Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    I would suggest Paul and his staff expeditiously liaise with supporters and create a pretty wild e-Blast to the non-nerd fans and invite them down. 16,000+ invite with an exclusive incentive to experience a special would be an excellent opportunity.
    Their email about the pub crawls went out to the entire mailing list (16,000 seats plus the waiting lists, plus anyone who signed up) and they still only got about 200 at the downtown pubcrawl. The vast majority of people at the pub crawls were SG affiliates anyway.

I think people overestimate how many 'non-nerd' fans are willing to go out of their way for the team.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Their email about the pub crawls went out to the entire mailing list (16,000 seats plus the waiting lists, plus anyone who signed up) and they still only got about 200 at the downtown pubcrawl. The vast majority of people at the pub crawls were SG affiliates anyway.

I think people overestimate how many 'non-nerd' fans are willing to go out of their way for the team.
    pub crawls are dumb, this is the biggest signing of our short history
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Lets not start that....
    The wink meant he was kidding. Let's get back on track as this is quite productive. How else could we ensure a great crowd. How about someone write a quick e-mail for Jack to get out to the RPB masses. Anyone a copywriter??? We need a passionate plea!! Let them know this is the begging of a new era of Soccer in Canada. The great Canadian is coming home and you'll regret not being there!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    pub crawls are dumb, this is the biggest signing of our short history
    the pub crawls were a chance to meet and greet players in an informal setting. IF anything, your average TFC ticket holder would prefer the informality of a pub crawl to the formality of a media event.

The 16,000 SSH number keeps coming up, but in reality, I've never seen a TFC 'event' of any kind (games excluded) with more than 300 people.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good crew could pull it off! Two days of prep for an experienced team with skills... Possible for sure. It's a matter of how important it is to them to make a spectacle of the situation. For those who feel they need to take a day off, it has been suggested it's at 4:00PM. Generally it shouldn't take a whole day to make it to the ACC by 4:00PM... And it's cheaper than a road-trip.

I would love to see YouTube clips of a thousand TFC supporters singing DeRosario with all they have. You have been begging, now get singing!!
    I can't see thousands turning up for something like this. Hundreds would be possible if they did it right.

I think an event at Gate 1 ACC with the podium set up (similar to the unveiling of the shirt sponsor with Edu down at First Canadian Place) would work really well. They already have the audio set up there - and all they'd have to do is set up a screen (for highlight reel vid) and put up a velvet rope to keep the groupies from swarming the poor guy.

Limited Edition Signed DeRo jersey's could be available for a select few - etc.

Follow it up with an informal meet and greet up the street at one of the bars (maybe even the beloved Jack Astors) and bob's your uncle.

You're right, they could pull it off.

I'm thinking that what will probably happen will be a press only press conference, followed by him coming out to meet the fans and sign some autograph's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow will be a big day for Toronto FC, and you can be a part of it. We’re introducing Dwayne De Rosario to the media at Air Canada Centre in the afternoon.

Following the press conference, we’ve arranged a special meet and greet for Reds supporters and you can get De Ro to sign your jersey.

What: Meet Dwayne De Rosario!
    Where: CentreSports (Air Canada Centre, gate 1)
    When: Thursday, January 20 from 4:00-5:00 p.m.

If you’re not able to get to the ACC, you can follow the press conference live on our website. Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to Toronto from Houston Dynamo. Watch the broadcast on Toronto FC TV from 3:00 p.m. For the link to the live stream, click here.

Toronto FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though I see your point, I think this particular scenario would be of greater impact. Also if also sent to the Voyageurs, et al the numbers could go up. PLus, right now having 200 people would be not bad considering the situation (planning time). But with some incentives beyond milling about scraping for autographs, you may triple the crowd.... What could it be? What incentive would really draw a ton of fans to make this an impact-laden experience?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the pub crawls were a chance to meet and greet players in an informal setting. IF anything, your average TFC ticket holder would prefer the informality of a pub crawl to the formality of a media event.

The 16,000 SSH number keeps coming up, but in reality, I've never seen a TFC 'event' of any kind (games excluded) with more than 300 people.
    There were more people at the Jersey Launch and press conference than were at the pub crawls and most of them paid to be there (pub crawl was free)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    Tomorrow will be a big day for Toronto FC, and you can be a part of it. We’re introducing Dwayne De Rosario to the media at Air Canada Centre in the afternoon.

Following the press conference, we’ve arranged a special meet and greet for Reds supporters and you can get De Ro to sign your jersey.

If you’re not able to get to the ACC, you can follow the press conference live on our website. Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to Toronto from Houston Dynamo. Watch the broadcast on Toronto FC TV from 3:00 p.m. For the link to the live stream, click here.

Toronto FC
    I will assume you mean Thursday January 22nd....

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastYork View Post
    Knowing ML$E, they will bring Dero after the press conference to CentreSports and have him sign autographs while they push the new jersey with his new number on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post

Toronto FC
    LOL Pure Hilarity!

I'll take a pass on this one
    Last edited by canadian_bhoy; 01-20-2009 at 05:02 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What incentive would really draw a ton of fans to make this an impact-laden experience?
    people LOVE free stuff!

give them a free keychain and you'll get all types of people coming out.

hmmm... how to skip out on work.... ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok..autograph session it is?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    There were more people at the Jersey Launch and press conference than were at the pub crawls and most of them paid to be there (pub crawl was free)
    there were way more people at the downtown pub crawl, and I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the people at the Kit Party were comped.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Pure Hilarity!

I'll take a pass on this one

Hopefully there will be no jerseys with his name/number on it...then at least I will only have been partly wrong! LOL!

Damn you MLSE! *shakes fist*

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL
    I like the TFC TV plug as well. But I wonder, not that I disagree, just wonder... Would they get more people showing up if they didn't show it live on-line. It would be worth a discussion. I would like them to do it so I can watch live.... But??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing ML$E, they will bring Dero after the press conference to CentreSports and have him sign autographs while they push the new jersey with his new number on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I bet they don't. Will you eat your words if they don't?
    I want to see him eat his shoe! That'd be crazy!!!
    So now that Paul came out and confirmed what I thought was going to happen, will the doubters eat their words or maybe their shoes?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the word underwhelmed comes to mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there were way more people at the downtown pub crawl, and I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the people at the Kit Party were comped.
    Correct (on both points).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the TFC TV plug as well. But I wonder, not that I disagree, just wonder... Would they get more people showing up if they didn't show it live on-line. It would be worth a discussion. I would like them to do it so I can watch live.... But??
    I totally appreciate what they are doing with their TFC TV...but really, this is something they should make a network newscast event of some sort. Maybe not live...(or if possible, maybe live?) on CP24 etc. but at the very least...a little bit of inaccessibility on the internet probably would help the branding a little better.

But what do I know...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now that Paul came out and confirmed what I thought was going to happen, will the doubters eat their words or maybe their shoes?
    I've already beaten you to the punch... (read above) although to be fair...they are pushing signing our own jerseys...meaning, I don't necessarily have to buy one (no word on DeRo jerseys...LOL!) the understanding being that I probably already have one anyways. But I suppose the opportunity is to get those that haven't already bought one to do so at the event.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 01-20-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon Paul. Some originality would have been awesome. I think a quality brainstorm would have been warranted on this one. I'm not trying to be overly pedantic, but this screams of a five minute water-cooler discussion. I am beginning to wonder if the promotions staff have the bottle to do anything beyond the norm. Where the true "Experience"??

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have preferred more hoopla instead of hoopbla

TFC TV is a great way to get this presser out to all the people - not sure if not having online access would really drive someone to take time off work to head down. I think it's great that they are showing it.

Year 1
    Fans invited to unveiling of team logo and name
    Fans invited to press conference for signing of Robbo at the Beir Markt
    Fans invited to JB Press conference at Scallywags
    Fans invited to Mo press conference at Scallywags
    Fans invited to pub to meet and greet at The Bottom Line with new signings in attendance

Year 3
    Autograph signing in team store
    Last edited by canadian_bhoy; 01-20-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already beaten you to the punch... (read above) although to be fair...they are pushing signing our own jerseys...meaning, I don't necessarily have to buy one (the understanding being that I probably already have one anyways). But I suppose the opportunity is to get those that haven't already bought one to do so at the event.
    So are you eating my shoe or yours?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are you eating my shoe or yours?
    I am currently putting hot sauce on a nice pair of Kenneth Coles. They're a little salty from the outside weather.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believed you (even though I didn't want to)
    I just wanted to see someone eat a shoe

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of us are a little idealistic and naive at times.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have preferred more hoopla instead of hoopbla

TFC TV is a great way to get this presser out to all the people - not sure if not having online access would really drive someone to take time off work to head down. I think it's great that they are showing it.

Year 1
    Fans invited to unveiling of team logo and name
    Fans invited to press conference for signing of Robbo at the Beir Markt
    Fans invited to JB Press conference at Scallywags
    Fans invited to Mo press conference at Scallywags
    Fans invited to pub to meet and greet at The Bottom Line with new signings in attendance

Year 3
    Autograph signing in team store
    Like I said. True malaise. As long as the monkey's spend they will not put in the effort. The PR Director has bottled this completely, this is child's play. Simple. Paul seems so passionate about the club, I just wonder what happens when things like this transpire, who is truly running this ship? Could there be a mandate to not spend anything on events because they are so confident that they will not lose the fans a la the Leafs??? The question emerges again... Man. I really thought they got it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of us are a little idealistic and naive at times.
    Some also have expectations based on the past... But I do see your point. This is the new way... How can we push merch to the dancing monkey's. Fair game, the rosy glasses are off and we are now following a "proper club".

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said. True malaise. As long as the monkey's spend they will not put in the effort. The PR Director has bottled this completely, this is child's play. Simple. Paul seems so passionate about the club, I just wonder what happens when things like this transpire, who is truly running this ship? Could there be a mandate to not spend anything on events because they are so confident that they will not lose the fans a la the Leafs??? The question emerges again... Man. I really thought they got it.
    I've always been under the impression that creating passion and ownership for the supporters will be better for the club (financially) in the long run, than simply coming out with a lot of products and banking on fan loyalty.

You take a couple of extra steps to make this into a real "event" and give people a real experience - you will have them lining up at CentreSports.

I don't see how this excites the fans at all.

Dissapointed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see him eat his shoe! That'd be crazy!!!
    Like this....

...?