Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    but if DERO were to go to europe, im pretty sure that TFC would get a boat load of money from the xfr fee

Depends on where he goes and how much he goes for really. Nothing saying it's guaranteed we would get as much as either the Edu or Altidore transfers.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would think there might be a team or two in Europe willing to pay for arguably a top 3 player from MLS over the past 5 years.

But he's older, so probably Mo Edu money or a bit more. But still, he'd earn more than $600k over there. I don't blame him for exploring his options there...
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on some of the rumblings that I've heard, it really isn't a stretch to say that there is a 50/50 chance that DeRo may not ever (this year) pull on a TFC jersey.

Amazing how much things can change in a couple of weeks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

800K allocation.
    add $500k, say allocation from the transfer fee
    =$1.3 million.

You can get a decent player or 2 for $1.3 mil.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMFG no DeRo and no DP!?!?!?!?! I quit.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    I have to think that if DeRo doesn't come through that there will be more pressure to get a DP. Given that the DeRo cap issue will be gone.

We still need to build a team. We still need to shore up the backline. This is sports. Shit like this happens all the time...as happy as I was about us getting DeRo, he's only one guy and he wasn't going to win us a cup on his own (though I'd take him over almost anyone else in a cup final match!).

So now that Mo's been thrown a curve ball (maybe Houston wasn't hosed so badly after all?) we need to see how he reacts and what gets done.

I get the feeling maybe DeRo didn't really want to come to Toronto.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming that you're being tongue in cheek.

It's a big if - but if DeRo doesn't end up playing for TFC, it will certainly be a blow and really dissapointing.

Personally though - no one player is bigger than the jersey, so if this DeRo saga ends with him playing somewhere else, then so be it.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm convinced he didn't want to come to Toronto (at this point in his career).

Other than this being his home town, what are the positives associated with the move to TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I was only 'happy' at the first announcement. After that things seemed to get fishy. Personally I think Jan 5th was supposed to be when DeRo would have been traded to a club in Europe, but something didn't work out as planned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh man......this is getting really weird, really quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have to think that if DeRo doesn't come through that there will be more pressure to get a DP. Given that the DeRo cap issue will be gone.

We still need to build a team. We still need to shore up the backline. This is sports. Shit like this happens all the time...as happy as I was about us getting DeRo, he's only one guy and he wasn't going to win us a cup on his own (though I'd take him over almost anyone else in a cup final match!).

So now that Mo's been thrown a curve ball (maybe Houston wasn't hosed so badly after all?) we need to see how he reacts and what gets done.

I think he wanted to come later on in his career. When he really didn't have much left think we would give him one last $400k contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just want the off-season to be over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I'm convinced he didn't want to come to Toronto (at this point in his career).

Other than this being his home town, what are the positives associated with the move to TFC?

That's what I've been saying all along. People expect us to be able to just up and sign anyone, Canadian or not. Realistically, we don't have much to offer in the way of incentives to possible pick ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if this were to happen the question is... did Mo know all this going into the deal?
    If thats the case, then he pretty much just sold Julius James for what is likely "somewhere" close to the 1.5 million mark.
    He then has even more allocation money to sign a strong CB (who is significantly better than Julius James) as well as being able to sign a DP without the 400,000 salary cap hurting nearly as much.
    How fucking brilliant would that be? I mean seriously, if it turns out that way, it'd be hands down, the most brillant piece of deal making in MLS history.
    Last edited by Stryker; 01-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's what I've been saying all along. People expect us to be able to just up and sign anyone, Canadian or not. Realistically, we don't have much to offer in the way of incentives to possible pick ups.
    So much truth in this statement!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it strangely amusing, that for some reason there is this need that a DP needs to be a player not in our league before.

Why can't DeRo be our DP? He's a big name in Canadian Soccer, he's proven himself a leader, a goal scorer, a creator. Yet were looking for some big European name that might come and do less, (see Laurent Robert)

He's shown his ability to ignite the crowd and just from his All-Star appearance when he was picked up by our cheering. How much better did he play? Did he not look like a superstar out there.

Scheletto has proven himself a very important piece for Columbus, so they've made him their DP where he previously wasn't catagorized as a DP.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    i just want the off-season to be over.
    I know what you mean. It feels like a giant headache.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdiddy View Post
    I find it strangely amusing, that for some reason there is this need that a DP needs to be a player not in our league before.

Why can't DeRo be our DP? He's a big name in Canadian Soccer, he's proven himself a leader, a goal scorer, a creator. Yet were looking for some big European name that might come and do less, (see Laurent Robert)

He's shown his ability to ignite the crowd and just from his All-Star appearance when he was picked up by our cheering. How much better did he play? Did he not look like a superstar out there.

Scheletto has proven himself a very important piece for Columbus, so they've made him their DP where he previously wasn't catagorized as a DP.

Personally I think too many fans were thinking DeRo (on the cheap)+ seperate big name DP. Which is why some didn't like the idea of DeRo as a DP. Personally, I wouldn't be against it... but if we could get around it, I'd rather not.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    So if this were to happen the question is... did Mo know all this going into the deal?
    If thats the case, then he pretty much just sold Julius James for what is likely "somewhere" close to the 1.5 million mark.
    How fucking brilliant would that be?
    That would be amazing, but it's probably true. Houston knew that DeRo was looking at Europe, so moved to get rid of him. Mo saw that there's $$$ to be made with a transfer if DeRo goes, and if alternatively he could convince DeRo to stay, he'd get a quality player at a low trade cost.

Never underestimate trader Mo!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's my understanding that Columbus made Scheletto their DP because they had to. His salary last season was being supplemented by allocation money that is nolonger available (hence having to make him the DP to give him the extra cash).

I think DeRo's popularity and appreciation is greatly enhanced on these boards. Most non SG TFC supporters that I have talked to think the DeRo signing is amazing...but it's not like all their dreams have come true with his signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now are we mentally preparing to lose DeRo?

Sounds bleak to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why people shit on toronto so hard Beyond LA or NY, possibly Chicago, what does Seattle have to offer? RSL in Sandy Utah?! Commerce City Colorado?! Sure, we don't have a good pitch, but we offer wayyyyyy more than those three. Topping it off, players are paid in $US, meaning they make more money than if they were in the US just because of the currencies.

Glass is always half empty with some of you guys

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I agree.

Which is scary since it's Shag-no making this statement.

Gawd...why did I check the boards today? This is depressing me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That would be amazing, but it's probably true. Houston knew that DeRo was looking at Europe, so moved to get rid of him. Mo saw that there's $$$ to be made with a transfer if DeRo goes, and if alternatively he could convince DeRo to stay, he'd get a quality player at a low trade cost.

Never underestimate trader Mo!
    I had a thread after the trade, saying that there had to be an explanation as to why the price for DeRo was so absurdly low. I mostly was called names in that thread, and various people explained in excruciating detail how I didn't appreciate the potential greatness of Julius James.

I think this gets the closest to what may have actually gone down. DeRo may have tried to renegotiate, and/or say he was going to Europe, whatever it was, I think Kinnear knew he had a headache on his hands, and decided to move on, and take what he could get.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry...there just isn't any comparison between DeRo and Schelotto. GBS has succeeded in the highest levels of soccer in the world. The man is idolized in his country. His skill is unquestioned (as well as his petulance).

DeRo is a great player...but on the world stage, only comes off as average to maybe above average. In MLS, he is a star, but not at the level of a GBS. It's just that DeRo has spent more time in the MLS than GBS, otherwise, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    So now are we mentally preparing to lose DeRo?

Sounds bleak to me.
    We're just trying to find the silver lining in the situation.
    Regardless if De Ro plays here or goes abroad we win.
    He ethier plays for us or we just landed what is likely to be a significant chunk of allocation money we can then use to soften the blow of the DP cap hit and sign a CB who is better then the one we traded away.
    The whole thing is so brilliant its scary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc View Post
    I don't understand why people shit on toronto so hard Beyond LA or NY, possibly Chicago, what does Seattle have to offer? RSL in Sandy Utah?! Commerce City Colorado?! Sure, we don't have a good pitch, but we offer wayyyyyy more than those three. Topping it off, players are paid in $US, meaning they make more money than if they were in the US just because of the currencies.

Glass is always half empty with some of you guys

I'm not shitting on Toronto. Realistically, people from or around Toronto are going to think it's better than it is. Same with TFC fans, we think our club is the be all end all.

DeRo just came off 10 straight playoff seasons, 2 MLS Cups in 3 years. What exactly has Toronto been doing in the league? If he has a chance to play in Europe, which he has stated a few times throughout his career that he would like to have played there, he will probably take that opportunity.

People outside North America tend to really only think USA when they hear about the MLS, so it's no surprise that hinders our chances at picking up players already.

It's being more realistic than the people who 'shit on' Carver and Mo for not picking up any player that has ever been mentioned as a DP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    It's my understanding that Columbus made Scheletto their DP because they had to. His salary last season was being supplemented by allocation money that is nolonger available (hence having to make him the DP to give him the extra cash).

I think DeRo's popularity and appreciation is greatly enhanced on these boards. Most non SG TFC supporters that I have talked to think the DeRo signing is amazing...but it's not like all their dreams have come true with his signing.
    QFT...unfortunately.

And to make things worse...if in fact DeRo isn't really all that keen on playing here, then we have another "Laurent Robert" on our hands...the talent is not questioned, but the heart and dedication would need to be. We want people who will be here and will dedicate themselves to the success of the club as well as their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see a European team being interested in a 30 year old De Ro. He wouldn't make an impact on a quality team. Between salary and marketting opportunities that would be available to him in Canada and not in Europe, he'd end up making the same money here as he would for a 2nd tier European team...but we'd be able to guarantee him playing time etc. which wouldn't be a given for him over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I can't see a European team being interested in a 30 year old De Ro. He wouldn't make an impact on a quality team. Between salary and marketting opportunities that would be available to him in Canada and not in Europe, he'd end up making the same money here as he would for a 2nd tier European team...but we'd be able to guarantee him playing time etc. which wouldn't be a given for him over there.

Sorry, but I bet he could find a team that would pay him more than $600k a year without much problem.