Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are Matthaus and Koeman up to these days?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    GM-Jim Brennan
    Head Coach-Nick Dasovic

Now ask who I want (or more specifically who I DON'T WANT)

Same two names.
    Agreed 100%

This is what will happen and we will have another year in the toilet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As I noted in the news thread, a Bundesliga coach would be an excellent choice, given certain similarities between the Bundesliga and MLS.

Another excellent choice would be Freiburg's current coach, Robin Dutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dutt

He won them promotion recently, and knows how to get value on a modest salary budget.
    I think Robin Dutt would be an excellent fit, however I think the chance of that happening is about a slim as no anti MLSE threads being started tomorrow. You don't go from the Bundesliga to the MLS. Also, maybe he knows how to stretch a budget, but the lowest budget in the Bundesliga is still 10 million + Euros (the figure I heard recently is 13). Maybe we could get Walter Kogler, Dutt's non-union Austrian Bundesliga equivalent.

I'd like to see Ronald Koeman as GM / football supermo with Rafael Carjabal as coach (I guessing coming from the CSL, he could stretch an MLS budget).
    I guess it's all just spec. at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THE GOV. View Post
    I vote for Alan Curbeshly, He turned West Ham around, and currently not attached to a team
    I would also love this very, very much, although I think he left West Ham in part due to fighting with the owners. Not a good sign, given our teams' rather unusual set up. Too Carver-esque.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt he will be able to say much at this point, but TFC is having a Q&A with Earl Cochrane on Wednesday @ 2PM.

http://www.torontofc.ca/node/5101

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    I would also love this very, very much, although I think he left West Ham in part due to fighting with the owners. Not a good sign, given our teams' rather unusual set up. Too Carver-esque.

Thats exactly what this team needs, someone who won't listen to the windbags at the top. Beacause they obviously don't know what they are doing

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Koeman has been a disaster of late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Koeman has been a disaster of late.
    Actually, his rep is deceptive. Look at how many trophies he's won, even at clubs where he was considered to have flamed out. Great at domestic cup competitions, not so hot at the league.

Given how much he'd cost, probably not the best option in that pay grade.

Martin O'Neill resigned from the Prem rather aprubtly at Villa. Maybe he's looking for a new challenge. It would take a mountain of cash, though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exactly.

After initially winning the Eredivisie with Ajax, he flamed out there. He flamed out at Benfica. Though he won the Eredivisie with PSV, they nearly got pipped in the end. He flamed out at Valencia and then AZ.

I like your suggestion of Dwight Lodeweges to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Exactly.

After initially winning the Eredivisie with Ajax, he flamed out there. He flamed out at Benfica. Though he won the Eredivisie with PSV, they nearly got pipped in the end. He flamed out at Valencia and then AZ.

I like your suggestion of Dwight Lodeweges to be honest.
    Chances of us stealing him away from Edmonton are slim to none. He moved back to Edmonton because he wanted to coach at home. From my understanding, he's not getting paid as much as he'd get in Europe, and I'm sure he could have found alternative clubs to FCE there...

I wouldn't be surprised though if we ended up with a Dutchman recommended via Dwight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Martin O'Neill resigned from the Prem rather aprubtly at Villa. Maybe he's looking for a new challenge. It would take a mountain of cash, though.
    I think there is no way Martin O'Neill would want to manage TFC, TFC could not afford the sums of money to tempt him here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Koeman yes (he wont come)
    Matthaus - oh.god.no. (also i think hes coaching bulgaria but wont last long as he never does)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    I think there is no way Martin O'Neill would want to manage TFC, TFC could not afford the sums of money to tempt him here.
    I somehow doubt that. TFC has to be pulling down 6 to 8 million net, if not more.

On top of that, Toronto is so starved for a winning side in a professional league that a strong TFC could "blow up." Especially while the Leafs are down, and especially while the immigrant population of Toronto continues to grow. Yes the football is not great, but it's better than nothing.

A Championship team blows up the profits in terms of merchandising.

TFC and MLSE can afford the investment.

It's just a question as to whether the organization is more concerned with short term profits or potentially much greater long term ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    I somehow doubt that. TFC has to be pulling down 6 to 8 million net, if not more.

On top of that, Toronto is so starved for a winning side in a professional league that a strong TFC could "blow up." Especially while the Leafs are down, and especially while the immigrant population of Toronto continues to grow. Yes the football is not great, but it's better than nothing.

A Championship team blows up the profits in terms of merchandising.

TFC and MLSE can afford the investment.

It's just a question as to whether the organization is more concerned with short term profits or potentially much greater long term ones.
    By that I mean that I dont think the money you are quoting would tempt him to manage this team. MON is a very well off man and he has ambitions which are way greater than managing TFC. I would imagine that he will be looking to manage a top team when he comes back, I would not rule him out of the liverpool job to be honest. I would imagine if he was offered that then he will be on big wages. The only thing that could stop him getting that job would be that he likes to spend a bit of money and the liverpool owners are not too crazy on that at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By that I mean that I dont think the money you are quoting would tempt him to manage this team. MON is a very well off man and he has ambitions which are way greater than managing TFC. I would imagine that he will be looking to manage a top team when he comes back, I would not rule him out of the liverpool job to be honest. I would imagine if he was offered that then he will be on big wages. The only thing that could stop him getting that job would be that he likes to spend a bit of money and the liverpool owners are not too crazy on that at the moment.
    As of March 2009, here are the top 6 EPL managers in compensation, just for comparison purposes, and yes, things have changed since this has been done.

6. Rafa Benitez - 2.5 Million Pound Sterling
    5. Mark Hughes - 3 Million Pound Sterling
    4. Harry Redknapp - 3 Million Pound Sterling
    3. David Moyes - 3.2 Million Pound Sterling
    2. Alex Ferguson - 3.6 Million Pound Sterling
    1. Arsene Wenger - 4.5 Million Pound Sterling

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2009/0...ague-managers/

But, we can afford basically every single manager on there.

The question is not one of compensation but rather of whether they actually want to come over to a league that is considered "Mickey Mouse" and to a club that is a Mickey Mouse outfit within a Mickey Mouse league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Actually, his rep is deceptive. Look at how many trophies he's won, even at clubs where he was considered to have flamed out. Great at domestic cup competitions, not so hot at the league.
    Ah but could that translate into a great MLS success. Shit all year, sneak into the playoffs but winning our domestic trophy tournament-MLS cup.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of March 2009, here are the top 6 EPL managers in compensation, just for comparison purposes, and yes, things have changed since this has been done.

6. Rafa Benitez - 2.5 Million Pound Sterling
    5. Mark Hughes - 3 Million Pound Sterling
    4. Harry Redknapp - 3 Million Pound Sterling
    3. David Moyes - 3.2 Million Pound Sterling
    2. Alex Ferguson - 3.6 Million Pound Sterling
    1. Arsene Wenger - 4.5 Million Pound Sterling

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2009/0...ague-managers/

But, we can afford basically every single manager on there.

The question is not one of compensation but rather of whether they actually want to come over to a league that is considered "Mickey Mouse" and to a club that is a Mickey Mouse outfit within a Mickey Mouse league.
    Agreed, that is pretty much what I was getting at, although I reckon the MLSE could offer O'Neill more than what Fergie is on and he would still turn it down, it is not all about money for some people although I am specualting obviously. Really what is there for a top manager to accomplish in the MLS? Obviously the main prize is winning the league but no one outside of North America would really care if they done that anyway. As for the world club cup, well there is very little chance that any MLS team is going to beat a top European or South American team if they are motivated and I would imagine that they would be motivated as there is a cash sum at stake and the south americans apparently think quite highly of that tournament. I really could not think of any reason why a top manager would want to manage in the MLS?

That is an interesting to see Moyes is ranked third and above Rafa who has delevered way more in his career trophy wise. That is not to say Moyes has not done a good job as he has. Also there is no chelsea manager on that list, surely that cannot be right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Wenger above Fergie is a bit crazy also considering Fergie is going to go down as one of the top managers that has ever lived. Wenger is a great manager though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, that is pretty much what I was getting at, although I reckon the MLSE could offer O'Neill more than what Fergie is on and he would still turn it down, it is not all about money for some people although I am specualting obviously. Really what is there for a top manager to accomplish in the MLS? Obviously the main prize is winning the league but no one outside of North America would really care if they done that anyway. As for the world club cup, well there is very little chance that any MLS team is going to beat a top European or South American team if they are motivated and I would imagine that they would be motivated as there is a cash sum at stake and the south americans apparently think quite highly of that tournament. I really could not think of any reason why a top manager would want to manage in the MLS?

That is an interesting to see Moyes is ranked third and above Rafa who has delevered way more in his career trophy wise. That is not to say Moyes has not done a good job as he has. Also there is no chelsea manager on that list, surely that cannot be right?
    Chelsea might reserve their funding for players or have an alternative payment package which ramps up with trophies, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Wenger above Fergie is a bit crazy also considering Fergie is going to go down as one of the top managers that has ever lived. Wenger is a great manager though...
    The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie has produced the results that his club has needed based on how much he's spent. If you look at Wenger, Arsenal has generally performed above what they're spending at.

Essentially Wenger is better value wise for what you spend on him. Note that now that the money is a bit tighter at Man U, the club doesn't seem to be doing as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely he would! Not a single top flight manager from Europe would even consider working in the MLS in the height of their career. It would be the death knell of their career. You never take a step down to advance your career. Any one of these guys would need to win the MLS Cup 5 years straight to have any sort or recognition for the job they did here

Could you imagine Martin O'Neill comes here and the team has a losing record? No top flight club would be banging down his door to hire him after that.

MLSE should focus on getting the best man for the league we are in. Taking into account all the things we deal with (single entity, salary caps, small rosters, etc.) You could bring in The Special One and it would be a bad investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy Hodgson may soon be available if he doesn't get things turned around at Liverpool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie has produced the results that his club has needed based on how much he's spent. If you look at Wenger, Arsenal has generally performed above what they're spending at.

Essentially Wenger is better value wise for what you spend on him. Note that now that the money is a bit tighter at Man U, the club doesn't seem to be doing as well.
    Yep that much is true but as a fan I would rather have a manager who won trophies than one who focuses on bringing through youth, that is not to say that Fergie does not bring through youth because he does. Man U are always there or there abouts even with less spending money. The top two in England are really so close that it is almost impossible to split them. In the past three / four years Man U have still won:

The premiership:

2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

The league cup:

2008–09, 2009–10

Champions league:

2007–08

Champions league runner up

2008-2009

That tally is really great for any club in the world and more so when you note that Fergie isn't spending as much as some other managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm surpised no one has mentioned Denis Hamlett, who is a free agent now, and did SUPEr well for chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb Porter of Akron, He had a great record and I think he tied the NCAA record for his team with the most shutouts, he has an eye for talent. I think you will see alot of his players in the draft. He also seems to convince these kids and there parents to come to Akron, and that right there is a very hard sell.
    http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2010

Akron's streak began with a 2-0 victory at home against South Florida in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Nov. 22, 2009.

• Among UA's 11 shutout victims, eight were ranked in the NSCAA's top 25, including five opponents in the top five. Furthermore, five shutouts (four against ranked foes) have come on the road.
    • The last goal UA surrendered came in a 2-1 victory over Hartwick in the 2009 MAC Tournament championship. Since that time, Akron has recorded 1,110:59 scoreless minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that more names haven't been leaked. This is really all there is now to speculate on.

As for Caleb Porter, has there been much of a history of NCAA coaches making the step up to MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep that much is true but as a fan I would rather have a manager who won trophies than one who focuses on bringing through youth, that is not to say that Fergie does not bring through youth because he does. Man U are always there or there abouts even with less spending money. The top two in England are really so close that it is almost impossible to split them. In the past three / four years Man U have still won:

The premiership:

2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

The league cup:

2008–09, 2009–10

Champions league:

2007–08

Champions league runner up

2008-2009

That tally is really great for any club in the world and more so when you note that Fergie isn't spending as much as some other managers.
    You're talking in terms of transfer money, I'm talking in terms of payroll.

It's almost a perfect correlation between payroll and league position.

There's almost no correlation between transfer money and league position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I'm surprised that more names haven't been leaked. This is really all there is now to speculate on.

As for Caleb Porter, has there been much of a history of NCAA coaches making the step up to MLS?
    Bruce Arena
    Sigi Schmid
    Schellas Hyndman
    Steve Sampson
    Paul Mariner-was an assistant at Harvard

Caleb Porter turned down DC United last year, I just saw that

What about Colin Clarke he is kicking some butt in the CCL
    Last edited by Mattsp71; 10-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're talking in terms of transfer money, I'm talking in terms of payroll.

It's almost a perfect correlation between payroll and league position.

There's almost no correlation between transfer money and league position.
    I didn't realize you were talking payroll, apologies. I was mainly trying to point out though that your opinion that Man U has not been 'doing as well' as 'money is a bit tighter' isn't actually correct. They are still winning a load of trophies at the top level in football. Almost any club in the world would be over joyed if they had the same success that Man U has had in the past four years.