Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    When I used to support the Vancouver 86'ers, Swanguard's capacity was around 10,000. Not sure if its changed now. It's funny that people complain Toronto "only" gets 19,000 but Vancouver draw 4,000. For a team that is supposedly in the middle of MLS fever, thats pathetic.
    Swangard's capacity is around 5,300 for Whitecaps games. It's capacity is a bit higher for Canadian national team games (6,900), though it's been almost five years since our men's team played its last game at that facility.

No matter how you analyze it, anything less than a sell-out in a stadium of that size looks pathetic, especially when important cup ties are being played. That said, even the Seattle Sounders didn't draw well in their last season in USL-1. Vancouver's attendance will be dramatically higher next season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    Swangard's capacity is around 5,300 for Whitecaps games. It's capacity is a bit higher for Canadian national team games (6,900), though it's been almost five years since our men's team played its last game at that facility.

No matter how you analyze it, anything less than a sell-out in a stadium of that size looks pathetic, especially when important cup ties are being played. That said, even the Seattle Sounders didn't draw well in their last season in USL-1. Vancouver's attendance will be dramatically higher next season.
    It was a long time ago. I think they had more bleachers at both ends - thanks for the info, saves me having to look it up. I thought it was hilarious that the "south end" seemed like a couple of picnic tables stacked together with about 20 fans singing. They make Columbus look good lol.
    God I hate Vancouver...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver has a higher average attendance than both Seattle Sounders and Toronto Lynx when both were in A-League/USL1. With MLS coming, attendance should rise to near Seattle levels once hockey season is over. The original NASL Whitecaps averaged over 20,000 in their later years in the late-70s and early 80s. They also had over 100,000 fans show up to their victory parade after winning the 1979 Championship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6dGbAFdOJQ

Vancouver is a hockey town and the Canucks, for most, are the only game in town until playoffs are over (foreign concept in Toronto I know). Had last night's game been played on a weekend and on a night when the Canucks weren't playing 2nd round home playoff game there's no doubt Swangard would've been a packed house.
    Last edited by tovan; 05-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should win this tournament. I was not impressed by either side last night and was not impressed by MTL before. I definately think we have more dangerous players in DeRo, JDG and Barrett. Yeah Barrett, when paired with someone I think he is getting to become more dangerous and in the past few weeks has shown a lot of growth.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tovan View Post
    Vancouver has a higher average attendance than both Seattle Sounders and Toronto Lynx when both were in A-League/USL1. With MLS coming, attendance should rise to near Seattle levels once hockey season is over. The original NASL Whitecaps averaged over 20,000 in their later years in the late-70s and early 80s. They also had over 100,000 fans show up to their victory parade after winning the 1979 Championship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6dGbAFdOJQ

Vancouver is a hockey town and the Canucks, for most, are the only game in town until playoffs are over (foreign concept in Toronto I know). Had last night's game been played on a weekend and on a night when the Canucks weren't playing 2nd round home playoff game there's no doubt Swangard would've been a packed house.
    If we're talking used too's, didn't New York used to draw more than 20,000 around that time and look how far they've come too lol...
    I have no doubt the Whitecaps will do well at the gate when they start in MLS. I just find it pathetic that 4,000 show up for a game of this magnitude, hockey play-offs or not.
    As a former 86'er fan, I found it so frustrating going to games at Swanguard. Their idea of a promotion was giving tickets away to 6 year olds soccer teams. They would announce birthdays etc over the PA in the middle of games. Even some of my friends who were die hard footy fans stopped going and eventually I did too. Watching that game on TV last night, it was just embarassing I've seen better atmosphere at high school volley ball games.
    It's funny, TFC is like the opposite (good atmosphere but bad on-field results). But I'd rather have BMO atmosphere and lose every game than win games and sit on bleachers golf-clapping with a couple hundred losers.
    Hopefully the city embraces MLS and I think the franchise has the tools in place to be succesful.
    Last edited by dannyd; 05-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    hockey play-offs or not.
    Just wait 'til TFC play a weekday game on a night the Leafs are in the playoffs at home.

It's been a while since we've had playoff fever in this city, and TFC have only been around during this current Leafs downturn. Once the Leafs are back, baby is MLS going to take a back seat.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    TFC should win this tournament. I was not impressed by either side last night and was not impressed by MTL before. I definately think we have more dangerous players in DeRo, JDG and Barrett. Yeah Barrett, when paired with someone I think he is getting to become more dangerous and in the past few weeks has shown a lot of growth.
    And this scares me to a point. If TFC think this as well then they may not show up in MTL, but I do think playing MTL in the 1st match was good in that TFC now knows that this is a fight tournament and not a soccer tournament.