction a few years ago.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone want to re-name this thread the Geographical Debate thread?

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a fuck which part of America Panama is in, or what the Balkans are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Someone want to re-name this thread the Geographical Debate thread?

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a fuck which part of America Panama is in, or what the Balkans are.
    Hey man, It's important. You can only find quality players from certain geographical areas. There have been no World Class players to come out of North America ever...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if academy kid count, but after his success in the u-17 world cup, Keven Aleman has been called up to the main squad to get a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you hear this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    torontofc.ca
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    torontofc.ca
    Awesome news, lets hope he impresses

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02...en-aleman-camp
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this might be a situation where Aleman's performance could attract attention.

Technically the kid isn't under contract, we could lose him for nothing if he impresses at the U20 WC this summer.

TFC's advantage is that they can sign him now. They may want to take advantage, even if he keeps playing with the academy and is a few years away from the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think this might be a situation where Aleman's performance could attract attention.

Technically the kid isn't under contract, we could lose him for nothing if he impresses at the U20 WC this summer.

TFC's advantage is that they can sign him now. They may want to take advantage, even if he keeps playing with the academy and is a few years away from the first team.
    Hes playing in the U17 World Cup I don't think under FIFA rules he can sign with a club abroad until he's 18 and also even if he isn't being paid he is under some sort of "contract" with TFC. Someone who knows more should explain but I'm almost positive he wouldn't be able to move (not sure why he would want to either).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct, he can't sign internationally until he's 18 but that doesn't preclude him from holding out on TFC should someone else show him strong interest. I hate to break it to you but otherwise TFC have absolutely no contractual weight on him. How do you think Alderson just took a walk over to BC without us getting anything?

At the current time he has no contract with the club and TFC hold no power over his ability to move elsewhere once he moves 18. Technically, if it weren't for MLS territorial rules he could jump academies as well. And, if clubs are THAT interested (this is getting really speculative) they can relocate his family allowing him to sign even earlier.

This provides a relatively extreme but recent example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Macheda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You are correct, he can't sign internationally until he's 18 but that doesn't preclude him from holding out on TFC should someone else show him strong interest. I hate to break it to you but otherwise TFC have absolutely no contractual weight on him. How do you think Alderson just took a walk over to BC without us getting anything?

At the current time he has no contract with the club and TFC hold no power over his ability to move elsewhere once he moves 18. Technically, if it weren't for MLS territorial rules he could jump academies as well. And, if clubs are THAT interested (this is getting really speculative) they can relocate his family allowing him to sign even earlier.

This provides a relatively extreme but recent example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Macheda
    This is missing what actually happens some of the time, which is that younger players sign a pre-contract in which terms are agreed, similar to a letter of commitment to a U.S. university.

I dont' know if there's any legal bind to them but it's quite common for teams to lock up younger players. It's why you have Freddy Adu playing at 14 for D.C., James Milner for leeds at 15, Wayne Rooney for Everton at 16 etc.

So underage players can play, just not as full professionals. Probably have to get an exemption of some sort.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is missing what actually happens some of the time, which is that younger players sign a pre-contract in which terms are agreed, similar to a letter of commitment to a U.S. university.

I dont' know if there's any legal bind to them but it's quite common for teams to lock up younger players. It's why you have Freddy Adu playing at 14 for D.C., James Milner for leeds at 15, Wayne Rooney for Everton at 16 etc.

So underage players can play, just not as full professionals. Probably have to get an exemption of some sort.
    You can play as a pro under the age of 18 for a team in your domestic league.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    You can play as a pro under the age of 18 for a team in your domestic league.
    So could Aleman play in NCC because it's CSA sanctioned? Does CSA have any sanctioning authority with respect to TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

player can sign and play as a pro under the age of 18. Contract length 3 years max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So could Aleman play in NCC because it's CSA sanctioned? Does CSA have any sanctioning authority with respect to TFC?
    TFC can't operate legitimately in a FIFA league without CSA sanctioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    TFC can't operate legitimately in a FIFA league without CSA sanctioning.
    So there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advising to this article Soolsma is the only player from training camp officially signed.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/transactions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play.
    I don't think there will be, TFC has had plenty of domestic U-18s play for them. Look no further than Ibby and Henry. Granted, for an example of internationals not being able to play you've got Sanyang.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Advising to this article Soolsma is the only player from training camp officially signed.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/transactions
    Those can't be officially signed players considering there are a ton of other players on that list who aren't yet signed. I wouldn't put any weight behind that link.