Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2589
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Raivis looks like he's massaging DeRo whispering evil things in his ear. I blame that Latvian guy for creating MeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't know, everytime I see that picture I hear him talking in Homer Simpson's voice whispering, "Shut up."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if DeRo comes back and goes missing from June - September again will he ask for a pay reduction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    if DeRo comes back and goes missing from June - September again will he ask for a pay reduction?
    I think this has been dubunked more than a few times.

His goal scoring was about as evenly spread as any of the top scorers in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Raivis looks like he's massaging DeRo whispering evil things in his ear. I blame that Latvian guy for creating MeRo.
    He's like a tall Smeagol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only things that went missing in June-September were: Our defense, our wingers...oh yeah, and Preki's sense of tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Only things that went missing in June-September were: Our defense, our wingers...oh yeah, and Preki's sense of tactics.
    we had wingers?!

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think this has been dubunked more than a few times.

His goal scoring was about as evenly spread as any of the top scorers in the league.
    from June 5th to September 11th he scored 1 league goal.... same tally as Fuad Ibrahim... Ibby in a 1-0 win and DeRo in a 4-1 loss.

Now tell me that screams DP contract.
    Last edited by Brooker; 01-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we had wingers?!
    Ok, things that were never found.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found a new update from STV in Scotland on DeRo. A lot of things that were mentioned, bounce game with hibs, still training for another week etc, but ya a bit of an update
    http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...ial-continues/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know...I have decided that I hope DeRo gets his DP contract.

Anyone that bitches and whines that much for something I'm sure will have no problem with the pressure that will follow it. By that I mean he better fucking perform to the same level or better than last year or he cannot complain when everyone comes down on him about it.
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 01-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    You know...I have decided that I hope DeRo gets DP contract.

Anyone that bitches and whines that much for something I'm sure will have no problem with the pressure that will follow it. By that I mean he better fucking perform to the same level or better than last year or he cannot complain when everyone comes down on him about it.
    I knew we could get someone to come around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know...I have decided that I hope DeRo gets DP contract.

He doesnt deserve one after his actions. And even if he gets it, he wont get 800K per year. What is he going to do if he gets a DP contract...will he kiss the badge after he scores ? The motivation for every single action and word come under question. This whole thing has given him zero leverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from June 5th to September 11th he scored 1 league goal.... same tally as Fuad Ibrahim... Ibby in a 1-0 win and DeRo in a 4-1 loss.

Fair enough, that runs counter to my point.

However, I think at the end of the day this is a team game and the TEAM wasn't good enough regardless of De Rosario's performance over the season (which i think most sane people would say was pretty good all things considered).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Is there one player in MLS that foreseeably could have replaced Dero's performance over the season and helped us make the playoffs? I really don't think there's any answers to that question besides Landon Donovan, but as we've seen with a bad LA team in prior years even he alone can't be enough. Bad team still > great player.

I think fingers need to be pointed at the rest of this team first. 2nd in the league in scoring, playing half the time as an AM, with really no track record throughout his career as a goal scorer. Really, if we're criticizing this I think we could poke holes in just about any player in the league.

Let's not shit ourselves here, we know why we were bad last year, let's stop making these arguments how Dero's performance somehow wasn't up to par.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Fair enough, that runs counter to my point.

However, I think at the end of the day this is a team game and the TEAM wasn't good enough regardless of De Rosario's performance over the season (which i think most sane people would say was pretty good all things considered).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Is there one player in MLS that foreseeably could have replaced Dero's performance over the season and helped us make the playoffs? I really don't think there's any answers to that question besides Landon Donovan, but as we've seen with a bad LA team in prior years even he alone can't be enough. Bad team still > great player.

I think fingers need to be pointed at the rest of this team first. 2nd in the league in scoring, playing half the time as an AM, with really no track record throughout his career as a goal scorer. Really, if we're criticizing this I think we could poke holes in just about any player in the league.

Let's not shit ourselves here, we know why we were bad last year, let's stop making these arguments how Dero's performance somehow wasn't up to par.
    I agree, I may want him gone but he showed up every game trying to play as he always does. Problem being teams figured out that preki hadn't given instructions past the halfway line and DeRo was the only one capable of making something happen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    MeRo

MeeeeeeRO

I Love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we had wingers?!

Are we really questioning the ability of the one outfield player we have who has continuously delivered for us since we signed him? This Ibby comparison is probably the worst I have ever seen. I dont get any of this? Dero has proven his quality and the MLSE supposedly have a ton of money, lets just give him a pay rise for a couple of years and be grateful we have at least one player who can actually make a difference in front of the net.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    ... lets just give him a pay rise for a couple of years and be grateful we have at least one player who can actually make a difference in front of the net.
    Can or could?

No one can predict the future. Well, you can predict that aging players' skills decline. When is anyone's guess.

At the end of the day the salary isn't important. The DP tag carries the same cap hit if it is Henry or the Dwayner.

If you give him a DP tag you are saying he is the best available DP we can get over the next 2 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll be back with a pay raise, and perform very hard, for the new mgmt team, and speak very little...end of.....New team, new bond/respect.....or good-day................after over 1600 posts, and the fool that I am read over 1000.........yeesh.....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    He's like a tall Smeagol.

I think its agreed pro DeRo, Anti MeRo....

we can all agree to blame Raivis "that latvian guy" Smeagel for everything and anything that happened in 2010 one would or could not like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Can or could?

No one can predict the future. Well, you can predict that aging players' skills decline. When is anyone's guess.

At the end of the day the salary isn't important. The DP tag carries the same cap hit if it is Henry or the Dwayner.

If you give him a DP tag you are saying he is the best available DP we can get over the next 2 years.

But now the guy negotiating the contract spent years with New England, one of the cheapest teams in the league that has never signed a DP. So, of course, no one can predict the future, but it does feel like now there's someone in charge who can manage a budget.

And can fill out the proper paperwork.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know...I have decided that I hope DeRo gets his DP contract.

you know....................i can somewhat get behind that too
    somewhat
    though i still can't find cheap celtic stuff anywhere. lame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can or could?

No, I have no idea who will be available, who we can attract. We have another 2 DP slots, make him one and we still have one left. Are we going to sign two DP's who can make a better on field contribution than Dero? I would think more than likely not. Will Dero's on field displays decrease significantly in two years? I personally dont think so, that is a risk I would take but I am very confident he looks after himself, he never has bad injuries either. Did Dwayne out perform Henry last year? Most people would say yes.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    No, I have no idea who will be available, who we can attract. We have another 2 DP slots, make him one and we still have one left.
    Actually, we don't.

JDG currently has one slot and TFC FO have never (yet) paid the $250k premium to purchase the 3rd slot.

If you give Dwayne the DP tag, our DPs are JDG and DeRosario. The same 2 players we've had the last 2 season. Not exactly inspiring.

Are we going to sign two DP's who can make a better on field contribution than Dero? I would think more than likely not.
    Respectfully, that's not a fact. It is an opinion and when names like Marquez, Henry and Beckham are involved in DP discussions (along with the young crop that Seattle has), I'd like to think that there may be potential to get someone better than DeRosario.

Will Dero's on field displays decrease significantly in two years? I personally dont think so, that is a risk I would take but I am very confident he looks after himself, he never has bad injuries either. Did Dwayne out perform Henry last year? Most people would say yes.
    Perhaps. But again, that is the past. Let's talk the future.

BTW, how did Henry's team do relative to Dwayne's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    MeRo

MeeeeeeRO

I Love it
    Yep thats making me laff that is. Well done whoever thought up the obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, we don't.

JDG currently has one slot and TFC FO have never (yet) paid the $250k premium to purchase the 3rd slot.

If you give Dwayne the DP tag, our DPs are JDG and DeRosario. The same 2 players we've had the last 2 season. Not exactly inspiring.

Respectfully, that's not a fact. It is an opinion and when names like Marquez, Henry and Beckham are involved in DP discussions (along with the young crop that Seattle has), I'd like to think that there may be potential to get someone better than DeRosario.

Seeing as how the MLSE have so much cash then I would hope they would pay the $250,000 for a 3rd DP if necessary, it isn't exactly a kings ransom for them. I think the big problem is that we are stuck With DeGuzman as a DP and it does hinder Dero getting DP status. If TFC pay the $250,000 then We could still have DeRo as a DP and still get someone else if the MLSE are willing to splash the cash. Its all ifs and buts but it is possible for sure.

So far in four years we are yet to see TFC signing any DP's of the quality you mention, it is often commented that these kind of players would not want to play in Toronto. Of course this is only peoples opinions in some cases but the fact is that we have not been able to attract any big stars here in four years and I haven't seen anything yet that has shown this will change. The potential is there for us to get a bigger name but at this time potential is all it is, we might not get anyone worth while.

You cannot really blame TFC's lack of performance on DeRo nor can you give great credit to Henry for how well the Red Bulls done last season. What we can agree on however is that DeRo had a better season than Henry.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that NY was doing extremely well before Henry arrived and he in fact did not have much of an impact on the pitch. Marketing-wise it was a success. But Henry did not contribute much to NY's playoff run. In fact, some have called it something of a dud. So relative to Henry, DeRo was cheap. Just like relative to Wondo, DeRo is expensive. Everything is relative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry is just the type of singing that I do not want. A great player who played on great teams, in great leagues, but who is clearly finished in terms of world football, even if he still had something to offer on the pitch his motivation at the end of his career would just not be there. Who cold blame him?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Henry is just the type of singing that I do not want. A great player who played on great teams, in great leagues, but who is clearly finished in terms of world football, even if he still had something to offer on the pitch his motivation at the end of his career would just not be there. Who cold blame him?
    +1, growing with the team, I would rather field a strong interchangeable team now , rather than have a fly by night, older "star" ......as NY actually had before hiring... Marquez and Henry.......besides along with Beckham they are just along for the $$ and then bye-bye....I'm maturing hopefully along with the team in my future goals....and feeling better for it. Instant gratification is overated
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, we don't.

“Mr. Madison what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

I agree.

I agree also
    Some other facts to be considered
    1. Age

Birth years for the 3 DP signings you mentioned as well as Dero:
    • Henry - 1977
    • Bechham - 1975
    • Marquez - 1979
    • Dero - 1978
    Age has definitely impacted the abilities of Henry, Beckham and Marquez. On the other hand Dero seems to aging like fine wine, having had two of his best offensive seasons (statistically) since turning 30. Certainly age will catch up to him, but perhaps his legs have a few less miles on them then the other three, North American playes develop later, dont spend their teen years get run into the ground at youth academies and play less games. Add in the fact that Dero was a bench player early in his MLS career so maybe his legs just have a little more gas in the tank. Is Dero still in his peak any less of a player then aging star from Europe who is playing out twilight of their career despite diminished ability? There are probably no stats/facts that can answer that question adequately so its really a matter of opinion.

2. Toronto is not LA or NY
    • Beckham to LA
    • Marquez and Henry to NYC
    LA and NYC are the two of the largest media markets in the world, famous cities that attract wealthy residents from around the world. Toronto is not LA or NY. Henry professed his love NYC 3 years before he signed with the Redbulls. I’ve not heard a single European based soccer star profess his love of Toronto or their desire to live here. If you know of any please let me know? In fact we had pay above market wages to “Scarborough’s Own” JDG to get him to play for his hometown club . Forget about the hometown discount, we have to pay a premium to get hometown boys JDG and Dero to move home. That about tells you how attractive Toronto is as a destination for elite players.

Last edited by scooterTFC; 01-08-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post

1. Age

Birth years for the 3 DP signings you mentioned as well as Dero:
    • Henry - 1977
    • Bechham - 1975
    • Marquez - 1979
    • Dero - 1978

Age has definitely impacted the abilities of Henry, Beckham and Marquez. On the other hand Dero seems to aging like fine wine, having had two of his best offensive seasons (statistically) since turning 30. Certainly age will catch up to him, but perhaps his legs have a few less miles on them then the other three, North American playes develop later, dont spend their teen years get run into the ground at youth academies and play less games. Add in the fact that Dero was a bench player early in his MLS career so maybe his legs just have a little more gas in the tank. Is Dero still in his peak any less of a player then aging star from Europe who is playing out twilight of their career despite diminished ability? There are probably no stats/facts that can answer that question adequately so its really a matter of opinion.

this is a very weak point you have here... especially regarding henry...
    you failed to point out that henry had JUST finished a european season including the world cup... albeit his playing time was very limited, he still played in spain for longer than the entire mls season, then went to the world cup, then came to live in a new continent, to play some fairly primitive football in comparison to playing where henry had just come from... barcas football makes tfc look like preschool football to be fair... ONTOP of that the mls is a very physical league in comparison to la liga, and i think we must judge henry after his next season.. simply because if you take into consideration what he has in his locker, mero isnt even fit to clean henrys shoes, let alone be compared with him...

marquez should not be compared to mero either in my opinion, especially when your comparing them on the basis of goals, since marquez is a defensive midfielder who i believe had been playing centre back... feel free to correct me if im wrong..

beckham was simply damaged goods, and never really got a run of games in this league... but even his dead ball ability was worth more than anything mero ever brought to tfc...

Mero is a class player dont get me wrong... but with one dp spot fuck up.. lets not waste it on another unworthy player.. who as it seems doesnt care much for this team, as shown by his celtic antics...

cheers