Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Onward! -- The defence rests

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you. I am really hoping that there is a plan A,B and maybe even C with the trading of Marshall ahead of signing anyone else. I know there is still time before the beginning of the season but if we are going to get a new quarterback on the back line than it would be more beneficial if he would have the preseason to get settled. The longer it takes to get the new acquisition, the more time during regular season play it will take for the back line to get settled and possibly causing us to drop some points early. Hopefully the "best defense is a strong offense" will play some kind of part to ease the transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way 3 at that back works is if Marvell Wynne and Jim Brennan play as wing backs.

So 3-5-2, or 5-3-2, its an easily adabtable formation.

As of the players we have right now ....

------------------------------- SUTTON

--------------- VELEZ ------- HARMSE ------------ NANA

- WYNNE ---------------------------------------------------- BRENNAN

----------------------------- ROBINSON

---------RICKETTS ---------- GUEVARA -------------- DE ROSARIO

--------------------- ----BARRETT or VITTI

1. Brennan and Wynne can overlap or underlap Ricketts and De Rosario for attacking options because they are somewhat, but not entirely freed from defensive responsibility.

2. Guevara in the center gives are most skillful player the most time on the ball.

3. Robinson can drop deeper than normal if required.

4. If we're winning and trying to hold a lead Wynne and Brennan can stay back and form a 5 men defense.

5. It's a little bit light on the defense, but I trust Robinson can organize things adequately enough that we shouldn't get burned too often.
    Last edited by LucaGol; 02-16-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    The only way 3 at that back works is if Marvell Wynne and Jim Brennan play as wing backs.

--------------------- VITTI --------------- BARRETT

1. Brennan and Wynne can overlap or underlap Ricketts and De Rosario for attacking options because they are somewhat, but not entirely freed from defensive responsibility.

2. Guevara in the center gives are most skillful player the most time on the ball.

3. Two strikers is always better than one imo. Especially in this league.

4. Robinson can drop deeper than normal if required.

5. If we're winning and trying to hold a lead Wynne and Brennan can stay back and form a 5 men defense.

6. It's a little bit light on the defense, but I trust Robinson can organize things adequately enough that we shouldn't get burned too often.
    You're right, that would be quite the awesome formation, unfortunately the other team might notice us fielding an extra player...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pile of horse manure is more effective than Velez... That would actually keep the attackers away. 3-5-2 with Brennan the Wynne as WBs sounds plausible, but is Jimmy really that fast? Either way, Velez at the centre of any defence is just asking for trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    You're right, that would be quite the awesome formation, unfortunately the other team might notice us fielding an extra player...
    I doubt the MLS refs would realize it.

Edit: Fixed it.
    Last edited by LucaGol; 02-16-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a tough situation, I don't believe we have depth in the midlle of defense to make 3-?-? our "main" formation. Both Wynn and Brennan would be wasted in the middle of the d, they got to be played wide, especially Wynn. Sticking him into 3 at the back would be a crime.

My current (no new signings) thinking is that we could use something a long the lines of:

Wynn ---- Velez - Harmse ----Brennan
    -------- Cronin ----- Robbo
    --- Rickets -- Guevara -- De Ro
    ------------- Dichio

If Vitti really show a lot of promiss..

Wynn ---- Velez - Harmse ----Brennan
    ------------ Robbo ----
    ------ Rickets ---- Guevara
    ------------ De Ro
    ------- Dichio -- Vitti

The second formation is for home games? First one would be good for away 1-1 and 0-0 games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another Defender on the way

I very reliable source advised that another South American defender is on the way. Paperwork for entry into Canada is being done as we type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lucster View Post
    I very reliable source advised that another South American defender is on the way. Paperwork for entry into Canada is being done as we type.
    so he's signed or on trial?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow this is like breaking news day on the board...lot of sources on here...

Btw..how many time did we see Velez misjudge a header...miss...and cause us a goal...he is at best a sub...with trading Marshall, there better be support on the way !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to keep on ragging on you Ben. We agree that our team gave up quite a number of sloppy goals, and the D looked out of position on those goals. But you must admit that most of those sloppy goals were made out of giving up the ball cheaply on our possession. If we're attacking and bringing up numbers to support that attack, and the halfs lose the ball in the wrong place, then we have potentially Wynne or Brennan making their way up the flank and the CB compensating for that...that's why it looks so bad at the time of counter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post

--------------------- ----BARRETT or VITTI

3. Robinson can drop deeper than normal if required.

4. If we're winning and trying to hold a lead Wynne and Brennan can stay back and form a 5 men defense.

5. It's a little bit light on the defense, but I trust Robinson can organize things adequately enough that we shouldn't get burned too often.
    If played as more of a 5-3-2 it would be a better option. I would like it, but you would still hope for a more established CB in the midle of it all.

I agree with much of the observations in the article, about last season, do many goals were just pure shite play on our part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing 3 at the back with wing backs requires that your back 3 are much more competent than the ones we have, and that the wing backs are much better at tracking back than Wynne is. Not a sound idea, IMO.
    I still believe that defense doesn't matter much in this league. As Ben pointed out, NE let up as many goals as we did. If I was starting an MLS team from scratch, I'd build to out-gun the opposition, Kevin Keegen style. Defenses in the league are bad. Score 2 or 3 a game and you'll win more than you lose.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good article. Agree with most of the points.

I'm not too worried about our lack of CB yet. I would be extremely shocked that neither Mo nor JC are working their butts off right now to get the CB(s) we need. If most of the fans realize the urgency, I would think they would too. They have acknolwedged that hole in the team many times. I'm sure we will hear something soon. Hopefully I'm not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    ... But you must admit that most of those sloppy goals were made out of giving up the ball cheaply on our possession. .....
    I agree that's part of the problem. But IMHO, no matter how you look at it, sloppy goals, specially during critical times, are going to be blamed mostly on the back line. Where did you see us give up the ball? The opponent's half? That is going to happen, that's where attackers will get riskier and lose the ball. It's up to our midfield to get that ball back but If our defenders are caught off guard like that then we have problems. On our own half? I saw that many times last year. Our defenders (I would even throw Robo there, don't kill me) do not know how to come out playing with the ball. They'll lose it in the attempt or just blast it up field where possession is lost again. I remember one game where I counted close to half of our loss of possesssion was due to those kicks up field. Regardless of how you look at it, possession will be lost. The point is, our defenders should be able to handle the counter attack even if it was a cheap lost of possession or not. They couldn't do that last year. It's never going to be perfect but the sloppiness of our backline last season needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by loconet; 02-17-2009 at 11:56 AM.