Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pregame: Toronto FC vs. New York Red Bulls (August 11th)

So the Red Bulls will be without 5 players due to international duty.

Sutton probably starting, no Marquez, Lindpere, and Miller I think.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508360

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speculation on the 5 guys that may miss the game:

We've heard the reports already that Red Bulls' goalkeeper, Bouna Coundoul, was called up to the Senegalese national team on the next FIFA International date, August 11. It has also been confirmed that our newest signing, Rafa Márquez, will be playing for the Mexican side against Spain that day.

Now, head coach Hans Backe has said we will be without five players for the Toronto match on August 11. “We will be shorthanded probably with five players against Toronto [Aug. 11] and we will have exhausted players against the Galaxy [Aug. 14] with players coming from Paraguay and Estonia,” Backe said. “I’m a little frustrated by that. I don’t see how that can be fair.”

While no other names are named, a little investigation on the interwebs has helped me to draw reasonable conclusions. First off, Backe says that a player will be returning from Estonia. Clearly that is Joel Lindpere (pictured), who already has 74 caps and 5 goals for his country. They are beginning their Euro 2012 qualification on August 11 against Faroe Islands.

Coach Backe also mentioned a player returning from Paraguay. As it turns out, Costa Rica is playing a friendly in Paraguay, which leads me to believe that Roy Miller has gotten a call. He's been capped 14 times, including in both of Costa Rica's World Cup playoff matches against Uruguay.

Finally, this story appeared in the Trinidad Express newspaper today, confirming that Dane Richards has been called up for Jamaica's friendly and Carribean Cup tune-up against Trinidad and Tobago.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Great News

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    So the Red Bulls will be without 5 players due to international duty.

Sutton probably starting, no Marquez, Lindpere, and Miller I think.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508360

That's the best news I heard today.
    F the Shitbulls, can't wait till Wednesday...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be content with a draw, and thrilled with a win from this game. Marquez or not, they are still going to be packing two of the best strikers in the league up front.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's up with Carl Robinson? he still injured? It'd be interesting to see Carl and Sutts out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HENRY JUST GOT INJURED!!!!!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this will be a nice birthday present if we can pick up a win on wednesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice that TFC has an extra day of rest on the Bulls before this game.
    And NY has to play Saturday, so they'll be a little more tired and also trying to balance playing time between this game and the one on Sat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ good points.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to attending this game Wednesday night, it will be great to see the new Red Bull Arena while cheering on the Reds to victory.

The Reds will have to be strong on the back four, keeping JPA and Henry in check. Three points would be huge and I truly believe they have a great chance to get them.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    HENRY JUST GOT INJURED!!!!!

- Scott
    “We should have won the game,” said Henry, who doesn’t expect to miss any time after leaving the game in the 45th minute with a groin injury. “We had chances to win the game, but Chicago and their goalkeeper had a great game.”

BUT

Angel fed Henry on the run, but he got tangled up with a defender in the box and Johnson smothered the ball.
    But he tweaked his groin—he left New York’s exhibition against Manchester City with a similar injury—and left in the 45th minute.
    “For me, it’s the preseason,” said Henry, who signed with New York on July 14 after being released by Barcelona. “Guys out there are fully fit and it’s not easy to try and get fit. But I’m going to try and do it as fast as I can.”

This is an injury that hasn't fully healed so he may be sidelined for either the 1st or 2nd half of Wednesdays match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC sits just 2 points back of the Shite Bulls for 2nd place going into this game. I think a tie would be acceptable to keep us in striking distance. That being said I hope Preki does not decide to start the game with a sit back mentality because we have all seen how that works out...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. We need to come out guns a blazing fro this game.

Something like this might be the right formation.

-------------Frei----------------
    Usinov--Nana--Cann--Garcia
    -------------JDG----------------
    Peterson----------------Labrocca
    -------------De Ro-----------
    --Barrett--------------Santos--
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with this:

-------------Frei----------------
    Usanov--Nana--Cann--Garcia
    -------------Nane----------------
    JDG--------------------Labrocca
    -------------De Ro-----------
    --Barrett--------------Santos--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garcia defending Kandji -> a scary thought!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section225 View Post
    Garcia defending Kandji -> a scary thought!

don't worry, Kandji will miss the shot, as he did last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    don't worry, Kandji will miss the shot, as he did last night.
    That, and Hscanovic guarding Kandji is a scarier thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"HENRY JUST GOT INJURED!!!!!"

- Scott

As long as he can still use his hand, he's good to go. Read: bitter irishman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expectations for a result at Red Bull Park just increased substantially with the NY roster update. However, if the moribund squad that showed up in Philly or KC rears it's ugly head again we could be in for a long night on Wednesday. If Preki is to be recognized as a great manager rather than just a competent manager, he must guide this club to respectability on the road...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the deal with Mista? TFC brought him in with a bunch of fanfare and no one is even discussing him as a starter on this team anymore... He's made some decent passes here and there but he just looks slow as molasses when he runs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    What's the deal with Mista? TFC brought him in with a bunch of fanfare and no one is even discussing him as a starter on this team anymore... He's made some decent passes here and there but he just looks slow as molasses when he runs.
    He's not match fit. Hopefully he'll be contributing more in a few weeks. If not, his contract only runs to the end of the season.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the new developments I dont think he's the right fit at his pricetag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were in the same boat vs LA during WC qualies...think it was 5 starters for us...

F'em....Blame MLS if anything.......international dates should be honored!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually hope they start him between Barrett and Santos (if healthy).
    It seems to me that Mista is someone we can trust to take a pass up front and then make a quality play towards goal. If he can play in front of and link up with Dero they could be a deadly combo in terms of creating great chances....of course this is based on a few brilliant flashes so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we play top heavy in this match. There is no point to sit back in the slightest because when we do that we are basically giving away the three points.
    We still might lose if we play an offensive style but at least we have some sort of a chance if we try it.
    A fluke early lead could really be what TFC could use to finally get some road points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maicon sat out of practice today and will likely miss the NY game. Time for Mista to step up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I hope we play top heavy in this match. There is no point to sit back in the slightest because when we do that we are basically giving away the three points.
    We still might lose if we play an offensive style but at least we have some sort of a chance if we try it.
    A fluke early lead could really be what TFC could use to finally get some road points.
    Agreed: There is no doubt in my mind we have to go out attacking in this game. Without Marquez in the DM role, NY's weakest link is their defense. You can't possibly think you are going to sit back against Henry and Angel and that you'll be able to contain them. So long as the ball is on the NY side of the field those guys can't make an impact. As soon as we sit back we are toast. If we play 1 striker in this game I will turn the television off and say good night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Agreed: There is no doubt in my mind we have to go out attacking in this game. Without Marquez in the DM role, NY's weakest link is their defense. You can't possibly think you are going to sit back against Henry and Angel and that you'll be able to contain them. So long as the ball is on the NY side of the field those guys can't make an impact. As soon as we sit back we are toast. If we play 1 striker in this game I will turn the television off and say good night.
    I hope this isn't the case yet again. My only complaint about Preki has been his maddening change in philosophy on the road. Start the match with one striker up front and then make adjustments at half time. It's no wonder TFC are world beaters at home and beat themselves on the road. Let's see what happens if we go for the jugular on the road the rest of the way, please!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post

I agree...

I'm always for 'trying to win' over 'playing not to lose' in a league match like this...

If we sit back, poor Frei will be under seige and even if he has the best game of his career won't be able to keep the clean sheet...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attack,Attack,Attack