Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ ahahahahahha. Now that is something that MLSE woudl do, and I am against. I want a better team on the pitch, stars or no stars. Italian or not.

I never mentioned Dichio because, we will get into is he English or Italian arguemnnt. Which is best avoided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope that is merely a rumour spurred by little italian fan boys as i never want to see this shit in a tfc kit.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    i hope that is merely a rumour spurred by little italian fan boys as i never want to see this shit in a tfc kit.
    ^^ Don't hate missy!! lol

Seriously though, he's not a good fit here.. too much $$$, dont need to waste a DP spot on another defensive player and as stated, hes a distraction to the highest degree.

Besides, there are other players from italy that can appease the italian fan boys... DEL PIERO to TFC!!! lol.. would buy 10 kits with his name on it just cause!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    But it fits the front office's attendance plan LOL

My issue with the graph is that there is no reason to believe that we will be above the average level of play in the MLS by 2019.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    ^^ Don't hate missy!! lol

Seriously though, he's not a good fit here.. too much $$$, dont need to waste a DP spot on another defensive player and as stated, hes a distraction to the highest degree.

Besides, there are other players from italy that can appease the italian fan boys... DEL PIERO to TFC!!! lol.. would buy 10 kits with his name on it just cause!
    Del Piero is also cooked. A player between 30-33 who is declining but not done, can help. I think Del Peiro is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Del Piero is also cooked. A player between 30-33 who is declining but not done, can help. I think Del Peiro is done.
    oh i know... but i can still dream lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean he would add something to this squad, but it would be limitted.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol Del Piero would tear up MLS. hahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    lol Del Piero would tear up MLS. hahaha.
    Just like Beckham, Henry, Donadoni, and Lothar Mataues and other Euro's have torn up MLS over the years.

Oh wait a minute they didn't did they????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ As an Italian I can tell you that the interest in the team is not nearly what it could be. Sure I love football, and I am still young enough to get interested in a local team, but other then the fact that it is a local team that plays football, there is very little of the team that speaks to me as someone that grew up in the Italian football tradition.

I still believe that if you created a team in those traditions you could fill a second stadium in the GTA.

But that is another discusssion.
    Look I am of Italian descent but honestly this is true of all backgrounds in our community not just Italians.

I have really good friends I consider soccer fanatics that would never come down with me to BMO to watch TFC. These are young professionals with moms and dads from Europe and South America that just don't rate MLS. They may know every player in the Premier League, Seria A or La Liga but they could care less about MLS and TFC. I think fans of MLS have to live with that reality especially with the TV coverage and internet resources available in this day and age.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    Look I am of Italian descent but honestly this is true of all backgrounds in our community not just Italians.

I have really good friends I consider soccer fanatics that would never come down with me to BMO to watch TFC. These are young professionals with moms and dads from Europe and South America that just don't rate MLS. They may know every player in the Premier League, Seria A or La Liga but they could care less about MLS and TFC. I think fans of MLS have to live with that reality especially with the TV coverage and internet resources available in this day and age.

Since I watch some TLN and listen to spanish radio I can tell you there is at least SOME coverage of TFC in Spanish. In the Portuguese community there is a rabid fan-base. By far, the community with the most antipathy for TFC is the Italian community. I have Latino and Portuguese friends that were calling me up for tickets every game in the first 3 years (definitely not in in the 4th though...NOBODY wanted tickets, even free ones). None of my Italian friends could barely care less. That has been consistent from year 1 to year 4. In fact, last year they were the most vocal about his lame this team was. Thanks for that TFC.

That's just my personal observance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Since I watch some TLN and listen to spanish radio I can tell you there is at least SOME coverage of TFC in Spanish. In the Portuguese community there is a rabid fan-base. By far, the community with the most antipathy for TFC is the Italian community. I have Latino and Portuguese friends that were calling me up for tickets every game in the first 3 years (definitely not in in the 4th though...NOBODY wanted tickets, even free ones). None of my Italian friends could barely care less. That has been consistent from year 1 to year 4. In fact, last year they were the most vocal about his lame this team was. Thanks for that TFC.

I don't think its fair to single out Italian Canadians. The reality is that there is a sizeable contingent I.C's season ticket holders at BMO every game.

Its safe to say the TFC fanbase is made up of a much younger audience - the kids of the immigrants for the most part perhaps with some youngish newcomers to Canada and add to that some people who grew up playing the game locally and have grown to appreciate it.

The older Italians are a near impossible sell. They gave up on the local game decades ago...I think its safe to assume the same could be said for Brits, Portugesse, Greeks etc.....the older immigrants are a hard sell. My neighbor is a Scottish gentleman, he loves Rangers and rips into me anytime he sees me leaving for a TFC game with my jersey and scarf on. He is in his 60's and the reality is there is nothing I can do to convince him to give MLS a try. The rule is I can talk soccer with him but not MLS.

Perhaps an angle not considered is the sizeable Italian Canadian business sector in Toronto is huge. How many of the corporate boxes at BMO are owned by large corporations with Italian ownership?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never mentioned Dichio because, we will get into is he English or Italian arguemnnt. Which is best avoided.
    He once told me that during World Cups and Euro's his father wouldn't let him watch England games in the house, it was Italy or nothing! I'm sure he has divided loyalties between the two - like I'm sure your kids will support Canada and Italy.

Style wise, as a player he was a traditional English center-forward...but maybe I identy him that way because that's my frame of reference.

I don't mention this to argue the point, just offering an anecdote and an opinion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    We just sold out all of our seasons tickets, even if we 'revived' interest, itd only be amongst inter fans no? AC fans would still dismiss it and id be that a majority of italian fans would still say its a retirement league.

No thanks
    Also i just dont like catering to specific groups with the potential of screwing TFC
    I should have clarified... People at the gates we can fill (or hopefully replace with supporters) to me it's TV Ratings that needs focus. TFC is still far behind every other major sport in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be ok with this if........

TFC signed a Di Natale/Di Viao/Del Piero or Quagriarella type player.

Just sayin`

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

It is the truth. I know a few second generation Italian that are interested in TFC, I know very very few Italians that immigrated that have anything but a passing interest in the club. I have been interested, but as you know I have a hard time with it at times, as it simply does not speak to my footy background.
    Last edited by trane; 12-31-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    He once told me that during World Cups and Euro's his father wouldn't let him watch England games in the house, it was Italy or nothing! I'm sure he has divided loyalties between the two - like I'm sure your kids will support Canada and Italy.

Style wise, as a player he was a traditional English center-forward...but maybe I identy him that way because that's my frame of reference.

I don't mention this to argue the point, just offering an anecdote and an opinion
    He is a traditional English center-froward, but there have been Italian players that play that pure centro-avanti role, Toni comes to mind, Borriello as well, now with Rome.

My kids will support both, I have to force them a bit to support Canada, because clearly there is more glory in supporting Italy. But I tell them Canada is were you were born and you need to support them so they can have the glory they deserve.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love all the hate. If he did come, his first "encounter" with GBS I think he'd be loved.

I still think we need an Italian dp. As I have stated before for me personally Materazzi would be AMAZING! A striker would be ideal an in all honesty I would be satisfied with a quality striker from anywhere.

Ps. No offense Cretan but blood is blood and Dichio is Italian. If you grew up in an Italian house you would know that no matter where you are, what you learn and what you do you are Italian.

There is a lot of hate for all things Italian in this group (not directed at people like you Cretan who make intelligent points) and I will forever smile inside knowing that the first goal scorer for the club and it's beloved hero is ITALIAN!
    Last edited by s2cazz; 12-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with the graph is that there is no reason to believe that we will be above the average level of play in the MLS by 2019.
    Only slightly above average. And not for long lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love all the hate. If he did come, his first "encounter" with GBS I think he'd be loved.

I still think we need an Italian dp. As I have stated before for me personally Materazzi would be AMAZING! A striker would be ideal an in all honesty I would be satisfied with a quality striker from anywhere.

Ps. No offense Cretan but blood is blood and Dichio is Italian. If you grew up in an Italian house you would know that no matter where you are, what you learn and what you do you are Italian.

There is a lot of hate for all things Italian in this group (not directed at people like you Cretan who make intelligent points) and I will forever smile inside knowing that the first goal scorer for the club and it's beloved hero is ITALIAN!
    He was born and raised in england therefore the guy is english

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    I almost posted that, but we're inching closer and close to a debate on nationalism so I didn't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm sure growing up his fellow countrymen considered him as such as well. Especially with the name Daniele Salvatore Dichio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing is for sure he is more English than former English National Team player Owen Whoregreaves!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm sure growing up his fellow countrymen considered him as such as well. Especially with the name Daniele Salvatore Dichio
    And yet he goes by Danny Dicho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    And yet he goes by Danny Dicho
    And named his kids Stevie, Jimmy and Suzanne.

No wait they're Luca, Franco, and Alessia. Anyway, who fucking cares?

Materazzi, if he would come here, would be too much money to spend on a DP defender. If the organization wants to reinvigorate the fan base, they should focus on a DP who would win games. Then we'd have TFC fans in the stands, rather than Inter fans, or Italian fans, specifically.

As an aside, if BMO ever turned into the snooze-fest atmosphere of Juve/Fiorentina last summer, I'd hand over my seasons in a heartbeat. Not a dig at Italians, as I am one, and I understand friendlies are never as vibed up as league play... just focusing on TFC fans, supporting a winning team (preferably that's exciting to watch) would be a better DP objective than relying on exciting some old world loyalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With him, Cann and Nana, we could have the best defense in the MLS. Now we just need some bloody scoring!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non togliermi il pallone e non ti disturbo più
    Sono l'italiano medio nel blu dipinto di blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Io ti tolgo il pallone ho ti spacco le gambe.

My take on old school Italian defensive style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kids will support both, I have to force them a bit to support Canada...
    If I ever have kids they'll be 3th generation Canadians...and I'll have to force them to support Canada hahahaha!! I love this country and love the sport, but the CMNT make it difficult to love them together! Oh well, they'll be TFC fans too, they'll have grown up being let down by their favourite team.