View Poll Results: Should we pay DeRosario more to stay with TFC

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, where can I send my ticket price increase?

135 48.56%
  • No, don't let the door hit you in the ass you selfish twat

143 51.44%
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    DeRo is all about DeRo,period.

The last true superstar that I ever saw in my life that was not about himself alone was Gretzky. He built his career on assist, not just goals. He made everyone else around him better. I cannot say that about DeRo, I cannot say that about ANY footballer in this day and age. The plain fact of the matter is that star players in our day, in any sport, have big egos.

So the question is, do we want a star on our team or not? If so, then we have to accept that which goes along with that choice.

If we do not, then we should be happy with the team of plumbers and grinders that will never win anything, including something as small as the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would give dero dp money but only $750 for 1 yr,he is a 400k player for any other mls team.
    i like julian he works hard but time to release him and mista.
    go for JPA and playmaker midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    You have never pointed me to a place where you call out other aspects of the team as opposed to DeRo alone. Are you saying DeRo has to perform game in game out but nobody else does? You certainly have been putting that bad run of games on DeRo but I have yet to see where you call anyone else out. It would certainly seem that you expect DeRo to do everything and yet oddly enough think he is surplus as we can do without him all year long?

Are you saying DeRo was not allowed to have a bad run of games, even with legitimate reasons? That a captain never does?Is that your definition of a captain?

Why would I rail on Nick Labrocca or Martin Saric or even Nick Garcia? My expectations of them are so fucking low that it merits zero conversation in my eyes.

I've already said that JDG has been disappointing and not even close to living up to expectations. I think Barrett is bad too. OBW is terrible.

You just hear what you want because it's DeRo.

DeRo has the highest expectations for me on this team (right up there with JDG) and he has not met them for me.

I dont' care if he scores 12 goals or 30 goals. That kind of contribution is clearly not enough. He needs to make his team mates better. So does JDG..and neither of them are capable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not in the playoffs because our team sucks. Not because our captain sucks. We were just as bad (probably worse) with jimmy b.

We take dero for granted. Next to frei, I'm pretty sure he logs the moat minutes than on anyone else on the team. He's earned a raise IMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    There are reasons he never ascended to the next level in this sport.

What, you mean like winning? Maybe even 4 times?

You guys are really funny, pointing to a lack of European years as some sort of mantle of failure. The plain fact is that it always takes players several attempts to make it in Europe. Look at Donovan, are we going to doubt his ability? With DeRo, he made a choice not to pursue that avenue after the initial try for personal reasons. You dont know if he could have made it. Maybe he would have, maybe not. But to state it as evidence of a lack of ability is a false assumption.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is asking the guy to play out the contract he already signed not an option?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would I rail on Nick Labrocca or Martin Saric or even Nick Garcia? My expectations of them are so fucking low that it merits zero conversation in my eyes.

I've already said that JDG has been disappointing and not even close to living up to expectations. I think Barrett is bad too. OBW is terrible.

You just hear what you want because it's DeRo.

DeRo has the highest expectations for me on this team (right up there with JDG) and he has not met them for me.

I dont' care if he scores 12 goals or 30 goals. That kind of contribution is clearly not enough. He needs to make his team mates better. So does JDG..and neither of them are capable.
    So the bolded part has nothing to do with the reason we are not in the playoffs. It is the skippers attitude to blame.

Right...

I dont know what expectations you could possibly have for DeRo that he has not met, but if they are beyond what he has done now, there was never any hope of him meeting them in the first place.

One of my favourite expressions: You cant make chicken salad our of chicken shit. You want DeRo to make an undertalented team a playoff team. Well...sometimes expectations are unreasonable. But I am certainly glad you are not in charge of building this team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah august was brutal but we have to fair to DeRo and Preki when it comes to august performances.We missed at that time 2 strikers,so no wonder DeRo couldn't score and Preki played not to lose.
    FFS we were playing with Ibrahim and OBW as strikers and I think once even with Peterson.

Bad streak or not,show me one player with class and leadership that ever did something similar on the field.

I admire DeRo professionalism on the filed and playing 100% every time he steps on the field,but let's face it he never made it Europe because of his EGO.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His cap hit is lower if he's a Designated Player, and that can free up a supporting cast so he doesn't have to do it all.

De Ro is the only player on this team deserving of a salary above 400 grand.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally Mack View Post
    We're not in the playoffs because our team sucks. Not because our captain sucks. We were just as bad (probably worse) with jimmy b.

We take dero for granted. Next to frei, I'm pretty sure he logs the moat minutes than on anyone else on the team. He's earned a raise IMO.
    Keep in mind that any raise will automatically get him a Designated Player tag.

He is within a few $$$ of the league Max salary for Non-DPs. To shoot over that number requires the DP tag to come along with it.

Only one other non-DP makes more than him in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read the Molinaro article. I thought this part was a bit odd:
    “Well, definitely up there. It’s too long now. Every year I’ve been showing my worth and it’s about time they come to me with something,” stated De Rosario.

“I know of other clubs who have gone to their star players and ripped up their contracts and I think it's only fair. It does get frustrating after a while — after you continue to give your all and perform.”

This seems a bit weird to me. A player signs a long term deal, and if they don't perform, the club is stuck paying them. Why should he believe that his perceived performance above what he is currently paid merits tearing up the contract? The team took a risk signing him for 4 years -- they figured he'd be worth it, but were willing to take the down side of him maybe not performing (also getting the upside of having him locked in at a good price if he "overperformed". He did the same thing -- took the security of knowing he had a 4 year deal, regardless of performance, injury, etc., and also accepted the risk that maybe he'd wind up worth more than that before the term was up.
    Not sure why he should get sympathy for wanting more now......

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Is asking the guy to play out the contract he already signed not an option?

- Scott
    Apparently, not according to him.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    His cap hit is lower if he's a Designated Player, and that can free up a supporting cast so he doesn't have to do it all.
    ^ that is true. Reality is that at most, it would free up $250k if we have allocation money to put against it.

He would also take up the last remaining DP tag we currently have (assuming JDG and Mista's contracts are kept). Is that a good thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Because he signed his contract before JDG adn Mista signed thiers. He saw the big dollars given to those guys and started whining about it.

Mista and JDG have underperformed relative to their compensation, no doubt about it. But that's the club's problem, those guys aren't gonna give their money back.

DeRo is performing to expectations of someone at his salary level. He's using the underperformance of others (and only those underperforming) to set his salary expectations. In the broader context he's getting what he's worth.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last true superstar that I ever saw in my life that was not about himself alone was Gretzky. He built his career on assist, not just goals. He made everyone else around him better. I cannot say that about DeRo, I cannot say that about ANY footballer in this day and age. The plain fact of the matter is that star players in our day, in any sport, have big egos.

So the question is, do we want a star on our team or not? If so, then we have to accept that which goes along with that choice.

If we do not, then we should be happy with the team of plumbers and grinders that will never win anything, including something as small as the CCL.
    One star player wins the game,TEAM wins the championship.
    Since soccer is team sport I'm always for team over the one star player.If you want to win championship team must have chemistry,something we definitely don't have.For that I'm blame MO and ML$E
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    ^^^^ houston got rid of dero to get holden, now they want rid of holden and would probably take dero in a heartbeat

not saying they would pay 1 mill though, but more than he gets here
    You are aware that Stuart Holden has played for Bolton for the last season and a half, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can play out his contract and then see what team will pay him what he thinks he worth.

My guess is that the 400k+ he's making right now is as much money he'll ever make in his career.

He should enjoy it while it lasts.

I would not offer him another contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    ^^ Because he signed his contract before JDG adn Mista signed thiers. He saw the big dollars given to those guys and started whining about it.

Mista and JDG have underperformed relative to their compensation, no doubt about it. But that's the club's problem, those guys aren't gonna give their money back.

DeRo is performing to expectations of someone at his salary level. He's using the underperformance of others (and only those underperforming) to set his salary expectations. In the broader context he's getting what he's worth.
    I agree, but I'll even take the judgement of player performance out of the equation. The fact is that he signed a deal. If he signed it and broke his leg one week later, he'd collect his salary while sitting at home and rehabbing. To that same end, if he plays out of his skin -- let's say he scored 40 goals this year -- the team doesn't pay him more because of that. This is in the definition of a contract... He wouldn't have made a gesture of giving money back while leaving the field on a stretcher, right?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    “I know of other clubs who have gone to their star players and ripped up their contracts and I think it's only fair. It does get frustrating after a while — after you continue to give your all and perform.”
    [/I]

This seems a bit weird to me.
    Me too.

The contract was signed with both parties having the expectation that he would give his all and perform.

DeRo knew what DeRo was capable of and signed his name. Unless of course he signed his contract with the feeling that he was going to play half assed. He is the league's second highest paid Non Designated Player.

If he is going to have a public contract debate, I wish he would come out and say the truth. That he signed the deal before TFC paid JDG and Mista. Clearly, he doesn't believe that they are contributing anywhere near the level he perceives himself to be at.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember in the infamous Montreal game, he scored then took the ball to the center of the pitch and couldn't wait for play to start - so he could score another?

That is the leader and that was what was needed yesterday.

I can even understand his frustration and making the gesture, the media interviews afterwords are probably the biggest mistake.

I do have faith that he will asert himself as captain and get on with it. Its just sad that this year has ended the way it has and we as supporters are left yet again with a club that is struggling on every level to be a football club except in one area - how to raise prices.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't. I trade him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the bolded part has nothing to do with the reason we are not in the playoffs. It is the skippers attitude to blame.

Right...

I dont know what expectations you could possibly have for DeRo that he has not met, but if they are beyond what he has done now, there was never any hope of him meeting them in the first place.

One of my favourite expressions: You cant make chicken salad our of chicken shit. You want DeRo to make an undertalented team a playoff team. Well...sometimes expectations are unreasonable. But I am certainly glad you are not in charge of building this team.

THEY'RE ALL TO BLAME.

This is getting ridiculous. You're the one who has said (many times) that DeRo is not part of the reason we're bad. I'm saying that he's a part of the team and, as such, is part of the reason they're bad. Especially since he's the captain. He HAS to wear some of the blame. What kind of captain says:

"Hey, I've done my part. I score. It's not my fault that we're bad. Show me the respect I deserve in the form of more money. The former GM is a douche bag and he lied to me"

What kind of bullshit is that?

That's Terrell Owens shit...and as far as I'm concerned DeRo is just as big a douche bag. A talented douche bag. All he was missing yesterday was the sharpie being pulled out from his shin guard.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys we don't need seven DeRo threads.I will merge this one .

MERGED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, if he cant be traded he can ahead and hold out and his career will be over when his contract expires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay him, don't renew Mista's contract.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how the question is worded so that his contract is somehow tied to our seasons ticket increase?

I must have missed something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a fair question.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of captain says:

"Hey, I've done my part. I score. It's not my fault that we're bad. Show me the respect I deserve in the form of more money. The former GM is a douche bag and he lied to me"

Many captains say that. It is simply done in private. And since DeRo didnt say anything more than he wants more money, he hasnt said that publicly either.

But believe me, captains say that for sure. I guess they are all bad captains? Or maybe like I said, you have some romantic illusion of what a captain should be?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Time to go and use his $440k salary on 2 younger, more character players. Putting the DP tag on him, with character questions and age is a questionable move.

This one is my favourite part. Because it keeps coming up around here. You guys have been playing on xbox or fantasy trader too long.

Tell me, what guarantees are there that we wont wind up with two Chad Barretts as opposed to two younger DeRosarios?

Because of your dislike for his non-soccer actions, you seem to want to do away with the old proverb "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

DeRo scoring 10+ goals is almost a certainty, not to mention his knack for doing it in big games. Are you saying you can guarantee to get in 2 players at half his price that will equal his production and his clutch scoring? If so, I recommend you submit your resume to MLSE to replace Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many captains say that. It is simply done in private. And since DeRo didnt say anything more than he wants more money, he hasnt said that publicly either.

But believe me, captains say that for sure. I guess they are all bad captains? Or maybe like I said, you have some romantic illusion of what a captain should be?

Okay...I'll take your word for it. All captains say this.

Here's DeRo in a snap shot.

Yesterday, in the first half a ball comes floating into the midfield from the right wing. The ball is coming down from 30 feet in the air and going to land about halfway from the 18 yard box and midfield. We're talking 40 yards out.

DeRo decides that he's good enough to try and hit in on the volley on net. That's his ego. That's how he hurts this team. Btw...I think the shot went out for a throw.

Bring the ball down and make a good decision. Instead he goes for the glory.

There are WORLD CLASS players who dont have the balls to try something like that.

That's why his goals don't matter all that much to me. All they do is overshadow his shortcomings. Which are many. And those hurt the team.