Didn't we just get rid of a Scottish head? :O

FACE to the PALM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting quote on TSN
    http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=333739

TFC stars Dwayne De Rosario and Julian de Guzman confirmed the relationship between the players and their ex-coach was a troubled one.
    De Rosario acknowledged that "sometimes it definitely did affect us in the games" while de Guzman went further, saying "we had our moments where a lot of the guys weren't on the same page as him."
    Asked to explain, de Guzman replied: "Going into games and not being able to express themselves the way they would like to. Not even just players, speaking on behalf of pretty much the entire staff, you'd feel the environment not 110 per cent positive the way a club would need to be if they want to be successful at any level of this game. Being able to express yourself and feel free on and off the pitch meant a lot and that's something that was missing in the group with Preki being involved."
    TFC stars Dwayne De Rosario and Julian de Guzman confirmed the relationship between the players and their ex-coach was a troubled one.
    De Rosario acknowledged that "sometimes it definitely did affect us in the games" while de Guzman went further, saying "we had our moments where a lot of the guys weren't on the same page as him."
    Asked to explain, de Guzman replied: "Going into games and not being able to express themselves the way they would like to. Not even just players, speaking on behalf of pretty much the entire staff, you'd feel the environment not 110 per cent positive the way a club would need to be if they want to be successful at any level of this game. Being able to express yourself and feel free on and off the pitch meant a lot and that's something that was missing in the group with Preki being involved."

Maybe we'll see the true JDG now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    Didn't we just get rid of a Scottish head? :O

FACE to the PALM

He woud be a tough sell to MLSE - never won an MLS CUP and New England have fewer points than TFC - in fact, since TFC have been in the league NE have been getting fewer points each year and it's not like they're going to make the playoffs this year, either. He may be terrific, but it would take someone who really knows the sport to see it.

But you never know, if there's a determined press by the supporters that would probably help.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I'm just like Wow! This is some very serious stuff MLSE is handing down. I guess they are more than just about the Benjamins (or the Bordens)
    Does anyone know anything about Earl Cochrane? I know he's pretty much a interm GM but he could be a big impact during the off season if he's still in the position. I keep searching for him on the internet and all I get is this guy:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Earl Cochrane? I know he's pretty much a interm GM but he could be a big impact during the off season if he's still in the position.
    I doubt he'll be given any authority to do anything...I assume the search for a new manager started today and a decision will be made well before the draft.

I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where does all this leave Leo Percovich? He was brought in by Preki so I'm assuming he is a Mo/Preki guy. Was he part of the assistants' revolt or what? Will he be an outsider in the the technical staff now that both are gone?
    Last edited by tovan; 09-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I doubt he'll be given any authority to do anything...I assume the search for a new manager started today and a decision will be made well before the draft.

I hope.
    Earl Cochrane is there to make sure things run. He won't be making any player moves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Now that Preki is gone, I too can confirm that players confirmed to me that Preki wanted DeRo gone. So for those of you who wondered why I hated Preki from the start, it's because he came in with both guns ablazing wanting to blow up the team that according to most could have been tweaked into doing better. Certainily a league MVP could have fit into his plans.
    dude i wouldnt have supported Preki out had i known this
    Last edited by Ossington Mental Youth; 09-15-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: big difference between would and wouldnt

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post

I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Earl Cochrane is there to make sure things run. He won't be making any player moves.
    Providing MLSE hires a new GM before any deals are made. I'm sure MLSE will put a hold on any new dealings until a new GM can be put in place.
    These are things that will be worked out over the next few months....until then....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    interesting quote on TSN
    http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=333739

Maybe we'll see the true JDG now...
    Which one is that? The one who reluctantly agreed to a contract here only because there were no offers from Europe?

Or the one that missed curfew in the team's second game of the campaign, setting a great example for guys that make $1.6M less than he does?

Or the one that has 2 assists in 31 appearances for the Club?

He is running out of chances in my books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best news of Preki leaving is that he'll take his boyfriend Garcia wherever he goes and Peterson will be their third wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Which one is that? The one who reluctantly agreed to a contract here only because there were no offers from Europe?

Or the one that missed curfew in the team's second game of the campaign, setting a great example for guys that make $1.6M less than he does?

Or the one that has 2 assists in 31 appearances for the Club?

He is running out of chances in my books.
    Pookie's leading the anti-JDG charge tonight No need for me to do any work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting the impression that the players (JDG and DeRo mostly) run this show. They're gonna get the coach they want...who will let them do what they want.

So it's no surprise that they like Dasovic so much.

When the players start dictating the direction of the club nothing good can come from it.

I've always like JDG as a player but I'm starting to wish he and DeRo were elsewhere. DeRo especially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Toast For Mo & Preki - Video Blog

I toast Mo and Preki on their departure from Toronto FC in a special video blog. I will be posting another video tomorrow evening after game one of the Nick Dasovic era when TFC takes on Salt Lake City in the CONCACAF Champions League.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...a-toast-for-mo

Your comments are always welcome.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'm getting the impression that the players (JDG and DeRo mostly) run this show. They're gonna get the coach they want...who will let them do what they want.

When the players start dictating the direction of the club nothing good can come from it.

I've always like JDG as a player but I'm starting to wish he and DeRo were elsewhere. DeRo especially.
    I agree with this. And I wanted Preki out.

This is eerily similar to the Canadian national team under Dale Mitchell. And when you consider that some of the same players are involved maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This photo was taken moments after MLSE announced the sacking of both Preki and Mo. Mo held his own conference and invited a few closed circuit college and university TV stations. He is starting his own mens league team for the winter indoor season and has hired Preki as head coach. First order of business is finding Lombardo and giving him DP money! He also has his eye on a few Lads and is going to fly out to Miami as soon as he can. Now that he has a smaller budget than before he will have to hit Miami instead of Brazil. As a final statement to the press before he gets to work on building a winning side he said "Mo needs his GTL!"
    http://www.onesecondleft.com/ Please visit the one second left blog that I contribute to.

My MLS now includes Montreal... we needed someone to hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might appear as though DeRo and JDG led some sort of player revolt because they were the ones quoted in the media but the fact of the matter is that they had no issues with Preki's demands of a diligent work ethic. DeRo and JDG were always among the hardest workers on the pitch. Their issues stem from allegations that Preki did not implement a tactical approach in practice. Moreover, Preki's abrasive personality had obviously taken a toll on the morale of the club over time. In the last few weeks the situation detriorated to the point where he had a public fued with Mista, he banished Dasovic from the bench, and assaulted a television camera.

I thought Preki's dismissal might have been premature but I accepted it based on the premise that the next GM should reserve the right to hire his own coach. However, my impression is that it has become apparent that he inevitably lost the respect of the players because of his ego, not because of the manner in which he ran practice sessions...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 09-14-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It might appear as though DeRo and JDG led some sort of player revolt because they were the ones quoted in the media but the fact of the matter is that they had no issues with Preki's demands of a diligent work ethic. DeRo and JDG were always among the hardest workers on the pitch. Their issues stem from allegations that Preki did not implement a tactical approach in practice. Moreover, Preki's abrasive personality had obviously taken a toll on the morale of the club over time. In the last few weeks the situation detriorated to the point where he had a public fued with Mista, he banished Dasovic from the bench, and assaulted a television camera.

I thought Preki's dismissal might have been premature but I accepted it based on the premise that the next GM should reserve the right to hire his own coach. However, my impression is that it has become apparent that he inevitably lost the respect of the players because of his ego, not because of the manner in which he ran practice sessions...
    Maybe so but I'm sure we're talking about several egos being involved here...many of which stem from the players side.

I just don't get it when it comes to Preki. Carver resigns.....Cummins is made Interim and ends up lasting longer than the guy that many here were clamoring for prior to his arrival.

A guy who has succeeded far more than TFC has ever been able to accomplish.

A guy who took our biggest problem from the first 3 years (our back line) and made it our biggest strength (apart from gk).

A guy who instilled hard work and "playing for each other" as the main ideas behind success.

Now we're all supposed to be happy that he was fired? Sorry...not gonna buy it.

Mo gone...fine...it was overdue.

But Preki going still seems odd to me. There is more to this story than we're being sold. I mean...he was brought in to change this team from a 3 year bottom feeder to an MLS playoff team right? And we give him 3/4 of a season to do it? How does that make any sense? Why did they hire him in the first place?

If it truly is a house cleaning then I await the dismissal of all the spare parts that were left in the wake of today's actions.

That means this off season I expect:

-all the current coaching/managerial staff to be replaced by a whole new regime. All new people at every position surrounding the first team.

-the players to have ZERO say in who that coaching/managerial staff is made up of.

Anything beyond that and we're in a situation where the patients are running the asylum.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 09-14-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Preki going still seems odd to me.
    Not sure what's so odd about it. The most recent results led to his eventual downfall. We are/were a terrible team playing garbage football. That's all on Preki.

You can't tell me you watched this team in the last few weeks with any optimism for its future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixmo View Post
    I've already reached out to Sven, awaiting an answer.
    I'll be watching the British sports sites -- I wonder how long before someone links his name to us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    You can't tell me you watched this team in the last few weeks with any optimism for its future.
    Yes and no. I didn't think that we were going to be successful this year because we are unable to score goals.

That being said....I had hope of us being successful in the long run if we could manage to acquire a player here and there to address issues.

Kind of how we acquired guys like Gargan and Cann (especially Cann) to shore up our back line and solidify our defensive play.

It's not hard to see that we are set quite well now from the keeper and out to the back line.

That alone is a success to me....or at the very least, building towards success.

I mean....Carver and Cummins were never even able to accomplish something close to that in their time here...yet there were plenty of people talking about how they weren't given a fair shot.

Why is it different now? When we actually had accomplished something.

That's why it's odd.

Yes...Preki has an ego...but, as I heard Dan Dunleavy report on the fan 590 today, he wanted nothing but success for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no. I didn't think that we were going to be successful this year because we are unable to score goals.

That being said....I had hope of us being successful in the long run if we could manage to acquire a player here and there to address issues.

Kind of how we acquired guys like Gargan and Cann (especially Cann) to shore up our back line and solidify our defensive play.

It's not hard to see that we are set quite well now from the keeper and out to the back line.

That alone is a success to me....or at the very least, building towards success.

I mean....Carver and Cummins were never even able to accomplish something close to that in their time here...yet there were plenty of people talking about how they weren't given a fair shot.

Why is it different now? When we actually had accomplished something.

That's why it's odd.

Yes...Preki has an ego...but, as I heard Dan Dunleavy report on the fan 590 today, he wanted nothing but success for this team.
    so u wanted us stick with a manager that had no attacking mentality?

a manager who "strengthened the defence" despite conceding the most shots in the league? (face it frei has been a monster this season and is the reason our defence looks "good")

a manager that brings in plumbers who have absolutely no creativity (u can run all u want, but if u dont know wat to do with the ball, ur useless)

a manager who is unable to change his tactics to fit with wat is happening in the game (losing 1-0 than brings on nane isn't gonna do fuck all)

a manager that brings a negative atmosphere in the dressing room.

ya sounds like a good manager. and do i really have to bring up the veeeerry booooooring style the team plays? no wonder we dont score the attackers are all asleep.

we were doomed since preseason, they waited till a quarter through the season to get a reasonable size roster (wtf is preki and mo doing in the 5 months off? it takes this long to get the players u want? only to end up getting such stars like Peterson and Hscanovic)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That means this off season I expect:

-all the current coaching/managerial staff to be replaced by a whole new regime. All new people at every position surrounding the first team.

-the players to have ZERO say in who that coaching/managerial staff is made up of.

Anything beyond that and we're in a situation where the patients are running the asylum.
    Top players have gained a lot more influence in north american pro sports since the advent of the salary cap. The cap largely equalizes a player's earning potential across a league. Thus non-monetary factors will influence a top player's decision about where to play (or whether to stay with a team), things like reputation of the front office, relationship with coaches/players, and potential influence into key decisions. Its kind of ironic that that managment is losing some control over decision making to players because of the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's next to coach TFC?

This guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki lost me after the Panama debacle.

Cutting off his nose to spite his face (Mista sitting) and his starting 11 choices to ultimately lose to a much (on paper) inferior oppenent. It's almost as if he was willing us to lose.

I'm not one to buy resting players unless it's your luxury to do so. Had they gone up 2-0 or won the game and could rest his starters in later group stage matches, sure...but that mentality/tactical genius was pure stupidity and rendered the whole CCL and preliminary matches as a bunch of BS.

Maybe he didn't get a really 'fair' chance, but man...no way I could stand to watch another season of his brand of football. It is ridiculously boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, if anyone questioned whether or not we're still the laughing stock of the league:

...yep, we still are (this was created by the Crew fuckers earlier today)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Btw, if anyone questioned whether or not we're still the laughing stock of the league:

...yep, we still are (this was created by the Crew fuckers earlier today)
    Since when TFC fans (maybe excluding some supporters) care what other MLS fans think of us? Buck em!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting the impression that the players (JDG and DeRo mostly) run this show.
    Based on what exactly? Evidence please. People here seem intent on demanding facts up until the moment that they want to believe something despite there being no evidence whatsoever to support what they want to believe.

I am around DeRo on a regular basis. Not once has he ever said a bad word about Preki. DeRo is a professional. He is concerned with two things. 1) Winning. 2) The well-being of his family, and all things linked to that effect, mainly being of course his contract.

Other than that, he has no interest in playing politics. His plate is full with his training and with his charitable efforts.

So where in these efforts have you seen or heard anything that indicates DeRo was a main instigator in what happened to Preki? Now YOU are just seeing what you want to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post

for now at least, the inmates have taken over the asylum. new gm (not jimmy b) needs to be given absolute control over who he hires and fires, even if some decisions are unpopular. Preki never had that.
    Dude, Serioux, Gerba, Guevara, Vitti, Cronin.... I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone, were all gotten rid of because Preki wanted them gone. He had that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Mexico View Post
    Dude, Serioux, Gerba, Guevara, Vitti, Cronin.... I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone, were all gotten rid of because Preki wanted them gone. He had that.
    That's nice, apparently he wanted to get rid of de ro, but wasn't allowed to do it. He wasn't given full autonomy over the team. it would be nice if the new guy was given that power. I am way too drunk to be typing right now.