Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bye bye Becks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/en...aka-from-milan

Followed by this article in the top right corner of the page.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't care if Becks comes back or not... i think he's given the league some good recognition already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't blame him. Who would you want to pass the ball Kaka, Pato, Ronaldhinio or Edson Buddle?

IMO I think Becks came here to early and he should go back to Europe and for two more years and then come play in the MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The latest reports from Italy suggest the bald-headed chief is working to try and find a way of keeping 'Becks' for longer.
    That's some fine reporting right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should all want/need Becks to stay for at least this upcoming year and hopefully next year too...He is/was an incredible addition for MLS, and he can continue to work/create/inspire great things from everyone associated with MLS. He still has a lot of work to complete in the league....

We still need him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    I can't blame him. Who would you want to pass the ball Kaka, Pato, Ronaldhinio or Edson Buddle?

IMO I think Becks came here to early and he should go back to Europe and for two more years and then come play in the MLS
    uh, OBV Buddle...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as he is a soccer-mom-magnet-type-of-player in north america...him leaving mls is not good for the league...i thought he wanted to better promote footy here on a 5 yr. deal...if he goes he's an even bigger biatch
    Last edited by TheRenter; 01-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    I think we should all want/need Becks to stay for at least this upcoming year and hopefully next year too...He is/was an incredible addition for MLS, and he can continue to work/create/inspire great things from everyone associated with MLS. He still has a lot of work to complete in the league....

We still need him.
    By now, Beckham has done everything for MLS he can do on his own. If no other big name stars follow him to America he might as well go back to Europe. And it really doesn't look like any other team is planning to drop those kind of bucks on a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true that. freddie lunberg (sp?) doesn't quite match up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ac milan doesnt have the money to pay the mls for his rights. But i bet they could make a deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We overall quality of play to go up, not just star players. It is a team game, one great player makes you better, as a team, but he can only do so much. Beckhams presence on LA improved the quality of service to Ladycakes , so much that he had a great year, but the team overall has been shite.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Kaka doesn't strike me as the mercenary type like Patrick Vieira who would leave his long-time club at the drop of a hat- if he was, he'd have left two years ago along with the rest of the mass exodus from Milan, Fiorentina and Juve. I think he truly is the best player in the world, because he has skill that is arguably equal to that of Cristiano Ronaldo- or very close to it whatever your opinion may be- and he has the class and sportsmanship that Ronaldo so obviously lacks.

And who in their right mind would leave one of the biggest clubs in the world, playing with the likes of Beckham, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta and Pato for one trying to fend off relegation? Not me, anyway, no matter how much they paid me. Life is short and careers in football are even shorter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe becks served his purpose. he made the world take notice of MLS (even if then they laughed at it). At least now it's in the consciousness of fans, and more importantly footballers around the world. On the field, he drew in some huge crowds and probably turned a few fans onto the league. Was it worth the $$$?? who knows... but i still think if they had never brought him here, the league wouldn't be as far along in the public consciousness as it is now.

now they have to build on that, whether he stays or goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he will be back.... I'll take beer bets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I hate to say it, I think we need to get Becks back in order to help stave off the idea that the MLS is at best a vacation league for world footballers who still have skills to sell.

I keep hearing that players have 'interest' in the league, but I've yet to really see high profile players who are interested in playing in the MLS for anything other than a lot of money or as a holiday away from European pressures (or if they're struggling to find a first team spot).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait until he has a bad game or two. The Italian and English press will have him on the first plane back to LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stencils View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I think we need to get Becks back in order to help stave off the idea that the MLS is at best a vacation league for world footballers who still have skills to sell.

I keep hearing that players have 'interest' in the league, but I've yet to really see high profile players who are interested in playing in the MLS for anything other than a lot of money or as a holiday away from European pressures (or if they're struggling to find a first team spot).

What other reason could there be? I don't follow European leagues, but how often is the deciding factor really something other than the most money?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHawk View Post
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/en...aka-from-milan

Followed by this article in the top right corner of the page.
    Holy Crap ! Imagine. Kaka in a Man City kit... it boggles the mind.

edit - to the post that follows this one : will he be joining Man City as well then ?
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 01-13-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

MUFC_Niagara

I agree 100%.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hold on. Just noticed that Goal.com's got Greg Lalas on staff. What a shit mag.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHAHAHAHA LOL awesome post.
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Beckam went to the MLS purely for money and to promote himself in America. I remember when I heard he was going and I couldn't believe it but when I read how much he was getting paid I understood why he made the move to a certain degree. I was still shocked that he would pick money over the possibility of playing at the highest level for a few years and potentially winning major trophies. You only get one career and if it were me I would want to win as many important trophies as possible plus it is not as if he would have been paid pennies in Europe.

The money Man City is apparently offering for Kaka is insane as there is no player worth 100 million pounds. The wages of 500,000 pounds a week is even worse. I for one hope that this is just press talk as this cannot be good for football at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll be coming back to MLS, I have no doubt.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Becks will be back in MLS this season. He has a get out clause after 3 years of his contract.

The rumour I heard was that Becks would play this season and Milan would pick him up on a full transfer in November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea whether he is going or not. I haven't talked to the guy lately, however..... My Ex teaches his kids Gymnastics somewhere down in California, so maybe if he shows up between now and then I can score some insider info. (I wouldn't hold breath on that one though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaka already said he doesn't want to leave Milan. So why are people (English media/EPL fans) still linking him to EPL?

As for Mr. Posh, MLS wouldn't let him go unless Milan made an offer that MLS couldn't refuse to turn down. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he doesn't, that actually stands as a better hit to MLS's rep than if he stays. If he stays, Eurofans will always say 'well, he was washed up anyway,' whereas if he can start for Milan after two years in MLS.....

Plus, he knows where his bread is buttered. You can bet every time he's asked, the latter is going to be the answer.

So it goes down like this: Galaxy get a buttload of money for him, likely in the $20-25 million range, he voids his contract, Milan gets a good player and ten times what it paid in spinoff cash (the Galaxy, despite their reported profit of just a few mil, allegedly sold 250,000 Beckham jerseys in his first year.)

Then when he's 36, he comes back to the league, plays out a couple of years and takes over as celebrity/club owner.

The Galaxy then gets a healthy fee from Bayern for Donovan, and, MLS rules being what thy are, is allowed to spend some of the, say, $30 million total on rebuilding the club.....say, $700,000.

Everybody wins (except those fan types. Monetarily, everyone wins.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem was the Galaxy needed to thrive.

I think if he stays it's due to the fact he didnt succeed in carrying that team like he thought he could (e.g. Lebron James + the cavs of old, Roberto Luongo and the Canucks, Ladanian Tomlinson + Chargers...etc)

I just can't see him and Donovan leaving Galaxy... My $ is on only 1 leaving for good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most logical view is that he does come back in March but the leaves for good in November. He'll make some sort of statement about how soccer in the US is the future of the game, MLS will make him League General Secretary for World Football/MLS Relations or some other bullshit title and he'll go and play in Europe through the WC. Then he'll retire, return to the US and get a ownership stake in the Galaxy and maybe become the director of football there.