Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
I don't know who these people are or what they said. Grass guys or not grass guys, or whatever.

I also don't understand these so called back up pitches that may or may not exist.

What I do know is that the BMO pitch is essentially grass on sand. I know that during the summer the big issue is to keep it moist because it does not retain water that well and became very firm at times.

I know that now they have the opposite problem do to moisture in the air being next to the lake, when the sun goes down that field is slippery. Also, it damages much easier and repairs become harder to make. So hard in fact that they have begun using hydroseeding to cover up patches and divots.

I also know the Argos tore the shit out of that field the other night and the past few games. I imagine tfc does too, but to a lesser extent. I know that the Argos have never played in the rain yet at BMO and the grounds crew is counting their blessings for that. A rain game in November would be a huge disaster for the pitch.

I don't know the mechanics of a new turf or what goes into it. Is it like laying sod that will need to take to the roots? I have no idea how that will work. It's getting down to single digits at night and fall weather during the day. It is not easy to maintain anything that grows outdoors this time of year.
Back when it was first announced that the Argos are coming in, there was a bunch of info about all the plans, incl. the backup pitch being grown. It's mentioned in the following article for example, backup fields being grown in Mount Hope, ON. I think they can even use tarps etc. to grow the sod in bad/cold weather. Sod would be cut extra thick & heavy so it would lie better after installing at BMO.

There were other articles with more info at the time, but here's one: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/0...itch-bmo-field