Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    isn't lindsay just hurt not traded away or did that happen today..

i'm cool with that list except chad i liked him but what ya gunna do...
    Your right, edited...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'll be you $20 right now that if he plays at least 16 games, he gets at least the seven goals we got from Chad last year.

David Ferreira and DeRo are both pretty tiny, too.
    I'm not dismissing Plata because of his height. I'm dismissing him because nobody knows fuck all about the player and his history is not readily available.

Everyone is high on Plata off of a combine performance. That's just flat out irresponsible.

I could care less about Plata's height. I wasn't aware of it until after people started proclaiming him the next coming of Messi. But physical attributes are not necessarily the best indicator of a player's ability or potential. Their history is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big defenders are not a problem when you're a little player. I think the article you are referring to said he had a harder time with the better defence he faced on day 3 of the combine.Apparently on Day 3 of the combine though alot of guys are pretty tired depending on their minutes the previous days.

I like the look of him in his video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting artice on how the South Americans, including Plata, got into the draft.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...e-expands.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata's on loan from LDU Quito, huge club. Leads me to believe the guy can play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty cool youtube material from demi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Plata's on loan from LDU Quito, huge club. Leads me to believe the guy can play.
    Pablo Vitti was on loan from Independiente. Huge club. Led me to believe that the guy could play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Pablo Vitti was on loan from Independiente. Huge club. Led me to believe that the guy could play.
    But the point is that's the consensus right now as it was the consensus back then to give this guy a shot and not dismiss him as some random 49th pick who'll never get signed or amount to anything. Give him a chance, also to those saying he's the next Messi, if you are indeed saying that, find a middle ground people!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not dismissing Plata because of his height. I'm dismissing him because nobody knows fuck all about the player and his history is not readily available.

Everyone is high on Plata off of a combine performance. That's just flat out irresponsible.

I could care less about Plata's height. I wasn't aware of it until after people started proclaiming him the next coming of Messi. But physical attributes are not necessarily the best indicator of a player's ability or potential. Their history is.
    IF you're certain his showing at the combine was insufficient to judge his ability at this level, you'll have to problem betting me a $20 then, right?

Kid can flat play. There have been many small, clinical finishers over the years, and he`s a clinical finisher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly? Vitti was technically one the better players on TFC. The team was in disarray and he couldn't nail down a solid position. I think the turf really bothered him too. He went on to be the MVP of the Peruvian league, scoring 14 goals and transferred to Peru's biggest club(no doubt better than us).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Honestly? Vitti was technically one the better players on TFC. The team was in disarray and he couldn't nail down a solid position. I think the turf really bothered him too. He went on to be the MVP of the Peruvian league, scoring 14 goals and transferred to Peru's biggest club(no doubt better than us).
    And what about his performance in the Ukraine prior to moving to TFC?

That's the problem with people here. You value players on their most recent performances and not the overall trend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just in addition to that, Chad Barrett has had a higher career scoring ratio when you go Goals to Apps, at 22%.

Vitti has one of less than 19%. And that didn't rise until he was gone from TFC. Prior to that his career had been remarkably unspectacular.

Dwayne De Rosario, by comparison, has a goal to app ratio of 33.2%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what about his performance in the Ukraine prior to moving to TFC?

That's the problem with people here. You value players on their most recent performances and not the overall trend.
    Not much to go on with Plata, he's only 18. I think he's worth a 49th pick, no? If it doesn't work out, no loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Your right, edited...
    LOL, I just noticed your avatar. I like DeRo but I have to admit that's classic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jimmy 'Muy Alto' Plata

I'm sure others are talking about his height or losing Conway for Mr. Plata. Someone will obviously bring up Messi, who by the way, at 5' 7" towers over 'alto' Plata. Jimmy's wiki has him at 5' 0" (same height as Danny Devito), but TFC has him at 5' 2" (elevator cleats?). I'm not going to comment on his skills, cause I have no idea, but it made me think of how tall that is.

Is Plata taller or shorter than:
    Tom Cruise - shorter
    Napoleon - shorter, so if he has a complex he comes by it honestly
    Calvin Borel (jockey who won the last two Kentucky Derby's) - yep he's shorter
    Roy 'Shrimp' Worters (shortest ever hockey player) - shorter
    Muggsy Bogues (shortest ever basketball player) - shorter

Here's hoping the size of the fight in the dog is large and he can help. Good luck Conway.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the thought from Winter & Mariner is since we're going to be playing a more possession style game then height may not matter so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He towers over snooky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shucks, I was holding on to the Muggsy Bogues reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who cares how tall he is if he can play

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the end i have no problem taking him on loan, might as well, seems like hes worth a shot, i jsut have a problem with people proclaiming him to be something hes not (or at least we dont know of yet)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mentioned previously, heights no big deal, people knowing nothing but proclaiming him to be something hes not is. looking forward to seeing what this dude can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his height doesn't matter....what matters if he can handle the MLS refs and defenders who may push him off the ball easily. If he can get passed that, he will do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting move, certainly worth a third rounder. In Winter we trust.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He better be smart to get himself into good positions otherwise he is going to get pushed around.

I have zero expectations, at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's a 3rd round pick. not like he's a 1st rounder in a relatively weak draft.

if he works out, great. if not, then oh well.

i don't see much risk in this pick, but potentially a lot to gain
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is his name Jimmy? Joao is John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata can play.

There wasn't one single club at the combine not showing interest in Plata.

We had a chance to shoot-the-shit with the adi-pure coaches Sunday evening, they confirmed every club had approached them to talk about Plata.

Just think what this kid will do against tired defenders as a late game sub.

A bold pick.

Omphroy & Burgos are good prospects, smart kids too (book smart). Although they didn't stand out during the combine, they didn't stick out as being not skilled enough or mistake prone (Ushedo) like many others did. They adjusted, they fit in, efficient not flashy. Omphroy reminded one of our guys of Dunivant.

Ohio State's Matt Gold's selection doesn't thrill us. We've seen Ohio a lot over the years so we have an idea about him and the program. You've heard it before, he's certainly a hard working player however what concerns us is we don't like his decision making, or how he fails to read plays. Kid's got a motor and runs like a deer, plus he's durable. The other thing is he's had four years of John Bluem, not a tactical or technically strong coach. He's a recruiter not a developer of talent.

FWIW, when my youngest son was doing his research on schools, of the schools he had an interest in, Ohio State was the one program I didn't want him to consider. He became a better player because of that request and he's now moved on to coaching in the NCAA.

All in all I don't think TFC did to bad, our group was in agreement that it's probably TFC's deepest draft. The 3 NCAA boys will certainly add to the competitive nature of the camp.

We hit 13/18 in the 1st round, not as good as last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My report for MLSsoccer.com:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...p-molding-team

Quotes from Omphroy and Mariner. I don't know what kind of career Omphroy will have but I can tell you that he sounded 100% sincere about being excited to play here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    IF you're certain his showing at the combine was insufficient to judge his ability at this level, you'll have to problem betting me a $20 then, right?

Kid can flat play. There have been many small, clinical finishers over the years, and he`s a clinical finisher.
    Of course, I'll bet you 20 dollars any day of the week.

Especially when you don't know me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Is his name Jimmy? Joao is John.
    And Jim is short for John.

Regardless. Plata is highly rated by...people who think late 3rd round picks will amount to something.