Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    ^Okay, that's a fair point, but the salary cap keeps going up, while the DP cap hit stays the same. Also, as long as JDG's cap hit doesn't directly prevent us from signing other players, then this shouldn't be an issue.
    Technically it didn't of course as the DP Cap Hit dropped to $335k this year. Sure it effects what we can do but heck, we are going to have a second DP on the team within weeks (at a $167.5k cap hit) and there are sill rumours of other moves (though not necessarilly a 3rd DP). Mo has room with which to work.

I do agree with you about JDG. AFAIC, JDG is the best player on this team (and was the best player on either team last night) especially now that DeRo is struggling. I think we can expect more than one good goal scoring opportunity from him but last night that's all we got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC 420 View Post
    Actually the cap hit for a DP was droped from $430,000 to $330,000 in the new CBA. So teams can have 3 DP salaries for about $1 million towards the cap.
    Even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even better.
    Actually it is $335k or $167.5k for a half season which I'm guessing will be Mista's salary cap hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even even better.

But is Mista 100% confirmed (as much as is possible)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is Mista 100% confirmed (as much as is possible)?
    it's gotta be 99%, as he was sitting a few rows behind me last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Fantastic player - yup....

But clearly there's 1000's of blind managers all around the world who didn't offer him a spot in all these higher leagues...

Carts...
    From JDG's own mouth he said Espanyol, Osasuna and Almeria and several other clubs wanted to sign him but didn't have any non-EU roster slots left (most leagues in Europe including spain have a limit of 3 non-EU players per team). It's not as simple as being good enough. JDG is still highly regarded in Spain. He won player of the year for Depor, a MOTM award against Real Madrid, several La Liga Best XI team of the month awards. If he had an EU passport he'd still be in spain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    it's gotta be 99%, as he was sitting a few rows behind me last night.
    I honestly thought we'd hear something yesterday. The rumour I've heard is that the delay is administrative with the league and the international transfer certificate or whatever they call it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess FIFA's too busy with that whole World Cup thing going on to do their everyday paperwork

Heathen

JDG doesn't want to be here, end of story. If any Spanish club had offered him a multi-year deal (which supposedly would have allowed him to get Spanish citizenship and thus became an EU player) he'd have bitten their hands off. As it was he got a one year offer from Espanyol. I feel sorry for him he's not suited to this league and his abilities will never benefit TFC enough to justify the salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess FIFA's too busy with that whole World Cup thing going on to do their everyday paperwork
    MLS summer transfer window opens July 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    MLS summer transfer window opens July 15.
    RBNY are announcing their DP on the 14th so I expect our announcement to come around the same time

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    without going into value of DP debate, JDG is not even the best DM in the league. Shalrie Joseph is. even Osvaldo Alonso is better than JDG
    Not sure I agree completely. The all bring different elements to he role. But certainly I do agree that the price disparity makes Joseph and Alonso much better values for the money than JDG.

In my opinion, we wasted the opportunity to bring a real impact player. A winger or striker is where the first DP should have gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, where's Dickov?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Not sure I agree completely. The all bring different elements to he role. But certainly I do agree that the price disparity makes Joseph and Alonso much better values for the money than JDG.
    I believe that with under new rules, Shalrie Joseph is a bigger salary cap hit than JDG. DeRo is too, for that matter.

Alonso is having a terrible year IMO, but that's neither here nor there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    without going into value of DP debate, JDG is not even the best DM in the league. Shalrie Joseph is. even Osvaldo Alonso is better than JDG
    Osvaldo Alonso had a pretty good season last year, but he has been dreadful this year.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really care if "this guy on Team A is better or the other guy on Team C is better" than JDG.

What is my DP doing for me? IMO, he has to be you club's best player week in, week out...DeGuzman, clearly is not TFC's best and most valuable player.

Someone refresh my memory...what is our record without JDG in the lineup?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this very interesting... From the Toronto FC's own site, they refer to JDG in the following way in today's article...

"...can likely look forward to a multi-game suspension to its most expensive player..."

Team websites are always (for good reason) bias, over positive, and "pro" their own side. But DeGuzman is now being referred to with his pricetag...

It may seem like nothing, but really its not...

This could have been written:

"...can likely look forward to a multi-game suspension to its star midfielder..."

"...can likely look forward to a multi-game suspension to its experience international star player..."

"...can likely look forward to a multi-game suspension to its highly skilled defensive midfielder..."

Instead, the pricetag was written, approved, and published...

In a company like MLSE, who keep an eye on everything, and will review and approve everything - its little things like this that lead you to beleive they are lossing their faith in the money they're spending, and putting pressure on JDG to starting making a bigger impact...

For us fans, JDG costs $400k (b/c that's the cap hit), for MLSE JDG costs the $3m (or whatever the exact deal was) as that is what's out of their wallet...

In my opinion, the boys writing the pay cheques probably think they aren't getting enough bang for their buck - that's where they need to have faith in the actual football people to express the impact, role, and performance each player has on the team as a whole...

Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 07-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of money between him being DP and his wages now really are not that different when applied towards the cap. That is what we should be looking at. We are clearly a different team without him and should sign him long term. Anybody who thinks we would be where we are without him is fooling themselves. I say lock him up long term and let him retire from TFC down the road.
    In the short term lets find somebody to help him and in turn put us over that hump that we have been fighting since the teams inception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now see it is posts like this that I don't understand. What are you guys seeing in him that leads you to believe that we wouldn't be where we are today without him? I can get it if someone was making that claim about Dero but seriously ... JDG?

Also, he has ambitions of playing in Europe once more ... he is not going to want to sign some super long term extension with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my mistake. I was jumping between posts and was rewfering to DERO.
    cheers,
    jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think JDG has 2 big problems:

1. He is trying too hard and getting injured or overzealous while overplaying the average ball. He is not relaxed and taking over games as i believe his skill set could allow. Much of this because he knows people are watching him, looking for him to make the difference and thinking about his salary and he's struggling under that pressure.

2. He needs better players, along that middle line especially, to play with. Sanyang and Peterson are not strong enough starters to bring the best out of him game in and game out. Add starters Garcia and OBW lately to make that situation harder.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-NUTZ View Post

2. He needs better players, along that middle line especially, to play with. Sanyang and Peterson are not strong enough starters to bring the best out of him game in and game out. Add starters Garcia and OBW lately to make that situation harder.
    I think that's the biggest one. So many times, I've seen him pass into space, however, his lower-quality team-mates fail to read the play, and then an opposition player scoops it, making it look like JDG has given away the ball.

Sad to say, but he would have had a massive positive impact on a team like LA.

TFC? Not as much.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-05-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% agree with OP. Everyone else is LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think that's the biggest one. So many times, I've seen him pass into space, however, his lower-quality team-mates fail to read the play, and then an opposition player scoops it, making it look like JDG has given away the ball.

Sad to say, but he would have had a massive positive impact on a team like LA.

TFC? Not as much.
    That is so true.

But then doesn't stuff like that also come down to tactics and strategy, and is worked out on the training ground?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is so true.

But then doesn't stuff like that also come down to tactics and strategy, and is worked out on the training ground?
    One would think, but having coached myself (at a youth level), you can only work with what you are given. Some players instinctively have very good football sense, many can be trained to have decent football sense, and others are just going to be behind no matter what the coach does. It applies at the youth level, but also on a higher level in the pro game.

In MLS, the roster restrictions and salary cap conspire to guarantee you at least some sub-par players. If you have a GM who mismanages the cap (ie. MoJo), it makes things that much harder for the coaching staff.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember Cummins (or maybe Carver) saying similar things last year -- that some of the players just did not have basic football sense so he couldn't do anything with them.