Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
I'm far from a "All Canadian Homegrowns Forever!" guy but if we can successfully develop young players like NYRB then I am all for it. I hope we turn into what NYRB were. Winning shields and being top drawer consistently sounds good to me.
We should be able to do both, we'd be a powerhouse if we can actually incorporate our local talent while still spending big on DPs/TAM players. I've become a big fan of our national team over the last few years and think we're missing out on all these really good local players.

We're lucky that the club is spending big on DPs, if you compare us to NYRB or FC Dallas (probably the best team in terms of homegrowns), we've had way better DPs recently. Right now Pozuelo, a hopefully healthy Altidore, and whoever we sign will likely be the best DP combo outside of the LAs or Atlanta.

Then you have around 6 spots filled by TAM players, our current ones are really solid (especially considering Bradley is now one). Throw in maybe a few veterans like Deleon and Westberg and already you have a solid core.

Beyond the players I've listed I honestly think the rest of the roster should be our homegrowns unless we're severely lacking in certain spots like GK or CB. I know there are a lot of TFC fans who hate on our Canadians for some reason but they're a lot better than people give them credit for and I think they don't get enough chances. People bring up that they have to earn their spot but some do yet they still don't get playing time, meanwhile Vanney gives a lot of Americans continued chances even if they play like ****. We've had to pay money to watch Ben Spencer (HOW DID HE CONVINCE MANAGEMENT THAT HE'S A PROFESSIONAL SOCCER PLAYER?!?!?!?!?!), Terrance Boyd, Patrick Mullins, nephew, etc.

People hate on Jordan Hamilton but he actually scored a few important goals and at times looked decent, I'm not going to use him as a main example of said local talent but the 18 appearances made between Boyd/Spencer could have gone towards development and playing time for him instead. Then they get rid of him for Mullins, a guy so useless that we were better up top in the playoffs without playing a striker. I'm sure Perruzza or even Akinola are already better than him. Even Delgado had a bunch of awful games in I think 2018 but will never lose his spot, I know he did look decent last year but if he was Canadian I'm sure Vanney would bench his ass. Look at Fraser as a guy who hasn't put a foot wrong but doesn't get enough play time. He looked great in the disaster that was 2018, he looked great whenever he played last year and he has been great for our NT. Laryea basically helped us get to the finals last year yet doesn't get a start all playoffs, Morrow has lost a bit of a step and Auro can play LB but we didn't see that happen.

I also think we miss out on too many players, I know some might have wanted to take a different path than TFC such as NCAA but here are some youngish guys from Southern Ontario: Godinho, Cornelius, Manjrekar James, Kamal Miller (that's a kinda solid backline right there), Kaye, Borges, Buchanan, Liam Millar, Larin, St Clair, plus a few CPL guys that looked good. I know I'm turning this into a rant but I truly think some of these kids have high ceilings and it's worth playing them even if they make some mistakes. Let's see what Okello, Perruzza, Shaffelburg, and Fraser are actually capable of. If Nelson shows that he can contribute, give him some minutes. Don't acquire some below average player within the league because you're scared to play the kids.