Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    ^^ Spot on Trane. Yesterday morning, Setanta reported a deal worth $20 million pending approval. That would have been a nice chunk of change for the league and for the Galaxy.

So what happens now? Thanks to Garber playing the petulant twat Beckham plays in LA for one more season, which he uses to audition for another club (be it Inter or no) then he leaves on a free at season's end.

Mickey League Soccer winds up with egg on their face and lint in their pockets.
    People thought that my observations were because I was a Milan supporter, but it is just not the way to negotiate if you are realy interested in making a deal.

However, if Shakes was right and there was not second offer then at some point you had to close the door. But from all reports negotiations were continuing. This is not going to be good PR for the league, Maldini already came out and made comments about Becks wanting to play real football, Maldini may be wrong and a twat for saying it, but European players are more likely to believe him and Becks about the league then whatever Garber wants to put out there. Had the league been able to negotaiate a good deal the MLS would have looked better. Milan does not have an image problem in regard to attracting tallent MLS does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Regardless of what Setanta reported, LA said there was no offer from Milan, after the initial insulting $5 million bid for him.

If anything, Milan overplayed their hand. They were playing great with Becks, and then decided to scoff when MLS dared to assert itself.

Milan tried to take advantage of MLS, and came away empty handed for it. If anything, I think MLS comes out looking better - I'm glad they decided to stand on principles to some extent, rather than just quietly accepting whatever crumbs AC Milan decided to be nice enough to throw them.

Whatever money they lost from Milan, will be easily made up by the marketability Beckham will continue to bring to MLS for another year, at least.

- Scott
    And who's to say LA isn't posturing by denying a second bid? As far as trying to take advantage of MLS: how much is the Galaxy paying Becks per season? So let's say that LA's been telling the truth all along, they would have broken even on the deal.

When all is said and done, I doubt we're getting the whole story between the two sides anyway.

The real question now is how does Becks react? He'll be professional about it of course, but you know his heart isn't in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is the point clearly Becks wants to leave, he will be a professional but he will be demoralized.

And for the record, I am a Milanista, it is my home town team so my first love, however, I am no great supporter of the current regime, particularly that Berlusconi, he is a fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    ^^ I think I may have missed it, but although we all know that there is an opt out at the end of this year for Beckham, do we know any of the details (i.e. are we sure it will be a free walk?)
    Don't know the details either. Compensation for the team who signs him or a free. Just not sure which.

As for calling Garber a twat: I just think he is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ That is the point clearly Becks wants to leave, he will be a professional but he will be demoralized.
    Beckham being demoralized won't diminish shirt sales, or his marketability in the United States. That is what both LA and MLS care about.

Having Beckham here makes them far more money than what Milan was apparently willing to offer. LA themselves said they would accept $20 million for him - clearly that offer never came.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But from all reports negotiations were continuing. This is not going to be good PR for the league, Maldini already came out and made comments about Becks wanting to play real football, Maldini may be wrong and a twat for saying it, but European players are more likely to believe him and Becks about the league then whatever Garber wants to put out there. Had the league been able to negotaiate a good deal the MLS would have looked better. Milan does not have an image problem in regard to attracting tallent MLS does.
    In regards to an image problem, the MLS has sent out the message that they are willing to play hardball on these matters. Quite frankly, they're not a good enough league to do that. As you say, for a league that already has trouble attracting talent, they've made it worse on themselves in the long run.

Again: Mickey League Soccer = lack of vision. Garber = twat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought 20 Million US would be fare, and I thought it was offered, reading English and Italian sources. However, who knows as I said the Milan management is not beyoind playing hardball themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to an image problem, the MLS has sent out the message that they are willing to play hardball on these matters. Quite frankly, they're not a good enough league to do that. As you say, for a league that already has trouble attracting talent, they've made it worse on themselves in the long run.

Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beckham being demoralized won't diminish shirt sales, or his marketability in the United States. That is what both LA and MLS care about.

Having Beckham here makes them far more money than what Milan was apparently willing to offer. LA themselves said they would accept $20 million for him - clearly that offer never came.

- Scott
    And you're absolutely right about that. I can't accuse the MLS of putting the quality of football first

Hold on, Swansea just equalized...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No no no. I patently reject this concept that, because we are a small league, we shouldn't dare try to assert ourselves - that we should just lie down and let bigger teams and leagues walk all over us in matters like these.

Beckham had a contract, Los Angeles had an asking price. Milan essentially scoffed at both, and deservedly came out empty handed.

The whole Beckham leaving issue had become a big, embarrassing media circus, and Garber wanted it to end. I salute him completely.

I can't believe you guys see it this way. Milan tried to bully, and take advantage of MLS, and you're mad that MLS decided not to be pushed around?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought 20 Million US would be fare, and I thought it was offered, reading English and Italian sources. However, who knows as I said the Milan management is not beyoind playing hardball themselves.
    I read this in some of the European tabloids too, but L.A. were pretty frank in saying that their $20 million asking price was not met by Milan. Milan clearly balked at Garber's deadline.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is my point, why impose a deadline just make a deal. If this whent on for much longer just kill it, but dealines, I was expecting this would be the result. I do not think this is the best for the league.

By the way I do not think Milan tried to bully the MLS, Garber tried to bully Milan, or at least that how it looks after the deadline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is my point, why impose a deadline just make a deal. If this whent on for much longer just kill it, but dealines, I was expecting this would be the result. I do not think this is the best for the league.

By the way I do not think Milan tried to bully the MLS, Garber tried to bully Milan, or at least that how it looks after the deadline.
    Seriously? Beckham goes over on a loan, and within a month, Milan's management are publicly saying to the press that they want to keep him, which essentially started the media circus going.

Then they make an even bigger "fuck you" move to Los Angeles, by placing Beckham on their UEFA Cup roster. Keeping in mind - this is a team/league that did both Beckham and Milan an immense favour, by even consenting to this weird loan deal in the first place.

This had been going on for more than a month, when Garber finally said he'd had enough. I don't see MLS in the wrong here at all.

Garber basically said - "Hey Milan, if you want him, then pay the (completely reasonable) asking price. Stop jerking us around with shitty little offers, and trying to work the media to lessen our bargaining position." Milan didn't, end of discussions.

LA gets their best player back, a little unhappy, but still making them wheelbarrows of money in ticket sales, and jersey sales, and still serving up crosses to Buddle, and (maybe) Landycakes.

Again, it wasn't like this deadline came after a day of negotiating. This bullshit had been going on for over a month, and every day, it made MLS look more and more ridiculous. Can you really blame Garber for wanting the media circus to end?

Furthermore, L.A. are a month away from their opening match. They can't afford to let this nonsense drag on any longer - they have STH's to answer to, and roster planning to do. Do you think their season ticket holders would be happy if this shit dragged on a mere week or two before the season started?

As much as I hate the Galaxy, I actually kind of feel bad for them in all of this. Their entire off-season has been consumed with Donovan/Beckham transfer talk, when both loans were essentially "favours" to the players.

- Scott

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Scott/Shakes here.

Milan was running over the LAG and MLS. Garber was totally justified in saying "enough!"
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously? Beckham goes over on a loan, and within a month, Milan's management are publicly saying to the press that they want to keep him, which essentially started the media circus going.

Then they make an even bigger "fuck you" move to Los Angeles, by placing Beckham on their UEFA Cup roster. Keeping in mind - this is a team/league that did both Beckham and Milan an immense favour, by even consenting to this weird loan deal in the first place.

This had been going on for more than a month, when Garber finally said he'd had enough. I don't see MLS in the wrong here at all.

Garber basically said - "Hey Milan, if you want him, then pay the (completely reasonable) asking price. Stop jerking us around with shitty little offers, and trying to work the media to lessen our bargaining position." Milan didn't, end of discussions.

LA gets their best player back, a little unhappy, but still making them wheelbarrows of money in ticket sales, and jersey sales, and still serving up crosses to Buddle, and (maybe) Landycakes.

Again, it wasn't like this deadline came after a day of negotiating. This bullshit had been going on for over a month, and every day, it made MLS look more and more ridiculous. Can you really blame Garber for wanting the media circus to end?

Furthermore, L.A. are a month away from their opening match. They can't afford to let this nonsense drag on any longer - they have STH's to answer to, and roster planning to do. Do you think their season ticket holders would be happy if this shit dragged on a mere week or two before the season started?

As much as I hate the Galaxy, I actually kind of feel bad for them in all of this. Their entire off-season has been consumed with Donovan/Beckham transfer talk, when both loans were essentially "favours" to the players.

- Scott
    Exactly!

The fact is, Milan should never have gone to the media at all (neither should Beckham). If anything it makes THEM look amateur. If you want a deal, fine, try to make a deal with the league that did you a favour with a loan, but don't drag it out into the media spotlight to try to shame MLS into doing what you want. That was low, AC Milan was trying to throw their weight around because they didn't think MLS deserved any respect. Kudos to Garber though, he put a firm date on it so we could know what was happening with a month to go before the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think these loans are bullshit and MLS should be careful doing them in the future.
    they create too many problems. Just lengthen the season a bit so these whiners can't complain they are on holidays too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sky Sport Italia report that a deal for Beckham has already been reached and that it will be officially announced before the showdown match with Inter on Sunday night.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1708/ac-...d-beckham-deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Agree with Scott/Shakes here.

Milan was running over the LAG and MLS. Garber was totally justified in saying "enough!"
    I agree, too. And Beckham made the biggest negotiating mistake possible, he said he wanted to play in Milan - that upped the price right there.

People have been throwing around numbers from anywhere between $5 million and $20 million, but we really don't know what was actually offered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the article: "They do things with great generosity in America," Galliani told Sky Sport Italia.

I think he may be confusing the way Americans play soccer with the way they run businesses. Has anyone ever called an American businessman "generous?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe you guys see it this way. Milan tried to bully, and take advantage of MLS, and you're mad that MLS decided not to be pushed around?

- Scott
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    From the article: "They do things with great generosity in America," Galliani told Sky Sport Italia.
    So patronizing. I hope MLS keeps the door shut on this deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forza_tfc View Post
    Yes, I am a huge AC Milan fan (been a fan for as long as I remember living), which means I am conflicted about this situation.

He certainly helped with Milan's success the past few weeks, but I am unhappy about his negative comments about the MLS. It's not rocket science, MLS is no Premiership or Serie A. And who wouldn't love playing with some of the top footballers in the world? Obviously it will elevate his game, but he does come across as a backstabber especially when considering some of the words he used to describe his move to LA -- "... soccer is huge all around the world apart from America, so that's where I want to make a difference with the kids." Going back on those words makes him shallow.

As an MLS fan, I say fuck him. As a Milan fan, I say keep up those crosses to Pato (especially on Sunday's derby).
    Just say Becks stays healthy. What would happen to him if Gattuso gets healthy? assuming he stays with AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No no no. I patently reject this concept that, because we are a small league, we shouldn't dare try to assert ourselves - that we should just lie down and let bigger teams and leagues walk all over us in matters like these.

Beckham had a contract, Los Angeles had an asking price. Milan essentially scoffed at both, and deservedly came out empty handed.

The whole Beckham leaving issue had become a big, embarrassing media circus, and Garber wanted it to end. I salute him completely.

- Scott
    I completely agree with you. I like how Garber stood up to Milan and didn't give into there bullying tactics. This is what other teams in other leauges should look at. The player is signed to a contract....they should honour that contract. The players have too much power to get everything they want.

I know Beckham won't pull that fake injury and sulking shit. He is too professional for that. He will come back play his ass off here to still impress Capello, and after he is done the season here, he'll probably move to Europe.

This is good for the leauge, it's image abroad, and LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I completely agree with you. I like how Garber stood up to Milan and didn't give into there bullying tactics. This is what other teams in other leauges should look at. The player is signed to a contract....they should honour that contract. The players have too much power to get everything they want.

I know Beckham won't pull that fake injury and sulking shit. He is too professional for that. He will come back play his ass off here to still impress Capello, and after he is done the season here, he'll probably move to Europe.

Its a players sport and it has been for a while. Garber is solving nothing holding becks hostage for a year.

There have been players on high level teams that leave in the middle of their contract all the time.

Only if the buyout proposal was really lowballed I understand this course of action but I think the MLS should take the money and run. Besides, MLS is a sellers league anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post

Its a players sport and it has been for a while. Garber is solving nothing holding becks hostage for a year.

There have been players on high level teams that leave in the middle of their contract all the time.

Only if the buyout proposal was really lowballed I understand this course of action but I think the MLS should take the money and run. Besides, MLS is a sellers league anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

I think he may be confusing the way Americans play soccer with the way they run businesses. Has anyone ever called an American businessman "generous?"
    To me, it's also nice to see both AC and the media get a shot in the goonies for daring to presume that they're both such bigshots that it amounts to "cannot be denied." I highly, highly doubt the Galaxy would've put out that statement if deal is still possibly going through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post

That's the point DVS, it was really lowballed. Even in just nine months, Beckham will make more money from image, merchandise sales and additional bums in the seats than $6 million. Any business would've done the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post
    Usually our complaint with Garber is that he's only about the money. You can debate how much MLS owners care about soccer, but they know money. There's no reason to think they turned down a good offer and every reason to think they turned down a patronizing offer.

You won't even be a sellers league if you accept offers way below value.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives is reporting that Milan says the deal is still "very much alive"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Beckham and AC Milan remain confident of completing a deal to keep the England international in Italy on a permanent basis, despite Los Angeles Galaxy insisting negotiations were at an end.

Milan are believed to have offered £7 million to turn Beckham's loan deal, which expires on March 9, into a long-term move, but Galaxy and Major League Soccer are holding out for £12 million.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...laxy-deal.html