Threaded View

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

Calling TFC supporters "smug" or "arrogant" in 2016 is just laughable. Ten years in the wilderness doesn't leave much room for arrogance.
    This. The fact is in 2007 we were smug and arrogant. Even some supporters here would go on other teams supporter's boards (especially on Big Soccer) and tell them how we were so much better than theirs. We were arrogant jerks and deserved a time in the wilderness (as you said). We got what we deserved, and then some.

Over the years we lost that arrogance, and frankly some other teams built better support than we had as we struggled. So many supporters and fans cracked up, gave up, and said "I can't take it any more!" (I came close just before Mariner was fired myself). Those of us who stubbornly hung on said "it will be so much sweeter that we stuck it out when we finally have a winning team" but by the time Mariner was exiting that felt like bravado more than reality.

Then we started using the chant the "Reds go marching in" with the line "we'll never give up till we won the cup." "Yeah, right I thought." Yet here we are, and the unbelievable has come so close, and not only has TFC come to the cup final but it's at home! This is a dream that goes beyond my faint hopes of some day making the playoffs. This is the dream scenario where it could actually all come true and our club wins the cup in front of all of us.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-02-2016 at 07:50 AM.