Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tfc Academy Wins Again

A second half goal by TFC Academy striker Junior Ellis was enough to give his side a 1-0 victory over North York Astros and Italia Shooters defeated Trois-Rivieres Attak by the same score, the only two games played in the Canadian Soccer League late Sunday afternoon. There were three games on Friday night with Serbian White Eagles, Toronto Croatia and St. Catharines Wolves all scoring early season victories.

Ellis picked up the ball just outside the penalty box to side-step a North York defender before beating Astros’ goalkeeper Arthur Zaslavski at the 53rd minute mark at Esther Shiner Stadium, and Zaslavski was one of two North York Astros players ejected later in the game.

Forward Martin Artale was the first to go following a kicking incident at 77 minutes and Zaslavski was ordered off at 86 minutes when he brought down a TFC Academy player outside the 18 yard line.

With the Astros reduced to 9 men, there was little opportunity for the home side to draw level and the game ended 1-0.
    http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/n...?news_id=91641

I glad to see the Academy team off to such a strong start. I thought they’d be over matched in the CSL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was have been to the TFC-A's first two home games and have been impressed even though they lost on Friday night, they do have to make improvements and learn somethings but overall it has been a good start for the "Little Reds".

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at this game today and posted the following recap on U-Sector and Voyageurs (and now here):

I'm going to do my best Rocket Robin immitation here and try to give a recap of the TFC Academy vs. North York Astros match this afternoon at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York.

51 min...TFC-A Goal scored by Junior Ellis. Ellis beat the offside trap that had been effective to that point in the match. He collected a nice pass from midfield, made a deft move to his left to get around the charging Astros GK and then went in all alone on an empty goal and buried it. Quite clinical.

Around the 75th minute, Astros #9 gets a straight red card for a rash two footed tackle on a TFC-A midfielder. The TFC-A player appeared to be hurt and left the game. No argument on this call in my mind. That's a Red card in any league, anywhere.

Around the 85th minute, the starting GK for the Astros was also given a straight red card for "taking down" a charging TFC-A forward, putting the Astros down to 9 men for the remainder of the game. The Astros keeper came out of his 18 yard box to clear away a long forward pass but the hard charging TFC-A attacker beat him to the ball by a split second. The GK put his arm out to impede the attacker's angle to the net, causing the TFC-A forward to go down. The ref took quite awhile to make a decision on what card to show but eventually the Red card was shown. That call struck me as being a bit harsh.

TFC-A could have / should have made the score 2-0 immediately after the Astros got their 2nd red card. The substitute GK (#1) came in cold and got action immedtiately. He made a wonderful series of saves on point blank shot in his 6 yard box before it was finally cleared away.

Astros had some good opportunities in the 1st half and had an absolutely glorious chance to tie the game in the dying minutes of the game but the Astros #21 did not make good enough contact on a ball that was bouncing around the PK spot and it was either saved by the GK or by a defender...hard to tell.

Final Score:……Toronto FC Academy……..1……………North York Astros..........0

Attendance was about 200 people on this beautiful spring day. There were a fair number of TFC scarves in the stands, which was cool to see. No typical TFC chants were heard while I was there but there were some guys in the back rows trying some bootleg versions of the TFC, clap, clap, clap chant.

I apologize that I did not get a program when I got the stadium (about 15 minutes after kickoff) so I don't have many names to share with you but I will share my observations:

a) TFC Academy is going to cause alot of the existing CSL teams fits due to their fitness, athleticism and quality. This is a well organized team. Its clear that they have played together for a long time. I really don't believe the TFC Academy coaches have really imposed their own philosophies on these players yet. It's too early for that and they are already know how to play together. These boys are playing the kind of football that is the hallmark of the OSA all star teams (very much route 1 style in attack, strong and disciplined in defense, midfield applies strong pressure on opposition ball carrier) and it is proving to be effective enough thus far.

I would personally prefer to see these young men being pushed to play a more positive, ball control style of play. My hope is that this will emerge as the season progresses.

One thing is for sure...if TFC-A continues to play in CSL, teams will need a more involved off season training regime to ensure that they are ready to play with these young men when the 2009 kicks off. The Astros were not as fit as the TFC players.

b) I've got some concerns about the refereeing on display today. Like all CSL matches I've seen, the game was a bit chippy so it is imperative that the refs keep control. To their credit, the game never got out of control despite the occasional physical play but the Astros players and coaches were clearly frustrated as the game wore on.

I would not want to accuse the refs for being biased toward TFC-A because I don't think that is the case. However, I just had this feeling that the Astros were being held to a somewhat different discipline standard when it came to physical play.

Were the refs being influenced by the pro-TFC crowd (there appeared to be quite a few parents of TFC-A players in the crowd)? I guess that's possible. The crowd got quite loud whenever it felt the TFC-A players were fouled and louder still when they felt the ref made the wrong call against a TFC-A player.

Do the refs feel that the men's teams in CSL ought to be "taking it easy" against the youngsters? I should hope not. These boys are playing in a senior league and need to be able to handle the physical play that they will be exposed to without preferential treatment. We are not doing these young men any favours if they are protected. When you play vs. men, you need to be able to take the knocks that go with it. If they are good enough to go overseas or move up to the senior team, no one will hold back on them because of their age.

Time will tell on this refereeing issue. I will be attending alot more CSL games this year (I bought season tix packages to a couple of teams) so its going to be something that I pay attention to.

Next TFC Academy home game will be Friday May 30th at 8:00pm against Italia Shooters. TFC-A will also play on Sunday away to Brampton Lions at victoria park in Brampton. I will likely be catching that match live.

The Next North York Astros game takes place on Sunday June 1 at 3:00pm at Esther Shiner Stadium vs. Windsor Border Stars.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good report on TFC-A, anyone going to the TFC Academy game at Brampton next Sunday, looking for a ride, can be at any TTC station, PM me if you can, thanks in advance.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A goalkeeper preventing a goal by fouling the striker with his hands is usually always a red card and a penalty if its in the box. This is fair, because goalies are usually given the benefit of the doubt in goal scrambles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the style of play suggestion. The team really shouldn't have winning as their priority, winning is nice, but should be secondary. Developing the players and a system should be the focal point of these games to prepare the players for first team action ultimately.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    A goalkeeper preventing a goal by fouling the striker with his hands is usually always a red card and a penalty if its in the box. This is fair, because goalies are usually given the benefit of the doubt in goal scrambles.
    I agree but I guess my "harsh call" comment stems from my belief that the TFC-A player sold the foul well. From my perspective (the foul happened about 45 yards from where I sat), the contact seemed minor. Nonetheless, the call was the call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    I agree with the style of play suggestion. The team really shouldn't have winning as their priority, winning is nice, but should be secondary.
    This is the same system that my 4 year old son's Tim Horton league plays by.

I yanked him out of that fast as possible, he's now joined the local 'team of excellence'

hopefully they'll explain the importance of winning to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a reason I went on further explaining, there is a difference between 4 year-olds and 18 year-olds in their mental states and development levels.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, but the instinctive desire to win should never be disregarded or viewed as 'unimportant' to the greater good.

The CSL teams damn well want to win, why should our lads be aloof from that?
    Because they're too good to win, and should be pursuing a higher cause?

Winning games, proves our lads are developing as a team and not simply practising on behalf of one or two squad members who might progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean for it to be disregarded completely, but if it comes down to celebrating a CSL title or developing first team players....

The match report wasn't too fond of the play style, what is the use or holding the ball in the midfield and playing for a draw or too hold the lead?
    Animals Eaten:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the recap VPjr. Are they still wearing those horrible training jerseys instead of regualr TFC kits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Thanks for the recap VPjr. Are they still wearing those horrible training jerseys instead of regualr TFC kits?
    yes, same lousy kits. not a fan.

Funny thing happened late in the 2nd half. TFC-A midfielder #40 (his name is Daniel I think because one soccer mom kept calling him that) went in for a strong tackle on an Astros attacker and when he popped back up, his shorts were literally torn to shreds. Good thing he wore sliding shorts underneath the red shorts or else it wouldn't have been a G-rated game anymore. He played it cool but it was funny. Damn fieldturf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, but the instinctive desire to win should never be disregarded or viewed as 'unimportant' to the greater good.

Winning games, proves our lads are developing as a team and not simply practising on behalf of one or two squad members who might progress.
    I could not disagree with you more when it comes to your son's soccer and could not agree with you more when it comes to CSL.

CSL is a professional soccer league. The players are there to win a league title. Development occurs at the lower levels (including the reserve team) but the senior team MUST play to win. The TFC Academy is in a unique position because they are essentially an amateur youth team playing professional soccer. It's important that they win but for many of these players, the CSL is just the 1st step in their career, not the last step so they need to start learning to play a style that will further their individual careers, whether its in MLS or abroad. This route 1 style that the players are well schooled in doesn't impress coaches anywhere except the North American youth level (and maybe at the lowest levels in England) so eventually, the coaching staff will want to start working a more progressive style. Having said that, many of these TFC-A players are quite highly skilled and displayed some good fundamentals so I'm confident that the transition can be seamless

As for your kid, I would encourage you not to place ANY emphasis on winning U4 or U5 soccer games. What's the point? It's easy to win games at that age group if you've got 1 physically advanced child who can kick harder and run faster. In real terms, children at those ages shouldn't even bother with organized soccer. Trust me, I coach U4 and what happens on that field bears no resemblance to soccer so who cares if the kids win. We dont bother ckeeping score
    Last edited by VPjr; 05-26-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Not to be old fashioned or anything, but this 'the most important thing is taking part' mentality is a cancer on youth soccer IMO, and its no more than a by-product of the mentality that soccer is a tertiary sport here in canada.

I pay money for my kid to be in a soccer program and I find it disheartening to see the coach playing 'school dinner lady' while her team is picking dandelions.

My kid can pick dandelions for free in his own back garden, what am i paying for?

Seriously, Im not about making the kids feel worthless if they lose, but what is the point of enrolling your kid in soccer, if soccer is the least important thing that occurs at soccer training?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Georgia soccer puts out a video basically on why soccer development in America is crap, and why it succeeds in places like Brazil. It gives you a good insight into why telling a six year old to "go out and win" is rediculous.

When you put competitive pressure on kids who are 6, a number of things happen:
    1) The style of play builds around what's going to "win" as opposed to what develops good players. ie, you can hoof the ball down the field to take advantage of poor ball control at lower ages.
    2) you yell at the kids to pass and "play as a team", but the fact is at that age kids simply don't have the awareness to play organized. The kids become impatient when they are on the ball and it stays with them for years, because they become scared of retribution of impatient parents and yelling coaches.

Now back to TFC A. Nobody is saying we should go out and tell the kids that "winning doesn't matter", but...

We are supposed to be developing kids for the pro level.

In the CSL, fitness, speed, conditioning, organization, will all be weapons TFC will always have over other teams. At the pro-level those will be gone. Every player will be well conditioned, every players will be fast, every team will be well organized.

So while playing long ball over the top might help us "win", right now, it's not going to produce players who can play in a style that will be successful at the pro level. Which is why it needs to be dropped. Places like Ajax, and other famous youth academies operate on the same principle.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-26-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next TFC Academy home game (June 6) vs Portugal FC will also be shown on Rogers television live at 8pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Georgia soccer puts out a video basically on why soccer development in America is crap, and why it succeeds in places like Brazil. It gives you a good insight into why telling a six year old to "go out and win" is rediculous.

When you put competitive pressure on kids who are 6, a number of things happen:
    1) The style of play builds around what's going to "win" as opposed to what develops good players. ie, you can hoof the ball down the field to take advantage of poor ball control at lower ages.
    2) you yell at the kids to pass and "play as a team", but the fact is at that age kids simply don't have the awareness to play organized. The kids become impatient when they are on the ball and it stays with them for years, because they become scared of retribution of impatient parents and yelling coaches.

Now back to TFC A. Nobody is saying we should go out and tell the kids that "winning doesn't matter", but...

We are supposed to be developing kids for the pro level.

In the CSL, fitness, speed, conditioning, organization, will all be weapons TFC will always have over other teams. At the pro-level those will be gone. Every player will be well conditioned, every players will be fast, every team will be well organized.

So while playing long ball over the top might help us "win", right now, it's not going to produce players who can play in a style that will be successful at the pro level. Which is why it needs to be dropped. Places like Ajax, and other famous youth academies operate on the same principle.
    Look,

Here in Canada the football fields are full of youngsters playing soccer all summer, I dont remember seeing as many young people all kitted out and organised into teams back home.

So why is there a drought when it comes to top level Canadian players?

Nobody is saying that we should be yelling and screaming at the kids, but on the flip side, an effort should be made early on to help the kids understand what they are doing. Kids can be taught to read, speak a second language and play complex computer games at three. Why then is it against the law to teach kids of the same age the basics of soccer?

It seems pointless to shell out $200 plus kit costs, so that somebody can toss a ball at ten kids and tell them to 'run around and have fun' - He can do that in daycare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look,

Here in Canada the football fields are full of youngsters playing soccer all summer, I dont remember seeing as many young people all kitted out and organised into teams back home.

Nobody is saying that we should be yelling and screaming at the kids, but on the flip side, an effort should be made early on to help the kids understand what they are doing. Kids can be taught to read, speak a second language and play complex computer games at three. Why then is it against the law to teach kids of the same age the basics of soccer?

It seems pointless to shell out $200 plus kit costs, so that somebody can toss a ball at ten kids and tell them to 'run around and have fun' - He can do that in daycare.
    I understand where your coming from, but I think that more speaks to professionalism as opposed to "desire to win".

I have been a coach for a few competitive teams in the past and it really doesn't take long to realise why we don't develop talent. Parents complains about too much practice, know it all parents, and coaches teaching things that are 30 years outdated, too many competitive teams etc...

Our problem is that we drag along too many half commited people with the truely competitive ones. Amongst many other things.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-26-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning should go hand in hand with improving and developing. If you go into a match with the "here comes another drubbing attitude" you will not play to your potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    Winning should go hand in hand with improving and developing. If you go into a match with the "here comes another drubbing attitude" you will not play to your potential.
    I don't know where you guys are getting this from.

Nobody is saying you go tell your players "kick the ball and have fun today". You tell them to win and bust ass.

BUT when it comes to something like making a short term decision that wins game or making a long term decision that develops players, you go with #2, every time.

That means technical play first, possession first, doing things that would make you into great player at the pro-level first. Not doing shit like using tactics that won't work on the pro level against amateur teams!
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-26-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look,

Our problem in Canadian soccer is coaching, pure and simple. Not enough coaches actually know how to coach the sport and teach the skills needed to play this game. I take a lot of pride in teaching the kids I coach how to play the game...I just don't care if they post wins when the get on the field. If they win, great. If they don't, no problem. I focus in on what the kids are doing and to see where they need to improve.

I do agree with you that we spend way to much on the frills (i.e. cheap trophies, silly medals, expensive kits). Just give the kids a t-shirt a ball and some mowed grass to play on. Give the coaches a bunch of mini pop up nets so we can create lots of small sided games rather than 1 bigger game where half the team is standing around for 5-10 minutes at a time. I'd rather my players run for 20 minutes in a small sided game rather than go on for 5 minutes and come off for 5 minutes and the game take 1 hour and they are losing interest by half time. We need to organize soccer the way kids would organize it for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Our problem is that we drag along too many half commited people with the truely competitive ones. Amongst many other things.
    BINGO.....DING DING DING...WE HAVE A WINNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal frustration comes from watching my son begin his development with an organised group, only to realise that the coach was nothing more than a childminder, who was more concerned with which parent was bringing snacks that day, than actually showing the kids how to kick a ball with the side of the foot , dribble around pylons or anything like that.

It told me that anybody with a pulse could coach the kids at this level, and that's wrong. They need to come away from activities like this with a little discipline, understanding of the sport and a desire to do well. Instead the kids were leaving the field every week no better off than when they first started. What a waste of money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal frustration comes from watching my son begin his development with an organised group, only to realise that the coach was nothing more than a childminder, who was more concerned with which parent was bringing snacks that day, than actually showing the kids how to kick a ball with the side of the foot , dribble around pylons or anything like that.

It told me that anybody with a pulse could coach the kids at this level, and that's wrong. They need to come away from activities like this with a little discipline, understanding of the sport and a desire to do well. Instead the kids were leaving the field every week no better off than when they first started. What a waste of money.
    "kick a ball with the side of the foot , dribble around pylons or anything like that "

This is for 7-years old kids.Physically is impossible for kids 4-5 years old to kick with inside foot,they don't have coordination develop at that age to rotate the leg in their hip in order kick the ball with inside foot,pylons are simply BORING for that age.
    You have to understand 4-5 years old kids are not miniature adults they are kids.You push them the way you writing they will burnout by the age of 8 lose interest in soccer.Slow down with discipline and pylons,inside foot things.
    Here is very good link from UK.Check coaching 4-6 years old kids,in UK .
    http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/

As for some parent/coach I agree with you,they should stay away unless they have soccer knowledge.
    Our club policy is simple.No Fathers coaching,certified payed coaching stuff,even in house league coaches are being payed,no money is wasted on expensive uniforms etc.

Last weekend at COVI Tournament in Vaughn our 3 REP teams vent to Finals.U8 lost;U9 and U10 won.That just showed all parents that coaching stuff is doing their job and they know what they are doing.
    Like VPjr wrote,coaching is the problem in Canada,kids are talented but many of them taking soccer as second choice and as replacement for hockey.
    Last edited by denime; 05-26-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !