Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Noone said that. I was just wondering why the only time I see posts is when he complains about a Canadian getting cut or otherwise.
    I've posted many a positive post...and I didn't complain when Lombardo was let go...and I'll cheer to high-heaven when Harmse (+$75k) gets let go!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    That's what I said over a page ago! Geez...does everyone have me on their ignore list or what?!
    What's that sound? Do you guys hear something?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I like Harmse! He really opened my eyes at the end of last season. I always thought he was just a hatchetman - but he played real well at the tail end of the season.

And Rosenlund is good enough for the mls; in a squad role; and so is Hemming for that matter.

And I always enjoyed Lombardo's work ethic.

And cunningham was just misunderstood and unappreciated.

And Ruiz was a real team player.

And Welsh...sorry, got carried away there for a moment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say i like Rosenlund, great placement on his part, great passing, shit finishing, id prefer that he'd stay but, for the team, not the national one (im biased), it has to be done. I do hope that hes here in the next season tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing whether the team is using any of that allocation money to match salaries for lower-end players, so that they're not actually taking home $9 per hour.

TFC has about a million plus of the stuff, and my understanding is you can use it to match wage contributions.
    Hmmm, Paul is strangely silent on this point. Anyone else got an answer for it?

Seems to me the team could easily offer more guaranteed compensation than the salary structure for Devs allows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sad if Rosenlund leaves, it would have been nice to see him turn into a regular player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, Paul is strangely silent on this point. Anyone else got an answer for it?

Seems to me the team could easily offer more guaranteed compensation than the salary structure for Devs allows.

Allocation can in certain circumstances be used to buy down salary, but not to add to it. If you sign a guy to $100k you can use up to 50k to buy it down. Allocation does not apply to development players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    A couple of you clowns first thought I was a relative of Hemming. Now you think I'm a relative of Rosenlund?...how about I'm just a soccer-guy with an opinion (like the rest of you) who just wants to see TFC succeed in the long-term!...let's go reds!!!
    I was with you about Hemming... not so much about Rosenlund... I mean he might be a great guy and all but I haven't seen much on the pitch for me to judge.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    Hey, I like Harmse! He really opened my eyes at the end of last season. I always thought he was just a hatchetman - but he played real well at the tail end of the season.

And Rosenlund is good enough for the mls; in a squad role; and so is Hemming for that matter.

And I always enjoyed Lombardo's work ethic.

And cunningham was just misunderstood and unappreciated.

And Ruiz was a real team player.

And Welsh...sorry, got carried away there for a moment

What do you mean Felipe? Where you not on our Chicago Road Trip last year?!?!

We all dream of a Team of Andy Welsh....
    A Team of Andy Welsh... A team of Andy Welsh!!!!

We chanted this for about an hour
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I just hope the next CBA sees a minimum salary established which a person can live on (i.e. around $40,000), combined with a bump to the overall cap, of course.

And none of this Senior/Dev stuff. Simply a minimum salary and if the player chooses to sign for it they do and that's what they make.

a 40,000 mimimum is surely within MLS budget...give the guys a chance
    to make a living.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in knowing whether the team is using any of that allocation money to match salaries for lower-end players, so that they're not actually taking home $9 per hour.

TFC has about a million plus of the stuff, and my understanding is you can use it to match wage contributions.

(replying without reading the rest of the thread so forgive me if this has been pointed out already)

You can use allocation to sign players that aren't currently in MLS, or to re-sign players currently in the league. You can't use it to "bump up" current contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    (replying without reading the rest of the thread so forgive me if this has been pointed out already)

You can use allocation to sign players that aren't currently in MLS, or to re-sign players currently in the league. You can't use it to "bump up" current contracts.
    It's nice to have had this point made clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loyalty and sports aren't necessarily congruent ideas except when it comes to the fans. Teams can't build their business model around loyalty, they need to do it based on sound business decisions. You can feel for this guy, but you can't blame Mo. The trickle down of the De Ro signing was bound to be felt sooner or later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need MLSE to be creative, like the Brazilian basketball and English rugby leagues were when they wanted to maintain their amateur status but still pay players. Brazil's best player, Oscar, was technically a "butcher" for years, but I don't think he sliced too many chops.

What's to stop MLSE from employing Rosenlund in the office seasona as a "security consultant" for $10,000 or $15,000? As long as it's not during the season, would it technically break any rules? Or following the old CFL tradition and having a "friend of the club" -- i.e. well-heeled sponsor -- offer the same type of non-job "job".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why couldn't a major sponsor like BMO be asked to provide "appearance income" for a few specific players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the players do get appearance fees for events .. i like it's $250 an appearance.

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I was with you about Hemming... not so much about Rosenlund... I mean he might be a great guy and all but I haven't seen much on the pitch for me to judge.
    I agree that, from what I saw in their respective TFC/MLS games, Hemming looked to have more upside than Rosenlund. Yah, and I know that as TFC get's better it will have to let bubble-players go, BUT if this is to be a league/or team to be taken seriously (as we rabid-TFC fans do, and TFC profitability allows) then we should ALL BE OUTRAGED that they expect (and seem all to happy about) to keep good solid players and people around (in TO of all places) for less than $18K/year. This is an absolute JOKE!....this (correcting this sweatshop-league/team status) should PRIORITY #1!!! for TFC Management (if they f-in-cared)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that, from what I saw in their respective TFC/MLS games, Hemming looked to have more upside than Rosenlund. Yah, and I know that as TFC get's better it will have to let bubble-players go, BUT if this is to be a league/or team to be taken seriously (as we rabid-TFC fans do, and TFC profitability allows) then we should ALL BE OUTRAGED that they expect (and seem all to happy about) to keep good solid players and people around (in TO of all places) for less than $18K/year. This is an absolute JOKE!....this (correcting this sweatshop-league/team status) should PRIORITY #1!!! for TFC Management (if they f-in-cared)
    TFC didn't make the rules, my friend. Talk to MLS. Rosenlund doesn't even have a contract with TFC. He signed with MLS. As long as MLS continues to pay low end players that wage, somebody is gonna be stuck with it.

or, how about instead of expecting TFC or MLS to be a charity organization, the players union fights for better wages in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations, which are coming up???

The union really should take a stand rather than just sitting there passively and expecting MLS to do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what's up with Hemming. Wiki says he was released at Tampere and is without a club. I'm surprised he hasn't caught on with Vancouver or Montreal.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    TFC didn't make the rules, my friend. Talk to MLS. Rosenlund doesn't even have a contract with TFC. He signed with MLS. As long as MLS continues to pay low end players that wage, somebody is gonna be stuck with it.

or, how about instead of expecting TFC or MLS to be a charity organization, the players union fights for better wages in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations, which are coming up???

The union really should take a stand rather than just sitting there passively and expecting MLS to do it.

good points Rocker....but a highly profitable TFC is also a big part of the equation....malnutritioned/bed-bug-bitten/hand-to-mouth players don't serve management's (or the best fans) goals either.
    Last edited by sidney; 02-09-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good points Rocker....but a highly profitable TFC is also a big part of the equation....malnutritioned/bed-bug-bitten players don't serve managements goals either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    ...I suppose GabrielHurl you want bush-league-shite-forever?...don't cry when the next Becham gives mls a bitch-slap.
    Last edited by sidney; 02-09-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your heart is in the right place but youre pointing fingers at the wrong people, theres not a damn thing that can be done until the CBA is reknewed even then its in the players hands and the owners of the teams, no just MLSE, im sure they are for raising the cap and minimum as it could only help the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sidney it's a moot point no matter how valid. The CBA is 5 years old and about to expire at the end of the season(Jan 31 2010). If you've been paying any attention at all to league news the salary cap will grow substantially in part to accomodate the new player deal. For the record I hope the new cap allows for a healthy increase for the developement of players(like a reserve league for fuck sake).

MUFC_Niagara

I think in order to make Roselund a better player and not screw the Canadians, Mo should cut Robbo and start Tyler every game. TFC is a Canadian team and therefore they should be fielding Canadians. Also, the Raptors and Blue Jays should fire all of their players and field only Canadians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats a Becham?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roneslund plays for the Rochester Rhinos now. He had 1 decent shot last night, and got subbed off in the 66th minute. The Rhinos lost 1-0 to Crystal Palace Baltimore.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg...... Crystal Palace Baltimore

maybe it should be called Crystal Meth Place instead? Bodymore Murderland is not a nice place.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

baltimores great man...very pretty....just need to ignore the murder zones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need MLSE to be creative, like the Brazilian basketball and English rugby leagues were when they wanted to maintain their amateur status but still pay players. Brazil's best player, Oscar, was technically a "butcher" for years, but I don't think he sliced too many chops.

What's to stop MLSE from employing Rosenlund in the office seasona as a "security consultant" for $10,000 or $15,000? As long as it's not during the season, would it technically break any rules? Or following the old CFL tradition and having a "friend of the club" -- i.e. well-heeled sponsor -- offer the same type of non-job "job".
    I'd heard that other clubs in MLS pay/provide housing for certain players. Does TFC do this? Is this allowed by MLS or is it one of the things that the league ignores? Perhaps it's something that can be done by clubs that are owned privately but MLSE has to represent things to the share holders so they aren't allowed to do the same??